270soft Forum
Sunnymentoaddict

Political Would you rather?

Political "Would you rather?"  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather be an incumbent Democratic Senator from a state that heavily for Trump in 2016(such as Manchin, or Heitkamp). Or would you rather be a relatively unknown Democratic challenger in a state that Trump did worse than Romney(such Sinema in AZ, or O'Rourke in TX)?

• Incumbent Senator in a strong red state.
    • Reletively unknown Democratic Challenger
  2. 2. If you were to run for Congress as a Democrat, what social movement would you rather align yourself with(If you were forced to choose one)?

• The Parkland shooting kids, and the calls for tighter gun legislation.
    • The #metoo movement.
  3. 3. If you were to run for office as a Democrat, what strategy would you rather employ?

• Appealing to the base(minority voters and white liberals).
    • Appealing to moderate suburban voters whom are not fond of President Trump.

Heavily inspired by a segment  in 538's political podcast, I feel we should have our own "Would you rather"? Questions where we have to make a choice that helps this forum get a feel of what the state of the national(US) political environment. 

On ‎2018‎-‎05‎-‎08 at 1:00 PM, Sunnymentoaddict said:

Heavily inspired by a segment  in 538's political podcast, I feel we should have our own "Would you rather"? Questions where we have to make a choice that helps this forum get a feel of what the state of the national(US) political environment. 

Although I DEFINITELY could not bring myself to run for the engine of greed, hate, hypocrisy, outmoded (and bad) ideas, and self-righteousness that is the Republican Party of the United States since the Reagan Administration marginalized or drove out most of it's last real sensible members (with only a VERY few exceptions), I don't know if I could offer much sincere or strong support for the Democratic Party of the United States, as it currently stands, either, given the real blunders and errors in policy and judgement they've descended so deeply into. The U.S. really NEEDS real viable alternatives to these two parties. I'm really surprised that so many Americans can't see it and are perfectly alright with these two parties screwing them over, lying to them, and failing them election after election, and then crawling back at the ballot box to one of these two parties or another (in the vast majority of cases) for another term of abuse. Rant over.

1. Unknown Dem challenger. Winning the primaries seems easier than winning in an opposing state when ideologies are becoming more and more extreme every day.

2. Parkland. Seems more sensible for a Democrat to support.

3. Appeal to suburban voters. Appealing to just the base and neglecting everything else is how Hillary lost 2016.

7 hours ago, Patine said:

Although I DEFINITELY could not bring myself to run for the engine of greed, hate, hypocrisy, outmoded (and bad) ideas, and self-righteousness that is the Republican Party of the United States since the Reagan Administration marginalized or drove out most of it's last real sensible members (with only a VERY few exceptions), I don't know if I could offer much sincere or strong support for the Democratic Party of the United States, as it currently stands, either, given the real blunders and errors in policy and judgement they've descended so deeply into. The U.S. really NEEDS real viable alternatives to these two parties. I'm really surprised that so many Americans can't see it and are perfectly alright with these two parties screwing them over, lying to them, and failing them election after election, and then crawling back at the ballot box to one of these two parties or another (in the vast majority of cases) for another term of abuse. Rant over.

Fine points made here.

2 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

3. Appeal to suburban voters. Appealing to just the base and neglecting everything else is how Hillary lost 2016.

Trust me Hillary didn't appeal to the base she just, pretty much, said "I'm a woman vote for me, oh and just ignore all the terrible things I did, like pushing for TPP 47 times, voting for the Iraq war, not supporting gay rights until 2013 (and I could go on)" while calling (and this unfortunately still seems to plague the Democratic establishment) everyone who voted for Trump, even the former workers in the rust belt, that Hillary and her husband had sold out, and so voted for the guy that promised (although he lied) to pursue protectionism, racists. 

It's easy

I'm not American but let me give you my opinion

The Democratic Party changes according to decades

If you look at the 1990's broadcast for Bill Clinton you've "Eh, Bill Clinton and Al Gore are news Democrats, in the center unlike the old Democratic Party which is Liberal" (now the new)

The famous period of the Liberal Left (Blair,Shroeder,Clinton, Zapatero Jospin)

And when you look at the match Bill Clinton had in the South, it shows the political differences between the States

I could not live in N.Y. for example, they're too much economically left for me, but I would be pleased in New Hampshire or Colorado even Florida.

It's the concept of having such a huge country like yours, even if the people is the same, the states are often like real states with particularities (more California and Texas than the others but the South has its common codes).

1) I feel being an incumbent Senator will be easier than a challenger. Having said that, I'm not saying it is a surefire way to an electoral victory. But being an incumbent Senator is a sign that the state's Democratic Party network is strong(though declining rapidly in states such as WV and ND). Compare this to a state like Texas, where the Democratic Party is essentially dead once you exit the city limits of: Dallas, Austin, El Paso, and Houston. This year, I'd rather be in Montana than in Texas, because of this alone.

2) Honestly, I'm leaning towards #metoo. Metoo has yet generated any cultural backlash the Parkland Kids have faced, and it will help with my third point. 

3) I'd appeal to moderates in the suburbs whom disapprove of the President. And aligning with #metoo can insure that I won't alienate suburban voters whom hunt on the weekends that I am not attacking their values, but trying to protect their family from sexual assault. 

Having said that, I am a bit surprised at how the more conservative leaning users rather be an incumbent in a red state, while liberal/progressive users want to in a lean red state. 

1.  Given my political beliefs I highly doubt that i'd have any real chance as a red state Democrat, even as an incumbent.

2. I lean more towards Parkland because they're more concretely aligned with legislation(Gun-control). 

3. This would depend more on the state or area, but generally i'd run with the base because i'd probably have trouble appearing moderate.

5 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

3) I'd appeal to moderates in the suburbs whom disapprove of the President. And aligning with #metoo can insure that I won't alienate suburban voters whom hunt on the weekends that I am not attacking their values, but trying to protect their family from sexual assault. 

That's a great point and I didn't realize that until now.

18 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

That's a great point and I didn't realize that until now.

That's part of the reason I picked #metoo myself. It's less alienating for those single issue gun control voters.