270soft Forum

What are the top three races you follow and why? Can be any of the Gov, Sen, Rep, even Mayor races.

My top three are TX Sen. because it's my home state, the amount of enthusiasm here for the Democrats, and the closeness of this supposed to be safe R race. The AZ Sen. race because no matter who wins they will be the first elected woman Senator from Arizona. Plus it looks like the Democrats might win a Senate seat there for the first time I think in like 20-30 years. And lastly is the GA Governor's race; because if Abrams win will be the first black woman Governor and of course just the history, plus the polling seems close. So what's your three?

1.VT Governor,my home state plus we could get first transgender governor in history!

2.NY-14,i love Alexandria almost as much as i do with Bernie.

3.FL Governor,Andrew Gillum is a great progressive and a potential first black governor of Florida

43 minutes ago, Harris/Ernst 2020 said:

What are the top three races you follow and why? Can be any of the Gov, Sen, Rep, even Mayor races.

My top three are TX Sen. because it's my home state, the amount of enthusiasm here for the Democrats, and the closeness of this supposed to be safe R race. The AZ Sen. race because no matter who wins they will be the first elected woman Senator from Arizona. Plus it looks like the Democrats might win a Senate seat there for the first time I think in like 20-30 years. And lastly is the GA Governor's race; because if Abrams win will be the first black woman Governor and of course just the history, plus the polling seems close. So what's your three?

Alberta Provincial - well, because I can vote here, the election issues directly affect me, and I'm a career provincial employee - and it's had an interesting history, where, to date, five different political parties have held government over the 113-year history of the province, and each has, to date, held government during a specific solid, uninterrupted period, and not again, to date, thereafter, and every government has had an absolute majority - which means, every time the government changes, the incumbent always gets hammered at the polls, and the new governing party gets big majority just like that. In fact, such an upset just occurred in the last election in 2015. As for the other two, I cast my nets of interest of elections I follow quite wide - in a global scale, in fact - but very fickle otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Rodja said:

1.VT Governor,my home state plus we could get first transgender governor in history!

3.FL Governor,Andrew Gillum is a great progressive and a potential first black governor of Florida

Do you think that Gillum has a better chance of winning over what Graham did? Also I know a little about Alexandria but why is everyone obsessed with her? She reminds me of Ted Cruz and Obama she gives off that she has presidential aspersions in 2-4 years so she is campaigning for other candidates. Of course I could be totally wrong.

Just now, Patine said:

Alberta Provincial - well, because I can vote here, the election issues directly affect me, and I'm a career provincial employee - and it's had an interesting history, where, to date, five different political parties have held government over the 113-year history of the province, and each has, to date, held government during a specific solid, uninterrupted period, and not again, to date, thereafter, and every government has had an absolute majority - which means, every time the government changes, the incumbent always gets hammered at the polls, and the new governing party gets big majority just like that. In fact, such an upset just occurred in the last election in 2015. As for the other two, I cast my nets of interest of elections I follow quite wide - in a global scale, in fact - but very fickle otherwise.

When's the next election? Next year?

4 minutes ago, Harris/Ernst 2020 said:

When's the next election? Next year?

Although I did vote for Rachel Notley and her New Democratic Party (Canadian social democrats), who won in 2015, they haven't nearly lived up to the promise and hype of their government, but I'm certainly NOT voting for the United Conservative Party (a fusion of the Progressive Conservative Party, defeated in 2015 after 41 years in power) with the much further right-wing, U.S. Republican-party-influenced Wildrose Alliance in the wake of the PC government defeat, and the Alberta Liberal Party has been a very "limp" affiliate of the Liberal Party of Canada since the '70's. I think I'll likely be voting for the moderate, centrist, and level-headed Alberta Party - and their leader, Stephen Mandel, is a former Mayor of Edmonton, my home, so I'll have a decent idea of how he'll be as a leader, at least.

1.WV-3, not my race but Richard Ojeda is a person I'd be honored to have represent my state. 

2.NY-14,  Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez represents the very best of what the next generation of Democratic candidates will be. 

3.FL-Gov, Andrew Gillum is a great man, and a great choice for Florida's first black governor, it's going to be especially interesting with a person like DeSantis as his opponent.

10 hours ago, Harris/Ernst 2020 said:

Do you think that Gillum has a better chance of winning over what Graham did? Also I know a little about Alexandria but why is everyone obsessed with her? She reminds me of Ted Cruz and Obama she gives off that she has presidential aspersions in 2-4 years so she is campaigning for other candidates. Of course I could be totally wrong.

Well,i dont have anything to say against Graham and would support her if she won,but yes Gillum has a bigger chance of winning because he motivates massive voter turnout.Alexandria is like  Bernie but female and 50 years younger,in about 15 to 20 years i hope i will be able to proudly call her my President.

7 hours ago, WVProgressive said:

2.NY-14,  Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez represents the very best of what the next generation of Democratic candidates will be. 

If this is the case, then y'all are in some serious trouble.

8 hours ago, Rodja said:

I must vehemently dissent.

7 hours ago, WVProgressive said:

She has no idea what she's talking about when pressed for details and seems to represent a feeling-based segment gaining a foothold in both parties which I much detest.

My top 3 are all about turning the South Blue:

Texas Senate Race 

Florida Governor Race

Georgia Governor Race

Honorable Mention:

Any of the PA US House seats that could flip from Red to Blue. 

Arizona Senate Race

Ohio Governor Race

Florida Senate Race

Wisconsin Governor Race

1. Florida senate race: Scott vs. Nelson - that's the race and for me the most amazing clash this year.

Every election is a nail-baiting event for me so it's hard to pick only two others but here they are (generally I like Senate elections a bit more than gubernatorial elections)

2. Tennessee senate race

3. North Dakota senate race

1. Iowa Governor Race (my state)

2. Arizona Senate Race (competitive and good candidates left standing)

3. Georgia Governor (very different candidates, curious to see how it turns out)

1. Montana Senate (Rosendale is one of the best Republican nominees this cycle and might be able provide a sneaky victory for the Republicans)

2. Wisconsin Governor (Scott Walker has done a great job keep dealing with the issues in Wisconsin, but this will be a test of his political machine)

3. KY-06 (My district; Pits an accomplished incumbent against a first time liberal candidate)

Honorable Mention:

FL Gov (DeSantis would be a great governor)

GA Gov (The Republican nominee's awesome commercial)

MS Sen Special Election (A true conservative candidate trying to knock off the establishment's appointed woman)

ME Sen (Eric Brakey might be the best Republican nominee in the US although it is a longshot bid)

Massachusetts Governor's race (Baker's obviously going to win, but it'd be nice to see Bob Massie win the Democratic nomination)

Massachusetts Secretary of State race (It's about time we replace Bill Galvin, Josh Zakim would be a great progressive choice)

Texas Senate race (I doubt O'Rourke will win, but I'd like to see how close he can make it)

FL-Sen - Even though the governor race seems a lot more interesting in terms of setting milestones and pushing boundaries, the senate race is going to be amazing to watch. Trump popularity there is actually still decent which favors Scott, plus Scott ended his term with gun control reform which was perceived greatly and hes a popular governor. That being said, Bill Nelson has held that seat since 2001 so clearly Scott's name holds a lot more weight than I personally thought it did for it to be 50-50.

Tex-Sen - I don't know how to feeeel about this one. Though I find myself moving more and more left wing ECONOMICALLY, I still adore Cruz's social policies. I feel like O'Rourke is definitely a great public speaker but I can't support him, doesn't feel real to me. Gonna be fun to watch though, Republicans on this forum probably hoping it ends up like the Kentucky race in 2014 where McConnell was barely leading in polls before securing a 10%+ lead.

Ma-Gov - I just wanna see the margin Baker wins. lol

1 hour ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

1. Florida senate race: Scott vs. Nelson - that's the race and for me the most amazing clash this year.

Every election is a nail-baiting event for me so it's hard to pick only two others but here they are (generally I like Senate elections a bit more than gubernatorial elections)

2. Tennessee senate race

3. North Dakota senate race

5 minutes ago, wolves said:

FL-Sen - Even though the governor race seems a lot more interesting in terms of setting milestones and pushing boundaries, the senate race is going to be amazing to watch. Trump popularity there is actually still decent which favors Scott, plus Scott ended his term with gun control reform which was perceived greatly and hes a popular governor. That being said, Bill Nelson has held that seat since 2001 so clearly Scott's name holds a lot more weight than I personally thought it did for it to be 50-50.

Tex-Sen - I don't know how to feeeel about this one. Though I find myself moving more and more left wing ECONOMICALLY, I still adore Cruz's social policies. I feel like O'Rourke is definitely a great public speaker but I can't support him, doesn't feel real to me. Gonna be fun to watch though, Republicans on this forum probably hoping it ends up like the Kentucky race in 2014 where McConnell was barely leading in polls before securing a 10%+ lead.

Ma-Gov - I just wanna see the margin Baker wins. lol

Neither of you chose electoral races you could vote (or theoretically vote) in and that would directly affect you like I did?

8 minutes ago, Patine said:

Neither of you chose electoral races you could vote (or theoretically vote) in and that would directly affect you like I did?

Lool first of all I thought it's just about the US and secondly there are not any upcoming elections in Austria or at least in Vienna this year. :P

1) SC-01 Congressional race. My district, and this district will be an indicator of how strong the blue wave might be, since coastal South Carolina hasn't elected a Democrat to the House since the 1980's.

2) Texas Senate race- The idea that an openly liberal man is within the margin of error in the state that gave the nation the Bush family is interesting. I'm curious how relatively Republican leaning counties such as Tarrant will vote in this race. 

3) Georgia Governors race. The first black woman that wins a major party nomination against a man, and her victory could end the meme of "x candidate isn't electable". That said, if she wins, expect the Democratic party to invest heavily in this state in 2020. 

1 minute ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Lool first of all I thought it's just about the US and secondly there are not any upcoming elections in Austria or at least in Vienna this year. :P

How often are Austrian elections? Every 4 years?

16 minutes ago, Patine said:

We sadly don't have devolution on a large scale in a state like system in the UK (despite Blair's attempts in the early 2000s) so theres not much I can vote on..

Just now, Sunnymentoaddict said:

Parliamentary elections every 5 years regularly. Most state parliaments as well 5 years, however, Upper Austria has 6 year terms. 

1 minute ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

I think their Nationalrat (national legislature), Landtag (state legislatures), European Parliamentary, and Presidential (useless waste of an election, as I understand) elections are staggered from each other.