270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Presidential Election Board Game

I forgot if I mentioned this, but I highly recommend this board game on the early presidency. Players starts with Washington and play until the Civil War occurs or is averted. Players attempt to win the presidency. Presidents handle issues by making decisions. It's definitely the best board game involving the presidency. It's called Founding Fathers. There's another game of this name about the Constitutional Convention, which is alright, but this one is better. I'm hoping someone can convert this game to PC at some point. 

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/35423/founding-fathers

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

I forgot if I mentioned this, but I highly recommend this board game on the early presidency. Players starts with Washington and play until the Civil War occurs or is averted. Players attempt to win the presidency. Presidents handle issues by making decisions. It's definitely the best board game involving the presidency. It's called Founding Fathers. There's another game of this name about the Constitutional Convention, which is alright, but this one is better. I'm hoping someone can convert this game to PC at some point. 

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/35423/founding-fathers

I'm digging this. Might have to order when I get paid. Though I currently lack the ability to deliver a proper pc port. 

1 hour ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

I'm digging this. Might have to order when I get paid. Though I currently lack the ability to deliver a proper pc port. 

It's well worth it. The rule book allows for a few variants on how to play, which is nice. I've already bought the two expansions for it as well. 

Thanks for this, I'm probably going to pick this up for the next board game night I have with my friends.

Do the rules and expansion allow for good 4 player play?

29 minutes ago, CalebsParadox said:

Thanks for this, I'm probably going to pick this up for the next board game night I have with my friends.

Yeah. I think it can be up to 6 players, even. I know one of the variants has players start the game as:

Northern Conservatives (Adams, Jay, and two others)

Southern Conservatives (Washington, and others)

Northern Liberals (Franklin, Clinton, and others)

Southern Liberals (Jefferson, Madison, and others)

The game uses Liberals and Conservatives as parties instead of the actual parties, which is kind of odd, but those factions existed within the political parties. 

10 hours ago, CalebsParadox said:

What board games you guys usually play?

22 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

What board games you guys usually play?

We're pretty partial to Risk: Europe, Risk Legacy, (maybe)Pandemic, Axis and Allies, and similar basic games. Three of the four are hardcore into roleplaying (not the cringey kind but staying in character of what you're doing and not meta-gaming) which means that for Founding Fathers it might be somewhat difficult for the final member to really enjoy it. 

22 minutes ago, CalebsParadox said:

We're pretty partial to Risk: Europe, Risk Legacy, Pandemic, Axis and Allies, and similar basic games. Three of the four are hardcore into roleplaying (not the cringey kind but staying in character of what you're doing and not meta-gaming) which means that for Founding Fathers it might be somewhat difficult for the final member to really enjoy it. 

Interesting. Hope y'all have fun. Always been more of a Monopoly boi myself.

15 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Interesting. Hope y'all have fun. Always been more of a Monopoly boi myself.

I'm always down for a good game of Monopoly. As much as it's claimed that Monopoly and Mario Party ruin friendships, those two games are probably the best ones for long nights with casual friends. Luck just plays such a fun role in it all. 

14 hours ago, CalebsParadox said:

We're pretty partial to Risk: Europe, Risk Legacy, (maybe)Pandemic, Axis and Allies, and similar basic games. Three of the four are hardcore into roleplaying (not the cringey kind but staying in character of what you're doing and not meta-gaming) which means that for Founding Fathers it might be somewhat difficult for the final member to really enjoy it. 

I think roleplaying is optional in the Founding Fathers game. You will have a faction of politicians. It's more about political negotiation. The game allows for a lot of negotiations, and it is more than just rolling a die and moving pieces. You have to work with opposing factions, and sometimes ally against a dominant faction. It's pretty cool. I suggest watching the videos because I feel like it is easier to understand the rules if you do that first.  

14 hours ago, CalebsParadox said:

I used to play Axis & Allies, A Line in the Sand, Shogun (later re-issued as Samurai Swords), Star Wars Risk (both the Trilogy and Prequels editions), and a few others, but I now lack the living space to store them and my RL playing partners kind of drifted off, and I ended up selling them to a used games, comics, and collectibles store I used to frequent a lot.

10 hours ago, Patine said:

I used to play Axis & Allies, A Line in the Sand, Shogun (later re-issued as Samurai Swords), Star Wars Risk (both the Trilogy and Prequels editions), and a few others, but I now lack the living space to store them and my RL playing partners kind of drifted off, and I ended up selling them to a used games, comics, and collectibles store I used to frequent a lot.

What games do you typically play now besides PI?

21 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

What games do you typically play now besides PI?

All of the TheorySpark games, actually, including older ones like the 'Forever" games, as well as Civ2, AoE 1-3, AoM, Alpha Centauri, Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds (NOT Battlefronts), Star Wars: Empire at War, Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-earth 2, StarCraft 1, Warcraft 3, Rise of Legends, and (my two significant non-strategy games) World of Warcraft and Rift.

@Sunnymentoaddict @CalebsParadox @ThePotatoWalrus @Patine

Here are some of the cards from the game. There are about 60 political cards (50 in the original, and about 10 more in the expansions). I think I would have bought the game just for the cards. The game is a lot of fun though. It's often a surprise who becomes the president, since death is random, and political events can ruin careers or rise someone to the forefront. 

FFCards.jpg

15 hours ago, Patine said:

All of the TheorySpark games, actually, including older ones like the 'Forever" games, as well as Civ2, AoE 1-3, AoM, Alpha Centauri, Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds (NOT Battlefronts), Star Wars: Empire at War, Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-earth 2, StarCraft 1, Warcraft 3, Rise of Legends, and (my two significant non-strategy games) World of Warcraft and Rift.

I see you don't really play many newer games. Though I could see myself agreeing with that, as many (mostly AAA) companies have become too greedy even for my liking.

16 hours ago, Patine said:

I play Star Wars Battlefront 2 on PS4. I used to play SW BF 1. I only play the flying levels. 

14 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I play Star Wars Battlefront 2 on PS4. I used to play SW BF 1. I only play the flying levels. 

Galactic Battlegrounds is actually COMPLETELY different (and significantly older) than Battlefronts. The names are just so similar, they usually cause confusion.

6 hours ago, vcczar said:

I used to play the shit out of the classic BF2 on my Ps2. You should let me add you on Ps4, but idk if we play the same types of games.

What games do you play? I play Star Wars BF2, GTA5, and grand strategy games like Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Nobunaga's Ambition. I also play a lot of detective games. Overall, I rarely play the PS4 now because I don't have time. 

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

What games do you play? I play Star Wars BF2, GTA5, and grand strategy games like Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Nobunaga's Ambition. I also play a lot of detective games. Overall, I rarely play the PS4 now because I don't have time. 

Right now.

Crusader Kings 2. Victoria 2. Out of the Park Baseball. Empire:Total War. The Sims. Train Simulator. Civ4 & 5. 

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:38 AM, vcczar said:

@Sunnymentoaddict @CalebsParadox @ThePotatoWalrus @Patine

Here are some of the cards from the game. There are about 60 political cards (50 in the original, and about 10 more in the expansions). I think I would have bought the game just for the cards. The game is a lot of fun though. It's often a surprise who becomes the president, since death is random, and political events can ruin careers or rise someone to the forefront. 

FFCards.jpg

What's with the Roman numeral by the hour glass? Does it mean it either comes early, mid, or late game play?

6 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

What's with the Roman numeral by the hour glass? Does it mean it either comes early, mid, or late game play?

Yeah, there are three eras. The number in the bottom left is seniority in age. The oldest remaining people are the most likely to die. The number above the gavel is congressional support. Ability is the skill that they have at handling events/decisions. Popularity is their initial support, since the most popular candidate of any faction will be in play to run for president. Popularity is earned through events/actions/etc.