270soft Forum
IonicAmalgam

Relations Inevitably Tank

What is the point of getting relations up, if they are going to go down anyway once your character takes the lead in polls. I've found it consistently that once you take the lead in a race (even if you only have 30% of the vote and the other party has 29% of the vote), any formerly friendly parties, even those with a supply/confidence and nonaggression pacts, will begin to run attack ads and other aggressive actions. This will lower your relation no matter how much you perform positive spin for them. I think non aggression pact ought to prevent all types of negative actions (such as running attack ads, attack barnstorming) or at least prevent relations from deteriorating (also it needs to be longer than 20 days for such a low chance of getting one). Lastly Non Aggression Pacts/Coalitions should have a lower relationship threshold, only 25% chance at 94+ relations is kinda odd, especially as it's only 20 days and you'd have to give up PIP to get the odds higher (for a mere 5% chance).

TL;DR: If another party is 7% away from me on platform and I have done nothing but be nice to them, and they have basically no vote share, why should their relations deteriorate from 90 to 1 when I do nothing but help them.

26 minutes ago, IonicAmalgam said:

What is the point of getting relations up, if they are going to go down anyway once your character takes the lead in polls. I've found it consistently that once you take the lead in a race (even if you only have 30% of the vote and the other party has 29% of the vote), any formerly friendly parties, even those with a supply/confidence and nonaggression pacts, will begin to run attack ads and other aggressive actions. This will lower your relation no matter how much you perform positive spin for them. I think non aggression pact ought to prevent all types of negative actions (such as running attack ads, attack barnstorming) or at least prevent relations from deteriorating (also it needs to be longer than 20 days for such a low chance of getting one). Lastly Non Aggression Pacts/Coalitions should have a lower relationship threshold, only 25% chance at 94+ relations is kinda odd, especially as it's only 20 days and you'd have to give up PIP to get the odds higher (for a mere 5% chance).

TL;DR: If another party is 7% away from me on platform and I have done nothing but be nice to them, and they have basically no vote share, why should their relations deteriorate from 90 to 1 when I do nothing but help them.

The Law of Entropy applied to politics?

"even those with a supply/confidence and nonaggression pacts, will begin to run attack ads and other aggressive actions"

If you have a non-aggression pact, this should not be happening. I've noted this.

"Non Aggression Pacts/Coalitions should have a lower relationship threshold, only 25% chance at 94+ relations is kinda odd"

That's 25% per offer. You can make multiple offers per turn.

"If another party is 7% away from me on platform and I have done nothing but be nice to them, and they have basically no vote share, why should their relations deteriorate from 90 to 1 when I do nothing but help them"

It's difficult for me to comment on this without the particulars, and there might be a bug with non-aggression pacts as mentioned above, but parties that are closer together are often fighting for the same part of the electorate. That they are closer together often increases the likelihood of attacks, not decreases.

"That's 25% per offer. You can make multiple offers per turn."
Failures result in relationship loss and the pact is only 20 days which is very short when playing with Primaries on, you can burn 2-4 relationship with pacts which depending on how often the candidate makes the news can take more than 20 days to get back. It makes more sense with general election scenarios. Maybe make it longer if the election is further ahead?

" there might be a bug with non-aggression pacts as mentioned above"
They are able to: 1) Run attack ads against me, 2) Attack me in rallies and barnstorms (thanks to their Theme), 3) Have surrogates attack me. All of which lowers relations.

"
but parties that are closer together are often fighting for the same part of the electorate. That they are closer together often increases the likelihood of attacks, not decreases." They shouldn't drop in relations to 1. I mean, sure, they might drop from 94 to say 50 or even 40, but 1? These parties are close enough on the political spectrum, dropping relations affects other things such as coalition/supply confidence in the Prime Minister game. If Labour was in a minority government situation and needed SNP's vote share to prevent a Conservative PM, they would have gotten one. In the current system, unless a player wins a S&C agreement before taking the lead, they would never be able to get SNP or other parties support since the AI would run nothing but attack ads against the player ruining relations.