270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Political Party Baseball League

Political Party Baseball League (read first post first)  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in seeing updates about this baseball league (see first post)

2. 2. Which team will you root for? (see first post)

• Democrats
    • Republicans
    • "Founders" (Federalists, Whigs, and Jeffersonian Democrats)
    • "Outliers" (Major 3rd party nominees)

Mid-Season Report

Standings

Democrats 51-29

Republicans 43-39

Founders 43-39

Outliers 26-56

Leaders

Batting Average: .383, John B. Anderson 

Home Runs: 25, Teddy Roosevelt

RBIs: 86, Teddy Roosevelt

Hits: 131, John B. Anderson

Runs: 76, James Madison

Doubles: 34, John B. Anderson

Triples: 5, William Henry Harrison and Barack Obama

Stolen Bases: 21, Andrew Jackson

ERA: 1.19, George Washington

Wins: 10, Abraham Lincoln and Woodrow Wilson

Losses: 10, Peter Cooper

Saves: 18, George Washington

Strikeouts: 117, Franklin D. Roosevelt

Lincoln and the Republicans Best FDR and the Democrats 5-3!

Republican starter Abraham Lincoln was in fine form against the Democrats at Republicans Ballpark, leading his team to a 5-3 win. Chester A. Arthur was credited with the save. He has now successfully converted 16 of 18 save opportunities. The Republicans have now won 6 straight. The Republicans got a big at-bat from pinch hitter George H. W. Bush. For the game, Bush was 1-1 with a double. In the bottom of the seventh, with runners on 1st and 2nd, he stroked a run-scoring  double. His 27th double of the season gave Washington a 4-3 lead. "Nice to put this one in the win column," said Bush.

Hubert Humphrey and Thomas Dewey had 3 hits each for their respective teams. Humphrey hit a triple at one point.

James A. Garfield has 2 RBIs (45 on the season)

Grover Cleveland and Jimmy Carter struck out 3 times each. Cleveland's batting average is down to .359.

Barack Obama stole his 14th base. 

Franklin D. Roosevelt committed 2 errors (he had only 1 error before this game.)

The loss goes to James Buchanan who gave up 3 hits and 2 runs on 6 batters.

Abraham Lincoln threw 77 strikes in 118 pitches! 12 were strikeouts. Lincoln's record is now 11-1. 

Outliers Shock Baffled Democrats, 12-8!

The Outliers topped the Democrats,  12-8, at Democrats Ballpark. Washington left fielder Strom Thurmond earned player of the game honors. He banged out 3 singles and 1 double, while driving in 3 runs. Even with the win, the Outliers have a dismal 28-58 record. Ralph Nader, who is tied for 10th in doubles with 16, chipped in for the Outliers with a grand slam home run in the top of the seventh. For the game, the third baseman had 3 hits in 6 at-bats with 1 home run, 2 singles, 2 runs scored, and 4 RBI. Nader told the Washington Citizen: "Sometimes the big stage is not big enough for me."

John B. Anderson, despite being on the worst team, still has the highest batting average in the league with .388!

Four outliers had 3 or more hits! The team had 15 total hits!

Eugene V. Debs was walked 4 times!

Andrew Johnson struck out 3 times. 

Starting pitcher Ron Paul was no help to his team, as he gave up 9 hits and 5 runs in 3 innings. 

James Buchanan is credited with the loss after giving up 6 runs in a brief stint in relief.

The win is more impressive considering the Outliers have 6 major players injured, while Democrats have only Andrew Jackson on the disabled list. 

Truman Lifts Democrats Over Lincoln Led Republicans 5-4!

Democratic third baseman Harry S. Truman played a vital role in his team's 5-4 triumph over the Republicans. He was 4-4 with a home run, a double, 2 singles,  and a walk, while scoring 2 runs and driving in 2 for Democrats. Woodrow Wilson got credit for the win, improving to 13-3. He allowed 4 runs on 8 hits in 8 innings. Democrats are now 58-36. The win puts them 6 games up in their division. Had Hubert H. Humphrey not delivered a key base hit in the top of the seventh, the outcome might have been different. Instead, with two down and runners on 1st and 2nd, Humphrey hit a run-scoring single. That made the score 5-4, in favor of the Democrats. "I'll probably toss and turn tonight," Abraham Lincoln said following the tough loss.

Harry S. Truman is now batting .364, surpassing Grover Cleveland as the team leader in batting average. 

Ulysses S. Grant had 3 RBIs, giving him 45 on the season. He also had a triple. 

Franklin Pierce struck out 5 times! A League record! Strangely, he is batting .332 on the season. 

Harry S. Truman and John F. Kennedy both hit home runs. 

John C. Fremont stole 2 bases, giving him 21 for the season. 

Abraham Lincoln hit Barack Obama with a pitch. 

Woodrow Wilson, who got the win, managed only 2 strikeouts in 8 innings somehow.

Martin Van Buren got his 16th save. 

Abraham Lincoln stuck out 12 batters in only 5 innings.

Relief pitcher Gerald Ford was credited with the loss. 

END OF REGULAR SEASON

STANDING

Democrats 103-58
Founders 92-69
Republicans 78-83
Outliers 49-112

STATISTICS

Batting Average:
1. .398, John B. Anderson
2. .384 James Madison
3. .378 Harry S. Truman
4. 371 George HW Bush
5. 357 Grover Cleveland

Home Runs:
1. 50 Teddy Roosevelt
2. 28 John F. Kennedy
3. 22 Harry S. Truman
4. 19 Henry Clay
4. 19 Grover Cleveland

RBIs:
1. 175 Teddy Roosevelt
2. 170 John F. Kennedy
3. 144 Grover Cleveland
4. 141 Harry S. Truman
5. 127 William Henry Harrison

Hits
1. 227 John B. Anderson
1. 227 Grover Cleveland
3. 226 James Madison
4. 219 Franklin Pierce
5. 217 Teddy Roosevelt

Runs
1. 150 Barack Obama
2. 146 James Madison
2. 146 Franklin Pierce
4. 141 John F. Kennedy
5. 140 Andrew Johnson

Doubles
1. 60 James Madison
2. 50 John B. Anderson
2. 50 George HW Bush
4. 49 John C. Fremont
5. 47 Andrew Johnson

Triples
1. 12 William Henry Harrison
2. 10 Barack Obama
3. 8 John C. Fremont
4. 6 Warren G. Harding
4. 6 Eugene McCarthy

Stolen Bases
1. 37 Barack Obama
2. 32 John C. Fremont
3. 23 Eugene McCarthy
4. 21 Andrew Jackson
5. 14 Franklin Pierce

ERA
1. 2.42 Franklin D. Roosevelt
2. 2.57 George Washington
3. 2.87 Woodrow Wilson
4. 3.06 Hillary Clinton
5. 3.70 Abraham Lincoln

Wins
1. 22 Woodrow Wilson
2. 19 Abraham Lincoln
3. 16 Thomas Jefferson
4. 14 John Quincy Adams
4. 14 DeWitt Clinton
4. 14 Franklin D. Roosevelt

Losses
1. 16 Clinton Fisk
2. 14 Ron Paul
3. 12 Peter Cooper
3. 12 Richard Nixon
3. 12 Henry A. Wallace

Saves
1. 30 George Washington
2. 29 Martin Van Buren
3. 22 Chester A. Arthur
4. 12 Calvin Coolidge
5. 8 Hillary Clinton

Strikeouts
1. 252 Abraham Lincoln
2. 243 Woodrow Wilson
3. 229 Franklin D. Roosevelt
4. 168 Thomas Jefferson
5. 162 James Monroe

Notable single game records:
Benjamin F. Butler had 6 hits 
Teddy Roosevelt had 3 home runs 
Henry Clay and Aaron Burr had 9 RBIs .
John C. Fremont and Barack Obama each stole 3 bases. 
Woodrow Wilson and Abraham Lincoln had 13 strikeouts pitched

GAME 1 of the WORLD SERIES 

Democrats Beat Founders 10-8 in the 10th Inning! 

Founders were winning 7-1 heading into the 9th inning! 

Henry Clay and Grover Cleveland had 4 hits. 

Hubert Humphrey and Barack Obama had 3 RBIs. Barack Obama had one home run. 

John Adams and John Tyler were walked 3 times.

Andrew Johnson hit the game winning two-run home run after having struck out 3 times in the game!

George Clinton had a triple and a home run, and he was hit by a pitch.

Starting pitcher Thomas Jefferson was solid, giving up 1 run in 7 innings. After him, Rufus King and George Washington gave up 4 runs each. John C. Calhoun gave up the winning home run, handing him the loss. 

Starting pitcher Adlai Stevenson was pulled early after Founders took a large lead early on.

Martin Van Buren is credited with the win.  

Barack Obama was player of the game for his crucial home run in the 9th inning. 

GAME 2 of the WORLD SERIES

Democrats are Now 2-0 in the World Series After 2-1 Victory Over Founders

John F. Kennedy had 3 hits. 

Starting pitcher James K. Polk pitched 8 innings, giving up only 1 run and striking out 6 batters. Polk as player of the game. 

Martin Van Buren, winner of game 1, earned the save. 

Starting pitcher John Quincy Adams pitched only 4 innings for the Founders, giving up only 1 run, but he had given up 7 hits.

Relief pitcher Rufus King was credited with the loss. 

William Henry Harrison was injured while running bases. 

GAME 3 of the WORLD SERIES

Democrats 3-0 After 21-3 Thrashing of Founders

Lewis Cass hit a grand slam. Harry S. Truman, Franklin Pierce, Benjamin Franklin, and John Adams also hit home runs. 

Harry S. Truman had 4 runs and was named player of the game. 

Three total batters were hit by pitches!

Starting pitcher Woodrow Wilson earned the win with 8 strike outs and giving up only 3 runs in 6 innings. 

Starting pitcher James Monroe gave up 7 runs in 3 innings, earning him the loss. John C. Calhoun replaced Monroe but gave up 5 runs in 1 inning. 

GAME 4 of the WORLD SERIES

Founders Come From Behind to Defeat Democrats 9-8; the series is now 3-1 Democrats. 

Democrats were leading 7-1 until the 6th inning. 

James Madison had 3 hits and was named player of the game.

John F. Kennedy had 4 RBIs and a home run. Lewis Cass also hit a home run. 

Benjamin Butler (formerly of the outliers) was walked 4 times!

Democrats committed 3 fielding errors.

Starting pitcher Franklin D. Roosevelt was pulled after 5 inning, despite having given up only 1 run. 

Relief pitcher Hillary Clinton gave up 3 runs, and she was replaced by Lyndon B. Johnson who botched a save opportunity. Martin Van Buren was credited with the loss, however. 

Closing pitcher George Washington was credited with the win, and was the 7th pitcher used by the Founders. 

Starting pitcher DeWitt Clinton was pulled in the 4th inning. 

GAME 5 of the WORLD SERIES

Democrats Win the World Series After 5-3 Victory!

Lewis Cass proved the hero of the game with a 3 RBI effort. He's been crucial in the World Series, with 2 home runs total, despite having been mediocre during the season. Cass was player of the game and deserved to be MVP of the World Series. 

James Madison was held to only 1 hit in 5 at bats. 

Starting pitcher Bill Clinton got the win despite giving up 3 runs and 8 hits in 6 innings and only 4 strikeouts. 

Martin Van Buren received his 2nd save

Starting pitcher Thomas Jefferson was credited with the loss, giving up 5 runs in 6 innings. He had 8 strike outs. 

I finally caved and bought the game due to this series. Let me know if you can get the rosters over in any way at all! I am ecstatic to give it a shot! 

11 hours ago, CalebsParadox said:

I finally caved and bought the game due to this series. Let me know if you can get the rosters over in any way at all! I am ecstatic to give it a shot! 

It's a cool game. I like to start all the way back in the beginning. I'll send you my roster files. There has to be a way to get them to work or why would they allow players to export or import rosters? I've just not been successful in getting them to show up. I could be doing something wrong. 

Actually, before I send you the files, I want to edit the rosters. I made the players their actual inauguration ages and they retire too soon and run out of energy too soon. The upside is that all the backups generally get to play, but it would be fun to play multiple seasons with the roster without the entire league retiring. 

33 minutes ago, vcczar said:

It's a cool game. I like to start all the way back in the beginning. I'll send you my roster files. There has to be a way to get them to work or why would they allow players to export or import rosters? I've just not been successful in getting them to show up. I could be doing something wrong. 

Actually, before I send you the files, I want to edit the rosters. I made the players their actual inauguration ages and they retire too soon and run out of energy too soon. The upside is that all the backups generally get to play, but it would be fun to play multiple seasons with the roster without the entire league retiring. 

You could try and scale it. For example, JFK could be twenty two, while Franklin could be closer to 33/34. 

1 hour ago, CalebsParadox said:

You could try and scale it. For example, JFK could be twenty two, while Franklin could be closer to 33/34. 

I'm just going to make them all like 18 or something, so they have long careers. I could then make their potential equal to how great they ended up becoming and their initial ratings based on how far along the road they were to the presidency in their early career. 

POLITICAL PARTY BASEBALL LEAGUE AWARD WINNERS

World Series Champions: The Democrats

Most Valuable Player: Woodrow Wilson (22 wins 5 losses 2.87 ERA)

Cy Young Pitcher of the Year: Woodrow Wilson (22 wins 5 losses 2.87 ERA)

Relief Pitcher of the Year: George Washington (13 wins 4 losses 30 saves 2.92 ERA)

Gold Glove winners: P-Abraham Lincoln, C-John Adams, 1B-John P. Hale, 2B-John F. Kennedy, 3B-Harry S. Truman, SS-John C. Fremont, LF-George H. W. Bush, CF-Barack Obama, RF-Theodore Roosevelt. 

Platinum Stick Award: Same as above except, Grover Cleveland is the catcher and James Madison is the left fielder

@ThePotatoWalrus and anyone else that had any passing interest in this league. If I can figure out how to reuse rosters I saved, I may do a new league that is online and multi-player. 

4 hours ago, vcczar said:

I'm just going to make them all like 18 or something, so they have long careers. I could then make their potential equal to how great they ended up becoming and their initial ratings based on how far along the road they were to the presidency in their early career. 

I like this idea a lot, actually. This could lead to some interesting developments, such as the Outliers having very successful early seasons but sputtering off drastically as the seasons pass. How does this setup work with free agents and trades, and scouting? And how did you get a simple four team setup?