270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LegolasRedbard

The British Presidential Election, 2015

So this is another one to add to my potential scenario list. Set in the alternative past of 2015, it portrays Britain as a United Republic following the fall of the monarchy in a turbulent period in 1999. The electoral system will be based off the French electoral system, with a run-off if no candidate gets over 50% of the vote, and (if @admin_270 adds it in the future) a two-round parliamentary election (if that's not added, I might just use the Additional Member System that is used in Scotland in Chancellor Infinity.)

The candidates will include all the major parties (with the Conservatives cross-nominated by the Democratic Unionists and Ulster Unionists, the Labour Party cross-nominated by the SDLP and potentially some smaller left-wing parties, the sub-national Greens running one candidate together, and the Scottish and Welsh nationalists running together), and multiple independent candidates (almost certainly including George Galloway)

Thoughts?

30 minutes ago, LegolasRedbard said:

So this is another one to add to my potential scenario list. Set in the alternative past of 2015, it portrays Britain as a United Republic following the fall of the monarchy in a turbulent period in 1999. The electoral system will be based off the French electoral system, with a run-off if no candidate gets over 50% of the vote, and (if @admin_270 adds it in the future) a two-round parliamentary election (if that's not added, I might just use the Additional Member System that is used in Scotland in Chancellor Infinity.)

The candidates will include all the major parties (with the Conservatives cross-nominated by the Democratic Unionists and Ulster Unionists, the Labour Party cross-nominated by the SDLP and potentially some smaller left-wing parties, the sub-national Greens running one candidate together, and the Scottish and Welsh nationalists running together), and multiple independent candidates (almost certainly including George Galloway)

Thoughts?

To be honest, given the political climate, culture, and heritage of the UK, I would STRONGLY see, if the monarchy was abolished and republic declared, any President being a pure ceremonial, figurehead office akin to the old monarch, similar to Portugal, Ireland, Germany, Italy, Austria, Hungary, Romania, Greece, Israel, India, Singapore, and a number of others, and the PM remaining the true apex executive political office. I can't honestly see a full Presidential system, or even a hybrid one like in France, gaining much support or traction in the UK.

16 hours ago, Patine said:

To be honest, given the political climate, culture, and heritage of the UK, I would STRONGLY see, if the monarchy was abolished and republic declared, any President being a pure ceremonial, figurehead office akin to the old monarch, similar to Portugal, Ireland, Germany, Italy, Austria, Hungary, Romania, Greece, Israel, India, Singapore, and a number of others, and the PM remaining the true apex executive political office. I can't honestly see a full Presidential system, or even a hybrid one like in France, gaining much support or traction in the UK.

I do agree with that, but I recon that the Republic's first president in this scenario, Tony Blair would have fought tooth and nail for an American system (his critics were not wrong when they accused him of attempting to bypass parliament and make decisions with his senior advisers), and the French style system was a compromise. The importance of the PM, when compared to the President, is something I plan to include as an issue in this (as in the backstory I have created, the President and Prime Ministers both have differing views on the EU, which has caused a lot of conflict between the parliamentary party and the President