270soft Forum
Patine

Flag Style Question?

@admin_270 I've wondered for years and years why 80soft/TheorySpark/270soft games "official" scenarios use those national and regional flags with originally the blue band added to the top and bottom, and later red bands in those locations. I, myself, never use such a flag format for my custom scenarios, but use "fully filled-out" flag graphics, and there's never been a graphics error I've encountered. To my knowledge, the vast majority of national and sub-national flag laws would with their casual portrayals as is in these types of game, and the VERY few nations who have much stricter laws on the use of their flags (such as, Saudi Arabia) would not be the subject of MOST scenario projects by these games. Is there (or was there originally) a practical or logistical reason for the blue, and then red, horizontal borders?

Using a band sometimes allows you to use original dimensions for a source flag image (so, not cropping the original flag image or distorting it).

1 hour ago, admin_270 said:

Using a band sometimes allows you to use original dimensions for a source flag image (so, not cropping the original flag image or distorting it).

Ah. That's understandable. It's still not an esthetic I prefer to use in my own fan made scenarios, but now I can understand and appreciate why you use them.