270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Political Party Baseball League

Political Party Baseball League (read first post first)  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in seeing updates about this baseball league (see first post)

2. 2. Which team will you root for? (see first post)

• Democrats
    • Republicans
    • "Founders" (Federalists, Whigs, and Jeffersonian Democrats)
    • "Outliers" (Major 3rd party nominees)

I've made a 4-team baseball league that I will be simulating as the GM for every team on Out of the Park Baseball. I have made historical teams to encompass major political presidential candidates. Wikipedias presidential ranking aggregate rank will be used to determine their ability. Anyone that didn't win the presidency will be at the lowest overall ability that I'll use (2 of 5 stars). 

Here are the teams:

Democrats: Jackson, Van Buren, Polk, Cass, Pierce, Buchanan, Douglas, A. Johnson, Tilden, Cleveland, Bryan, Wilson, Smith, F. Roosevelt, Truman, Stevenson, J. Kennedy, L. Johnson, Humphrey, Carter, B. Clinton, Gore, Kerry, Obama, H. Clinton

Republicans: Fremont, Lincoln, Grant, Hayes, Garfield, Arthur, BHarrison, McKinley, Th. Roosevelt, Taft, Hughes, Harding, Coolidge, Hoover, Dewey, Eisenhower, Goldwater, Nixon, Ford, Reagan, GHW Bush, GW Bush, McCain, Romney, Trump

Founders: Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Burr, CC Pinckney, R. King, D. Clinton, Madison, Monroe, Clay, Calhoun, Crawford, JQ Adams, WH Harrison, Tyler, Fillmore, Taylor, Scott, White, Webster, Mangum, Jay, G. Clinton, Hamilton, Franklin

Outliers: Wirt, Floyd, Hale, Bell, Breckinridge, Weaver, Debs, La Follette, Thurmond, H. Wallace, G. Wallace, Anderson, Perot, McMullin, G. Johnson, Stein, Nader, Birney, Cooper, Butler, E. McCarthy, Ron Paul, Lemke, Thomas, Fisk

I meant to put Yes; seems like an interesting concept to do in your spare time.

Republicans defeat Democrats 6-2

The Republicans stymied the Democrats 6-2, at Republicans Ballpark. Theodore Roosevelt, who had a good day at the plate, was named player of the game. He went 3 for 5 with a home run and 2 singles, while adding 4 RBI and scoring once for the Republicans. Chester A. Arthur finished to wrap up his 4th save. Losses have been rare for the Democrats, who are now 5-2. In the top of the seventh, Barack Obama stood in the box, looking for a pitch to hammer. The Democrats were trailing 5-2, but had runners on 2nd and 3rd. That's when Barry Goldwater made a terrific pitch and Obama flied out. Gone was the dream of a Democrat comeback.

GHW Bush and Teddy Roosevelt led with 3 hits. 

John McCain was hit by a pitch from LBJ.

George W. Bush had two errors.

George W. Bush pitched 9 strikeouts in 5 innings, and he was named the winning pitcher.

FDR had 6 strikeouts in 4 innings, and he was named the losing pitcher. 

Both teams used 5 pitchers each.

Republicans defeat Democrats 5-4 (Republicans winning series 2-0)

The Democrats and Republicans provided some drama at Republicans Ballpark. Republicans escape with a 5-4 win. The win in large part was due to shortstop George H. W. Bush, who earned player of the game honors. He was 4-4 with 2 doubles and 2 singles. Calvin Coolidge got credit for the win, improving to 2-1. He allowed no runs on no hits in 1 innings. Benjamin Harrison closed the game out for Washington, earning his 1st save. Warren G. Harding was 1-3 for the Republicans. The 56-year old center fielder had a key at-bat in the bottom of the eighth. With one out and runners on 2nd and 3rd, he broke a 4-4 tie with a run-scoring  sacrifice fly off James Buchanan. It was his 5th RBI of the season. "I like the roll we're on right now," said Bush after the game. The Republicans, now 8-1, have played some good baseball in the early going.

All 4 Democratic runs were from walks when the bases were loaded! Hoover and Goldwater walked a batter twice each with bases loaded! 

Jimmy Carter struck out 3 times. 

John F. Kennedy was walked 3 times.

William H. Taft managed 2 doubles despite being the slowest person in the league.

LBJ (a relief pitcher) had 3 strikeouts in his only full inning. 

Benjamin Harrison earned a save despite being a backup fielder! Republicans had used 4 pitchers and their entire pitching staff was exhausted. 

@ThePotatoWalrus you mentioned interest. I'll put updates on the league here. Two games are listed above. The italicized text is the "write-up" from the game itself. I add extra details below that. 

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@ThePotatoWalrus you mentioned interest. I'll put updates on the league here. Two games are listed above. The italicized text is the "write-up" from the game itself. I add extra details below that. 

I didn't see this. Thanks for bringing it to attention. Once NBA 2K19 comes out I might do a basketball one in the Finals.

Democrats defeat Republicans 7-3 for their first win in this series!

The Democrats topped the Republicans 7-3 in Political Party League action at Republicans Ballpark. The player of the game was Democrat pitcher James K. Polk. In 7 innings, Polk surrendered 4 hits, while striking out 4 and  walking 3. He allowed 3 runs. Hillary Clinton finished to wrap up her 2nd save. Democrats used the clutch hitting of Al Gore to capture the win. The center fielder drilled a 2-run  double in the top of the sixth inning to give the Democrats the lead, 6-3. For the game, Gore had 1 single and 1 double in 4 at-bats. "Throwing strikes was the main thing," Polk said. The Democrats raised their record to 6-3.

This game was sloppy for the Republicans through and through. 

Somehow Warren G. Harding was the best Republican in this game, scoring 2 RBIs. 

John McCain is batting .125 for the season! He also had two errors in this game. 

Chester A. Arthur drilled Al Gore with a pitch late in the game, nearly injuring Gore. 

Andrew Jackson stole the first base in this series.

Republicans used 7 pitchers in this game!

Donald Trump, a relief pitcher, faced only 5 batters. He walked 2 of them and gave up 2 hits on others. Both hits led to runs for the Democrats. 

@ThePotatoWalrus @Kingthero @WVProgressive @NYrepublican @jvikings1 @Sunnymentoaddict  @Reagan04 See the two games above if you haven't already. 

I'm just going to post the games that end up having really interesting results. 

3 minutes ago, Kingthero said:

when do founders/third parties play?

They've been playing. I've been just reporting on the two major parties. I'll do some of their games at some point. I'll probably start picking the games based off pitching matchups. I have to watch the simulations to get the end of game report. Otherwise I just get a boxscore. 

Democrats defeat Republicans 10-9 in Wild Game!

Democrats turned back the Republicans, 10-9, at Democrats Ballpark. Harry S. Truman was named player of the game for his fine performance. He was 2 for 3 with a home run and 2 walks, while adding 4 RBI and scoring once. Democrat reliever Hillary Clinton picked up the win, upping her record to 2-1. Calvin Coolidge was saddled with the loss. Democrats, now 12-5, has gotten their season off to a good start. Lewis Cass was the walk-off hero for the Democrats. With the game tied in the bottom of the ninth inning, the Democrats catcher hit a dramatic run-scoring  single to send the teams home."We'll pop the top on a cold one and get back to work tomorrow," Cass said.

For much of the game, Democrats were winning 7-2. A terrible late inning by the Democrats saw the game result in a tie. 

Teddy Roosevelt and John McCain had 3 hits for the Republicans.

Thomas Dewey and Grover Cleveland struck out 3 times. 

Franklin Pierce was hit by a pitch twice! Once by George W. Bush and once by Donald Trump. 

Andrew Jackson stole 2nd base and 3rd base on back-to-back pitches. 

FDR had 10 strikeouts in 6 innings

LBJ gave up 5 runs in just over an inning, which allowed the Republicans to tie the game after a 7-2 lead. 

Donald Trump faced 13 batters, giving up 3 hits, two walks, and 3 runs. The two walks, one a hit batter, occurred when the bases were already loaded. 

Barack Obama was injured in the 6th inning. 

10 hours ago, CalebsParadox said:

Is there a way to upload your rosters into my game?

Are we friends on Steam? I have saved the roster and the league template, but I don't know how to load these so that they work. I also have a historical league with like 500 historical figures, and I've never been able to get that roster file to bring up the rosters. You might be able to figure this out if I send you the files. 

Democrats Come from Behind to Defeat Founders 11-6!

The Democrats topped the Founders, 11-6, in Political Party League action at Democrats Ballpark. The player of the game was Washington shortstop Jimmy Carter. The Founders fall to 11-14 and continue to sputter in the early going. Franklin Pierce  hit a 2-run  double off Winfield Scott in the bottom of the eighth, which put the Democrats in front, 8-6. In addition to the double, Pierce had 1 single, while going 2 for 5. "One win at a time, one game at a time. We try not to get too far ahead of ourselves," Carter told the Washington Observer.

At one point the Founders were winning convincingly at 5-2. 

Henry Clay had 3 hits for the Founders; Harry S. Truman and Barack Obama had 3 hits each for the Democrats. 

Franklin Pierce and Andrew Jackson had 3 RBIs each. 

Jimmy Carter and Andrew Johnson were each walked 3 times. 

James Madison is batting .392 for the season!

Andrew Jackson had 2 stolen bases, giving him 12 for the season. 

Henry Clay, Benjamin Franklin, and Andrew Jackson each hit a home run. 

The Founders used 6 pitchers.

Relief Pitcher Winfield Scott gave up 4 runs in half an inning, which led to him getting credit for the loss.

Starting Pitcher Alexander Hamilton gave up 6 walks in his 3 innings. 

Starting pitcher Bill Clinton gave up 6 runs, while Relief Pitcher Hillary Clinton had a solid game, racking up the win. 

6 hours ago, vcczar said:

Are we friends on Steam? I have saved the roster and the league template, but I don't know how to load these so that they work. I also have a historical league with like 500 historical figures, and I've never been able to get that roster file to bring up the rosters. You might be able to figure this out if I send you the files. 

We are friends, but I've not played the game before. I will play it for certain if your historical league is usable though.

6 minutes ago, CalebsParadox said:

We are friends, but I've not played the game before. I will play it for certain if your historical league is usable though.

I'll let you know if I can get it to work. The mechanics for this game are not very intuitive in some areas. 

Democrats Destroy Republicans 16-2 in the Battle for First Place! 

With second baseman John F. Kennedy leading the charge, the Democrats defeated the Republicans, 16-2, at Democrats Ballpark. Kennedy, who is tied for 3rd in extra base hits with 12, was 3 for 5 with 2 doubles. He drove in 6 runs and scored once. Woodrow Wilson earned the win to go to 3-1. He allowed 2 earned runs on 5 hits, with 2 walks and 5 strikeouts.  Democrats, now 18-7, have played well in the early going. Kennedy had a big at-bat with the bases loaded in the bottom of the fifth inning, when he hit a bases-clearing double. The Democrats went on to win. "We'll relax tonight and get back after it tomorrow," Kennedy said after the game.

John C. Fremont and James A. Garfield scored both Republican RBIs. 

Four Democratic players had 3 hits. 

Harry S. Truman had 3 RBIs

Jimmy Carter was walked three times. 

Woodrow Wilson hit Teddy Roosevelt with a pitch.

Grover Cleveland and Andrew Jackson hit home runs. 

Starting pitcher Richard Nixon gave up 8 runs on 9 hits in just over 3 innings. 

Woodrow Wilson pitched 8 innings. 

Democrats Hold Lead Despite Ronald Reagan Grand Slam

A 4-RBI performance from Andrew Jackson, who leads with a 1.192 OPS, helped the Democrats beat the Republicans, 8-6. Franklin D. Roosevelt went 6 innings for Democrats to pick up the win. The right-hander was charged with 2 earned runs. He scattered 4 hits, while walking 2 and striking out 4. His record improves to 3-1. The Democrats, now 19-7, have been red hot. Andrew Johnson, who is tied for 4th in runs scored with 23, chipped in for  Democrats with a grand slam home run in the bottom of the fourth. For the game, the right fielder had 2 hits in 3 at-bats with 1 home run, 1 single, 2 runs scored, and 4 RBI. "I guess it's not time to put me out to pasture yet," said Jackson.

Democrats now lead Republicans by 2 wins.

All of the Republicans points were scored in the 7th inning. 

Andrew Johnson and Ronald Reagan both hit grand slams, possibly the first two of the season. 

Andrew Jackson had 4 hits. 

Mitt Romney is batting .158 for the season. 

Harry S. Truman is batting .380 for the season.

Dwight D. Eisenhower hit Franklin Pierce with a pitch. He also now has a losing record at 2-3. 

Martin Van Buren earned his 4th save. 

Founders Defeat Democrats 1-0 in Defensive Battle

The Founders picked up a win at Democrats Ballpark, knocking off the Democrats, 1-0. Starting pitcher Thomas Jefferson was an essential part of his team's success. With the win, The Founders are to 20-21, while the Democrats fall to 26-14.The Democrats had trouble solving Jefferson, who surrendered no earned runs on 4 hits over 8 innings. "Throwing strikes was the main thing," Jefferson said.

Benjamin F. Butler, who had been released by the Outliers and picked up by the Founders, had the only RBI of the game when he hit a solo home run. 

Grover Cleveland is batting .417 for the season!

Three batters were hit by pitches!

George Washington earned his 11th save of the season. 

Democrats Destroy Ailing Outliers, 25-0!

Jimmy Carter helped his team muscle past the Outliers, 25-0. In the game, the Democratic shortstop went 3-4 with 3 singles and 2 walks, while scoring 3 times and driving in 3. Franklin D. Roosevelt got the win, improving to 5-1. He pitched 7.1 innings, giving up 4 hits and no runs, while striking out 10 and walking 1. The losses continue to mount for the Outliers, which has now dropped 10 in a row. Andrew Jackson, who leads in stolen bases with 19, chipped in for  Washington with a 2-run  home run in the top of the second. For the game, the designated hitter had 2 hits in 5 at-bats with 1 home run, 1 single, 3 runs scored, and 4 RBI. "As well as we've been playing, I think we can play even better," said Roosevelt.

The Outliers have 9 major injuries on their roster! Including Ross Perot who is out for the entire season! 

The Outliers were about as productive as a 3rd party in a US General Election. They had no chance, especially with the injuries. 

Barack Obama and Jimmy Carter had 3 hits each. 

Barack Obama had 5 RBIs.

Andrew Johnson and Lewis Cass were walked 3 times each.

Eugene V. Debs was the only Outlier with multiple hits (2), despite batting .195 for the season.

Andrew Jackson's 2-run home run was the only home run in this blowout. 

Henry A. Wallace hit JFK with a pitch. 

Evan McMillian gave up 9 runs, 5 hits and 5 walks without earning a single out. This is probably the worst pitching performance of the season.  

Democrats Crush 2nd Place Founders 14-5!

John F. Kennedy left his imprint on the 14-5 Democrat win against the Founders. Kennedy, who is tied for 4th in extra base hits with 20, was 2 for 4 with 2 singles and 2 walks, while scoring 2 times and driving in 2. The Democrats have now won 6 straight. Barack Obama, who is on pace for 118 RBI this season, aided the Washington cause with a run-scoring  sacrifice fly in the bottom of the third. For the game, the center fielder went 1-3 with 2 walks. He scored 3 times and drove in 2. "We'll enjoy this win," said Obama. "But there's more we hope to accomplish."

Democrats had been battling for 1st place with the Republicans and Founders (Outliers distance in last place); however, Democrats have been dominant in the last few weeks, placing them well ahead in first. 

Andrew Johnson and Grover Cleveland had 4 hits each. Cleveland is batting .430!

Henry Clay led the game with 3 RBIs even though his team lost.

Harry S. Truman was walked 3 times. 

Founders couldn't hit the pitches. James Madison, despite batting .364 on the season, struck out 4 times! Benjamin Franklin struck out 3 times.

Despite losing, the Founders hit all three home runs in the game. William Henry Harrison, Henry Clay, and Benjamin Franklin each hit home runs, the last two off James K. Polk. 

James K. Polk hit George Clinton with a pitch.

William Henry Harrison and Henry Clay each committed 2 errors.

Starting pitcher Alexander Hamilton gave up 8 hits and 9 runs in three innings with 0 strikeouts.

James K. Polk struck out 11 batters in 5 innings.

Founders Defeat Wounded Democrats 7-5!

Harry S. Truman did all he could to help his team win. In the end, though, it wasn't enough to keep the Democrats from losing, 7-5, to the Founders at Democrats Ballpark. Truman went 2-4 with a home run and a walk. He drove in 4 runs and scored once. Thomas Jefferson picked up the win with 6 innings of work. He allowed 4 earned runs on 6 hits, while walking 5 and striking out 3. On the season, he is now 5-4. Earning his 13th save for the Founders was George Washington. Charles C. Pinckney  aided the Founders's cause with a run-scoring  single in the top of the first. For the game, the designated hitter went 2 for 2 with a double and a walk, while scoring 2 times. "We'll enjoy this win," said Pinckney. The Founders bumped their record to 27-24 with this latest triumph.

Andrew Jackson, easily a candidate for MVP, is injured for 7 months with a major knee injury. His injury will likely allow other teams to catch up. 

Benjamin Franklin had 3 RBIs, including a solo home run. 

Benjamin F. Butler, a pickup from the Outliers, had 3 hits. 

Bill Clinton hit Benjamin Franklin with a pitch. He also earned the loss in this game giving up 5 runs, despite getting 6 strikeouts, in 4 innings. 

Democrats Manage Hard Fought 6-4 Win Against Republicans!

Democratic starter Franklin D. Roosevelt pitched effectively against the Republicans at Republicans Ballpark. The right-hander led his team to a 6-4 win. Washington reliever Hillary Clinton picked up the win, upping her record to 5-1. Chester A. Arthur absorbed the loss. Democrats are now 35-16, 8 games up in the the league. John F. Kennedy, who is tied for 10th with a .436 on-base percentage, aided the Democratic cause with a run-scoring  walk in the top of the ninth. For the game, the second baseman drew 2 walks in 5 trips to the plate. "Nice to see our side come away with the win," Kennedy said after the game.

Starting pitcher Abraham Lincoln went into the game with a 6-0 record, but he was pulled once the game was tied, preventing him from earning a win or a loss. 

Harry S. Truman had 3 hits.

Teddy Roosevelt struck out 3 times.

Barack Obama and Franklin Pierce had home runs, both off Abraham Lincoln. 

Warren G. Harding and Mitt Romney had triples, both off Franklin D. Roosevelt.

Franklin D. Roosevelt had 8 strikeouts in 7 innings. 

Hillary Clinton's 5-1 record is easily the best record for any relief pitcher, and better than most starting pitchers in the league.

Martin Van Buren earned his 7th save.

Relief pitcher Chester A. Arthur now has a 1-5 record. 

Abraham Lincoln Leads Republicans to 7-1 Victory Over Democrats

The Democrats went down to defeat to Abraham Lincoln and his Republican teammates. The final score was 7-1 in favor of the Republicans. The Republicans bumped their record to 37-37 with this latest triumph. Lincoln allowed 1 earned run on 5 hits over 8.2 innings for the Republicans. He walked 1 and struck out 11. "For the most part, I made good pitches when I needed to," said Lincoln.

Republicans were without Warren G. Harding who is injured. 

George H. W. Bush had 4 hits.

Hubert Humphrey and Lewis Cass struckout 3 times each. 

Grover Cleveland's batting average has dropped from .430 to .372 in less than a month. 

John McCain hit his 2nd home run of the season. 

Teddy Roosevelt extends his lead in home runs for the league with his 22nd home run. 

Rutherford B. Hayes and John C. Fremont were hit by pitches. 

Democrats used 6 pitches with Samuel J. Tilden giving up 4 of the runs. However, Lyndon B. Johnson earned the loss. 

Democratic pitchers Adlai Stevenson and Lyndon B. Johnson were both injured in the game. 

Founders Surprise Democrats 3-1

Franklin D. Roosevelt gave the Founders all they could handle, but in the end, the Founders left Founders Ballpark with a 3-1 win. Roosevelt allowed 1 earned run on 2 hits over 6 innings. George Washington was credited with the save. He has now successfully converted 18 of 21 save opportunities. The Founders bumped their record to 41-37 with this latest triumph. James Madison, who is tied for 2nd in hits with 106, aided the Founders cause with a 2-run  double in the bottom of the seventh. For the game, the left fielder went 2 for 2 with a double, a walk,  and was hit by a pitch. He drove in 2 runs and scored once. "Good pitching, clutch hitting," said Washington. "I can't complain."

Harry S. Truman was walked 3 times. 

James Madison is batting .383 for the season. 

James Monroe got the win despite being outperformed by Franklin D. Roosevelt. 

George Washington's ERA is 0.98 for the season!