270soft Forum
CalebsParadox

Are you renewing your PI subscription?

Are you renewing your PI subscription?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Are you renewing your PI subscription?

I will be waiting to see promised features added in that were supposedly in development nearly two years ago before renewing my own. 

2 minutes ago, CalebsParadox said:

I will be waiting to see promised features added in that were supposedly in development nearly two years ago before renewing my own. 

What does it cost and what is in it? (If you know)

It's the current game, but Anthony is moving to a subscription based model for his games (7$ a year I believe) Existing users are having their subscription end at the end of either August or September I believe.

1 minute ago, CalebsParadox said:

It's the current game, but Anthony is moving to a subscription based model for his games (7$ a year I believe) Existing users are having their subscription end at the end of either August or September I believe.

I will wait until he answers my question on a pertinent issue in the Game Feedback forums that he hasn't addressed for over a week thus far. If I don't like his answer, or he doesn't answer, or he answers evasively, all further Presidential and other elected singular executive apex election scenarios of any sort that I make will revert back to using P4E2008.

I already paid, since I want to be able to play the update with favorability. If it update ends up being underwhelming then I might not renew the next time. Nearly every PC game company makes games that are never really finished. I sort of miss the old days when console games and most PC games were fairly polished on day one. Although, those games were probably much simpler. If I were rich I'd have hire two employees for Anthony just to help in updating the games. 

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I already paid, since I want to be able to play the update with favorability. If it update ends up being underwhelming then I might not renew the next time. Nearly every PC game company makes games that are never really finished. I sort of miss the old days when console games and most PC games were fairly polished on day one. Although, those games were probably much simpler. If I were rich I'd have hire two employees for Anthony just to help in updating the games. 

I don't know. These TheorySpark games never struck me as intrinsically more complex or involved than another of my favourite computer games of all time - Civilization 2, which was released in 1996, and was my very first PC game, and which was also edited to make user scenarios and mods by editing bitmap and text files as well.

14 minutes ago, CalebsParadox said:

I wish he would have just asked for donations or made a kickstarter instead. I understand it's a ton of work to continuously update this game, but I also believe customers who buy a game under the impression that they'll be able to get the updates for it should be allowed to do just that. If he only made all future customers purchase a subscription that would make more sense to me, but I just feel it's bad practice to suddenly require past customers to pay more money for a product they already purchased, even if we were "grandfathered" in for a period of time. Not to mention the fact that we would have to pay for certain aspects of the game that were promised years ago (back when we were expecting them to be part of a free update), before the subscription model was even announced.

17 minutes ago, Patine said:

I will wait until he answers my question on a pertinent issue in the Game Feedback forums that he hasn't addressed for over a week thus far. If I don't like his answer, or he doesn't answer, or he answers evasively, all further Presidential and other elected singular executive apex election scenarios of any sort that I make will revert back to using P4E2008.

Please don't assume I'll see posts in the forum. Can you link to the question?

The subscription model has so far helped with the features so likely yes.

3 minutes ago, jnewt said:

I understand it's a ton of work to continuously update this game, but I also believe customers who buy a game under the impression that they'll be able to get the updates for it should be allowed to do just that. If he only made all future customers purchase a subscription that would make more sense to me, but I just feel it's bad practice to suddenly require past customers to pay more money for a product they already purchased, even if we were "grandfathered" in for a period of time. Not to mention the fact that we would have to pay for certain aspects of the game that were promised years ago (back when we were expecting them to be part of a free update), before the subscription model was even announced.

The choice I faced was between adding a subscription model (or something equivalent) and continuing to make substantive upgrades to the game, or not making any substantive updates at all. There's no third option which is "continue free and continue making substantive upgrades."

4 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Please don't assume I'll see posts in the forum. Can you link to the question?

I suppose I can understand if the thread title is not evocative of anything but unspecified, generic frustration, but I did tag you in it.

17 minutes ago, Patine said:

I don't know. These TheorySpark games never struck me as intrinsically more complex or involved than another of my favourite computer games of all time - Civilization 2, which was released in 1996, and was my very first PC game, and which was also edited to make user scenarios and mods by editing bitmap and text files as well.

Civ 2. 👊

@Patine @admin_270 If either of you want Civ2 I know of safe resources to get it.

Just now, NYrepublican said:

@Patine @admin_270 If either of you want Civ2 I know of safe resources to get it.

My CD-ROM still works. :)

Just now, Patine said:

My CD-ROM still works. :)

For those who don't still have the CDs

16 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

The subscription model has so far helped with the features so likely yes.

I'll be more convinced if he keeps to his schedule considering that what's promised is fairly massive,for example, more than 501x381 maps and resizeable windows requires changing package managers which is a pain to do.

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

I suppose I can understand if the thread title is not evocative of anything but unspecified, generic frustration, but I did tag you in it.

I only sometimes read threads I'm tagged in. If you have an important question, best way to get a response is to e-mail ( https://270soft.com/contact ).

23 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

The choice I faced was between adding a subscription model (or something equivalent) and continuing to make substantive upgrades to the game, or not making any substantive updates at all. There's no third option which is "continue free and continue making substantive upgrades."

I never said there was an option to "continue free and continue making substantive upgrades." I suggested asking for donations or making a kickstarter (or even charging for a 2020 update for the full-price of a regular game, rather than using a subscription). I just don't think it's great to make promises for features while people are under the impression that they'll get those features in free updates, and then switch to a subscription model. It resembles a bait-and-switch method; we've already purchased the game but it is, in a way, incomplete, since we were promised future updates. But we've already spent money on the game, so we have to keep paying so we can at least get those promised features. Again, I know there's a TON of work in making and continuously updating the game so I understand that it is necessary, I just wish there was another way.

I did a few weeks ago

Probably not, I have to check how this would work with a credit card.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

@admin_270 Is there anyway I can use debit from a Canadian bank?

His company is in Canada so I'd assume yes.

2 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

His company is in Canada so I'd assume yes.

My bank is actually headquarted in the same city his city his company is, I believe. :P