270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Poll: Obama tops poll for best president in Americans's lifetime

Where were we, oh yes, you can't really judge a president's legacy until long after they're out of office.  Realistically, you can't be completely objective about it until everyone who voted in their elections is dead.

4 hours ago, pilight said:

Where were we, oh yes, you can't really judge a president's legacy until long after they're out of office.  Realistically, you can't be completely objective about it until everyone who voted in their elections is dead.

Agree with the first half. Also you got two spaces between office and realistically.

4 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Agree with the first half. Also you got two spaces between office and realistically.

I'm old and learned to type on a typewriter.  It was standard to put two spaces at the end of a sentence on those devices and the habit is hard to kick.

12 minutes ago, pilight said:

I'm old and learned to type on a typewriter.  It was standard to put two spaces at the end of a sentence on those devices and the habit is hard to kick.

Understandable. When I was really young my parents gave me some typewriter thing because I liked writing so much and we were kind of poor so I can relate a little. It was noisy as shit though so it suddenly disappeared one day lmao.

@pilight @ThePotatoWalrus

At the other end of the spectrum, Latin used to be written without punctuations at all. You were supposed to be able to read the sentence on context, just knowing when it was supposed to end. People also read slower and read out loud, which made it easier to do. Reading quietly is a rather new reading strategy. St. Augustine said his tutor was the first man he had ever seen reading without moving is lips, which suggest people could read quietly, but the instinct was to reading out loud. It's sort of like how people that first play console games moving the controller around when going up, down, left, or right, rather than keeping the controller still and pushing the nozzles. 

Yeah, I think typewriters, and maybe printers at some point required the extra space. I think when I was in grade school, I might have used two spaces at some point, but I don't remember. I know ever since I got a computer (when I was 16), I used a single space. 

2 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

we were kind of poor

Just curious, what is your definition of kind of poor? 

22 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Just curious, what is your definition of kind of poor? 

I was really young so I don't remember much but I never really had many clothes to wear, all of my electronics were old, and we never really went anywhere outside of the house. I don't remember ever being sad or noticing that we were poor. Idk what it'd be but you'd probably put that as the lower middle class or something. I'm probably upper-middle class now at this point, although my dad did get laid off a little over a year ago (but thanks to Trump got hired back).

I took the question as to how poor I was in that situation. If you are talking about a literal definition of poor, then I don't know how I'd describe it.

I used a typewriter once. It was odd to actually have to push down on the keys,

1 minute ago, NYrepublican said:

I used a typewriter once. It was odd to actually have to push down on the keys,

I liked pressing the keys so fast that the typewriter was actually typing what I typed seconds ago trying to catch up.

2 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I liked pressing the keys so fast that the typewriter was actually typing what I typed seconds ago trying to catch up.

Did you break the thing LOL

1 minute ago, NYrepublican said:

Did you break the thing LOL

Lol, idk how it stayed working as long as it did.

38 minutes ago, vcczar said:

typewriters, and maybe printers at some point required the extra space. I think when I was in grade school, I might have used two spaces at some point, but I don't remember. I know ever since I got a computer (when I was 16), I used a single space. 

It was never actually required to have two spaces, but it was easier to read with it.  Typewriters use the same amount of space for each character.  That can make for odd looking spacing.  Putting two spaces after a sentence relieves some of the weirdness.

25 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I was really young so I don't remember much but I never really had many clothes to wear, all of my electronics were old, and we never really went anywhere outside of the house. I don't remember ever being sad or noticing that we were poor. Idk what it'd be but you'd probably put that as the lower middle class or something. I'm probably upper-middle class now at this point, although my dad did get laid off a little over a year ago (but thanks to Trump got hired back).

I took the question as to how poor I was in that situation. If you are talking about a literal definition of poor, then I don't know how I'd describe it.

What's your definition of lower middle class and upper middle class. You state the you are upper middle class, but are you making an income? What does your dad do? How do you know it was Trump that got your job hired back and not either the residual economic growth from Obama's policies or some other sort of coincidence unattached to either president?

6 hours ago, vcczar said:

What's your definition of lower middle class and upper middle class. You state the you are upper middle class, but are you making an income? What does your dad do? How do you know it was Trump that got your job hired back and not either the residual economic growth from Obama's policies or some other sort of coincidence unattached to either president?

I already gave somewhat of a definition for lower middle class, but right now, we live in a much better house, we go on vacations about twice a year, we do house projects often (my mom redid an entire room with brick flooring and stuff, and she redid all of the rooms downstairs with wooden walls, and we tore down our back porch and are building a bigger, better one), i'm in way better shape than I was back then (typically fitness has to do with wealth or something), we bought a 16,000 gallon swimming pool in our backyard, i'm able to purchase a car with a higher budget than most people my age probably have (still saving up though, want to drive an old car like a 68 fastback, my uncles run a car shop, so I even had the idea of putting the body of the 68 car on the chassis of a newer car, but that would be expensive), there's probably some other factors that I can't recall but that's basically it. My dad works at a train company, but he got promoted a little over a couple years ago from the hands-on train work to the business stuff. My mom and I also work but I save like 90% of my money.

5 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I already gave somewhat of a definition for lower middle class, but right now, we live in a much better house, we go on vacations about twice a year, we do house projects often (my mom redid an entire room with brick flooring and stuff, and she redid all of the rooms downstairs with wooden walls, and we tore down our back porch and are building a bigger, better one), i'm in way better shape than I was back then (typically fitness has to do with wealth or something), we bought a 16,000 gallon swimming pool in our backyard, i'm able to purchase a car with a higher budget than most people my age probably have (still saving up though, want to drive an old car like a 68 fastback, my uncles run a car shop, so I even had the idea of putting the body of the 68 car on the chassis of a newer car, but that would be expensive), there's probably some other factors that I can't recall but that's basically it. My dad works at a train company, but he got promoted a little over a couple years ago from the hands-on train work to the business stuff. My mom and I also work but I save like 90% of my money.

I have a friend who is an immigrant from Rwanda who first lived 30 years or as a refugee in Uganda before immigrating to Canada. He knows what "poor" is...

Just now, Patine said:

I have a friend who is an immigrant from Rwanda who first lived 30 years or as a refugee in Uganda before immigrating to Canada. He knows what "poor" is...

Well I said I was lower-middle class lol