270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

2020 Scenario Update

2020 Election Update  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Will you download this update?

2. 2. Will you post your results if you play through the election?

3. 3. Will you offer advice on the issues and platform stances?

Here's a minor update to the 2020 Scenario:

• I've improved Trump's corruption by 1, since I had it at the highest level. This will revert back only if he start to face trial or conviction for issues regarding corruption and collusion. 
  • Flake has been turned OFF; Only Kasich remains as a challenger. 
  • Numerous Democrats have been turned ON and OFF. I am using the recent Washington Post article for this update to determine which Democrats are likely running. I don't expect as many power players to run, but it makes for an interesting scenario for the time being. 

Here is the update (it will not be posted on the campaign page until a major well-known candidate declares): 

United States - 2020-May2018.zip

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

• I've improved Trump's corruption by 1, since I had it at the highest level. This will revert back only if he start to face trial or conviction for issues regarding corruption and collusion. 
  • Numerous Democrats have been turned ON and OFF. I am using the recent Washington Post article for this update to determine which Democrats are likely running. I don't expect as many power players to run, but it makes for an interesting scenario for the time being. 

Here is the update (it will not be posted on the campaign page until a major well-known candidate declares): 

I will download it, and I will give it a try, but, as I've said, your historical Presidential scenarios are much more interesting to me, and I'm not THAT familiar with a lot of up-and-coming political figures in the U.S. commonly bandied about nowadays.

6 hours ago, vcczar said:

His corruption used to be a 5? What? Why?

Kasich will NOT challenge Trump. I will put money on this.

Not sure what the WP says but I can almost guarantee Kennedy will run, and Biden won't.

5 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

His corruption used to be a 5? What? Why?

Kasich will NOT challenge Trump. I will put money on this.

Not sure what the WP says but I can almost guarantee Kennedy will run, and Biden won't.

Joe Kennedy? Or is there another Kennedy I'm forgetting? God I hope he doesn't run, he'd be an awful candidate. I don't think he will though, he'll only be 40 and I don't see him running for President before he becomes a Senator.

2 minutes ago, jnewt said:

Joe Kennedy? Or is there another Kennedy I'm forgetting? God I hope he doesn't run, he'd be an awful candidate. I don't think he will though, he'll only be 40 and I don't see him running for President before he becomes a Senator.

Yeah. And by that logic he'll still be more likely to run than Kasich, who is TERM LIMITED and not running for another office.

2 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Yeah. And by that logic he'll still be more likely to run than Kasich, who is TERM LIMITED and not running for another office.

Well I'm not sure how that applies to Kasich since he's already been a governor, is much much older than Kennedy, and, like you said, is not running for another office, so he would essentially have nothing to lose. If Kennedy ran he'd be putting his seat in the House in jeopardy. Plus, no Kennedy has ever ran for President without being a Senator first. Not to mention he's already dismissed the idea of running (though, admittedly, that hasn't stopped people in the past).

12 hours ago, jnewt said:

Well I'm not sure how that applies to Kasich since he's already been a governor, is much much older than Kennedy, and, like you said, is not running for another office, so he would essentially have nothing to lose. If Kennedy ran he'd be putting his seat in the House in jeopardy. Plus, no Kennedy has ever ran for President without being a Senator first. Not to mention he's already dismissed the idea of running (though, admittedly, that hasn't stopped people in the past).

I was about to say the same thing. I think if Kasich runs, he knows he's on the right side of history by not aligning with Trump. He might not care if he wins, since he will come out favorably in history books. I bet you in 20 years people in Ohio will see Kasich as a beacon of reason in a rather troubling period. I'd say the same for Flake, who I think could make a comeback in like 10 years. I expect the Republican demographic to shift away from the crazier parts of Trump populism, but retain the part of Trump's populism that is more universal to most Americans. 

Ohioans hate Kasich. Also nobody really knows who Flake is that don't follow politics religiously like this forum, so I don't think he'll be relevant at all either.

6 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Ohioans hate Kasich. Also nobody really knows who Flake is that don't follow politics religiously like this forum, so I don't think he'll be relevant at all either.

You don't know what you are talking about. Kasich has a 52% approval rating (30% disapproval) as of the last time every governor was polled earlier this year.  That's 22nd in the country, which puts him a little past average. That's definitely not hate. Hated would be a Chris Christie #, which was like about 19% approval. Of the 30% disapproval, most of that is probably from Democrats. If the poll was just Republicans, it would be even higher than 52%. 

Still, not many non political people know who Flake is. I feel like you have a subconscious bias towards Republicans that you like. Not trying to disrespect though. Definitely the best scenario creator on the forum but im trying to provide constructive criticism.

18 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Still, not many non political people know who Flake is. I feel like you have a subconscious bias towards Republicans that you like. Not trying to disrespect though. Definitely the best scenario creator on the forum but im trying to provide constructive criticism.

It's quite likely that Trump and his Presidency, ideology (or lack thereof), rhetoric (what of it is coherent and consistent), populism, and governing and PR style, will, in the long-term, likely be either an anomaly in the U.S. Republican Party and it's standard path and modus operandi (or a moderately altered one) will carry forth after Trump leaves office, or not long thereafter, or the GOP will be gravely wounded in the long-term by his Presidency when his policies' long-term effects become much more apparent and will either fracture, re-structure, re-invent itself, or die and be replaced by a new right-wing party - either way, I think, from my knowledge of political history and trends, not just in the U.S., but in a much broader arena, a lot of what many people think will likely be the impact of American politics of Trump's tenure I don't think will actually happen that way. I'm bringing this up because @vcczar has discussing how Kasich and Flake may be viewed a decade or two down the line for being in-party challengers to Trump, not just how they'll be viewed in 2020 itself.