Jump to content
270soft Forum
vcczar

1874 UK Map needed

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, NYrepublican said:

I just checked every single pixel to get rid of it. This took hours.

Here you go

uk_victorian.bmp

 

You've got the awkward issue that Leinster, Munster, and Connaught Provinces are fully divided into component counties, but Ulster Province is a single regional bloc. It just looks kind of weird that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Patine said:

You've got the awkward issue that Leinster, Munster, and Connaught Provinces are fully divided into component counties, but Ulster Province is a single regional bloc. It just looks kind of weird that way.

It's what the map had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NYrepublican said:

It's what the map had.

Actually, the original map had the four Irish provinces as solid units, and the Irish counties "erased" (probably because the designer changed his mind), but the white-coloured (not true black solid borders) was still left behind, to be honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Patine said:

Actually, the original map had the four Irish provinces as solid units, and the Irish counties "erased" (probably because the designer changed his mind), but the white-coloured (not true black solid borders) was still left behind, to be honest.

I just spliced it up that way because I assumed it was just a quick fix by the author.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NYrepublican said:

I just spliced it up that way because I assumed it was just a quick fix by the author.

No, I think it was more of a change of mind midway through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NYrepublican said:

What do you intend to do for the two member seats?

I don't think I'm going to break these seats up unless I have to. I can't believe such a small country has this many unique districts. I'm probably going to need to redraw some of the districts on the map. @Patine mentioned the Irish provinces, for instance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I don't think I'm going to break these seats up unless I have to. I can't believe such a small country has this many unique districts. I'm probably going to need to redraw some of the districts on the map. @Patine mentioned the Irish provinces, for instance. 

The four provinces should be sufficient subdivision enough. Ironically, Ulster Province (the one not subdivided into counties on this map) has far more internal divergence in political opinion and ideology than the other three.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Patine said:

The four provinces should be sufficient subdivision enough. Ironically, Ulster Province (the one not subdivided into counties on this map) has far more internal divergence in political opinion and ideology than the other three.

Yeah, I'm not really sure how I should make the subdivisions for 1874. I am currently using the subdivisions on that map + Munster, Leinster, Ulster, and whatever the other one is (forgot off the top of my head). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: MP seats A through E have been completed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vcczar said:

Update: MP seats A through E have been completed. 

Yes, full-out British general elections can be quite the slog when it comes to constituencies. So can Canadian ones for that matter. One thing, though, I find is that British and Canadian constituencies have much more evocative names based on local towns, cities, districts, and geographical features, so it's far easier to figure out where they're located or centred within the country in contrast to the mechanistic numbered U.S. House of Representatives electoral districts, where if you're not already familiar with their layout, in their current apportionment, all you actually know for sure is what state they're in, but no intrinsic indicator where they are or are centred otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Patine said:

Yes, full-out British general elections can be quite the slog when it comes to constituencies. So can Canadian ones for that matter. One thing, though, I find is that British and Canadian constituencies have much more evocative names based on local towns, cities, districts, and geographical features, so it's far easier to figure out where they're located or centred within the country in contrast to the mechanistic numbered U.S. House of Representatives electoral districts, where if you're not already familiar with their layout, in their current apportionment, all you actually know for sure is what state they're in, but no intrinsic indicator where they are or are centred otherwise.

Yeah, I wish our districts had names. My current district would probably be called "Philadelphia North West." My Austin Rep was so insanely gerrymandered. I was 10 blocks from downtown Austin (most liberal city in Texas) and I had a Republican congress person. His district stretched from Fort Worth to Austin, and it was about 99.9% rural, but somehow he was my Rep. Didn't represent me at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Yeah, I wish our districts had names. My current district would probably be called "Philadelphia North West." My Austin Rep was so insanely gerrymandered. I was 10 blocks from downtown Austin (most liberal city in Texas) and I had a Republican congress person. His district stretched from Fort Worth to Austin, and it was about 99.9% rural, but somehow he was my Rep. Didn't represent me at all. 

In New York it's a little more sane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: Seats starting with A through F have now been completed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: Seat starting with A through I have now been completed. I'm still less than half way but making progress. It seems like the seats didn't change much in the Victorian Age prior to 1885. This means I may be able to make PMI elections for c. 1830s to 1885 without too much difficulty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: Seats starting with A through L are complete. About halfway there with the seats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vcczar said:

Update: Seats starting with A through L are complete. About halfway there with the seats. 

Grinding work like in a Dickensian workhouse... :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Patine said:

Grinding work like in a Dickensian workhouse... :P

Sure is. It isn't too terrible because I do find learning about the various sections of the British Isles somewhat interesting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: Seat beginning with A through Q are done. S and W are rather large, and compose almost all of the rest of the seats. Hopefully, I'll finish all the seats by Wednesday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: Seats A through T are done. Just have W and Y left. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: Okay, I shifted some projects around, and I was able to finish all the seats of Parliament for 1874. There are also about 30 total endorsers from these MPs. May look for other endorsers later. 

I have also reduced the political parties to the 4 parties that fielded candidates: Liberals, Conservatives, Home Rule, and Independents. 

I'll make the candidates tomorrow (most likely)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: Made the candidates. I also had to remake the map divisions--took me like 2 hours--and it isn't showing up properly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vcczar said:

Update: Made the candidates. I also had to remake the map divisions--took me like 2 hours--and it isn't showing up properly. 

Send me the map and I'll fix it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

Send me the map and I'll fix it.

Thanks. Basically, the water doesn't look like a grid. 

 

MapError.png

uk_victorian_update.bmp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Thanks. Basically, the water doesn't look like a grid. 

 

MapError.png

uk_victorian_update.bmp

The problem is, given how all the seats aligned back then, I don't think the modern UK game divisions (or something based closely on it like this) will work quite well. For instance, the London Metropolis was horribly underrepresented in Parliament in 1874 compared to today, as were the Greater Manchester and Birmingham and Coventry areas. Also, is that red colour supposed to be the Liberals out of curiosity? The Liberal party colour is yellow, I believe, like the Lib Dems still use today. Just some pointers off the top of my head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Patine said:

The problem is, given how all the seats aligned back then, I don't think the modern UK game divisions (or something based closely on it like this) will work quite well. For instance, the London Metropolis was horribly underrepresented in Parliament in 1874 compared to today, as were the Greater Manchester and Birmingham and Coventry areas. Also, is that red colour supposed to be the Liberals out of curiosity? The Liberal party colour is yellow, I believe, like the Lib Dems still use today. Just some pointers off the top of my head.

I haven't altered the colors. I'm just trying to get the map to work. I'm going to rename the divisions, but I won't change the lines. That time investment would take me months and will have to be done by someone else. The main issue is that I created the seats before I tried to apply the map. I'd have to redo all of the seats, since they're subsets of the divisions, and I can't just move them. Thus, I'm stuck using 2017 divisions, which I had to redraw. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×