270soft Forum
vcczar

1874 UK Map needed

Update: I've put the % for all the seats in Northern Ireland and Scotland. I'm surprised how many seats are unopposed. 

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Update: I've put the % for all the seats in Northern Ireland and Scotland. I'm surprised how many seats are unopposed. 

I think a lot of them in the early U.S. House of Representatives elections were too, to be honest. I think I recall that when I looked into my plans for 18th and early 19th Century CI elections I had announced interest in a while back. And that was even before the "Era of Good Feelings" I noticed this.

16 minutes ago, Patine said:

I think a lot of them in the early U.S. House of Representatives elections were too, to be honest. I think I recall that when I looked into my plans for 18th and early 19th Century CI elections I had announced interest in a while back. And that was even before the "Era of Good Feelings" I noticed this.

I'm using the historical results, but I'm giving the Liberals a slight boost, since the election defeat was unexpected. Apparently, Gladstone dissolved Parliament expecting to sneak in a win and crush the Conservative momentum that was building. The strategy backfired. 

5 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

uk_victorian_update.bmp

All regions work in this map

Thanks! I'll let you know if I get any issues. 

Update: Northern Ireland, Scotland, and the Northern part of England (north of Yorkshire) % are done. The percentages part will probably take me a few days. I'll next post an update when I complete these. 

4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Update: Northern Ireland, Scotland, and the Northern part of England (north of Yorkshire) % are done. The percentages part will probably take me a few days. I'll next post an update when I complete these. 

Does the Map work? Also, what other resources do you need for this and the papal project.

@Patine

I don't know if you have time to do this, but one thing that would be helpful is if you can help me find 10 platform issues for the 1874 election. You could also try to establish some stances if you wish. I'm still bogged down in making the % for each seat, and I'm also now splitting seats from towns that have more than one seat for that town. If you don't have time to do this, I'll get to it eventually. 

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

@Patine

I don't know if you have time to do this, but one thing that would be helpful is if you can help me find 10 platform issues for the 1874 election. You could also try to establish some stances if you wish. I'm still bogged down in making the % for each seat, and I'm also now splitting seats from towns that have more than one seat for that town. If you don't have time to do this, I'll get to it eventually. 

Electoral Reform

Tariffs

German Empire

Egypt-Sudan/Ottoman Empire

China

Labour Laws

Poor Laws

Boer States

Railroads and Canals

Urbanization (including Infrastructure and Crime)

Taxation Reform

Irish Home Rule

I didn't count the actual number there, but there's a good selection. A couple of others could be justified as we well.

22 hours ago, Patine said:

Electoral Reform

Tariffs

German Empire

Egypt-Sudan/Ottoman Empire

China

Labour Laws

Poor Laws

Boer States

Railroads and Canals

Urbanization (including Infrastructure and Crime)

Taxation Reform

Irish Home Rule

I didn't count the actual number there, but there's a good selection. A couple of others could be justified as we well.

Thanks, I'll use these, unless I can't find stances. Can you find logos for the Conservative, Liberal, and Home Rule parties?

22 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Thanks, I'll use these, unless I can't find stances. Can you find logos for the Conservative, Liberal, and Home Rule parties?

They don't seem to have logos before the post-WW2 period. I'll see if I can dig can dig up campaign posters or political cartoons, though.

19 minutes ago, Patine said:

They don't seem to have logos before the post-WW2 period. I'll see if I can dig can dig up campaign posters or political cartoons, though.

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Thanks!

BTW, are you including the Chartists? I know they didn't get a single seat, but they were the embryonic party of a non-Marxist political labour movement in the UK have a bit of symbolic value (like Woodhull does in the 1872 U.S. Presidential Election).

19 minutes ago, Patine said:

BTW, are you including the Chartists? I know they didn't get a single seat, but they were the embryonic party of a non-Marxist political labour movement in the UK have a bit of symbolic value (like Woodhull does in the 1872 U.S. Presidential Election).

They aren't around in 1874, but I'll used them in earlier scenarios. 

Just wanted to mention that I have a version of the Rollings & Thrasher book mentioned in many of the early UK General Election Wikipedia pages.

16 minutes ago, MBDemSoc said:

Just wanted to mention that I have a version of the Rollings & Thrasher book mentioned in many of the early UK General Election Wikipedia pages.

Please let me know if it says anything important (and not listed on Wikipedia) about the 1874 election

16 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Please let me know if it says anything important (and not listed on Wikipedia) about the 1874 election

It does not have anything of use unfortunately that is not on Wikipedia.

3 minutes ago, MBDemSoc said:

It does not have anything of use unfortunately that is not on Wikipedia.

Oh okay. 

Update: I've finished all the % except those in Ireland (minus Northern Ireland). Hopefully, this means I'll be finished with all % by tomorrow. I still haven't heard back from @NYrepublican on whether or not he can make those images, since I'll probably work on the surrogates on Monday. If you don't have the time, I'll do it, or I'll move on to some other area until you do. 

This election seems like it will be an uphill battle for the Liberals. 

Update: Finally finished all the %. Will wait to hear back from @NYrepublican

I should state that the first simulation with all the % ran well. Liberals won the PV, but the Conservatives won the election, as was the case in real life. 

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

I should state that the first simulation with all the % ran well. Liberals won the PV, but the Conservatives won the election, as was the case in real life. 

I'll see if I can get some campaign posters found in the next few days for party logos.

15 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Update: Finally finished all the %. Will wait to hear back from @NYrepublican

Here it is uk 1874.zip

1 hour ago, Patine said:

I'll see if I can get some campaign posters found in the next few days for party logos.

Thanks!