270soft Forum
vcczar

Something to fix

@admin_270

I don't know how to prevent some states from voting unrealistically. I have moved every voter to decided or leans to prevent states from flipping to a party that would never win a state. Yet, I still get about two states each election that operate oddly. This attached image has TX and Alaska going Blue by a large margin with Bernie Sanders! (I played as the Simulator Party to watch it). I did a similar election with Biden vs. Trump, and Biden won Oklahoma by over 60%. I think the CPU gets obsessed with random states. In another game, the Green Party won AL, but that was before I adjusted the voters. I'd say the results have been closer to believable since moving the voters to decided and leans only, but it still needs some fine tuning. This is why I suggest an optional mechanism in the editor that can restrict how low support can go for a party in any given state. 

SandersTrump.jpg

4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@admin_270

I don't know how to prevent some states from voting unrealistically. I have moved every voter to decided or leans to prevent states from flipping to a party that would never win a state. Yet, I still get about two states each election that operate oddly. This attached image has TX and Alaska going Blue by a large margin with Bernie Sanders! (I played as the Simulator Party to watch it). I did a similar election with Biden vs. Trump, and Biden won Oklahoma by over 60%. I think the CPU gets obsessed with random states. In another game, the Green Party won AL, but that was before I adjusted the voters. I'd say the results have been closer to believable since moving the voters to decided and leans only, but it still needs some fine tuning. This is why I suggest an optional mechanism in the editor that can restrict how low support can go for a party in any given state. 

There is no attached image

5 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@admin_270

It is a serious problem though

10 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@admin_270

4 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

It is a serious problem though

Well, other than the fact that U.S. Presidential General Elections have become too hidebound and predictable, with only a small number of "battleground states," because there's a staid, entrenched, failed, corrupt, and complacent two-party system who have no real need to significantly change their overarching and broad platforms and demographic appeals, and no true need to worry about seriously defending against, or preparing a serious defense against, a Third Party or Independent, a very serious problem in RL that's MAJORLY hurting American political culture and governmental ability to solve the nation's, there should maybe be a one-to-five rating for each party in each State, like the individual candidate ratings in each constituency/electoral district in CI and PMI. THAT might be a possible solution.

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

@admin_270 @NYrepublican @Patine image now attached to the original post. 

LOL did Sanders summon aton of illegal immigrants to the polls or something.

25 minutes ago, Patine said:

Sifting through my obligatory soapbox screed, what do you think of my proposed solution at the end of my post?

It would be an improvement. 

2 hours ago, Patine said:

Well, other than the fact that U.S. Presidential General Elections have become too hidebound and predictable, with only a small number of "battleground states," because there's a staid, entrenched, failed, corrupt, and complacent two-party system who have no real need to significantly change their overarching and broad platforms and demographic appeals, and no true need to worry about seriously defending against, or preparing a serious defense against, a Third Party or Independent, a very serious problem in RL that's MAJORLY hurting American political culture and governmental ability to solve the nation's, there should maybe be a one-to-five rating for each party in each State, like the individual candidate ratings in each constituency/electoral district in CI and PMI. THAT might be a possible solution.

Really? US elections are predictable? Lmao idk about you but I would never have projected Trump getting over 300 electoral votes.

4 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Really? US elections are predictable? Lmao idk about you but I would never have projected Trump getting over 300 electoral votes.

BUT, I bet you would never bet money in this day and age on someone NOT formally nominated by either the Democratic or Republican Parties winning the Presidency, with Deep Blue States NOT all giving their Electoral Votes to the nominated Democratic candidate and Deep Red States NOT all giving their Electoral Votes to the nominated Republican candidate and the victory NOT being won in the "battleground" States. If you did make such a bet, you'd almost certainly lose. THAT'S what I'm referring to, moreso.

42 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I did predict that Trump would win to someone I knew when trump was down 10 points in the polls, he laughed at me then. After the election I was like "I told you so".

45 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

I did predict that Trump would win to someone I knew when trump was down 10 points in the polls, he laughed at me then. After the election I was like "I told you so".

I thought he'd win but not over 300. I consider >300 a landslide.

1 hour ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I thought he'd win but not over 300. I consider >300 a landslide.

I don't consider winning any election with less than 50% of the popular vote in any polity anywhere near a landslide - the completely artificial and highly distorted results of the Electoral College skew most Americans' views of the REAL margins of victory of their Presidential Elections by a very noticeable amount..

14 hours ago, Patine said:

I don't consider winning any election with less than 50% of the popular vote in any polity anywhere near a landslide - the completely artificial and highly distorted results of the Electoral College skew most Americans' views of the REAL margins of victory of their Presidential Elections by a very noticeable amount..

In VCczar's screenshot Bernie's overrepresented in Electoral votes by 20%

Why the Green Party have a higher percent than the Libertarians tho lmao

14 hours ago, NYrepublican said:

In VCczar's screenshot Bernie's overrepresented in Electoral votes by 20%

Regardless, the EC results distort how Americans view the margin of victory of a U.S. Presidential candidate, especially regarding their REAL mandate of support, which is actually far more strongly to their popular vote. It's yet another sign of how broken, outmoded, and in need of abolition as a political institution the EC in the U.S. is.

20 hours ago, Thunder said:

@PatineI'm assuming you're proposing score voting?

I just went through spectating as Bloomberg and got:

http://www.270towin.com/maps/VBlKO

CSV file and final polls below.

crazynormal2016.csv

crazy2016gamefinalpoll.PNG

Some of these are somewhat plausible. Alaska is fiercely minded and Johnson and McMullin would win their strongest states, Can't quite explain Arkansas though.

2 hours ago, NYrepublican said:

Some of these are somewhat plausible. Alaska is fiercely minded and Johnson and McMullin would win their strongest states, Can't quite explain Arkansas though.

I guess you could say Bill Clinton somehow campaigned through Arkansas for Hillary Clinton. The ending result is a bit more unusual (e.g, Oklahoma swinging 40 points towards Clinton from 2012). 

4 minutes ago, Thunder said:

I guess you could say Bill Clinton somehow campaigned through Arkansas for Hillary Clinton. The ending result is a bit more unusual (e.g, Oklahoma swinging 40 points towards Clinton from 2012). 

Arkansas really doesn't like either Clinton any longer.

1 minute ago, Reagan04 said:

Arkansas really doesn't like either Clinton any longer.

I know, I'm grasping for straws here a bit. Also noticed Oregon swung 30 points towards Trump.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 6:05 PM, Thunder said:

@PatineI'm assuming you're proposing score voting?

I just went through spectating as Bloomberg and got:

http://www.270towin.com/maps/VBlKO

CSV file and final polls below.

crazynormal2016.csv

crazy2016gamefinalpoll.PNG

Is it weird that I saw Putin for s split second before realizing it was Bloomberg

I've noted this to check for. Sounds like an AI bug where a computer player is focusing on a state they shouldn't be.

I would not recommend shifting around committed %s or what have you in the meantime, as it should be fixed with the next official PI release.

I've noticed this too. In particular in simulations, I'm seeing a lot of:

(1) weird maps like the above

(2) third parties consistently doing waaaaaay better than historic precedent

(3) massive blowouts in what should be close elections

I've never really made a scenario so I'm not sure how the solid/leaning/undecided system works. I've been looking at turnout numbers, if I ever complete the spreadsheet I'm working on, I'll share it here, maybe it'll be of some assistance.