270soft Forum
Kingthero

Presidential Growth Campaign

The Status of Gott-Stein (1414)

4th Sconlair: Elijah Blackman of the Traditional Party

Popularity: 41%; Blackman's term was seen very mixed; while people appreciated his common sense, real approach to the law by forming the constitution, many feel like he is taking way too much power.

Cities: Scottsville (574) (18+11)

-Additional Info: Births now count towards the population, represented by the third number per city. Immigration was only eighteen people, which for a growing nation is seen as very poor over a decade period.

Island Exploration: 13.2%

-Additional Info: The explorers have discovered an average amount of territory.

Population: 574 people. There are rumors that some families may soon prepare to move into the recently cut down jungle, though no action has still been done.

-Additional Info: Immigration is no longer promoted by any means, which severely stunts the growth of this new nation.

Economy: Depression; As the economy has been re-classified, the nation is seemingly in a depression rather than just dirt poor, even though they are, in fact, dirt poor. Blackman's economic policy changes did throw stability in the sense of barter and currency, but did little to promote any economic growth. While some people praise him for stabilizing the economic system, a majority are upset that the economy is still in shambles.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Electoral Makeup

Electoral System: Council; Thirteen Members are apart of this council, with elections every 5 years. (The electoral makeup in this post will represent after midterm elections.)

-----------------------------------------

Population Values

Independent: 73%

Growth:3%

Market: 5%

Traditional: 8%

Conservative: 11%

The People have begun to think that every single party to come out of the making have not been strong, and therefore Independent candidates have gotten a status almost greater than that of party folk.

Council

Independent: 3 An independent is the Senior Councilman

Growth: 1

Market: 0

Traditional: 7 Inflated due to the appointees by the Sconlair

Conservative: 2

Election of June 1414 AD

@WVProgressive @Conservative Elector 2 @Illinois Moderate@CalebsParadox

It is time to state candidacies. The country is seemingly against parties recently, and would favor an Independent candidate run. To win over the population in this election, the candidates must appeal to a population that increasingly feels alienated by the Sconlair.

Will Blackman hold his office, or will his opponents push for a platform appealing to the alienation of the population?

Note: Election results will happen 48 hours after this post, or when all people interested in running post their candidate and campaign. If anyone wants to join, you may join as well.

Additional note: The RNG factor greatly disfavored @CalebsParadox, but RNG also decided not to punish him as bad.

Blackman announces second Sconclair bid!

Elijah Blackman announces that he will be running for another term as the Sconclair, this time for the first ten year term. 

"We will be continuing our deconstruction of previous Sconclair's disastrous policies, and our reshuffling of the economy has provided a level of stability that our settlement needs. There is great sacrifices that have been made to promote eventual economic success and stability, and I as your Sconclair am prepared to make them. I fully intend to push for greater trade with the neighboring settlements. With our economy finally stable and on the rise, we can make efforts to build homes for and clear the jungle on the governmental budget. In this way, we can encourage growth and immigration while maintaining a not dysfunctional economy.

I, Elijah Blackman, pledge to bring the economy to levels higher than it has ever seen before if I am elected to another term. We will see our small settlement expanded past borders ever thought possible, and we shall thrive without the upheaval that was forced to accompany the past decade. I spent the entirety of my term undoing the mistakes of my predecessors, and I fully intend to make this term about improving the lives of each and every citizen. Thank you all for your time and I encourage you all to make the right decision for the future of Gott-Stein. Vote for a leader who is not afraid to do what must be done. 

Jones Johnson runs for Sconclair for the Market Party, "This country had never seen as much growth as it did under the Market Party. We agree socially with the current Sconclair, however his economic policies have stunted the economy and he has grabbed too much power for himself, acting like a king that the founders had come here to escape. Under my administration, we would keep  the social policies and focus on the people, we will give back some of the power he has taken to the council, and we will focus on growth to raise this country from this depression. Now is the time when we need to rally around those that have experience in solving these problems, we've seen massive growth before and we will again. Vote Market, vote for recovery!"

Growth Party again endorses Market Party for Sconclair deciding to focus on council elections.

10 hours ago, Illinois Moderate said:

Jones Johnson thanks the Growth Party for their endorsement and offers an olive branch to the Conservative Party to not run candidates against them in the council.

The Conservative Party also endorses the Market Party for this election.

10 hours ago, WVProgressive said:

Growth Party again endorses Market Party for Sconclair deciding to focus on council elections.

Election of June 1414 AD Results

Jones Johnson (Market & Growth & Conservative): 50%

Elijah Blackman (Traditional): 50%

With a tie, and no provision to solve a tie, the Senior Councilman takes office.

Note: Blackman entered the election at a disadvantage in both popularity and in party support of the other candidate. In a surprise twist, he managed to tie the vote, resulting in something that has already been seen once in this nation.

---------------------------------------------------------

Decisions for the 5th Sconlair, John Profitt @Kingthero

Decision 1#: The recent tie in the last election showed a true split in the people. How will you deal with ties in the future, and how will you make your leadership legitimate?

Decision 2#: While the economy is now a stable system, it is still in a depression. What steps will you take to lead the economy to growth? 

Decision 3#: Radical change has been apart of this new nation for many years. How will you address this change, and how will you make sure that your own changes aren't radical?

Remember to add/change 3 of your own policies after making these decisions!

Electoral Makeup

Electoral System: Council; Thirteen Members are apart of this council, with elections every 5 years. (The electoral makeup in this post will represent after midterm elections.)

Population Values

Independent: 77%

Growth:2%

Market: 4%

Traditional: 7%

Conservative: 10%

The rise of an Independent as the Sconlair after a split election rises the people's trust of independents, hopeful that they will lead their nation to success.

Council

Independent: 5 One was appointed by the former Senior Councilman upon his rise to the Sconlairship. Also, an Independent still holds Senior Councilman.

Traditional: 6

Conservative: 1

Note: Incumbents have a higher chance of being re-elected, which is why the Traditional party still has a high presence within the council.

Decision 1: I plan on proposing a solution to the tie where the senior councilman does take power in the event of a tie, but only for five years until the usual midterm election where the Presidency will be up for vote again for a ten year term. The legislation will be the first of its kind, and I will call all legislation bills with the short initial B. 000. The first bill I propose will be to initiate the tie policy, and it will be B.001. This will be the first piece of legislation the council has to pass. For the sake of this RP, the player in control of the party which a councilman is apart of can delegate votes. Independents can be whipped by me only if I am the Sconlair. Otherwise, their votes are random. I have faith in the people that they will see my leadership as legitimate, and my warrior band can easily protect me from any assassination attempts of so attempted.

Decision 2: The earlier plan with building ships was one of our most successful economic goods, and I will restart that trend by ordering the completion of one jungle-wood ship a year to trade or be used to trade with other nations. These ships are to be of fine quality, and hopefully both the production and sale of these ships will lead to a greater economy.

Decision 3: Radical changes have taken this country on a roller-coaster. I am implementing very simple policies that will grow our nation without the need to be radical.

Policy 1: I am restarting the jungle cutting initiative, but limiting it to 2 'pixels' a year. As I don't have the authority to do this anymore, this will be presented to the council as B.002.

Policy 2: I hereby return immigration incentives back to the nation. I am giving away one pixel of land per group of fifty people that apply for the land. This territory shall be located in the cleared land around the city, and will be distinguished by a separate color on the map. This will be thrown to the council as B.003. 

Policy 3: I hereby call back the explorers to the city. There is much hostile land outside of our jungle, and instead of trying to find better in the hell outside of this jungle we must accommodate to what we live in now. As this was not defined by any legislation, I have the right to call them back, and I call it Foreign Affairs.

Council Vote

B.001: 5-0-0

B.002: 5-0-0

B.003: 5-0-0

@WVProgressive @Conservative Elector 2 @CalebsParadox You must vote on this legislation with your councilmen. 

Note: The RP will not continue until 24 hours after a majority decision is reached or all people have voted. You can Yea, Abstain, or Nay.

Jones Johnson praises the Sconclair saying, "He has done a wonderful job, proposing many of the policies at the heart of the Market Party's platform. In addition, he has avoided the tyrannical grasp for power that certain Sconclairs used to solidify their power, artificially adding their supporters to positions they were not elected for."

Arthur Webley, new leader of the Growth Party and their only seat in the council, votes Yea on all bills.

The Traditionalists are urged to vote aye on B.001, B.002 and nay on B.003. 

Yea on 1 and 2

Nay on 3

@Kingthero

Scott Sinclair steps down as Leader of the Conservative Party. Deputy Leader William Worcester becomes the new leader of the party.

The Status of Gott-Stein (1424)

5th Sconlair: John Profitt (Independent)

Popularity: 51%; The People respect Profitt for his stable leadership, but are disappointed that the economy still has not grown. However, things have not gotten worse, which comes to many as a sign of hope.

Cities: Scottsville (688) (98+16)

Island Exploration: 13.2%

-Additional Info: The explorers have returned home.

Population: 688 people. There are rumors that some families may soon prepare to move into the recently cut down jungle, though have died down.

-Additional Info: Immigration, while not promoted, surged under Profitt's term. Births were below average, however.

Economy: Depression; The status of the economy is relatively the same, and Profitt's shipbuilding initiative only produced two ships, which should be used to be models for shipbuilders to hopefully replicate faster. However, they both fell apart in the water and a new design must be sought out.

Electoral Makeup

Population Values

Independent: 78%

Growth:3%

Traditional: 6%

Conservative: 9%

The People are enraged at the Conservative and Traditional Parties for Failing B.003, which affects their current standings.

Council (1419-1424)

Independent: 5 An Independent still holds Senior Councilman.

Traditional: 6

RNG saved the Traditional and Conservative parties.

Election of June 1424 AD

@WVProgressive @Conservative Elector 2 @Illinois Moderate@CalebsParadox

It is time to state candidacies. The country is stable, and is in favor of the current Sconlair. Due to this popularity, Profitt will run again, but it can be a decently even race.

Will Profitt hold his office, or will his opponents push for a creative platform to hopefully promote economic growth?

Note: Election results will happen 48 hours after this post, or when all people interested in running post their candidate and campaign. If anyone wants to join, you may join as well.

Additional note: The RNG factor was mixed; it did good on immigration and promoting the Sconlair and demoting his opponents, but the economy rolls were awful.

Worcester and his Conservative Party launch a bid to become the new Sconlair. 

Our principles are:

- explore the island to find more valuable resources 

- build more ships to generate trade and economic growth

- cut down more jungle areas to promote settling there

- encourage a rise to the birth rate

- encourage immigration

- keeping the system of presenting bills to the represented parties in order to make the best decisions for the people of Gott-Stein

2 minutes ago, Illinois Moderate said:

The Market Party endorses Worcester for Sconclair and focuses on electing a few members to the council.

William Worcester thanks the Market Party for the Endorsement and says that he hopes to provide the solutions Gott-Stein needs together with both the Traditional and the Growth Party as well as with the current Sconlair.

The Traditional Party fully endorses Councilor Worcester for the office of Sinclair, declining to run another official candidate as Sinclair Blackman's health is rapidly declining. 

The current Traditional councilmen are led by Blackman Jr, the 34 year old son of former Sinclair Elijah Blackman. All resources will be dumped into maintaining control of the council, and we ask that the Conservative Party endorse us for the seats for which we have incumbents in return for our Sinclair endorsement. 

Arthur Webley runs or Sconlair promising to redouble efforts on B. 003, expand the economy through diversification, and enhancing national pride. 

Election of June 1424 AD Results

John Profitt (Independent): 32%

William Worchester (Conservative & Market & Traditional): 38%

Arthur Webley (Growth): 30%

By receiving a slim plurality, Worchester becomes the new Sconlair! (You finally made it in!)

Note: Worchester entered the race at an advantage due to the endorsements, while Webley took an unusual amount of votes from Profitt even though Profitt had an incumbency advantage and Webley had a weak start.

Decisions for the 6th Sconlair, William Worchester @Conservative Elector 2

Decision 1#: Birth rates have previously gone unaddressed in Gott-Stein. How will you address the birth rates, as one of your campaign promises was to raise them?

Decision 2#: The people are upset that you broke the tie against B.003, even though one of your campaign promises was to encourage immigration. How will you address this so you don't become a hypocrite?

Decision 3#: The parties are some of the most poorly organized groups of people, some people even calling them "political slaughterhouses". How will you address this issue, and specifically what makes your party different than the others?

Remember to add/change 3 of your own policies after making these decisions!

Electoral Makeup

Electoral System: Council; Thirteen Members are apart of this council, with elections every 5 years.

Population Values

Independent: 78%

Growth:6%

Traditional: 5%

Conservative: 7%

The Growth party unironically sees some growth after being the one party to stand up for B.003, a highly popular bill that the Traditional and Conservative parties blocked.

Council (1424-1429)

Independent: 8 An Independent still holds Senior Councilman.

Growth: 0

Traditional: 4

The high Independent population loves to election Independents, so every time an incumbent party member loses an incumbency roll, Independents usually win. However, by a very slim chance, the Conservative candidate lost the election but another Conservative candidate took his place. Also note that since I am no longer in control, Independent councilpeople vote on things arbitrarily now.

Also a friendly reminder that the more effort you all put behind party politics and candidate positions, the more likely you are to be elected. A lot of you all tend to stick towards the middle of the imaginary probability curve because you rarely go outside the box. Caleb landslided an election by going above and beyond.

Gott-Stein 1424.png

Elijah Blackman Jr. Introduces  B.004, encouraging larger family sizes!

Traditional party leader and the leading voice of the highest ranking party on the Council has today announced that he plans to make the focus of his party's Councilmen to dramatically increase the birth rate of Gott-Stein, and that the party will be voting in favor of any and all measures that will support a sustainable increase in the population as long as they are met with suitable precautions against the chaos of an unpoliced and unregulated population. 

Eli Jr, who stood outside the semicircle pulpit used by the Council to hold public hearings and votes, was surrounded by the other three Traditional Party Councilmen, who all have already given their stamp of approval on the legislation and had their part in crafting it. 

"Today, I present to the citizens of Gott-Stein a resolution to our economic woes and to our miniscule population. While the Traditional Party stands for stability and for reason, we also recognize the necessity for the country to continue to grow, prosper, and thrive, and to do so we must grow internally. I propose that for each child past the secondborn that a family raises past the age of five years old, the family will receive increasing tax reliefs and will receive preferential settlement in the newly conquered areas outside of our community.

This resolution should encourage a much higher level of growth than immigration or further exploration of the jungle can currently provide, and we believe that this is the best route to achieving prosperity and economic stability for each and every citizen of Gott-Stein."

Profiles of Traditional Party Councilmen

Elijah Blackman, Sr (1369-1425)
Party affiliations: Traditional Party
Focuses: Economic stability, reversing former Sconclair's policies, and internal growth
Held Positions: Councilman, 4th Sconclair, Party Head
Biography: Blackman is the founder of the Traditional Party, and one of the earliest members of Gott-Stein. He hunted wildlife for the majority of his life, and stayed relatively politically inactive until he founded the Traditional Party in 1403. He found that many shared his grumblings of discontent with the former Sconclair's and their ridiculous policies, and vowed to reverse their changes in favor of what had worked best in the smaller communities he has lived in throughout his life, with less focus on fancy materials and more on what works: natural resources. He was the primary founder of the constitution of Gott-Stein, which he pushed to be named the Blackman Document but was overruled by drafting convention. His term as Sconclair is often described as worse than his predecessors socially and economically, and he is faulted for leaving no attention to foreign affairs or further exploration of the island. He grew suddenly ill in 1422 and stepped down as party leader, and passed away in 1425.
Goals: Blackman's goals were primarily to reverse the legacy of his predecessors, and to do away with the awful Jonescoin policies. He wanted to draft a governing document that provided for near unlimited power to the Sconclair, and while he is viewed as a demagogue he accomplished the bulk of his policy goals. 

Elijah Blackman, Jr (1390-???)
Party affiliations: Traditional Party
Focuses: Internal growth, birth rates, constitutional amendments process
Held Positions: Councilman, Party Head
Biography: Elijah Blackman Jr, or Eli Jr as he has dubbed himself publicly, is the spitting image of his father appearance wise and very similar policy wise. While he spent around a decade as a hunter as his father had taught him to do, he eventually made his way into party politics in the midterm elections of 1419, when he replaced a sitting Traditional Councilman on the ballot who had stepped down due to health concerns. As the son of the former Sconclair, he started with immense influence within his party and on the Council, and he has only saw fit to increase his influence to a level of control higher than that of his fathers. 
Goals:  Eli Jr aspires to become Sconclair of Gott-Stein, just as his father did. 

Joseph Whittle (1379-???)
Party affiliations: Traditional
Focuses: Internal growth, fur production, trade
Held Positions: Councilman, former ambassador
Biography: Whittle is an one of the surviving appointees of Sconclair Blackman Sr. from the creation of the Constitution that gave Blackman the ability to designate several new Councilmen. Whittle is one of the wealthiest members of the Council, and controls a large stake of the fur industry of Gott-Stein. He was one of Blackman's closest advisors on economic policy, and is credited for pushing Blackman to add fur friendly legislation to his campaign platform. He was the trade ambassador to the communities that Gott-Stein traded with during Blackman's sconclairship. 
Goals: Whittle intends to increase the influence of the fur industry and the extent of foreign trade as much as possible, while excluding new immigrants and deeper settlement of the jungle, which he views as wasteful. 

David Brown (1363-???)
Party affiliations: Traditional
Focuses: Internal growth, isolation
Held Positions: Councilman
Biography: Brown is another surviving appointee from Blackman, and he was the leading voice against B.003 that caused the party to fail the bill. He is incredibly isolationist, and believes very strictly in a superiority of Gott-Stein citizens over that of immigrants, despite being an immigrant to the country himself in his formulative years. He is unlikely to survive another election. 
Goals:  Browns seeks to limit immigration and to increase the number of Gott-Stein citizens through an increased birth rate. 

Michael Myers (1394-???)
Party affiliations: Growth, and then Traditional
Focuses: Internal growth, Immigration, jungle exploration
Held Positions: Councilman
Biography: Myers is the Traditional appointee to the seat left vacant by Elijah Blackman's death. He is very young, but worked very diligently as a young child to further the Growth Party's influence during its peak years and during Sconclair Jones' term. He left the party during the Sconclairship of Blackman Sr, and was the lone Traditionalist voice pushing for the ratification of B.003 on the Council. He has been adamant that the Traditional Party should take a stronger initiative to encourage immigration and exploration, as he sees that as the sole downfall of Blackman Sr. 
Goals: To provide further incentives for immigration to Gott-Stein and to explore the Jungle further.