270soft Forum
jnewt

Forum Constitutional Convention Proposals and Discussion

In this thread you can propose any changes you want to be made to Article 1 of the Constitution. We should also make sure to comment on others' proposals to develop them and to make sure any potential changes gain as much support as possible, as each proposal will need to be ratified by 2/3 of forum members. We will vote on the changes after it seems they have all been discussed sufficiently. For reference, here is the wikipedia page for Article 1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_One_of_the_United_States_Constitution

@TheLiberalKitten @POLITICALBOMB @Reagan04 @Thunder @ThePotatoWalrus @WVProgressive @Ido @Conservative Elector 2 @NYrepublican and any other forum member interested in participating

A few proposals

Amend to 1 legislative branch elected by MMP,Elections every 4 years in midterms

Remove this clause "No Person shall be a Representative who shall not have attained to the Age of twenty five Years, and been seven Years a Citizen of the United States"

5 minutes ago, jnewt said:

In this thread you can propose any changes you want to be made to Article 1 of the Constitution. We should also make sure to comment on others' proposals to develop them and to make sure any potential changes gain as much support as possible, as each proposal will need to be ratified by 2/3 of forum members. We will vote on the changes after it seems they have all been discussed sufficiently. For reference, here is the wikipedia page for Article 1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_One_of_the_United_States_Constitution

@TheLiberalKitten @POLITICALBOMB @Reagan04 @Thunder @ThePotatoWalrus @WVProgressive @Ido @Conservative Elector 2 @NYrepublican and any other forum member interested in participating

Unicameral, universal adult suffrage, MPP electoral system, voter initiative to propose and challenge Congressional laws, 4-year terms for members, willing to consider supporting term limits.

4 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

A few proposals

Amend to 1 legislative branch elected by MMP,Elections every 4 years in midterms

Remove this clause "No Person shall be a Representative who shall not have attained to the Age of twenty five Years, and been seven Years a Citizen of the United States"

We agree on three things while typing simultaneously. :P

My proposals (I'm stealing most of these from the original forum convention):

• Change Section 7, Clause 3 to give the president a line item veto
  •  Districts are to be redrawn and drawn in the future by a non-partisan independent commission

• Instant run-off voting (ranked choice) in all federal elections

• Forbid Governors from making temporary appointments to Congress; instead, require an automatic special election to be held within 6 months of a seat becoming vacant (unless an election is already scheduled to take place within 6 months)

I suggest abolishing Section 9 Clause 1 for basic reasons (Slavery is baaaad)

18 minutes ago, Ido said:

I suggest abolishing Section 9 Clause 1 for basic reasons (Slavery is baaaad)

I'd be in favor of abolishing clauses that are no longer relevant like that one. Also the one on the intial Seat divisions.

10 hours ago, jnewt said:
  • Forbid Governors from making temporary appointments to Congress; instead, require an automatic special election to be held within 6 months of a seat becoming vacant (unless an election is already scheduled to take place within 6 months)

I think vetoes by the President, either absolute or requiring a supermajority to overcome, should be done away with. Instead, the President should be able to send a bill back for reconsideration and a "sober second review," pointing out areas that should be reviewed or could be problems, or even expressing outright disapproval of the whole bill, but only be able to delay a bill solidly passed by Congressional majority (a power of review and delay that the modern day British House of Lords and Canadian Senate currently have, actually).

Just now, Patine said:

I think vetoes by the President, either absolute or requiring a supermajority, should be done away with. Instead, the President should be able to send a bill back for reconsideration and a "sober second review," pointing out areas that should be reviewed or could be problems, but only be able to delay a bill solidly passed by Congressional majority (a power of review and delay that the modern day British House of Lords and Canadian Senate currently have, actually).

good idea, the President shouldn't be able to veto a bill based on his own goals

7 minutes ago, Ido said:

good idea, the President shouldn't be able to veto a bill based on his own goals

No, not a good idea. This is wholely UnAmerican and while many of the ideas proposed have scared me, this is downright frightening and defeats the purpose of checks and balances.

i hate the this whole "UnAmerican" argument, what makes a bill pushed by a body that is supposed to represent the will of the people getting vetoed by the President "American"?

also because i can compromise, the President should be able call a poll asking about the people's opinion on the bill, sort of like a referendum (that would be very "American" imo)

2 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

No, not a good idea. This is wholely UnAmerican and while many of the ideas proposed have scared me, this is downright frightening and defeats the purpose of checks and balances.

Please, leave McCarthyist terms like "UnAmerican" out of this debate. That term was a vile promotion of authoritarian and intolerant propaganda that dictated to the population how their culture, ideals, and viewpoints were EXPECTED to be from the perspective of a dystopian, tyrannical, inflexible, and retrograde minority, even at the time, and was an accompanying term with such Red Scare/HUAC activities of that day, all of which were blatant violations of the Bill of Rights...

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

Please, leave McCarthyist terms like "UnAmerican" out of this debate. That term was a vile promotion of authoritarian and intolerant propaganda that dictated to the population how their culture, ideals, and viewpoints were EXPECTED to be from the perspective of a dystopian, tyrannical, inflexible, and retrograde minority, even at the time, and was an accompanying term with such Red Scare/HUAC activities of that day, all of which were blatant violations of the Bill of Rights...

that's why i lashed out at the "UnAmerican" argument, i hate McCarthyist terms

Proposals so far

• Unicameral legislature with MMP voting system elected every 4 years during midterms (Patine and NYrepublican)
  • Universal adult suffrage (Patine)
  • Remove age requirements, slavery related things(NYRepublican, Ido)
  • Term limits for Congress(Patine)
  • Voter initiative to call referendums to challenge congressional laws(Patine)
  • Give President a line item veto(Jnewt)
  • Have districts drawn by an independent commission(JNewt)
  • Have districts drawn using the split line method(NYRepublican)
  • Ranked choice voting in all federal elections.(JNewt)
  • Forbid Governors from making temporary appointments to Congress; instead, require an automatic special election to be held within 6 months of a seat becoming vacant (unless an election is already scheduled to take place within 6 months) (JNewt)
  • Eliminate presidential vetoes replace with "sober second review"(Patine)

Is that it?

1 minute ago, Ido said:

that's why i lashed out at the "UnAmerican" argument, i hate McCarthyist terms

4 minutes ago, Patine said:

Beautiful straw man really, though I would have pivoted a bit smoother. By unamerican I mean it literally violates our founding principles, your spiel has.nothing to do with what I'm saying. As for you Ido, yes, that is uniquely American. The Executive Branch has its power concentrated and has the power to counter the Legislative Branch which power is unconcentrated into the hands of 535 individuals.

1 minute ago, Reagan04 said:

Beautiful straw man really, though I would have pivoted a bit smoother. By unamerican I mean it literally violates our founding principles, your spiel has.nothing to do with what I'm saying. As for you Ido, yes, that is uniquely American. The Executive Branch has its power concentrated and has the power to counter the Legislative Branch which power is unconcentrated into the hands of 535 individuals.

Everyone can have their own opinions and interpretations of what the constitution means. It’s not one or the other it can be a variety of different views. Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean it’s Un-American.

7 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

Proposals so far

• Unicameral legislature with MMP voting system elected every 4 years during midterms (Patine and NYrepublican)
  • Forbid Governors from making temporary appointments to Congress; instead, require an automatic special election to be held within 6 months of a seat becoming vacant (unless an election is already scheduled to take place within 6 months) (JNewt)

Anyone want to add anything?

Just now, Reagan04 said:

First of all, it's NOT a uniquely American system. It was cribbed by the Founding Fathers, directly, along with the pardon, from powers the British Monarch had (and could freely use) at that time. There was no innovation in Philadelphia on that one (except maybe the override). Nowadays, vetoes by executive heads-of-state, whether overturnable or not, are dirt common in MANY sovereigns today - again not a unique American feature of governance.

41 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

Anyone want to add anything?

Everything looks good by me.

•  

Debate starts now

The Agenda

• Define copyright as 50 years MAX.

First up

Motion to introduce a Unicameral legislature with an MMP voting system elected every 4 years during midterms sponsored by Patine and Me.

Debate starts now.

2 hours ago, NYrepublican said:

First up

Motion to introduce a Unicameral legislature with an MMP voting system elected every 4 years during midterms sponsored by Patine and Me.

Debate starts now.

I am obviously in favor

2 hours ago, NYrepublican said:

First up

Debate starts now.

I'm in favor of this.