270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LokiLoki22

Beto O'Rourke

How do you feel about Beto, as compared to many more extreme Democrats on the plate, and his opposition (Ted Cruz). At least he seems to be having a good time. He's been described as being on a "Suicide Mission", but might be well placed for a potential future. Plus I like him partially because I dislike Cruz.

22 minutes ago, LokiLoki22 said:

How do you feel about Beto, as compared to many more extreme Democrats on the plate, and his opposition (Ted Cruz). At least he seems to be having a good time. He's been described as being on a "Suicide Mission", but might be well placed for a potential future. Plus I like him partially because I dislike Cruz.

Do I have to?

20 minutes ago, LokiLoki22 said:

I've ignored him entirely.

43 minutes ago, LokiLoki22 said:

I have no idea who this person is, but given the framing text, it sounds like yet another off-the-rails, wonky, conspiracy-theory-spewing, incendiary, loud-mouthed, fringe, wacko extremist that are popping up like crab grass and gaining audiences and following on both extremes of the political spectrum constantly in the U.S. of late.

1 minute ago, lizphairphreak said:

He's polling within the margin of error of Cruz... Maybe it's time for some of you to learn who "this person" is.

Well, I guess it's to be expected in the modern U.S.' "Weimar Republic"-style politics where the extremes of the spectrum get large amounts of support, despite the destructive, divisive, disastrous, ill-informed, and overtly deceptive platforms they preach, and moderates and other sensible leaders get derided and scorned. This too I don't see a good end to...

23 minutes ago, Patine said:

I have no idea who this person is, but given the framing text, it sounds like yet another off-the-rails, wonky, conspiracy-theory-spewing, incendiary, loud-mouthed, fringe, wacko extremist that are popping up like crab grass and gaining audiences and following on both extremes of the political spectrum constantly in the U.S. of late.

Yea he's not like that at all

https://www.thenation.com/article/beto-orourke-has-found-a-new-way-to-run-for-the-us-senate-from-texas/

2 hours ago, lizphairphreak said:

He's polling within the margin of error of Cruz... Maybe it's time for some of you to learn who "this person" is.

That is true! I watch this race very closely. No Republican should take this win for granted

I think Beto O'Rourke is going to stay competitive with Cruz. O'Rourke is progressive enough, but still within the cone of acceptability for Texans. He isn't too partisan. For instance, he's friends with Republican US Rep. Hurd, and won't endorse Hurd's Democratic opponent, because he believes Hurd is a good representative. He and Hurd travel around Texas together regularly. 

44 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

That is true! I watch this race very closely. No Republican should take this win for granted

No political candidate or party in any polity with any free and fair, contested, constitutional electoral system should EVER take their victory for granted. The Canadian 1957 Federal Election (which I did a scenario for several years ago by the PM4E2008 engine) is VERY instructive in this.

I doubt he'll win, but perhaps this is just him earning his stripes as a campaigner. Certainly in the UK (don't know if it's the same in America), parties will put up young rising stars to fight battles in constituencies they aren't expected to win to give them some experience (like Tony Blair losing his deposit in a by-election only a year before he became an MP).

21 hours ago, Patine said:

Ah. @LokiLoki22's framing text's obliqueness was a bit misleading. :P

:( I do that sometimes, but I didn't mean that.

I live in Texas now and I am voting for Cruz. But Democrats down here seem to be less nuts than the north at least. 

2 minutes ago, jdm06ltd said:

I live in Texas now and I am voting for Cruz. But Democrats down here seem to be less nuts than the north at least. 

However, their ticket this year seems to be more in line with the northern and California Democrats

2 hours ago, jdm06ltd said:

How are you defining the word "nuts" here, out of curiosity - given it's usage it's purely subjective unless you're referring to edible shelled groundseeds.

gonna be interesting, democrats have an issue with turnout though

1 hour ago, wolves said:

gonna be interesting, democrats have an issue with turnout though

It's far easier to herd sheep to the polls! :P

i'm grabbing my popcorn

I don't expect a win here from him, but it'll definitely be interesting to see how close he can make it.

1 minute ago, Hestia11 said:

I don't expect a win here from him, but it'll definitely be interesting to see how close he can make it.

"Can I take Door Number Three, Monty?"

Oh, I forgot, this is the U.S. political system. There is almost never a door number three. :(

2 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Can I move to New Mexico and vote Gary Johnson?