Jump to content
270soft Forum
NYrepublican

Memorial day poll

Did your ancestors serve in the US military, if so when?  

16 members have voted

  1. 1. Did your ancestors serve in the US military, if so when?



Recommended Posts

Did your ancestors serve in the US military, if so when?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My great grandather served on the western front between 1944-1945 in an artillery division.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My grandfather served in the navy (I think it was either 1958 - 1963 or 1960 - 1964 because I remember him telling me he was on leave when Kennedy was assassinated) he never saw combat however, unlike your great-grandfather @NYrepublican.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NYrepublican said:

Did your ancestors serve in the US military, if so when?

Not in the U.S. military, no. But my paternal grandfather was a belly gunner in an RAF Wellington Bomber (I have a framed photo of him from around '43 or '44 with three other members of his bomber's crew standing in front of one of the wings on my book, and he left me all of his medals when he passed away in 2003). My cousin was a Major (maybe up to Lieutenant Colonel) in the Canadian Forces who was originally second-in-command of an artillery battery on peacekeeping duty in Bosnia, but later designed drone aircraft, and retired from service several years ago. My great uncle (my paternal grandmother's older brother, whom I've never met, but was only told about by grandfather I'd mentioned above when they discovered he'd passed away while they were trying to inform him of my grandfather's funeral in 1994) apparently served in the joint American-Canadian special operations commando unit "the Devil's Brigade" in WW2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have direct ancestors that served from the earliest colonial wars in Massachusetts through the early Cold War. 1620s-1950s. I might be the first generation in my family tree to not serve in the military in some capacity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grandpa served in Vietnam, and my mother and fathers sides ancestors fought on separate sides in the Civil War.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grandfather served in Vietnam in the USMC. My great grandfather not my grandfather's dad- served in the UK for the US Army during WW2. I believe his dad served in WW1, but not too sure. I am not too proud to say that some fought for the Confederacy. And one of my distant relatives fought in the southern theater of the US war for independence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Grandpa served in Vietnam, and my mother and fathers sides ancestors fought on separate sides in the Civil War.

 

6 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

Grandfather served in Vietnam in the USMC. My great grandfather not my grandfather's dad- served in the UK for the US Army during WW2. I believe his dad served in WW1, but not too sure. I am not too proud to say that some fought for the Confederacy. And one of my distant relatives fought in the southern theater of the US war for independence. 

Talk about generations. You guys have GRANDFATHERS that fought in Vietnam, and one has a GREAT-GRANDFATHER that fought in WW2. My father would have been of draft age for Vietnam had he lived in the U.S. and not Canada, and my grandfather and great uncle, as I said above, were in WW2. You guys make me feel old...

 

Oh, as a note, my grandfather, after his WW2 bomber stint, also trained pilots in the Korean War, and I think he trained a few U.S. pilots as well as Commonwealth ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Patine said:

 

Talk about generations. You guys have GRANDFATHERS that fought in Vietnam, and one has a GREAT-GRANDFATHER that fought in WW2. My father would have been of draft age for Vietnam had he lived in the U.S. and not Canada, and my grandfather and great uncle, as I said above, were in WW2. You guys make me feel old...

 

Oh, as a note, my grandfather, after his WW2 bomber stint, also trained pilots in the Korean War, and I think he trained a few U.S. pilots as well as Commonwealth ones.

Im like 50% sure one of my great grandfathers served in WW2 but im not completely sure so I don't know. One served in Korea for sure though. Almost forgot about him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't remember exactly, but one of my great great grandpas fought as a captain in the war of 1812.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 11:03 AM, NYrepublican said:

Did your ancestors serve in the US military, if so when?

Just as a note, here in Canada we have a direct analog holiday to Memorial Day that basically commemorates the same things (though for Canadian veterans). It's called Remembrance Day (formerly known as Armistice Day). However, instead of a usually warm May long weekend, it's November 11 (regardless of the day of the week), and, especially here in Edmonton, it's almost always a bitterly cold day where we wear parkas, heavy trenchcoats, etc. to watch the parades, speeches, and other proceedings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Patine said:

Just as a note, here in Canada we have a direct analog holiday to Memorial Day that basically commemorates the same things (though for Canadian veterans). It's called Remembrance Day (formerly known as Armistice Day). However, instead of a usually warm May long weekend, it's November 11 (regardless of the day of the week), and, especially here in Edmonton, it's almost always a bitterly cold day where we wear parkas, heavy trenchcoats, etc. to watch the parades, speeches, and other proceedings.

On November 11 in the US we have the same thing called "Veterans Day", also formerly known as Armistice Day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My father and both my grandfathers served in the army.  My grandfather on my mother's side was killed in WWII.  My other grandfather used to tell me stories about his grandfather serving in the civil war (not on the US side).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×