270soft Forum
RI Democrat

Ontario 2018 Scenario

Just started playing a round as the NDP with the updated PMI Canada and thought I'd collect my thoughts as I go along. I realize that this might be sort of a "beta" version and some of these issues will go away as updates come. (And some of these are just play-by-play observations rather than points of contention anyway.)

• On the very first day, Wynne and Ford agreed to a 20-day non-aggression pact. Maybe the relations numbers need to be changed? On my own Relations screen, Horwath has 92 with Ford, 33 with Wynne, and 34 with Schreiner. I can't see the Wynne-Ford relations score, but from my admittedly cursory knowledge of Ontario politics, it seems unlikely that both the Liberals and the NDP would get along with the PCs better than with each other or that Wynne and Ford would agree not to attack each other for 20 minutes, much less 20 days.
  • I appear to have a -2 rating for my Transit &  Infrastructure position in North York and North Toronto, even though Horwath's position is scored as 26.7L and the regional center is 20.5L. Why is that a minus-2? Is there some other factor that I'm overlooking? Also, for whatever reason, the labels of Center, Center-Left, etc. aren't appearing under certain of the issue scales:image.png.ca797ba1e90be7e1a760f4084284ada3.png
  • Nice to see the differentiated issue importance for the different regions (this is something I'm usually too lazy to do in my own scenarios).
  • I won the debate! Though I didn't actually do much to prepare for it. Ford had an attack backfire and only got 1 point to my 8 and Wynne's 6.
  • I seem to have better platform scores for most of the individual regions than I do for Ontario overall - maybe the province-wide issue centers are tilted a little to the right?
  • The following issues are listed as possible to have scandals: integrity, transit, education, democratic reform, taxes, housing
  • Moving into the final week and a half and I'm probably going to have to do a lot of fundraising to stay afloat. I'm trying to deny the PCs a majority, so I'm not investing as much into tight races with the Liberals or into ridings where it's a close LIB-PC battle with the NDP well behind.
  • Well, crap - a policy speech on health care, one of my theme issues, just backfired.
  • Five days left and Ford is releasing an attack ad on...Schreiner? Well, at least he's leaving me alone.
  • With three days left, the polls are projecting PC 64, LIB 25, NDP 23, 12 undecided
  • Momentum is on my side in the final days whereas Ford has had some backfires and is still wasting money on attacking Schreiner. Could be too little, too late though.
  • Something I've never fully understood in these games - sometimes when I go to barnstorm in a seat where I have negative momentum, the game will predict something like -1 or -2 power from the event. But is that necessarily how it will actually score? It seems to me that the barnstorming should have the potential effect of offsetting the negative momentum.
  • Day 0 and Wynne just released an attack ad on Schreiner too. Okay then. Un-halted my one TV ad - not sure if it'll actually count towards anything.
  • Ridings where one or more parties do not have the candidate's name: Aurora-Oak Ridges-Richmond Hill (NDP), Flamborough-Glanbrook (NDP), Kanata-Carleton (NDP), Markham-Stouffville (NDP), Markham-Thornhill (NDP), Markham-Unionville (NDP), Milton (NDP), Niagara West (LIB), Oakville North-Burlington (NDP), Scarborough-Agincourt (NDP), Scarborough-Guildwood (NDP),
  • Still seeing some pretty big vote fluctuations in some seats - will elaborate on this in a second post.
  • Final results: PC 60, NDP 34, LIB 30. The post-election negotiations were extremely difficult - the best I could do was to first give Wynne all my remaining PIPs for nothing, thus improving the two parties' relations, then pledge confidence and supply to the Liberals even though I had more seats than they did (though they had a slightly higher percentage of the popular vote).

1. " On my own Relations screen, Horwath has 92 with Ford, 33 with Wynne, and 34 with Schreiner. " PCs and Liberals relations are set to Very Bad (0) to start. Starting a game as the PCs (Ford), relations are 1 with Liberals, 1 with NDP. This is as they should be. Do Horwath and Ford have 92 on the first day, or is this after a significant amount of campaigning?

2. " I appear to have a -2 rating for my Transit &  Infrastructure position in North York and North Toronto " This is a bug - thanks for this. Looking at the electoral districts, the bonuses are correct.

3.  "The following issues are listed as possible to have scandals: integrity, transit, education, democratic reform, taxes, housing " An error in the campaign - noted.

4. " Day 0 and Wynne just released an attack ad on Schreiner too. Okay then." This should be happening infrequently - I've noted it.

5. " Ridings where one or more parties do not have the candidate's name " This will be updated - thanks for this.

15 hours ago, admin_270 said:

1. " On my own Relations screen, Horwath has 92 with Ford, 33 with Wynne, and 34 with Schreiner. " PCs and Liberals relations are set to Very Bad (0) to start. Starting a game as the PCs (Ford), relations are 1 with Liberals, 1 with NDP. This is as they should be. Do Horwath and Ford have 92 on the first day, or is this after a significant amount of campaigning?

2. " I appear to have a -2 rating for my Transit &  Infrastructure position in North York and North Toronto " This is a bug - thanks for this. Looking at the electoral districts, the bonuses are correct.

3.  "The following issues are listed as possible to have scandals: integrity, transit, education, democratic reform, taxes, housing " An error in the campaign - noted.

4. " Day 0 and Wynne just released an attack ad on Schreiner too. Okay then." This should be happening infrequently - I've noted it.

5. " Ridings where one or more parties do not have the candidate's name " This will be updated - thanks for this.

Regarding question 1, I picked the later start date for the scenario but I don't think much of anything had actually happened yet - at most I played maybe one or two days before looking at the party relations screen, and Wynne & Ford announced their 20-day nonaggression pact after just a day or two as well.

I tried running a 7-days-per turn campaign as the NOTA party just to check a couple things. The Ford-Wynne non-aggression pact happens right off the bat again. Here's the screenshot. Not only that, but on the next day, Ford and Horwath also agreed to a nonaggression pact. The latter did not happen in my previous game, but I was playing as the NDP - maybe there is some quirk in how computer-computer nonaggression pacts are being decided?
image.png.a11d287eb89d08754d70f4493f7d096a.png

Hi Anthony, I tried one other thing I thought I'd let you know about - I went in and edited the individual party leaders' relations to match their parties (i.e. Very Bad for Wynne/Ford, Good for Wynne/Schreiner, Bad for Wynne/Horwath, etc.), started the game as Horwath, and I did not get the bizarrely high relations score with Ford, nor did Wynne and Ford form a non-aggression pact in the first 7 days.

I was unable to replicate the bug, but upon inspecting the relations initialization code, there was a bug that may have been causing this. This is fixed for the next update.