270soft Forum

Wow I'm surprised the senate decided to do the right thing for once. 

Holy crap, I didn't think they'd do it! But this is far from over yet!

Absolutely disappointing and a missed opportunity. 99% of the people for net neutrality absolutely do not understand it. The very idea of net neutrality is extremely vague and the consumer will end up paying more either way. Net neutrality doesn't even have a clear definition in the US. What everyone is thinking of are the Title II provisions which created the Open Internet Order of 2015. This means that before 2015, there weren't any of these so-called, "net neutrality" regulations.

I guarantee 90% of you that support it only do so because of the successful media campaign that pushed out all of these shitty infographics that showed net neutrality as the only way to save the internet.

And seriously, you guys will end up paying more either way and probably less without these regulations. Without net neutrality, the ISPs won't charge you more money to use certain services. They will charge companies like Google more for prioritized traffic. The misconception comes that Google could hypothetically begin to charge users money to make up the difference. With net neutrality regulations, there is no clause to say that the ISPs can't charge the consumer directly. You'll end up getting screwed either way, but less so without the net neutrality regulations. Actually try reading what net neutrality is before you decide that it's bad. Seriously. I used to think the same thing before I actually learned what it was.

I don't expect any of you guys to change your opinions based on what I said here, so I encourage you all to do your own research on the topic before deciding "ISPs bad" based on some memes that you've seen that say "muh ISP is gonna block my Netflix and charge me to use every website".

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:06 PM, avatarmushi said:

Still needs to pass the House and Trump, unfortunately.

Considering how the House can't even pass a farm bill, I doubt it will leave the House. 

Still, an impressive first step in effective legislation.

7 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Absolutely disappointing and a missed opportunity. 99% of the people for net neutrality absolutely do not understand it. The very idea of net neutrality is extremely vague and the consumer will end up paying more either way. Net neutrality doesn't even have a clear definition in the US. What everyone is thinking of are the Title II provisions which created the Open Internet Order of 2015. This means that before 2015, there weren't any of these so-called, "net neutrality" regulations.

I guarantee 90% of you that support it only do so because of the successful media campaign that pushed out all of these shitty infographics that showed net neutrality as the only way to save the internet.

And seriously, you guys will end up paying more either way and probably less without these regulations. Without net neutrality, the ISPs won't charge you more money to use certain services. They will charge companies like Google more for prioritized traffic. The misconception comes that Google could hypothetically begin to charge users money to make up the difference. With net neutrality regulations, there is no clause to say that the ISPs can't charge the consumer directly. You'll end up getting screwed either way, but less so without the net neutrality regulations. Actually try reading what net neutrality is before you decide that it's bad. Seriously. I used to think the same thing before I actually learned what it was.

I don't expect any of you guys to change your opinions based on what I said here, so I encourage you all to do your own research on the topic before deciding "ISPs bad" based on some memes that you've seen that say "muh ISP is gonna block my Netflix and charge me to use every website".

I'll tell you what's REALLY making Americans pay more for Internet than say - Canadians - regardless of "net neutrality" laws. The inexplicable exemption to anti-trust laws tolerated in the U.S. for Internet Service Providers. When each ISP has an effective monopoly over all Internet service in a particular region of the country, of prices are going to be high - there's no reason for such corporations allowed to sit in the catbird seat like that not to gouge, and no incentive whatsoever to improve on their infamously bad customer service.

2 hours ago, Patine said:

I'll tell you what's REALLY making Americans pay more for Internet than say - Canadians - regardless of "net neutrality" laws. The inexplicable exemption to anti-trust laws tolerated in the U.S. for Internet Service Providers. When each ISP has an effective monopoly over all Internet service in a particular region of the country, of prices are going to be high - there's no reason for such corporations allowed to sit in the catbird seat like that not to gouge, and no incentive whatsoever to improve on their infamously bad customer service.

I can agree with that. Definitely.