270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NYrepublican

Truly dangerous territory

SO President Trump just said that the press is the "country's biggest enemy." Corker also noted the cult mentality of the party on the senate floor.

24 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

SO President Trump just said that the press is the "country's biggest enemy." Corker also noted the cult mentality of the party on the senate floor.

But, I am of the firm belief that Donald Trump would never have been elected President, or even won the Republican Primaries, if it were not for his free press coverage, EVEN if it was all negative.

Donald Trump is made of the same dictatorial material like Putin and Kim Jong Un.

We live in a world where Trump assumes that both Canada, and the free press are threats to the nation; but Kim Jung Un and Putin are good friends. 

Regardless of political orientation, the President declaring the free press as an enemy of the state(essentially akin to Hamas) is worrysome. And I am beyond thankful that someone like @NYrepublican, despite having some policy differences with, can see the long term damage this can have to our nation.

21 minutes ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

We live in a world where Trump assumes that both Canada, and the free press are threats to the nation; but Kim Jung Un and Putin are good friends. 

Regardless of political orientation, the President declaring the free press as an enemy of the state(essentially akin to Hamas) is worrysome. And I am beyond thankful that someone like @NYrepublican, despite having some policy differences with, can see the long term damage this can have to our nation.

An interesting, eerily similar, attitude about domestic press from a leader no Trump supporter would want Trump associated with at all (or most Americans wouldn't want any U.S. President compared to):

"The journalists of this country, under foreign influence and funding, are in a concerted effort to destroy. The freedom of the press I, myself, re-instated, has been used as a tool to cause lawlessness, chaos, and turbulence in our society. Any journalist who is caught writing slanderous, deceitful, libel, or incendiary material about, inciting distrust and disobedience toward me or my government, or besmirching the morals or morale of the nation, will be summarily imprisoned to blow off steam, cool down, and think about their actions."

-Yoweri Museveni, President of Uganda (1986-Present)

Amazingly similar sentiments.

I'm not surprised, he does want to keep us in fields! Told you he was a dictator, didn't I!

23 minutes ago, Wiw said:

I'm not surprised, he does want to keep us in fields! Told you he was a dictator, didn't I!

Well, I don't know (or think) he wants to create a neo-feudal, agrarian state, but I don't believe he's trustworthy or truly competent as U.S. President.

7 minutes ago, Patine said:

Well, I don't know (or think) he wants to create a neo-feudal, agrarian state, but I don't believe he's trustworthy or truly competent as U.S. President.

In the US-atleast in my neck of the woods- "keep us in the fields" is a direct reference to slavery, and keeping an entire underclass. I doubt Trump knows how to govern a farm. He might look at the field of green and go, "Where do I place my golf balls?". Bad joke aside, but I agree with @Wiw, with the sentiment of the Trump administration working hard to undermine the rights granted to many Americans. 

What is this Today Trump went on Fox and said ""[Kim] speaks and his people stand up in attention. I want my people to do the same. "

15 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

What is this Today Trump went on Fox and said ""[Kim] speaks and his people stand up in attention. I want my people to do the same. "

One of the few consistent things about Trump is his admiration for dictators and desire to be like them.

10 hours ago, pilight said:

One of the few consistent things about Trump is his admiration for dictators and desire to be like them.

He's President of the wrong country for his style of leadership.

23 hours ago, Patine said:

He's President of the wrong country for his style of leadership.

I really doubt Trump is doing this intentionally. I think he's just talking withut paying attention to what he's saying as did Obama (who subpoenaed associated press phone records BTW)

2 hours ago, NYrepublican said:

I really doubt Trump is doing this intentionally. I think he's just talking withut paying attention to what he's saying as did Obama (who subpoenaed associated press phone records BTW)

Personally, I've believed for over a year (and recent interview with Boehner, who believes the same thing, helps confirm this in me) that when Trump joined the Republican Primaries in 2015, he didn't actually intend, or even want to be, President. It was a PR stunt in response to things like "The Apprentice" being off the air, the Miss America and Miss Universe paegents dissasociating with him, and looming lawsuits over fraud concerning Trump College. It seems, however, his showmanship caused him to achieve far greater success than even he, himself, imagined, but his ego and narcissism wouldn't let him back down or slow down. And now, in my belief (and Boehner's) - and there's empirical evidence to back it up in his actions - he's "phoning in" (to use old Hollywood actor parlance) being parlance, especially with his eclectic, almost randomly assembled, and constantly shifting cabinet and other high, executive offices, and his irrational, shifting, and often out-of-touch behaviour.