270soft Forum
vcczar

Become President Game

I know this has been discussed several times on this board, but I thought I'd offer my thoughts. I think such a game should happen like this.

1) Set up

Select or randomize the following:

-- Parents (helps in determining your race, looks, height, stamina, IQ, DNA, early social status, early political beliefs, religion, etc.)

- Flaws: sociopath, too nice, narrowminded, flatulent, obese, cleft-lipped, stutter, impulsive, bigot, sex-addict, alcoholic, etc. 

- Strengths: Musician, radio show voice, athletic, creative, rational, polyglot, adaptable, high integrity, etc. 

-- Type of college, degrees, etc.

-- Post-college profession. 

2) Early phase I -- Age 25-30  -- become US Rep, Mayor, or non-politician. Very difficult to get elected, as you are without name recognition, experience, total issue knowledge, etc., but your stamina is very high and your charisma could arguably be higher. 

3) Early phase II -- Age 30-35 -- become Senate, US Rep, Mayor, Governor, Ambassador, Cabinet,or non-politician. Slightly easier than Early Phase 2, depending on the office you are aiming for. Issue knowledge and experience may be better. Stamina and charisma might be at its height. 

4) Early phase III -- Age 35-40 -- US Rep, Mayor, Gov, Senate, Ambassador, Cabinet, or non-politician. Very difficult only if you have not built up experience by this point. Stamina and Charisma might be at its height. 

5) Mid-phase - Age 40-60 -- Same as the above + Supreme Court Justice. Arguably the peak for a politician. Stamina starting to decline. Peak time to win the presidency, if you are charismatic. 

6) Late phase I - Age 60-70 -- Same as the above. Stamina and charisma declining. Experience and issue knowledge should be about at their peak at this point. Without much experience by this point, it will be almost impossible to win an office. Good time to run for president if you haven't done so already. 

7) Late phase II - Age 70-80 -- Same as above. Depending on your DNA, it could be the early stages of your decrepitude. Stamina, charisma, issue knowledge, debate skill could all be on the decline. Running for president is almost out of the question unless you are an insurgent candidate or have centralized power. 

8.) Late phase III - Age 80-100 -- Same as above. Mostly the same as below but powers have certainly diminished. On top of that, your own party is probably trying to get rid of you. You are constantly pressured to resign. 

At each stage, you would be forced to make decisions that either pull you to the mainstream of your party or towards the path of outsider. An insider is more likely to rise quickly and gain interparty support (even though interparty rivalries will occur). An outsider will have the hardest time rising unless they appeal to the more emotional impulses of their base. 

It would also be interesting if the game took into account relationships--friends, enemies, acquaintances, both within and without the parties.

Decisions you made in early phases to get ahead may come back to haunt you. 

An example of someone's timeline might be:

1. Early Phase 1 -- Student Loan Forgiveness Activist

2. Early Phase 2 - Mayor

3. Early Phase 3 - Lt. Governor

4. Mid Phase - Governor and Cabinet member

5. Late Phase 1 - Senator and unsuccessful presidential nominee

6. Late Phase 2 - Senator and unsuccessful presidential nominee

7. Late Phase 3 - Vice President

The end of the game would have several high scores, which would show you how you rank among other politicians in History. 

Obviously, the game would have more to it than this, and I'd provide more detail for my ideas, if I had time, but I'd like to see what you would all want to see in such a game. 

Nice list. I'd like to see you and others go more in-depth with this but it's a pretty good start. The DNA and parents stuff is a unique and interesting idea that I would have never thought of.

Don't hold me to this, but I might add a sample character creator thing to that prototype that I built earlier. Definitely not going to restart the project due to school/sports coming up and stuff, but I wanna see how this would fit in.

10 hours ago, vcczar said:

I know this has been discussed several times on this board, but I thought I'd offer my thoughts. I think such a game should happen like this.

1) Set up

Select or randomize the following:

-- Parents (helps in determining your race, looks, height, stamina, IQ, DNA, early social status, early political beliefs, religion, etc.)

- Flaws: sociopath, too nice, narrowminded, flatulent, obese, cleft-lipped, stutter, impulsive, bigot, sex-addict, alcoholic, etc. 

- Strengths: Musician, radio show voice, athletic, creative, rational, polyglot, adaptable, high integrity, etc. 

-- Type of college, degrees, etc.

-- Post-college profession. 

2) Early phase I -- Age 25-30  -- become US Rep, Mayor, or non-politician. Very difficult to get elected, as you are without name recognition, experience, total issue knowledge, etc., but your stamina is very high and your charisma could arguably be higher. 

3) Early phase II -- Age 30-35 -- become Senate, US Rep, Mayor, Governor, Ambassador, Cabinet,or non-politician. Slightly easier than Early Phase 2, depending on the office you are aiming for. Issue knowledge and experience may be better. Stamina and charisma might be at its height. 

4) Early phase III -- Age 35-40 -- US Rep, Mayor, Gov, Senate, Ambassador, Cabinet, or non-politician. Very difficult only if you have not built up experience by this point. Stamina and Charisma might be at its height. 

5) Mid-phase - Age 40-60 -- Same as the above + Supreme Court Justice. Arguably the peak for a politician. Stamina starting to decline. Peak time to win the presidency, if you are charismatic. 

6) Late phase I - Age 60-70 -- Same as the above. Stamina and charisma declining. Experience and issue knowledge should be about at their peak at this point. Without much experience by this point, it will be almost impossible to win an office. Good time to run for president if you haven't done so already. 

7) Late phase II - Age 70-80 -- Same as above. Depending on your DNA, it could be the early stages of your decrepitude. Stamina, charisma, issue knowledge, debate skill could all be on the decline. Running for president is almost out of the question unless you are an insurgent candidate or have centralized power. 

8.) Late phase III - Age 80-100 -- Same as above. Mostly the same as below but powers have certainly diminished. On top of that, your own party is probably trying to get rid of you. You are constantly pressured to resign. 

At each stage, you would be forced to make decisions that either pull you to the mainstream of your party or towards the path of outsider. An insider is more likely to rise quickly and gain interparty support (even though interparty rivalries will occur). An outsider will have the hardest time rising unless they appeal to the more emotional impulses of their base. 

It would also be interesting if the game took into account relationships--friends, enemies, acquaintances, both within and without the parties.

Decisions you made in early phases to get ahead may come back to haunt you. 

An example of someone's timeline might be:

1. Early Phase 1 -- Student Loan Forgiveness Activist

2. Early Phase 2 - Mayor

3. Early Phase 3 - Lt. Governor

4. Mid Phase - Governor and Cabinet member

5. Late Phase 1 - Senator and unsuccessful presidential nominee

6. Late Phase 2 - Senator and unsuccessful presidential nominee

7. Late Phase 3 - Vice President

The end of the game would have several high scores, which would show you how you rank among other politicians in History. 

Obviously, the game would have more to it than this, and I'd provide more detail for my ideas, if I had time, but I'd like to see what you would all want to see in such a game. 

I would definetly love this game!But there is a suggestion i would if you or anyone else on this forum or even Anthony himself decide to develop it:

-Add more depth to all offices,lile manage a city as Mayor and vote on and propose bills as Senator also when you become POTUS let us run the country and also go through post-presidency years.

Someone please develop this game or i will have to buy programming book.xD

It'd be interesting to skip ahead to later phases. Start off as an actor, pro wrestler, business leader or reality TV star and try and run for governor or president right off the bat.

This seems like a Politician Sims game and that is really cool but also seems really difficult to make-- I do think that one way this could work would be to perhaps start as an election sim (like the ones we have) where you then go into office and govern / prep for the next election-- or, if Anthony continues to grow the roles for Not Seeking/Undecideds, having an easy path to be able to endorse future candidates as you leave an office. I wonder if centralizing it just around one form of political office (likely an executive office like president or governor or mayor) would be the easiest way to start this in what we have already.

I wish @admin_270 would of took up an idea like this (actually this exact idea) as really he is the only bearer of political simulation at the moment (the only respectable one) 

18 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Nice list. I'd like to see you and others go more in-depth with this but it's a pretty good start. The DNA and parents stuff is a unique and interesting idea that I would have never thought of.

The DNA part could also be interesting if the game allowed for a dynasty. Who you marry or otherwise have kids with would have their parents DNA and her/his DNA also passed on to the kid. You may end up marrying someone to advance your career, but they may end up being an idiot from a family of idiots, then you're stuck progressing the career of your idiot son or daughter. Obliviously there is random chance too, so you could have a genius kid despite having an idiot spouse. , 

Just now, admin_270 said:

No time for a politician career sim at this point. Full plate with Infinity games for foreseeable future.

Is there any particular reason you don't allow PM's?