270soft Forum
MBDemSoc

Personal Attributes of Harold MacMillan

Thought I would give seeing what the community's opinion on what the personal attributes for Harold MacMillan would be a go as he is one of the only if not the only post-war PM not to be in a scenario.

5 minutes ago, MBDemSoc said:

Thought I would give seeing what the community's opinion on what the personal attributes for Harold MacMillan would be a go as he is one of the only if not the only post-war PM not to be in a scenario.

Any thoughts at all would be helpful.

1 hour ago, MBDemSoc said:

Any thoughts at all would be helpful.

Hard to say. Good footage of his speeches that give real insight into that are hard to find. Also, his record is quite mixed. Decolonization (with mixed ultimate results) and keeping Britain out of Vietnam versus his infamous "ninja cabinet shuffle," among others. He seems confident and competent (in a seasoned bureaucrat sort of way), but not very charismatic. I don't know if these observations help at all...

They do my friend, charisma was one of the things I was not too sure on.

As far as post-war PMs go, I'd rate Macmillan above Attlee, Douglas-Home, Heath, Major, Brown and May in charisma terms. In many ways he is quite similar to Cameron - from a well-to-do background, on the centre-left of the Conservative Party and managed to lead the party to a net increase in seats as the governing party. Both were also succeeded by vastly inferior media performers (Douglas-Home in Macmillan's case and May in Cameron's case). 

2 hours ago, RFK/JFKfan said:

As far as post-war PMs go, I'd rate Macmillan above Attlee, Douglas-Home, Heath, Major, Brown and May in charisma terms. In many ways he is quite similar to Cameron - from a well-to-do background, on the centre-left of the Conservative Party and managed to lead the party to a net increase in seats as the governing party. Both were also succeeded by vastly inferior media performers (Douglas-Home in Macmillan's case and May in Cameron's case). 

Assuming that WW2-era Churchill was a 5, what number would you give Macmillan personally?

42 minutes ago, Patine said:

Assuming that WW2-era Churchill was a 5, what number would you give Macmillan personally?

I've looked at the numbers for aforementioned PMs and they all have 2s or 3s so I assume it would have to be a 3 or a 4.

14 hours ago, Patine said:

My ratings for each would be:

Churchill - 5

Attlee - 2 (perhaps 1.5 if possible)

Eden - 3 

Macmillan - 3

Douglas-Home - 1.5

Wilson 3.5/4 (certainly a 4 in 1964)

Heath - 2.5/3 (hardly a charming personality but could speak passionately on his day)

Callaghan - 3.5/4 (underrated in terms of his charisma; very avuncular but wasn't dealt a great hand as PM)

Thatcher - 4

Major - 2/2.5 (slightly higher than one might expect due to his soapbox campaign of 1992; of course it all went downhill after that)

Blair - 4 

Brown - 2 (he can give an excellent speech when he wants to, hence he's not lower)

Cameron - 3/3.5

May - 1.5 

6 hours ago, Patine said:

@MBDemSoc - So, are you actually planning, or even working on, one or more 1960's UK elections?

I was actually thinking of doing an "all-star" scenario first with past PMs in it so I can use the stats from that scenario for other UK Scenarios I plan on creating.

Made some attributes for "Super-Mac" based on some research - 

• Leadership: 3.
  • Experience: 4 or 5.
  • Integrity: 2 or 3.
  • Issue Familiarity: 2 or 3.
  • Charisma: 3 or 4.
  • Stamina: 3.
  • Debating: 3.
  • Ideologue: 2 or 3.
  • Ambition: 3.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:48 PM, Patine said:

@MBDemSoc - So, are you actually planning, or even working on, one or more 1960's UK elections?

Personally, I'd like to see the 1974 elections, as I've been watching A Very English Scandal recently, and I now feel the urge to play as Jeremy Thorpe

4 minutes ago, LegolasRedbard said:

Personally, I'd like to see the 1974 elections, as I've been watching A Very English Scandal recently, and I now feel the urge to play as Jeremy Thorpe

The October 1974 election (but not the February one) has a scenario by the old poster on these forums @EGaffney for PM4E, though not PMI. I could send you a copy if you believe you can do anything with it.

4 minutes ago, Patine said:

The October 1974 election (but not the February one) has a scenario by the old poster on these forums @EGaffney for PM4E, though not PMI. I could send you a copy if you believe you can do anything with it.

That would be great!

1 minute ago, LegolasRedbard said:

That would be great!

Just PM me your email address (or an email address), and I'll send it along.

25 minutes ago, Patine said:

Just PM me your email address (or an email address), and I'll send it along.

done!