270soft Forum
jnewt

Forum Constitutional Convention Proposals and Discussion

7 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Yes, I think a Senate Majority Leader could use this to circumvent moderate members of their own party. This goes for a Far-Left or Far-Right President/Senate Majority Leader combo

Ok I see what you're saying now. But now that I look into it further, I see this issue is actually covered in Article 2, along with vacancies in the executive branch. I therefore withdraw this proposal.

Add (disclaimer on how these may not be things I'm committed to, but things I'm not against):

• A nationwide ban on the death penalty.
  • Independent judiciary commission (similar to independent redistricting commissions, but for the appointment of judges)

Just now, Thunder said:

A nationwide ban on the death penalty.

I would also add to this a Constitutional ban on the privatization of the correctional system (prison-industrial complex) and profiting from prison labour - any such labour should only be used, if at all, for public infrastructure.

1 hour ago, Thunder said:

Add (disclaimer on how these may not be things I'm committed to, but things I'm not against):

• Independent judiciary commission (similar to independent redistricting commissions, but for the appointment of judges)

Expand on your second point. I'm curious for the reasoning behind an independent commission.

2 hours ago, Thunder said:

I'd support the first proposal, though I'd actually prefer if we made an exception for terrorists

19 minutes ago, jnewt said:

I'd support the first proposal, though I'd actually prefer if we made an exception for terrorists

I strongly disagree there. In fact, I disagree with existence of a class of criminal called "terrorists." The specifications, parameters, and definitions of what makes one a "terrorist" over someone else who commits the same collection of crimes, but is not labeled a "terrorist" is so ill-defined, arbitrary, politicised, subject to ruthless abuse and often without recourse, appeal, or a fair trial, and is, in essence, much the same as the label of a "political criminal" in authoritarian regimes, and easily be used and abused by a government in much the same way. EVERYONE should only be punished for the actual crimes on the criminal code they have committed with the standard punishments for those crimes, regardless of motivation. This also means I'm against the label "hate crimes," as they often lead to which hunts.

22 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

Expand on your second point. I'm curious for the reasoning behind an independent commission.

Independent judiciaries work better when not elected by polarized politicians (or when the balance of the court isn't dependent on conveniently timed resignations or deaths). Essentially, take the argument for an independent redistricting commission and replace "gerrymandering" with "appointing activist judges", "districts" with "judges", and "House" with "Court."

I'd add a nationwide ban on judicial elections

Here are the proposals for article 3 so far (let me know if I'm missing any or if there are any other proposals you'd like to add, voting will start tomorrow):

1. Fix the number of Supreme Court justices to 9, allowing for no reduction or increase in this number

2. Nationwide ban on the death penalty 

3. Independent judiciary commission (similar to independent redistricting commissions, but for the appointment of judges)

4. ban on the privatization of the correctional system (prison-industrial complex) and profiting from prison labor

5. Nationwide ban on judicial elections