270soft Forum
Patine

A Frightening Vision Just Hit Me

A frightening vision (at least to me, and one that hits home more directly than Trump, or Farage, or LaPen, or Putin, or Netanyahu, or Modi, or al-Baghdadi, or Kim, or what have you) came to me as I watched the Ontario election results last night. It's not just that Doug Ford was elected Premier of Ontario with a firm majority government last night. It's worse. The Federal scene has Trudeau's popularity tanking, the NDP still struggling, and the Federal Conservative Party caucus with no strong members crying out for a leader. The next Federal will likely be next year - Constitutionally no later than 2020 at the absolute latest. It just occurred to me last night that if after a year or so as Ontario Premier, Ford just "moved up" to the Federal level to a Federal Conservative Party where all the "bigwigs" from the Harper Government are retired (a couple of them are even dead), he might just be able to waltz into the party leadership and practically have a "coronation walk" at the next Federal election. And his attitude would make him the closest to a "Canadian Trump." This scares me.

Well you've always said Canadian politics are unpredictable, let's just hope that mean the next federal ends in an NDP surge that no one predicted :P, but in all seriousness lets just hope this "Canadian trump" isn't as bad (or powerful) as original Trump.

4 hours ago, Patine said:

A frightening vision (at least to me, and one that hits home more directly than Trump, or Farage, or LaPen, or Putin, or Netanyahu, or Modi, or al-Baghdadi, or Kim, or what have you) came to me as I watched the Ontario election results last night. It's not just that Doug Ford was elected Premier of Ontario with a firm majority government last night. It's worse. The Federal scene has Trudeau's popularity tanking, the NDP still struggling, and the Federal Conservative Party caucus with no strong members crying out for a leader. The next Federal will likely be next year - Constitutionally no later than 2020 at the absolute latest. It just occurred to me last night that if after a year or so as Ontario Premier, Ford just "moved up" to the Federal level to a Federal Conservative Party where all the "bigwigs" from the Harper Government are retired (a couple of them are even dead), he might just be able to waltz into the party leadership and practically have a "coronation walk" at the next Federal election. And his attitude would make him the closest to a "Canadian Trump." This scares me.

Man if only Trudeau followed through with his promise of electoral reform( top two system, IRV, MMP), so the hands of Canada are not in a man that barely 40% in his province. 

@Patine

An interesting idea - I don't think Andrew Scheer is a particularly strong leader, but time will tell. The simplest way for this to happen would be if Ford had a very good first year, then Scheer steps aside. I don't know how likely the latter is, though.

oh fuck i'm moving to Canada this month and as someone who pays attention to politics it seems like the worst time to move

On 6/9/2018 at 2:05 AM, WVProgressive said:

Well you've always said Canadian politics are unpredictable, let's just hope that mean the next federal ends in an NDP surge that no one predicted :P, but in all seriousness lets just hope this "Canadian trump" isn't as bad (or powerful) as original Trump.

The Ford's are definitely worse than Trump, atleast Rob Ford was. Doug Ford is just a big mouth populist but he does have """experience."""

Scheer is just a diet-Harper and NDP hasn't got the expected surge from Jagmeet Singh. I do think it'll be closer this time round but I wouldn't expect a Trudeau majority.

I actually hope for that. I just want Scheer gone tbh. Even as someone whos more centre than anything, I can't bare the idea of that man representing what is supposed to be a centre right party.

On 6/10/2018 at 8:33 PM, wolves said:

The Ford's are definitely worse than Trump, atleast Rob Ford was. Doug Ford is just a big mouth populist but he does have """experience."""

'Experience' isn't necessarily re-assuring. There's a good chance that Trump would be worse if he had served twenty years in Congress prior to his presidency. 

If that happens, the last safe haven for the left will be gone! The whole world will have been gripped by right-wing fever - and freedom will die.

5 hours ago, Wiw said:

If that happens, the last safe haven for the left will be gone! The whole world will have been gripped by right-wing fever - and freedom will die.

Canada isn't notably 'left' - it's main social democratic party has never been in government at the federal level. The Liberal Party is fundamentally a party without principle - it can be left, right or centre depending on time and province. The Conservative Party is also to the right of most other First World mainstream centre-right parties.