Jump to content
270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Ranking George Washington

Recommended Posts

Interesting post. I'll admit I didn't read the entirety but I at least skimmed most of it. Well-written.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Washington had run again in 1796 he would have won unanimously again.  No one was going to run against him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pilight said:

If Washington had run again in 1796 he would have won unanimously again.  No one was going to run against him.

There was firm opposition against his administration, following the Jay Treaty. I doubt Georgia would have voted for him, and at least one elector in NC, SC, would have probably voted against him. Constitutionally people would have run against him regardless, since that is how a VP was selected under the original rules. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, John Adams would have been on the ballot.  Not sure how voting for one of the Jay Treaty's staunchest supporters would have signaled dissatisfaction with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vcczar said:

There was firm opposition against his administration, following the Jay Treaty. I doubt Georgia would have voted for him, and at least one elector in NC, SC, would have probably voted against him. Constitutionally people would have run against him regardless, since that is how a VP was selected under the original rules. 

True. I doubt it would have been unanimous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm currently working on the John Adams blog. I won't have any timetable for releasing these, but I do hope to make it to Trump by the 2020 Election. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:29 PM, vcczar said:

I'm starting to rank the US presidents on my blog: https://historymonocle.com/2018/07/02/ranking-george-washington/

This blog is quite refreshing in it's notable objectivity from an American historian. I find a lot of American historians' portrayals of Washington heavily idealized, even mythologized in a significant number of cases. You've actually listed his major character flaws as well as merits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Patine said:

This blog is quite refreshing in it's notable objectivity from an American historian. I find a lot of American historians' portrayals of Washington heavily idealized, even mythologized in a significant number of cases. You've actually listed his major character flaws as well as merits.

Thanks. That's what I'm hoping to do with everyone, even those that I consider the most despicable presidents. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×