270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Who Is America: Sacha Baron Cohen

3 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

It won't be long until "intellectually disabled" is offensive., I see "intellectually different" then "intellectually diverse" and finally added in with other disorders into an encompassing and even celebrated "neurodiversity" movement coming down the pipeline.

Ehhhh, I disagree. It's definitely possible, I mean, there has been a push to replace the word "disabled" with "differently abled", but I don't see "intellectually disabled" being considered offensive. It's not like that phrase is often used in a derogatory way; "retarded" usually is used in a derogatory way. I suppose it could happen, though.

4 minutes ago, jnewt said:

Ehhhh, I disagree. It's definitely possible, I mean, there has been a push to replace the word "disabled" with "differently abled", but I don't see "intellectually disabled" being considered offensive. It's not like that phrase is often used in a derogatory way; "retarded" usually is used in a derogatory way. I suppose it could happen, though.

Retarded was once the medically preferred term, things change and people will likely begin to find the connotation of "disabled" offensive and it will be differently abled or just different, but we don't want people to be "different" anymore, so it's diversity now.

Just now, Reagan04 said:

Retarded was once the medically preferred term, things change and people will likely begin to find the connotation of "disabled" offensive and it will be differently abled or just different, but we don't want people to be "different" anymore, so it's diversity now.

Yeah basically. Just like how "black" is starting to become the new "colored" now.

9 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

But people only found "retarded" to be offensive because it was used in a derogatory manner. Personally, I don't think I've ever heard "intellectually disabled" used in a derogatory manner. If people do start using "intellectually disabled" in a derogatory way, then I agree, it probably will be replaced with another term.

3 minutes ago, jnewt said:

But people only found "retarded" to be offensive because it was used in a derogatory manner. Personally, I don't think I've ever heard "intellectually disabled" used in a derogatory manner. If people do start using "intellectually disabled" in a derogatory way, then I agree, it probably will be replaced with another term.

I think there are a lot of people now that are hypersensitive to any possible negative connotation, even if scientifically and literally correct, this is the one slippery slope that has seemed to keep sliding/

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I wonder what @ThePotatoWalrus @Patine @Reagan04 and @NYrepublican think of this Cohen "skit"

I'm against wahhabism and internationally funded mosques or other houses of worship,they tend to be spokespeople for their governmental funders. I'd be against a BIG mosque if it was in a small town or would fundamentally change the community,it's alienating to the locals same for any other house of worship including a Jewish one or big houses.

A lot of people not just muslims don't seem to get the latter

Just now, NYrepublican said:

I'm against wahhabism and internationally funded mosques or other houses of worship,they tend to be spokespeople for their governmental funders. I'd be against a BIG mosque if it was in a small town or would fundamentally change the community,it's alienating to the locals same for any other house of worship including a Jewish one or big houses.

...especially if there's bad relations with the locals.

15 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I wonder what @ThePotatoWalrus @Patine @Reagan04 and @NYrepublican think of this Cohen "skit"

I just died of laughter a little bit, it was rather cringe-worthy than blossomed into hilarity.

3 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

I just died of laughter a little bit, it was rather cringe-worthy than blossomed into hilarity.

Agreed.

11 hours ago, NYrepublican said:

Of course, you realize that EVERY single Catholic Cathedral, because of the way the Roman Catholic Church works, is internationally funded, and they're ALL big!

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

Of course, you realize that EVERY single Catholic Cathedral, because of the way the Roman Catholic Church works, is internationally funded, and they're ALL big!

You know what I had in mind don't feign ignorance.

1 minute ago, NYrepublican said:

You know what I had in mind don't feign ignorance.

Ah, an attack Moslems saying they might as well be wahabbists and their houses should be targeted, because they should all be assumed, by default, to be extremists, or at least probably will be, and bad for every community automatically, and have an artificial limit on building their houses of worship that no other religion gets, and throw in a distracting and confusing, "and other houses of worship," so you don't look like you're blanket-targeting a whole (the second-largest in the world, in following, of which, statistically, only a small minority are wahabbist or other extremist fiqhs or supporters of the "terrorism" (again, I highly dislike, I think I might all come to rue it's legal existence in our nations' legal "tools available) and the warped, twisted, distorted, and deliberately misinterpreted view of Sharia law and Islamic jurisprudence bent to ulterior motives and evil ends the extremist groups promote -- the analog in Islam to the same warping, twisting, and distortion to ulterior motives and evil ends of Scripture found in such Christian denominations as the Dominionist, Fundamentalist, Charismatic, Prosperity Gospel, various Christian Nationalist and Christian Identity groups, splinter Fundamentalist LDS groups, arguably Seventh-Day Adventists, and pre-18th or 19th Century Roman Catholicism). So I fully understand what you're saying. I threw in my response HOPING, against all hope, you weren't saying something so obviously foolish and typical and stupidity and lack of education and understanding that the modern zeitgeist is promoting in people, but you've disappointed me.

Just now, Patine said:

Ah, an attack Moslems saying they might as well be wahabbists and their houses should be targeted, because they should all be assumed, by default, to be extremists, or at least probably will be, and bad for every community automatically, and have an artificial limit on building their houses of worship that no other religion gets, and throw in a distracting and confusing, "and other houses of worship," so you don't look like you're blanket-targeting a whole (the second-largest in the world, in following, of which, statistically, only a small minority are wahabbist or other extremist fiqhs or supporters of the "terrorism" (again, I highly dislike, I think I might all come to rue it's legal existence in our nations' legal "tools available) and the warped, twisted, distorted, and deliberately misinterpreted view of Sharia law and Islamic jurisprudence bent to ulterior motives and evil ends the extremist groups promote -- the analog in Islam to the same warping, twisting, and distortion to ulterior motives and evil ends of Scripture found in such Christian denominations as the Dominionist, Fundamentalist, Charismatic, Prosperity Gospel, various Christian Nationalist and Christian Identity groups, splinter Fundamentalist LDS groups, arguably Seventh-Day Adventists, and pre-18th or 19th Century Roman Catholicism). So I fully understand what you're saying. I threw in my response HOPING, against all hope, you weren't saying something so obviously foolish and typical and stupidity and lack of education and understanding that the modern zeitgeist is promoting in people, but you've disappointed me.

I wasn't just thinking Muslims. I'll PM you if you want.

1 minute ago, NYrepublican said:

I wasn't just thinking Muslims. I'll PM you if you want.

Yes, maybe. You're about as clear as mud here.

13 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

I think there are a lot of people now that are hypersensitive to any possible negative connotation, even if scientifically and literally correct, this is the one slippery slope that has seemed to keep sliding/

"Intellectually disabled" is too long-winded and not sharp-enough sounding for immature middle-schoolers, hard "gangsta' rappers, or incendiary "shock jock" radio show hosts to throw around as an insult or derogatory slur, frankly.

14 hours ago, NYrepublican said:

Im not so sure if they understand the differences between Sunni/Shia/Wahabbisim. That said, we can't deny that Cohen is essentially trolling them by picking the Saudi royal family and the Clinton foundation as the main contributors for the mosque; which makes their reaction/situation hilarious. 

That said, this is his best ever bit(from his Da Ali G show)

It's kind of sad how this guy keeps doing shit like this to try to stay relevant since no one will cast him anymore.