270soft Forum
Rodja

If i were President

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

Well, 61 million deliberate, innocent deaths is very small potatoes compared to the innocent, civilian deaths caused by various means, quite deliberately, through active volition or inactive negligence or refusal to fulfill reasonable government duties, caused since 1973 by the hard-right Republican politicians and other leaders in their monstrous, but glowingly justified, agendas domestically and abroad. In fact, the number I'm speaking of staggering dwarfs 61 million.

I do love the bait and switch, we can discuss that in just a second but you're not weaseling out of this one that easy my friend. So you do recognize it as a slaughter of 61+ million innocent children?

State:Vermont

Party:Democratic

Domestic Issues:

Healthcare:Protect ACA from GOP attacks.Consider single-payer in future.

Education:Abolish Tution and public colleges and forget current student loans

Immigration:Abolish and replace ICE.Make it easier to get a legal status

Taxes:Raise taxes on income and companies. 

Jobs:Promote domestic manufacturing.Double tax items produced abroad.

Environment:Continue Obama-era policies.

Military:Cut military spending by 85%.

Abortion:Woman has the right to choose what to do with her body, 

SCOTUS:Appoint progressive,socialdemocratic judges

Foreign Issues:

Russia:Pressure Russia over election meddling and gay rights,when those issues are solved try to get more friendly.

ISIS:Create large coalition including all NATO members and regional partners to fight ISIS.Fight Assad as strong as ISIS

China:Pressure China on trade abuses.

EU:EU is a natural ally.Help them address actual crises

NATO/Allies:Continue paying our share to NATO and expand it to Eastern Europe to counter potential Russian aggression

North Korea:Continue negotiating,but do it much harsher than Trump.

Iran:Iran is not our enemy.Continue working with them for peace.

UN:Expand our involment in UN

Israel:Pressure Israel to stop abusing Palestinians rights,but continue giving them aid.

Trade Deals:Renegotiate NAFTA in favour of American worker

Just now, Reagan04 said:

I do love the bait and switch, we can discuss that in just a second but you're not weaseling out of this one that easy my friend. So you do recognize it as a slaughter of 61+ million innocent children?

I won't acknowledge the words "slaughter," "genocide," or "eugenics program," because I firmly believe those are tied to a conspiracy theory. But the number, for whatever reason abortion clinic patients may have requested the procedure, might well be accurate.

I won't acknowledge the words "slaughter," "genocide," or "eugenics program," because I firmly believe those are tied to a conspiracy theory. But the number, for whatever reason abortion clinic patients may have requested the procedure, might well be accurate.

So you recognize the death of 61 million as accurate, but believe identifying that as a slaughter is a conspiracy theory... is that right?

1 minute ago, Reagan04 said:

So you recognize the death of 61 million as accurate, but believe identifying that as a slaughter is a conspiracy theory... is that right?

I don't think you understand the meaning of the word slaughter, as opposed to other words for bringing about the demise of another living being. Those words often vary in details and appropriate context, and are not perfectly analogous.

3 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

@Reagan04, lets say that you successfully prohibited abortion with an amendment. What do you do to stop people from obtaining one illegally? People who are determined to get one will certainly get one no matter the cost, like they do with illegal drugs. Illegal abortions are extremely unsafe, and can cause infections, and damage to internal organs, and cause death. I agree that abortion is one of the greatest sins in the world, and anybody who does it for convenience is a piece of shit, but outlawing it will not do anything. If they're going to get one anyways, wouldn't it be better that it is safe, and handled by a medical professional?

Well first, you've misrepresented my position. I do not, nor will I ever support a Constitutional Ban on abortion, as I believe that would be a mistake, to add policy prescriptions to the Constitution. Rather, this Amendment would extend equal protection under the law, as the Constitution should to the unborn. Under these is the right to life, congruent with any living human being, from conception to natural death. Then the states would, as they legislate regarding murder, decide what their abortion laws would be.

The end goal to this is to give equal protection to all living humans, so yes, to make abortion illegal. Now, what you're saying is that it won't work, however, there is almost no evidence to support that claim. Malta, Ireland, and Poland all have extremely low rates of maternal death and even lower, non-existent cases of deaths or even attempts at illegal abortions. Furthermore, the "Illegal and Unsafe Abortion" claim was originated by NARAL founder Bernard Nathanson, a converted Pro-Lifer, and Planned Parenthood Board Member Mary Calderon. Both of whom admitted that they had greatly embroidered the details of illegal abortions. Both of them would later note that the lion's share of illegal abortions and they were extremely rare at that, were carried out by trained abortion doctors. 

And finally I would ask you this, hitmen are still illegal, yes? Because murder is illegal. Just because something may not have a 100% effectiveness rate, as no law does, does not mean that it is not the moral and correct way to properly run a society that endows equal protection under the law. If you believe abortion is murder and a terrible sin, then you recognize the required penance of the murderers and sinners who take advantage of the poor mothers and end the life of their child.

5 minutes ago, Patine said:

I don't think you understand the meaning of the word slaughter, as opposed to other words for bringing about the demise of another living being. Those words often vary in details and appropriate context, and are not perfectly analogous.

Ok, so if we agree to disagree, you do recognize the widespread murder of 61+ million lives?

Just now, Reagan04 said:

Ok, so if we agree to disagree, you do recognize the widespread murder of 61+ million lives?

I recognize that a medical procedure has, for various reasons to request it, denied 61 million potential births from happening, but, since I believe the mother's rights and well-being have priority until birth, the only problem I see is the excessive need for it, which is likely moreso tied to root economic and social issues in mostly lower-class and minority communities, which Republican ideology is MORE LIKELY to exacerbate and make worse (though I, in no way shape or form, claim Democratic ideology is perfect, or even remotely making the progress they constantly campaign on).

6 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Well first, you've misrepresented my position. I do not, nor will I ever support a Constitutional Ban on abortion, as I believe that would be a mistake, to add policy prescriptions to the Constitution. Rather, this Amendment would extend equal protection under the law, as the Constitution should to the unborn. Under these is the right to life, congruent with any living human being, from conception to natural death. Then the states would, as they legislate regarding murder, decide what their abortion laws would be.

The end goal to this is to give equal protection to all living humans, so yes, to make abortion illegal. Now, what you're saying is that it won't work, however, there is almost no evidence to support that claim. Malta, Ireland, and Poland all have extremely low rates of maternal death and even lower, non-existent cases of deaths or even attempts at illegal abortions. Furthermore, the "Illegal and Unsafe Abortion" claim was originated by NARAL founder Bernard Nathanson, a converted Pro-Lifer, and Planned Parenthood Board Member Mary Calderon. Both of whom admitted that they had greatly embroidered the details of illegal abortions. Both of them would later note that the lion's share of illegal abortions and they were extremely rare at that, were carried out by trained abortion doctors. 

And finally I would ask you this, hitmen are still illegal, yes? Because murder is illegal. Just because something may not have a 100% effectiveness rate, as no law does, does not mean that it is not the moral and correct way to properly run a society that endows equal protection under the law. If you believe abortion is murder and a terrible sin, then you recognize the required penance of the murderers and sinners who take advantage of the poor mothers and end the life of their child.

Good enough for me

I recognize that a medical procedure has, for various reasons to request it, denied 61 million potential births from happening, but, since I believe the mother's rights and well-being have priority until birth, the only problem I see is the excessive need for it, which is likely moreso tied to root economic and social issues in mostly lower-class and minority communities, which Republican ideology is MORE LIKELY to exacerbate and make worse (though I, in no way shape or form, claim Democratic ideology is perfect, or even remotely making the progress they constantly campaign on).

Oh, Patine we were so close. Have 61+ million lives been ended via abortion. C'mon now, no misdirection, yes or no. I know you like to dodge, but just once for me.

Just now, Reagan04 said:

Oh, Patine we were so close. Have 61+ million lives been ended via abortion. C'mon now, no misdirection, yes or no. I know you like to dodge, but just once for me.

Nothing is as simple as being completely and totally summed up in a single yes or no answer when it comes to the social sciences. There are always alternative answers, outside factors, and/or a bigger picture.

4 minutes ago, Patine said:

Nothing is as simple as being completely and totally summed up in a single yes or no answer when it comes to the social sciences. There are always alternative answers, outside factors, and/or a bigger picture.

Good one, I like that one's style. Because you didn't go into blatant dodging so it seemed to be a meta-comment on the question. Very clever. Now let's get back to the question. 

Have 61+ million lives been ended via abortion?

Just now, Reagan04 said:

Good one, I like that one's style. Because you didn't go into blatant dodging so it seemed to be a meta-comment on the question. Now let's get back to the question. 

Have 61+ million lives been ended via abortion?

They have.

They have.

Thank you, that's all. You may now feel free to comment as you wish.

Just now, Reagan04 said:

Thank you, that's all.

Do not celebrate any unmerited or undeserved victory. All the other qualifiers I spoke of in the posts previously still fully stand.

Do not celebrate any unmerited or undeserved victory. All the other qualifiers I spoke of in the posts previously still fully stand.

Like I quickly said, you may continue to launch allegations at me and we can discuss them but I wanted to hear that from you, I wanted you to recognize it first.

Now, here's a question, do you believe that the taking of an innocent life in the case of abortion can be moral, I know we are both devout Christians, what is your take?

Just now, Reagan04 said:

Like I quickly said, you may continue to launch allegations at me and we can discuss them but I wanted to hear that from you, I wanted you to recognize it first.

Now, here's a question, do you believe that the taking of an innocent life in the case of abortion can be moral, I know we are both devout Christians, what is your take?

In Biblical Scripture, if you look carefully at the narrative, except for Christ, you was a special exception (for obvious reasons), no unborn child is spoken of while unborn as a person with a name or identity until they're born. Otherwise, the reference is "<Mother's Name> with child." I think that's important to note.

Just now, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Shit @Patine you just lost

I've lost nothing. He's just developing an overinflated head. He should really go back the debating farm teams.

Before I go to bed, @Reagan04, I want you to know I don't hate you as a person, and I would never wish death or any horrid fate upon you - I just strongly disagree with a lot of what you believe in and find much of it to even be repugnant, and I often get the impression that the feeling is mutual as stated.

22 minutes ago, Patine said:

Before I go to bed, @Reagan04, I want you to know I don't hate you as a person, and I would never wish death or any horrid fate upon you - I just strongly disagree with a lot of what you believe in and find much of it to even be repugnant, and I often get the impression that the feeling is mutual as stated.

33 minutes ago, Patine said:

I've lost nothing. He's just developing an overinflated head. He should really go back the debating farm teams.

I never said you lost, nor do I think there is a winner or loser and I can assure you my head had not been inflated. My first few months I spent here doing a bit of trolling and pushing buttons, but I can assure you I am here as a thought-out and decent contributor who is a good human being. Even if we disagree with each other greatly.

29 minutes ago, Patine said:

Sweet dreams b

9 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

I never said you lost, nor do I think there is a winner or loser and I can assure you my head had not been inflated. My first few months I spent here doing a bit of trolling and pushing buttons, but I can assure you I am here as a thought-out and decent contributor who is a good human being. Even if we disagree with each other greatly.

Wholesome ❤️ 

We have enough candidates as it is now,so no more declaring will be accepted.The first round of the vote will begin midnight.

Form: Ontario, Canada

Party: Republican (Rockefeller) 

Domestic Issues:

Healthcare: implement a new and improved Universal Healthcare plan and increase its standards to make it eventually overtake the private alternative 

Education: increase the standards and implement more advanced methods of educating, no to merit pay

Immigration: make legal immigration easier only if you are credible enough

Taxes: keep taxes at a sensible price, its hurting jobs, increase taxes to the rich, use the money responsibly

Jobs: use public works to increase jobs

Environment: do not wait to pass pro environment legislation, we must act now! 

Military: the US has to have the best army in the world, keep researching drone technology, its the way to make wars less bloody

Abortion: can understand both sides of the argument, try to keep being in the middle

SCOTUS: appoint moderate judges who can understand both sides of the argument 

Foreign Issues:

Russia: try to improve relations with Russia but not on Europe's expense

ISIS: we must destroy this blight, but do not sacrifice civil rights

China: defend Taiwan but keep relations good enough

EU: support the EU its the way of the future

NATO/Allies: NATO still has value, support it

North Korea: implement tougher sanctions on North Korea to destroy their regime

Iran: try to gain the sympathy of younger iranians, they will uproot their regime in due time

UN: the UN must not be blinded by ridiculous arguments (and ffs stop bullying Israel, its getting ridiculous) 

Israel: one of our best allies, we must support it at all costs, its our foothold in the MidEast

Trade Deals: keep trading blocs like NAFTA, its good to our economy

On 7/30/2018 at 3:34 PM, NYrepublican said:

I'm compiling a candidate profile for the ballot @Rodja

@WVProgressive: a left-wing candidate,a Democrat from West Virginia in favor of universal health care and other progressive policies including providing illegal immigrants currently here with citizenship and increasing taxes on the wealthy. @WVProgressive is also in favor of protectionist trade policy and wants a more dovish foreign policy

@Conservative Elector 2: A right wing candidate who immigrated to America from Austria after the constitution was changed to allow non-naturally born citizens to run for president like is the case for the Senate and House. He's pro free-trade, in favor of a hawkish foreign policy and a typical conservatives domestic policy. Would leave abortion as is.

@NYrepublican: A Center/Center-Right Republican from New York City who has generally hawkish opinions on foreign policy, is pro-free trade and pro-environment. He'd lower taxes and institute school vouchers. Would eliminate Obamacare entirely as  he thinks it's a failed model and would insure that people with preexisting conditions who can't afford healthcare are taken care of. Would overturn Roe v Wade and return control of abortion to the states as he thinks Roe v Wade is unjustified from a constitutional perspective.Thinks Identity politics is killing comedy worldwide.Would try to replace the war on drugs with the more effective Swiss and Portugese models. (That actually work and don't have MASSIVE side effects). Is a strong supporter of net neutrality and would enforce anti-trust laws.

@Patine: A Left-wing independent from Alberta who like @Conservative Elector 2 immigrated to the US to run for office after the constitution was changed. He is very bitter about the duopoly which exists in the US and is running to change it. He in favor of nationalized education and healthcare , is dovish on immigration and the military and believes much of the world's problems are at least partially the fault of the US/the West. He is pro-abortion and thinks the fact that the supreme court is a partisan mess is bad (Which @NYrepublican agrees with) and that it should be reformed or somehow have its power reined in. He believes the EU and UN are ill-managed and that NATO is no longer relevant post-cold war. Is for free trade and hawkish on Russia and believes in a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.He also seems to think all words should follow their most literal meaning humanly possible saying that he believes "anti-semitism" to be inapplicable to arabs as they're a semitic people despite the phrase clearly meaning jews and not semitic people generally.

@jvikings1: A Kentucky Republican, he is for repealing obamacare and in favor of minimal Government including ending the war on drugs. He strongly believes in individual rights including right-to-work. He wants other countries in NATO to pay up and to stop threatening Russia with a never-ending expansion. He thinks the US should leave the UN and kick em out of the US or charge a fee. He is in favor of free trade

@ThePotatoWalrus: An Ohio Libertarian who according to @Patine has "simplistic and uncomplicated,plebian views". He's been criticized in the past for unrealistic views on issues like healthcare that'd lead to massive deficits and doesn't believe in global warming which is well established. He'd leave border security to the states and would increase spending on Obamacare (subsidies) while decreasing its cash flow(backing the repeal of the individual mandate).Says we can "do literally nothing" to stop Russia and would try to build a friendly relationship with Putin.Supports abortion in all cases pre-birth and believes in cutting down the military.

@Reagan04: A typical right-wing evangelical catholic candidate from Georgia. He's in favor of en masse privatization of massive segments of the economy as he believes the free market is the best way to go.If an immigration hawk. Would apply a flat tax rate and believe humans don't cause climate change.He is ardently pro-life and would amend the constitution to prohibit abortion.Is pro-free trade and has hawkish foreign policy views.

@Hestia11:An Iowa Democrat in favor of the ACA,against vouchers and pro-immigration He is an enviromentalist and supports the right to choose.He is hawkish on Russia and is for free trade.He also supports an expansion of NATO

@MRA:This California independent is a bit of a nutcase and his platform can be summed up as "EVIL FEMINISM NEED BE ABOLISHED.IT ENSLAVES MEN." He is against free trade and is a foreign policy hawk

Can you summarize me too?