270soft Forum
Kingthero

Presidential Growth Campaign

The Status of Gott-Stein (1454)

7th Sconlair: Unnamed Head Councilman (Sconlair can't break constitution by appointing successors)

Popularity: 69%; Worchester remains popular, yet he resigned early so his popularity for his decisions could not be fully assessed.

Cities: Scottsville (1,928)

Rural Dwellers: 19

Island Exploration: 23.6% (+7.9%)

Population: 1,947 (335+125) people. The tradition of rural settling has begun for good.

-Additional Notes: Current immigration policies include land, housing, and later more land.

Economy: Depression; The status of the economy is relatively the same, which for the first time has made people angry. Profitt's shipbuilding initiative this decade has produced ten ships, which replaced all ships damaged by the storm. Worchester's reaction to the storm may have saved the people, but it has curved economic growth.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Electoral Makeup

Electoral System: Council; Thirteen Members are apart of this council, with elections every 5 years. (The electoral makeup in this post will represent after midterm elections.)

-----------------------------------------

Population Values

Independent: 54%

Traditional: 10%

Growth: 17%

Conservative: 19%

No Change

-----------------------------------------

Council (1449-1454)

Independent: 7 One lost seat to become Sconlair, but was replaced by an Independent.

Growth: 2 Kept both seats. (Richard Brown and David Polk)

Traditional: 3 One seat lost to the Independents, but one seat gained from the Conservatives. (Joseph Whittle, and one random guy.)

Conservative: 1 One lost re-election, the seat lost to the Traditional Party (Morgan Daniels)

Little change.

----------------------------------

Active Legislation

B.001: Tie-Breaking policy; Senior Councilman takes over for half a term.

B.002: Jungle Cutting policy; 23 pixels a year.

B.003: Originally thought to have failed, a kind reminder of the Constitution made clear it would have passed. Also, B.005 was a motion to pass B.003, which also passed. B.003 gives incentives to immigrants by giving one pixel of land away per 5025 immigrants.

B.004: For every child past the secondborn that a family raises past the age of five years old, the family will receive increasing tax reliefs and will receive preferential settlement in the newly conquered areas outside of our community. (Even though taxes do not exist)

B.005: A motion to pass B.003, even though a technicality later discovered proved this pointless.

B.006: Amended B.002 to 3 pixels a year.

B.007: The Government will pre-build homes to encourage immigration and growth.

B.008: Cuts B.003's immigrant number from 50 to 25.

B.009: Creates a permanent exploration team.

B.010: All references to taxes will be honored if taxes are ever created.

B.012: There shall exist a voluntary disaster relief fund.

B.013: A Vice-Sconlair, with only the role as a successor, shall be created and put on the electoral ticket of the Sconlair.

Constitution

Article I: The Sconclair
The Sconclair is to be elected head of Gott-Stein, and he shall be the most powerful force in the government. He is elected to 10 year terms with no term limits, and he has the power to introduce legislation into the Council for debate and voting. Not only may he vote on all legislation with three votes, but in the case of a Council vote tie, he shall be the decider with an additional vote. Additionally, the Sconclair is to have a small band of armed warriors to protect him if the need arises, and they shall serve as the first warriors of Gott-Stein. The Sconclair is unable to be booted out of office in any way before the end of his term, and upon his resignation the Senior Councilor will take rulership. 

The Sconclair is to be in charge of foreign affairs, and he has complete control over any warrior bands that are raised. He is to have complete control over trade, and has the power to raise a personal tax.

The Sconclair also has the power to strike down legislation that is passed within the Council, forcing a recast of votes that must equal or surpass 3/4 to take effect. 

Article II: The Council

The Council is a thirteen member body of legislators that has the power to enact city wide legislation changes regarding domestic economy, taxation, and security. The Council is led by the Senior Councilor, who is the representative of the dominant voice in the Council. The Council may not pass any law that limits the reach of authority of the Sconclair. Councilmen are elected to 5 year, renewable terms. The number of councilmen shall increase as seen fit, but shall not increase for a period of (20) years. 

All current Congressional members shall be immediately be declared councilmen, and the remaining five councilmen will be appointed by the Sconclair until the end of his term. 

Article III: Elections

The Sconclair is to be elected every 10 years beginning from the end of the current Sconclair's term, which will prompt a new election. Any landed male may declare candidacy for office, and upon garnering sufficient support will officially enter the ballot. The incumbent Sconclair cannot be barred from the ballot for any reason with the exception of a declination to serve. Upon receiving a plurality of votes, a candidate will be declared Sconclair and take office one month after the date of the election. 

Councilmen are to declare candidacy for a council seat, seats one through thirteen. Upon garnering sufficient support, they may have their name added to one seats election only and upon receiving a plurality of votes will be declared councilman. 

Article IV: Governmental Obligations

The government of Gott-Stein is to provide a foundation for its members to live and thrive. 

Original Post

So I had this idea last night after seeing that all the roleplayers here are not involved in a huge RP, and that only one or two people are in @vcczar's at a time. I've been a part and even hosted RPs on here before, and the main thing that seems to both turn the rp master and the players away from the RP is when things get incoherently complex. Basically, if it starts out complicated, it lacks interest.

Now, my idea: a growing campaign. What would happen is that I create a country, but only the very basic outline of a country, and flop it right in the middle of the atlantic ocean. Don't ask me how it happened, but it happened. The goal of the RP would be players creating their own parties, possibly working together later in the campaign to build a party, and then me simulating elections based on both probability and the current appeal of the country. 

What makes this different? The country is literally a barren wasteland in the beginning, only consisting of the people running for the Presidency. Every term of the Presidency, the President gets to introduce or change 3 new ideas to the country. For example, the first president can introduce taxes, a military, and housing ideas, while the next President can add more ideas like healthcare, etc.

The goal is that after a few terms, this roleplay will turn into a fully functioning country where players take sides on key issues to form this country. The limitations?

1. It must stay a democracy; removing elections would end the point of the roleplay.

2. Don't be unreasonably hostile to others or to the status of the RP.

Now, joining is simple: just give a name, maybe a background, run as an independent or create a party. Since there is no policy or people in this barren country, the way you will be elected is by pure luck. 

As soon as four people join I will start the first election, and you guys will get the first taste of how the RP will go. The goal is to be simple, and grow to a complexity that everyone can understand.

11 hours ago, Kingthero said:

So I had this idea last night after seeing that all the roleplayers here are not involved in a huge RP, and that only one or two people are in @vcczar's at a time. I've been a part and even hosted RPs on here before, and the main thing that seems to both turn the rp master and the players away from the RP is when things get incoherently complex. Basically, if it starts out complicated, it lacks interest.

Now, my idea: a growing campaign. What would happen is that I create a country, but only the very basic outline of a country, and flop it right in the middle of the atlantic ocean. Don't ask me how it happened, but it happened. The goal of the RP would be players creating their own parties, possibly working together later in the campaign to build a party, and then me simulating elections based on both probability and the current appeal of the country. 

What makes this different? The country is literally a barren wasteland in the beginning, only consisting of the people running for the Presidency. Every term of the Presidency, the President gets to introduce or change 3 new ideas to the country. For example, the first president can introduce taxes, a military, and housing ideas, while the next President can add more ideas like healthcare, etc.

The goal is that after a few terms, this roleplay will turn into a fully functioning country where players take sides on key issues to form this country. The limitations?

1. It must stay a democracy; removing elections would end the point of the roleplay.

2. Don't be unreasonably hostile to others or to the status of the RP.

Now, joining is simple: just give a name, maybe a background, run as an independent or create a party. Since there is no policy or people in this barren country, the way you will be elected is by pure luck. 

As soon as four people join I will start the first election, and you guys will get the first taste of how the RP will go. The goal is to be simple, and grow to a complexity that everyone can understand.

Sound interesting, I'd join.

I would be interested.

Scott Sinclair creates the Conservative Party. 

He is from a rich family and believes that he knows what people need. He wants to preserve the current status (okay there is absolutely nothing lol) and tries to act reasonable and rational.

William Scott creates The Growth Party dedicated to growing the country, in multiple ways. @Kingthero

The three candidates have finally reached the island via ship, and have a very brief and perhaps very wrong outline of the isle. 

The landing point is up to whomever wins the election. Gods throws one hundred rocks of three colors on the ship, and determines by plurality who will choose the starting point.

Sinclair: 35

Jones: 30

Scott: 35

By random Godly powers, Sinclair and Scott tie. The two men argue and Jones @Illinois Moderate must choose the first leader of the people from the two fighting men. Once chosen, I will give the leader three RP decisions and then he will create three of his own policies.

Starting Map.png

@WVProgressive As the first "leader" of this "country", there are three main decisions you must make followed by three policies you will institute on your own.

Decision 1: Where on the island will you land? What will the landing point "city" be called? How will you explore the island? How will you populate your "city"? What will the "country" be called?

Decision 2: What form of "democracy" will the new Government be based on? What will the leader be called? How often are elections? Will there be representatives? Unicameral or Bicameral, or maybe something else?

Decision 3: What will you do to form the economy? How will your country start making money in order to be run successfully?

Follow these decisions by three policy points you want to introduce.

3 hours ago, Kingthero said:

Decision 3: What will you do to form the economy? How will your country start making money in order to be run successfully?

We could sell those god rocks for a start, this'll give us enough money to industrialize hopefully.

Decision 2: What form of "democracy" will the new Government be based on? What will the leader be called? How often are elections? Will there be representatives? Unicameral or Bicameral, or maybe something else?

The leader will be called the Sconlair in recognition of the three founders, elections will be every 18 months, with a Unicameral house.

Decision 1: Where on the island will you land? What will the landing point "city" be called? How will you explore the island? How will you populate your "city"? What will the "country" be called?

The city shall be called Scottsville and the country will be called Gott-Stein. We'll populate our city by offering a new life, a second chance, and adventure to people. We'll map the island by sending an expedition around the island. (red dot is the landing)

5ae6676c0be21_StartingMap.thumb.png.d1cc029cc852682ee63dec1fe364218d.png.8dc9ddd55b0564ab4df1fc48c7becb3a.png

How's this @Kingthero?

3 hours ago, WVProgressive said:

The leader will be called the Sconlair in recognition of the three founders, elections will be every 18 months, with a Unicameral house.

The city shall be called Scottsville and the country will be called Gott-Stein. We'll populate our city by offering a new life, a second chance, and adventure to people. We'll map the island by sending an expedition around the island. (red dot is the landing)

5ae6676c0be21_StartingMap.thumb.png.d1cc029cc852682ee63dec1fe364218d.png.8dc9ddd55b0564ab4df1fc48c7becb3a.png

How's this @Kingthero?

I approve; very nicely done. One thing though; an expedition around the island can be done either by man or ship, so for this sake I'll roll a 50/50. Also, now that you have implemented a unicameral house if you win another term you'll be able to set districts. Now I need your three policy points you want to create. The God rocks will be a nice starter budget as typical peoples will classify them as an antique (full value later). 

When I say later note that I will, just like in VCCzar's campaign, post a current country status at the end of your term before the election. I, however, will make sure to keep the very first post up to date with that status so its easy to join in. 

Another note; for the sake of this RP we are starting in 1400 AD, many years before colonization and should give enough time to form a stronger country to face the europeans. The technology will be considered Western (sort of like an Atlantis theory), however we trade with the North Americans as of right now.

25 minutes ago, Kingthero said:

I approve; very nicely done. One thing though; an expedition around the island can be done either by man or ship, so for this sake I'll roll a 50/50. Also, now that you have implemented a unicameral house if you win another term you'll be able to set districts. Now I need your three policy points you want to create. The God rocks will be a nice starter budget as typical peoples will classify them as an antique (full value later). 

When I say later note that I will, just like in VCCzar's campaign, post a current country status at the end of your term before the election. I, however, will make sure to keep the very first post up to date with that status so its easy to join in. 

Another note; for the sake of this RP we are starting in 1400 AD, many years before colonization and should give enough time to form a stronger country to face the europeans. The technology will be considered Western (sort of like an Atlantis theory), however we trade with the North Americans as of right now.

Alright then for my three policy points I'd implement:

1: A homestead like offer offering free moderately sized pieces of land to encourage immigration.

2: Establish very clear rules for elections; one man means one vote regardless of wealth 

3: Use, to the fullest of our ability, the natural resources we have been blessed with on our island

@Kingthero

(I fear I'm not the best at medieval politicking :P)

The Status of Gott-Stein

1st Sconlair (President, for those catching up): William Scott of the Growth Party

Popularity: William Scott personally has a popularity of 50%, which is quite high in regards to the poor status of the country right now. This is mainly due to Scott's character. However, his party does not fare well, as its promises of Growth have obviously come short. Benefited from Decision 2# & 3# and Policy 2#. Loss from all the others.

Cities: Scottsville (12)

Island Exploration: .4%

-Additional Info: It has been discovered that they have landed in a Jungle, which may inhibit potential growth in the future.

Population: 12 people. They all decided to stay in the city as there is not enough people present to risk buying pieces of land abroad. Reaction to Policy 1#

Economy: Very Poor; the rocks barely made any money, and the resources from the jungle can hardly be harvested with as few people that exist. Reaction to Decision 3# and Policy 3#.

Electoral Makeup

Independent: 100%

Growth: 0%

Conservative: 0%

Market: 0%

It has been decided there is not enough people for a Unicameral Legislature for this election.

Election of June 1401 AD

@WVProgressive @Conservative Elector 2 @Illinois Moderate

It is time to state candidacies. This time you are going to go all out political on what currently exists of this country, decisions made, and policies in existence. The country is in a state of utter disappointment at the Growth party, so all twelve people remain independent (not including you all). 

Will Scott hold his seat with his character, or will his opponents take advantage of the status of the country to gain power?

Note: Election results will happen 48 hours after this post, or when all people interested in running post their candidate and campaign. If anyone wants to join, you may join as well.

Additional note: The RNG factor utterly demolished @WVProgressive's term, as it really killed literally everything attempted.

Gott-Stein 1401.png

James Jones announces his campaign platform: "The previous administration has been a disappointment, as much as I personally like our Sconlair, he has been utterly disastrous at promoting the growth needed to sustain this country. First off, the creation of a city in the jungle has made everything else much more difficult, and in addition, the stones that could have been put to use for projects to help our citizens were sold for a small amount of money that the people have yet to seen help them. In my administration, the economy would grow dramatically as that would be my focus and the country would see the growth that the Growth party failed to deliver."

William Scott runs for another term says things will get better

I have a new plan the rock idea sucked I know, but what if we use the jungle. We could market ourselves as the Gott-Stein jungle adventure and make a killing on tourism. We need to find better lands, I mean jungle can't last forever that's when homesteading will really kick in. We can still use the jungle, there's trees exotic furs Europe would and the Americas would buy we just need to figure out how to harvest it.  I've made mistakes, yes I admit that, but I've leaned, I've learned and I promise on my life things will get better. But if you're still not  convinced at least vote for Jones at least he's promising something.

@Sami You should totally join in on this one; saw you left the last one.

Mr. Sinclair is announcing another run to become Sconlair! His Conservative Party stands for keeping the status quo, for a just and safe society and the willingness to take certain measures in order to retain what we have achieved. Most importantly we also want to grow our lands and our economy by using our potential in the jungle.

Election of June 1401 AD Results

William Scott: 4

James Jones: 6

Scott Sinclair: 2

With a plurality, James Jones becomes Sconlair!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Decisions for the 2nd Sconlair,James Jones@Illinois Moderate 

Decision 1#: Due to unknown circumstances, probably due to a series of terrible storms and poor communication, immigration has been obviously very low. What will the new Sconlair do to encourage immigration?

Decision 2#: William Scott started to develop a fair system for elections, including methods to block corruption, a unicameral legislation, and 18-month terms. What will the new Sconlair do to build on or change the election system?

Decision 3#: The jungle has been a hot topic ever since it was discovered that the city was planted right on the edge of a jungle. What will the Sconlair's policy towards this jungle be in regards to both the economy and the future of the country?

Remember to add/change 3 of your own policies after making these decisions!

52 minutes ago, Kingthero said:

Decision 1#: Due to unknown circumstances, probably due to a series of terrible storms and poor communication, immigration has been obviously very low. What will the new Sconlair do to encourage immigration?

Decision 2#: William Scott started to develop a fair system for elections, including methods to block corruption, a unicameral legislation, and 18-month terms. What will the new Sconlair do to build on or change the election system?

Decision 3#: The jungle has been a hot topic ever since it was discovered that the city was planted right on the edge of a jungle. What will the Sconlair's policy towards this jungle be in regards to both the economy and the future of the country?

OOC: What about outside nations?

55 minutes ago, Patine said:

OOC: What about outside nations?

This is something I am going to toy with later; I put the RP back in 1400 to allow for the ability of exploration and things, but in that position so that foreign affairs becomes increasingly relevant after the country is developed. It'll be fantasy based, but some real world events in europe etc. should still play apart somehow

5 hours ago, Kingthero said:

@Sami You should totally join in on this one; saw you left the last one.

OOC: To be fair I'm really interested by your concept :P

But I never played fictionnal political RP (they were all quite historic)

As soon as I ended the rush of my exams I keep you informed!

11 minutes ago, Kingthero said:

This is something I am going to toy with later; I put the RP back in 1400 to allow for the ability of exploration and things, but in that position so that foreign affairs becomes increasingly relevant after the country is developed. It'll be fantasy based, but some real world events in europe etc. should still play apart somehow

OOC: Can I be a blood-thirsty, loot-crazed Moroccan corsair who invades the northern part of the island by sea? :P

Just kidding...

2 hours ago, Kingthero said:

1.  To encourage immigration, Gott-Stein will increase the plots of land for all immigrants to own, depending on how many people they bring to stay on the island. 2. The new Sconlair will put in place a plan to move the government to a bicameral legislation using a Mixed Member proportional system with the member being of a higher chamber and the party vote being the lower chamber. In addition, the member elections will be ranked choice. 3. The jungle will be cut down to fuel the growth of the country. Own policies: 1. The exploration of the continent in search of a place for a better capital city. 2. The building of ships for trade. 3. The regulation of a currency called the Jonescoin regulated by the Sconlair.