270soft Forum
IonicAmalgam

Game Randomly Decides to Write Blank Files as Savegame

If I have the game running for a long time, it'll randomly decide to write blank files (which cannot be loaded as a save game). This is like the 5th time I'm going to be restarting my campaign since I didn't bother doing intermediate backups. Argh.

My first guess is that it is related to a possible memory leak under certain circumstances, which could then affect save-load. The possible memory leak bug has been noted.

As a workaround, would it be possible for the game to attempt to write a savefile to a tempfile (eg append a ~ after the file name), see if it is successful, and then if so, overwrite the intended file by copying the contents over, and if not, showing the error message and not touching the old file? This would ensure that there is at least a savegame to recover from (the previous functioning autosave).
_____
As another note on save games, I wish the change save game directory thing was permanent or I have some way of configuring that permanently. My C drive is very tiny and the save games can get huge in size, I have the game on my D drive and I want to save there instead all the time but it's very annoying to have to re-navigate over every time.