270soft Forum
LegolasRedbard

Anthony Kennedy Resigns

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Again, probably going to start another firestorm, but the term "pro-life" really bugs. It's a blatant and insulting-to-the-intelligence few are willing to call out. They are "anti-abortion and anti-euthanasia," plain and simple. Most people (at least in the U.S. and even many in other English-speaking countries) who identify as "pro-life" usually also support some combination of (but not necessarily all of for any given individual) the death penalty, lethal police impunity, military adventurism, high military budgets, cut or minimal public medical coverage (and privatized medical costs having no cap whatsoever), no social security net (leading to potentially people starving in the street who loose their jobs simply due to corporate downsizing, redundancy of their jobs, economic downturns, corporate mergers, their employers going out of business, and other factors beyond their power), cutting of emergency response services to bare bones budget (like the cherished idea the @ThePotatoWalrus mentioned earlier of FEMA cut to the bone because "the States should be handling all their own emergency natural disaster situations, even the if State are highly insufficient because it's not a Federal jurisdiction), sending money and weapons to foreign regimes who fight endless wars and engage in atrocities, protecting "the right to bear arms" as an absolute, without promoting the sense of responsibility of such a right like, say, Switzerland, Sweden, and Finland do, and coupling that with an ultra-violent media influencing for worse (whatever "quackery" @NYrepublican) obviously the mental state of the youth of the nation toward violence, and other cherished policies that lead to vast, vast amounts of deliberate death committed by, or at least endorsed by or ignored by, the government and it's laws, amounts of death that make the real number of abortions and euthanasia a mere drop in bucket to in comparison. THIS is why the absolute insulting self-label of the "pro-life" movement is such an utter lie and so bugs. I wish they would have the decency to call a spade a spade and just call themselves the "anti-abortion/anti-euthanasia" lobby.

The "ultra violent media" influencing violence is FALSE. There is no evidence for it and thus it should be disregarded summarily just as one would the hypothesis that the flying spaghetti monster is behind all crime in romania.

Just now, NYrepublican said:

The "ultra violent media" influencing violence is FALSE. There is no evidence for it and thus it should be disregarded summarily just as one would the hypothesis that the flying spaghetti monster is behind all crime in romania.

I would not say your off-hand example is at all comparable. Saying there is "no evidence" and any connection is "false" (as an all-knowing, speaking-with-authority, @Presidentinsertname-type statement) shows such an incredible denial of the blatantly obvious and any rational connection of logic - a notable red flag for the beginnings of mental illness (and remember, I have dealings with the mentally ill in my own profession).

15 minutes ago, Patine said:

Again, probably going to start another firestorm, but the term "pro-life" really bugs. It's a blatant and insulting-to-the-intelligence few are willing to call out.

I'm generally willing to let people choose their own labels.  I doubt many people are unclear on what this one entails.

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

I would not say your off-hand example is at all comparable. Saying there is "no evidence" and any connection is "false" (as an all-knowing, speaking-with-authority, @Presidentinsertname-type statement) shows such an incredible denial of the blatantly obvious and any rational connection of logic - a notable red flag for the beginnings of mental illness (and remember, I have dealings with the mentally ill in my own profession).

Well you've presented NO evidence and tried to shift the burden of proof onto me to disprove.

1 minute ago, NYrepublican said:

Well you've presented NO evidence and tried to shift the burden of proof onto me to disprove.

The proof is in the pudding. As I said, it's obvious. Blatant, common, and brazen youth violent crime and non-criminal but violent attitudes have risen at very close to the same steady clip as the promotion of graphic violence in cinema, television, and later computer entertainment, increasing in intensity when decronstructionist started becoming commonplace, in American society in a view of these crimes (taking both lethal and non-lethal violent crimes into account, so not just the infamous shootings) on rough (not exact, but par) to the media violence promotion since the '60's. In fact, there was a dip in said crime in the early '90's during the media censorship debate spearheaded by Newt Gingrich where the movie ratings system was overhauled and certain music albums had to mandatorily take the "explicit lyrics" label on their CD packages.

The proof is in the pudding. As I said, it's obvious. Blatant, common, and brazen youth violent crime and non-criminal but violent attitudes have risen at very close to the same steady clip as the promotion of graphic violence in cinema, television, and later computer entertainment, increasing in intensity when decronstructionist started becoming commonplace, in American society in a view of these crimes (taking both lethal and non-lethal violent crimes into account, so not just the infamous shootings) on rough (not exact, but par) to the media violence promotion since the '60's. In fact, there was a dip in said crime in the early '90's during the media censorship debate spearheaded by Newt Gingrich where the movie ratings system was overhauled and certain music albums had to mandatorily take the "explicit lyrics" label on their CD packages.

According to UNICEF violent crime has decreased dramatically in Europe and has stayed stable in America for over a decade.

9 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

Well couldn't the media glorification of mass-murderers (I mean glorification by running story after story about, say for example, the latest mass shooter.) puss someone on the edge to go through with such heinous acts, that's not to say it's the only cause, of course mental health most likely is the main cause, but the media (namely the news media) isn't helping.  

8 minutes ago, Patine said:

In fact, there was a dip in said crime in the early '90's during the media censorship debate spearheaded by Newt Gingrich where the movie ratings system was overhauled and certain music albums had to mandatorily take the "explicit lyrics" label on their CD packages.

There was also a rise in highly punitive crime policies in the US. 

6 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

Well couldn't the media glorification of mass-murderers (I mean glorification by running story after story about, say for example, the latest mass shooter.) puss someone on the edge to go through with such heinous acts, that's not to say it's the only cause, of course mental health most likely is the main cause, but the media (namely the news media) isn't helping.  

I will concede it isn't helping I just doubt it's the main cause.

I love how this forum can get really heated sometimes with debates and stuff, but everybody knows everybody and respects everyone well enough that they can help each other with simple things such as a VCR when they were ideological enemies minutes ago. We have a really good community here.

2 hours ago, WVProgressive said:

Now you're getting it my friend. Another example of how the (((media))) subtly controls our daily lives and actions. And another reason as to why I refuse to allow myself to be influenced by it.

10 hours ago, Rodja said:

So selfish decision from you Justice Kennedy.Now we are gonna have another Trumpinazi on court.

GOD SAVE RUTH BADEN GINSBURG!

Um, could you explain how one of the most virulent defenders of liberty in the nation right now, Neil Gorsuch, is a Nazi?

39 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Now you're getting it my friend. Another example of how the (((media))) subtly controls our daily lives and actions. And another reason as to why I refuse to allow myself to be influenced by it.

.... and lives in the radio-free zone in WV /s

2 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

Um, could you explain how one of the most virulent defenders of liberty in the nation right now, Neil Gorsuch, is a Nazi?

Here is a post I made on another forum about the modern tendency, especially in the U.S., to spam terms like Fascist, Nazi, Communist, etc., to attack and slander political opponents and people they don't like.

"I don't think "Fascism" is the appropriate term. Fascism, like Communism (another such term often used in such an inappropriately generic sense) are actually very specific ideologies, world views, forms of government and economics, and social and cultural promotion. While each has some variation within (Mussolini's Corporatism, Falangism, Naziism, Shintaisei, etc. for Fascism, and Marxism-Leninism, Stalinism, Trotskyism, Post-Stalinisit Revisionism, Titoism, Maoism, Hoxhaism, etc. for Communism), they both nonetheless have a very narrow purview and definition in their proper definition and application. I think what has to be understood here, going forward, before people start "crying wolf" using various inappropriate and outdated terms, and then trying to force analogs and comparisons to match their declarations, is that definitely a new governing style and "order," if you will, is forming and coalescing in the world (though I, personally, believe Trump is actually a very small part of the phenomenon, unlike many, who seem to believe he's the defining architect), that whatever this new regime may end up forming into, it will be something unprecedented - no doubt Dystopian, but without direct previous analog - in our history. It will not truly be Fascism - it will be different, but certainly not better... "

5 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I love how this forum can get really heated sometimes with debates and stuff, but everybody knows everybody and respects everyone well enough that they can help each other with simple things such as a VCR when they were ideological enemies minutes ago. We have a really good community here.

The dirty secret that politicians try to hide is that most of what they do is irrelevant.  Politics just isn't that important.

Take this Mexican border stuff.  America has been debating what to do down there for as long as it's been the border, and will still be doing so long after we're all dead and buried.  It runs in cycles, sometimes more lenient other times more strict.  What the Trump nativists say today is indistinguishable from Know Nothing Party rhetoric of the 1850's.

8 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

Defender of liberty?!When have he defended gay people or right of the women to choose what to do with their body?!

4 minutes ago, Rodja said:

Defender of liberty?!When have he defended gay people or right of the women to choose what to do with their body?!

Well I'm not interested in getting into that discussion, but rather his steadfast support for individual rights and real rights guarded by the Constitution. I fail to see the Nazism in that.

28 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Well I'm not interested in getting into that discussion, but rather his steadfast support for individual rights and real rights guarded by the Constitution. I fail to see the Nazism in that.

📠📠

5 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

📠📠

What does this ridiculous thing mean?

7 minutes ago, Patine said:

What does this ridiculous thing mean?

Fax machine. Fax rhymes with 'Facts', which, used as a single word, expresses agreement with a particular statement or analogy. However, in this circumstance, I used double fax machines, to express substantial consensus with the former statement.

1 minute ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Fax machine. Fax rhymes with 'Facts', which, used as a single word, expresses agreement with a particular statement or analogy. However, in this circumstance, I used double fax machines, to express substantial consensus with the former statement.

I see no hard "facts" you're agreeing with, though - only @Reagan04's pure and complete subjective opinion.

I see no hard "facts" you're agreeing with, though - only @Reagan04's pure and complete subjective opinion.

The beautiful thing about our great Constitution is that it isn't subjective.

The beautiful thing about our great Constitution is that it isn't subjective.

So it actually IS the racist, misogynist, homophobic, xenophobic, parochial, elitist, plutocratic, and theonymist document it's successfully been used as at numerous junctures in U.S. history as - or is there REALLY a subjective quality there after all?

So it actually IS the racist, misogynist, homophobic, xenophobic, parochial, elitist, plutocratic, and theonymist document it's successfully been used as at numerous junctures in U.S. history as - or is there REALLY a subjective quality there after all?

Lol you never said that when Trump wasn't in office.

Lol you never said that when Trump wasn't in office.

Trump? He has nothing to do with this and changes nothing. I was of the opinion the U.S. Constitution and governing needed serious reform and change since before you were born. Don't bring Trump into this like you think he magically changes my core opinions and views. I'm NOT who or what you seem to be implying I am...