270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
wolves

PM USA - Massachusetts State Election 2002

(I hope this doesn't anger @RI Democrat, especially as I've done a good 50% of this already and its taken me atleast 5 hours. I doubt he cares very much but it'd be nice if he wants to pick up the scenario again.)

This scenario is basically an expansion on RI Democrat's Prime Minister USA, a sadly unfinished but very ambitious scenario that has a bit of alternative history added in (obviously) where the USA takes a similar path to Canada in that it is a Westminister democracy with a Lieutenant Governor. The idea is based around the 2002 gubernatorial election in Massachusetts where Mitt Romney becomes the premier in the State following a very contested state election. In RI Democrat's scenario there's a split between the left wing with a more centrist liberal party and a more traditionally left wing with centre-left tendencies in the Labour Party (a bit like Ed Miliband era Labour Party) and as such it was much harder for me to create a specific backstory for this scenario because figures like John Kerry (who is an MP in this story and goes on to lead the Liberal party) and the Kennedy's are huge forces within the Commonwealth so the Liberals can't be written off of course. I'd really like RI Democrat's assistance so I can help realize the alternative history story he was originally preparing to create using the 270soft engine. (This is kind of why I've picked something not referenced in the 2008 scenario. I do have something written but it may need expanding.)

It's around 50% complete, I have a few regions left to complete but it's at a pretty fast pace and should be around 80-100 seats after all the regions are complete. I have done all the flags, parties and leaders (unless I want to add more later) and I need to finish issues (as is usual.) Debates and endorsers too but that shouldn't take very long at all. I should have it done by tomorrow OR the day after unless RI Democrat wants to give some output.

I'm definitely not a New England politics junkie so any assistance would be grand.

I wanna make this a bit more expansive, on the same level as say, the Confederacy scenarios from about a year ago which chronicled atleast 50+ years.

Fine with me, wolves. The one suggestion I'd make is this: part of the history is that, while Labour and the Liberals are allies at the federal level, they aren't always allies at the state level, especially in states where one of them is dominant and can typically win majorities without the other assisting, and at times there have even been Liberal-Conservative coalitions in Labour-dominated states. Massachusetts would probably be very Labour-dominated under most circumstances, so I'd suggest that, rather than trying to win a majority for the Conservatives for Romney to become Premier, the goal should be to reduce Labour to a minority and have the Conservatives win more seats than the Liberals, such that a Conservative-Liberal coalition would take power with Romney as Premier and leader of the state Conservative Party. (Even when Romney won IRL, the legislature remained heavily Democratic, so an outright Conservative majority in MA might be stretching plausibility a little.)

I'd leave John Kerry out of the picture, as my history has him as a federal MP going back to at least the early '90s, and given the close Labour-Liberal federal cooperation, he wouldn't want to be associated with a possible state-level coalition with the Conservatives. (In fact, this becomes an issue between him and Howard Dean when the two square off for the Liberal leadership and Kerry criticizes Dean for having led a Liberal-Conservative coalition in Vermont at one point.)

I ended up making the scenario into a timeline for alternatehistory.com, though it's on hold at the moment while I work on a British timeline. Here's the link if you're interested:

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/america-as-parliamentary-democracy-2002-present-rebooted.415091/

6 hours ago, RI Democrat said:

Fine with me, wolves. The one suggestion I'd make is this: part of the history is that, while Labour and the Liberals are allies at the federal level, they aren't always allies at the state level, especially in states where one of them is dominant and can typically win majorities without the other assisting, and at times there have even been Liberal-Conservative coalitions in Labour-dominated states. Massachusetts would probably be very Labour-dominated under most circumstances, so I'd suggest that, rather than trying to win a majority for the Conservatives for Romney to become Premier, the goal should be to reduce Labour to a minority and have the Conservatives win more seats than the Liberals, such that a Conservative-Liberal coalition would take power with Romney as Premier and leader of the state Conservative Party. (Even when Romney won IRL, the legislature remained heavily Democratic, so an outright Conservative majority in MA might be stretching plausibility a little.)

I'd leave John Kerry out of the picture, as my history has him as a federal MP going back to at least the early '90s, and given the close Labour-Liberal federal cooperation, he wouldn't want to be associated with a possible state-level coalition with the Conservatives. (In fact, this becomes an issue between him and Howard Dean when the two square off for the Liberal leadership and Kerry criticizes Dean for having led a Liberal-Conservative coalition in Vermont at one point.)

I ended up making the scenario into a timeline for alternatehistory.com, though it's on hold at the moment while I work on a British timeline. Here's the link if you're interested:

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/america-as-parliamentary-democracy-2002-present-rebooted.415091/

I left John Kerry out of the picture entirely. I mainly focused on people who were lauded to run for governor between the late 90s and the early 2000s. I originally had the Liberals and Labour in a coalition but this seems like it makes a lot more sense due to the fact that the Conservatives in New England states would be more liberal. This actually makes the scenario a lot easier because I've tried to be (somewhat) realistic with the seat count so I do find myself losing a majority of the time with the Conservatives unless I pile billboards ads which I'm considering etting rid of through editing the text documents cause of that.

I'll have a read through your timeline shortly. Hoping you like the scenario enough to let me make ones for other states such as California. (I was originally just going to go ahead with my own canon but I enjoyed how much effort you put into yours.)

FYI, I called this a "state election" cause I noticed thats what Australia does and they run a system similar to Canada in terms of devolution. I did realize in your original scenario you labelled the constituencies as "ridings" akin to what Canada does. I was just wondering if the states are now referred to as provinces alike Canada or am I using the right terminology? (May be a useless question but I'm just hoping I get this 100% right.)

13 minutes ago, wolves said:

I left John Kerry out of the picture entirely. I mainly focused on people who were lauded to run for governor between the late 90s and the early 2000s. I originally had the Liberals and Labour in a coalition but this seems like it makes a lot more sense due to the fact that the Conservatives in New England states would be more liberal. This actually makes the scenario a lot easier because I've tried to be (somewhat) realistic with the seat count so I do find myself losing a majority of the time with the Conservatives unless I pile billboards ads which I'm considering etting rid of through editing the text documents cause of that.

I'll have a read through your timeline shortly. Hoping you like the scenario enough to let me make ones for other states such as California. (I was originally just going to go ahead with my own canon but I enjoyed how much effort you put into yours.)

FYI, I called this a "state election" cause I noticed thats what Australia does and they run a system similar to Canada in terms of devolution. I did realize in your original scenario you labelled the constituencies as "ridings" akin to what Canada does. I was just wondering if the states are now referred to as provinces alike Canada or am I using the right terminology? (May be a useless question but I'm just hoping I get this 100% right.)

Sounds good. I do use the term "state" in my TL, though you are correct that I borrowed the Canadian term for seats. I figure that there would be something of a mix of terminology, with some of it closer to RL and some of it closer to the British and/or Canadian terms.

What you'd probably see in the New England states is that some of the "liberal Republicans" from RL would simply be in the Liberal Party, which would be part of why they might team up with the Conservatives to unseat Labour in a traditionally Labour-dominated state like Massachusetts, whereas it would be nearly impossible for the Conservatives to win a majority on their own (requiring them to outpace Labour *and* the Liberals combined in terms of seats). Romney himself would still be in the Conservative Party, though my plan was actually to make him a federal Conservative MP from a riding in Utah rather than replicate his Massachusetts career.

But feel free to run with your own canon as you see fit. If you want to try to follow mine, you'll pick up a few additional details if you read the timeline on AH.com - I know I had California under a Liberal/Labour coalition as of 2002 with the party leaders being Jane Harman and Phil Angelides, respectively, and I also specified FDR, Hugh Scott, and JFK as past Prime Ministers.