270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Patine

Question for Conservative Elector 2

@Conservative Elector 2 If I may ask, does the Austrian media (and official terminology) refer to a lower house legislator as a "Member of the National Council" (Mitglieder der Nationalrat), a "National Councillor" (I'm not sure what that would be in German), a "Deputy" or other generic title, or what? What is they're official analog to a Congressperson, MP, MdB, or Deputy in other countries?

6 hours ago, Patine said:

@Conservative Elector 2 If I may ask, does the Austrian media (and official terminology) refer to a lower house legislator as a "Member of the National Council" (Mitglieder der Nationalrat), a "National Councillor" (I'm not sure what that would be in German), a "Deputy" or other generic title, or what? What is they're official analog to a Congressperson, MP, MdB, or Deputy in other countries?

The term for Member of the National Council would be "Mitglieder des Nationalrates". That describes basically all members on the whole. But no one would address just one person like this, although it would be correct to say "Sebastian Kurz, Mitglied des Nationalrates" (I know he is chancellor now... :) it is just an example). But the media would not say, "The Mitglied des Nationalrates, Sebatian Kurz said..."

So the most common used short form would be "Nationalratsabgeordneter" or "Nationalratsabgeordnete" for women. The media would probably say: "The Nationalratsabgeordneter Sebastian Kurz said..."

If you speak directly to them it would be proper to add titles like "Herr" or "Frau" which is equal to Mr./Mrs. In this case it would not be considered a flaw if you drop the prefix "Nationalrats", so basically you can address a member as "Herr Abgeordneter" or "Frau Abgeordnete". You can add the surname or not, both is okay.

I hope this helped, if you have more questions like this, please let me know. :) 

6 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

The term for Member of the National Council would be "Mitglieder des Nationalrates". That describes basically all members on the whole. But no one would address just one person like this, although it would be correct to say "Sebastian Kurz, Mitglied des Nationalrates" (I know he is chancellor now... :) it is just an example). But the media would not say, "The Mitglied des Nationalrates, Sebatian Kurz said..."

So the most common used short form would be "Nationalratsabgeordneter" or "Nationalratsabgeordnete" for women. The media would probably say: "The Nationalratsabgeordneter Sebastian Kurz said..."

If you speak directly to them it would be proper to add titles like "Herr" or "Frau" which is equal to Mr./Mrs. In this case it would not be considered a flaw if you drop the prefix "Nationalrats", so basically you can address a member as "Herr Abgeordneter" or "Frau Abgeordnete". You can add the surname or not, both is okay.

I hope this helped, if you have more questions like this, please let me know. :) 

Thank-you. The helped greatly! :)

Just now, Patine said:

Thank-you. The helped greatly! :)

You are welcome! :)

Even though I am veering more and more to the centre as time goes on, I do find myself looking at Trump in a positive light.

It may be because I am foreign + enlisted in a military and facing my own troubles at home with stuff Trump seems to be handling well but he hasn't really done anything bad yet, more or less just sitting as a lame duck passing reforms that really aren't making an impact on his public reception.

4 hours ago, wolves said:

with stuff Trump seems to be handling well but he hasn't really done anything bad yet,

If I may ask, what doctored, revised, romanticized, glorified, cinematic, sugar-coated version of the Trump story are you getting over there?

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

If I may ask, what doctored, revised, romanticized, glorified, cinematic, sugar-coated version of the Trump story are you getting over there? 

LOL Just realized this was the wrong thread.

Either way, I don't feel like Trump has done anything catastrophic on the same level as an Iraq war or an Iran-Contra affair

1 hour ago, wolves said:

LOL Just realized this was the wrong thread.

Either way, I don't feel like Trump has done anything catastrophic on the same level as an Iraq war or an Iran-Contra affair

He's more like the bungler, flip-flopper, and obvious out-of-his-league leader with no real leadership qualities and who constantly tries to distract everyone from that fact by making roundabout speeches, Twitter barrages, and suddenly changing focus or gears. He reminds me, in fact, of the eponymous character of the BBC sitcom, "Yes, Prime Minister," just with a much more forceful and assertive presentation to his personality.