270soft Forum
Sunnymentoaddict

Will we ever see a US President with a beard within the next 20 years?

Will we ever see a US President with a beard within the next 20 years?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Will we ever see a US President with a beard within the next 20 years?

After a series of rather stressful posts/ political news, I feel we should lighten things up with a question that has been on my mind: "When will beards return to the White House?"

I don't think so for the following reasons:

• The return of the beard into popular culture, according to a recent study that someone told me about, is now on the decline. Supposedly, people that had been bearded are now more often shaving. 
  • The people in the professions most likely to make it to the White House are generally beardless. Paul Ryan had one as Speaker for about a week, and was compelled to shave. Al Gore shaved, too. 
  • The icons and inspirations of successful politicians are beardless (except for Jesus). 
  • Those that generally sport the beard are about a decade or two away from a presidential nomination, most likely. They likely will change their appearance with the times. 
  • We have a better shot at getting a woman president with each election year. 

That said, I'd like to see a bearded candidate. 

2 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

After a series of rather stressful posts/ political news, I feel we should lighten things up with a question that has been on my mind: "When will beards return to the White House?"

THIS IS SO WEIRD. I was literally thinking about politicians with facial hair last night trying to think of some off the top of my head. I knew Theodore Roosevelt was the last President with any and Benjamin Harrison the last with a full-blown beard. Thinking of current politicians, Rep. David McKinley (R-WV-1) immediately came to mind. And obviously Speaker Ryan's failed attempt to work the beard as of late, not to mention Al Gore! Eliot Engel has a strong stache and Raul Grijalva is rocking the goatee. Dan Newhouse has the full nine yards, one of the very few of whom I know that do. Obviously Al Green is quite the character, and his facial hair shows it! Interestingly, as I'm thinking of all the Representatives and Senators with facial hair, they are overwhelmingly Democrats and seem to be quite racially representative. Only two Senators of which I know have facial hair, Hoeven and King. 2% is a really tiny portion and it's interesting to compare how many members of our congress rock the facial hair, as opposed to members of the general population.

We stopped electing bearded candidates when women started voting.  Most women don't like beards.  Jimmy the Greek supposedly won $170,000 betting underdog Harry Truman against Thomas Dewey based on women's dislike for facial hair and all Dewey had was a mustache.

I think over time, the fashion trend of society will change dramatically as it did throughout history. It's not impossible, it's just not likely.

I think not, because the testosterone level of men has been dropping for years and years. Additionally, the only man in politics now that I remember with a beard was Paul Ryan, and Ben Carson.

29 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

the testosterone level of men has been dropping for years and years.

Do you have any evidence for this assertion?

9 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

Do you have any evidence for this assertion?

I thought it was common knowledge?

1 minute ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I thought it was common knowledge?

So that's a no.

2 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

So that's a no.

When levels of obesity go up, as it has been for decades, testosterone levels drop. High levels of obesity = low levels of testosterone.

21 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

When levels of obesity go up, as it has been for decades, testosterone levels drop. High levels of obesity = low levels of testosterone.

Really? I honestly thought you were going to say something about cross-dressing and men doing more feminine things. What does obesity have to do with lower testosterone.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3955331/

High obesity = low testosterone. The less active you are, the more likely you are to be obese. The more active you are, the more likely your testosterone levels rise. Americans have become more obese for decades.

@pilight @ThePotatoWalrus - it's obvious a lot of people are so used to an environment where debunked myths, revised history, urban legends, superstition, and outright false stereotypes and statements are just made by people and BELIEVED at face value, giving these people immense confidence to attempt to make declarations of such to more knowledgeable or educated audiences, and become surprised by the results. And, before the predictable response by some, this is NOT partisan quality - it's an issue affecting society as whole.

4 minutes ago, wolves said:
1 hour ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3955331/

High obesity = low testosterone. The less active you are, the more likely you are to be obese. The more active you are, the more likely your testosterone levels rise. Americans have become more obese for decades.

Huh. I always thought testosterone was inherited.

6 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

THIS IS SO WEIRD. I was literally thinking about politicians with facial hair last night trying to think of some off the top of my head. I knew Theodore Roosevelt was the last President with any and Benjamin Harrison the last with a full-blown beard. Thinking of current politicians, Rep. David McKinley (R-WV-1) immediately came to mind. And obviously Speaker Ryan's failed attempt to work the beard as of late, not to mention Al Gore! Eliot Engel has a strong stache and Raul Grijalva is rocking the goatee. Dan Newhouse has the full nine yards, one of the very few of whom I know that do. Obviously Al Green is quite the character, and his facial hair shows it! Interestingly, as I'm thinking of all the Representatives and Senators with facial hair, they are overwhelmingly Democrats and seem to be quite racially representative. Only two Senators of which I know have facial hair, Hoeven and King. 2% is a really tiny portion and it's interesting to compare how many members of our congress rock the facial hair, as opposed to members of the general population.

Was that a serious attempt of bringing back the beard? I thought he just didn't shave while hunting out in the woods, and just forgot to shave before returning to work- the story of my life now during my 3 day weekends. 

But your latter point is why I asked. While beards as whole are dying out as 'fad', I still see men with some form of facial hair- across all socioeconomic lines. And I feel it is simply a matter of time before we a see a candidate with facial hair waltz into the White House.

11 minutes ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

Was that a serious attempt of bringing back the beard? I thought he just didn't shave while hunting out in the woods, and just forgot to shave before returning to work- the story of my life now during my 3 day weekends. 

But your latter point is why I asked. While beards as whole are dying out as 'fad', I still see men with some form of facial hair- across all socioeconomic lines. And I feel it is simply a matter of time before we a see a candidate with facial hair waltz into the White House.

Yeah and they only have mustaches, Hoeven's is quite good, King's is meh. David McKinley has the real stache though I must say.

2 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

Yeah and they only have mustaches, Hoeven's is quite good, King's is meh. David McKinley has the real stache though I must say.

Do you like Bolton's? 

5 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Do you like Bolton's? 

I hadn't thought of that! Yes, it's quite good.

8 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Do you like Bolton's? 

5 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

I hadn't thought of that! Yes, it's quite good.

He looks kind of like my Grade Six teacher did, as I remember (but the memory is not as clear as one might think though, after 30 or so years).

5 hours ago, WVProgressive said:

Huh. I always thought testosterone was inherited.

I believe that has some connection. There are multiple factors: Genetics, smoking probably lowers it, sexual activity, exercise, etc.

Although, I think there's a MUCH more important question than bearded Presidents, or female Presidents, or any other such thing. A big one that comes to mind for is - will the United States see, in the next 20 years, or the forseeable future at all, a President who will bring the nation and it's people together far moreso instead of just further dividing it!?

11 minutes ago, Patine said:

Although, I think there's a MUCH more important question than bearded Presidents, or female Presidents, or any other such thing. A big one that comes to mind for is - will the United States see, in the next 20 years, or the forseeable future at all, a President who will bring the nation and it's people together far moreso instead of just further dividing it!?

For someone who seems to despise the notion that everything has to be black-or-white you really seem to only focus on the negative things of the Trump administration. I bet you never heard of how Trump commuted the sentence of Alice Johnson, the grandmother who served 21 years in prison for a nonviolent offense.

27 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

For someone who seems to despise the notion that everything has to be black-or-white you really seem to only focus on the negative things of the Trump administration. I bet you never heard of how Trump commuted the sentence of Alice Johnson, the grandmother who served 21 years in prison for a nonviolent offense.

Of course you assume I was ONLY referring to Trump. But no, Bush, Obama, and both Clintons (Hillary as a hypothetical along with Dole, Gore, Kerry, McCain, and Romney), and as well as most of the prominent primary candidates who didn't get nominated for the two main parties, with only a very few POSSIBLE exceptions, were also (or would also be) dead on arrival as national unifying administrations and not dividing. But, in your tunnel vision, you saw ONLY a specific dig at Trump, even though I didn't even type his name there.