270soft Forum
Kingthero

Presidential Growth Campaign

The Status of Gott-Stein (1402)

2nd Sconlair: James Jones of the Market Party

Popularity: 40%, which while he is shooting the country in a somewhat prosperous direction, many claim he challenged multiple "common laws" during his decisions regarding jungle cutting, currency creation, and radical electoral changes. Also, some people consider the original explorer's deaths his fault.

-Additional Info: Immigration is promoted by both providing moderate-sized plots for sale, and lets those who bring additional immigrants have the ability to buy even more land.

Cities: Scottsville (284)

Island Exploration: .6%

-Additional Info: It seems Jones's push for exploration caused the explorers to perish due to fatigue, and new explorers hardly made additional progress.

Population: 284 people. For now, they reside in the city, but as soon as the jungle clears they plan to take advantage of the open plots.

Economy: Very Poor; It will take a long time to develop the means of transporting lumber across the sea, which seems to be the main source of profit as of right now. Shipbuilding however is working, as the jungle wood makes for solid ships. However, no new ships have been created yet. Additionally, the Jonescoin has been an utter failure so far due to the outrageous inflation, and people remain dominate in using the barter system.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Electoral Makeup

Electoral System: Bicameral; The higher chamber of a ranked choice member, and the lower chamber of a party.

-----------------------------------------

Population Values

Independent: 89%

Growth: 2%

Conservative: 3%

Market: 6%

The market party attracted a wave of new people, while those hesitant stayed independent with a few joining the Conservatives and Growth. A special election happened to seat the new houses.

Upper House

3 members; all Independents.

Lower House

5 members; 2 market, 2 conservative, 1 growth.

Election of December 1402 AD

@WVProgressive @Conservative Elector 2 @Illinois Moderate

It is time to state candidacies. The country is more in disgust of Jones rather than his party, which grew considerably with the good of Jones.

Will Jones hold his office, or will his opponents push for a platform opposing some of his poor decisions?

Note: Election results will happen 48 hours after this post, or when all people interested in running post their candidate and campaign. If anyone wants to join, you may join as well.

Additional note: The RNG factor favored @Illinois Moderate's term, but his decisions inflicted much harm to his popularity.

Gott-Stein 1402.png

James Jones has decided to step down and let his son Jonathon Jones run. Jonathon announced his platform stating, "My father had some great ideas that propelled this nation to further growth and set us on the direction to prosperity, however he made some unfortunate mistakes. I will carry on much of his policies that have provided good outcomes, but we will find a better way for exploration in my administration, make sure the cutting down of the jungle is regulated by our legislators, and we will semi-tie the Jonescoin to resources to restrict the run away inflation that we unfortunately have seen. While my father may have blundered in some aspects, that doesn't mean we can't push further the plans that have been proven successful."

James Jones issues statement saying, "To all the supporters of the Market Party, don't forget to put the Growth Party as your second choice. We may disagree with them on some issues, but we appreciate their similar dedication to the expansion of this country and while the policies that they pushed when they were the Sconlair ultimately weren't as effective as ours, their leader is one fine person."

William Scott announces he's making another run for Sconlair. Scott presents a plan he calls TED

Tight money policy to combat this terrible runaway inflation.

Exploration. once we have some ships we should use this to inspect the bay coast (the part that looks like a hammer head)

Diversification of our economy. right now we are relaying too much on tropical wood we should also focus on the animals who inhabit the island so we can use their furs feathers and other such parts.

This plan that my supporters and I have crafted will help us. TrusTED ladies and gentle men ( I couldn't resist :P). I'd also like to thank the Market party for their choice 2 endorsement they have a lot of good ideas, and I genuinely hope we can be great Government partners.

Jonathon Jones releases his 3 point plan to accelerate growth focusing on keeping the Jonescoin flexible while adding a counterbalance to solve hyper-inflation, increasing the amount of immigrants, and providing a way of immediate cash by selling the ships made with superior wood to the European and American nations.

Mr. Sinclair will lead his Conservative Party into the election. The main issue his campaign is focusing on, is encouraging immigration in order to achieve growth and wealth. His plan aims for providing all immigrants with free jungle wood, so they can build their homes for themselves.

Election of December 1402 AD Results

Jonathon Jones: 20%

William Scott: 50%

Scott Sinclair: 30%

These look so rounded but trust me this is just luck...

With a plurality, William Scott becomes Sconlair!

Decisions will come at a later time

Decisions for the 3rd Sconlair,William Scott @WVProgressive

Decision 1#: Recently, Jones Sr. built upon your immigration plan. Do you accept his changes, or desire to create a new strategy?

Decision 2#: Jones Sr. also changed up your electoral system. Additionally, there is no law making them binding to any degree. Do you have any changes to the electoral system, and will you begin to make the assembly binding?

Decision 3#: Yet again, the jungle. Jones Sr. ordered the mass cuttage of Jungle wood for the economy and for land. Will you continue these mass cuttings, or will you push for some regulations, the first of their kind?

Remember to add/change 3 of your own policies after making these decisions!

9 minutes ago, Kingthero said:

Decision 1#: Recently, Jones Sr. built upon your immigration plan. Do you accept his changes, or desire to create a new strategy?

Decision 2#: Jones Sr. also changed up your electoral system. Additionally, there is no law making them binding to any degree. Do you have any changes to the electoral system, and will you begin to make the assembly binding?

Decision 3#: Yet again, the jungle. Jones Sr. ordered the mass cuttage of Jungle wood for the economy and for land. Will you continue these mass cuttings, or will you push for some regulations, the first of their kind?

This all seems fine to me.

As for my three decisions.

1. Establish a tight monetary policy to reign in inflation.

2. Send out a sea expedition to explore Hammer Head Bay.

3. I wan't to diversify our economy but first we need to send a research team to see what fauna we'll be dealing with. Afterwords we can give rewards to hunters who turn animal resources in to the government for trade, perhaps a percentage of the profit.

The Status of Gott-Stein (1404)

3rd Sconlair: William Scott of the Growth Party

Popularity: 42%; Scott has done a seemingly equivalent policy direction as Jones Sr., which comes to the dismay of many Scott supporters. 

-Additional Info: Immigration is promoted by both providing moderate-sized plots for sale, and lets those who bring additional immigrants have the ability to buy even more land.

Cities: Scottsville (545)

Island Exploration: 8.9%

-Additional Info: It comes as a shock to many how efficient Scott's explorers have explored. This also means the map will be published a bit late, perhaps when results are given.

Population: 545 people. There are rumors that some families may soon prepare to move into the recently cut down jungle.

Economy: Crippling Poor; Two new ships have been built, however due to the actions of the Jones Sr. administration they will be sold to a group of North Americans called the Creek. This may or may not return economic growth. Also, Scott's inflation measures have ultimately failed, resulting in both the abandonment of the Jonescoin and the creation of a rebellion of two people. Due to the lack of any military forces, these two people successfully dumped all produced Jonescoin into the ocean, resulting in the downgrade of the economy and the forced removal of the Jonescoin currency. However, the research expedition has successfully begun, with reports to soon arrive.

Electoral Makeup

Electoral System: Bicameral; The higher chamber of a ranked choice member, and the lower chamber of a party.

Population Values

Independent: 87%

Growth: 1%

Market: 5%

Conservative: 7%

The crash of the economy leads to the Conservative Party gaining hesitant members from all over. It seems that the population has little chance to re-election a Growth, or even a Market candidate. Also, the electorate is beginning to feel enraged at the complete irrelevancy of the assembly, and has hope that the Conservative Party can keep a status quo and secure the loose ends of the previous administrations.

Upper House

Lower House

5 members; 1 market, 3 conservative, 1 growth.

Election of June 1404 AD

@WVProgressive @Conservative Elector 2 @Illinois Moderate

It is time to state candidacies. The country is done with the Growth Party and its candidates,and is beginning to become hostile over the Market party due to their close affiliation with the Growth Party.

Will Scott hold his office, or will his opponents push for a platform opposing some of his poor decisions?

Note: Election results will happen 48 hours after this post, or when all people interested in running post their candidate and campaign. If anyone wants to join, you may join as well.

Additional note: The RNG factor both favored and unfavored @WVProgressive's term, but the economic crash surrounded any good in this administration.

Mr. Sinclair announces to participate in the election.

''What we need here in Gott-Stein is a change. A dramatic change and a subsequent new start. With both the Growth and the Market Party this change will not be possible. Both parties have become the establishment in our failed government, and so I call you on to vote for the only which stands for change. The Conservative Party. We promote term-limits so a Sconlair cannot become a ruler for life. Currently we think 4 terms are enough to shape the country in an efficient way. We would like to see election every 24 months instead of 18 months because of the high administrative obstacles and to give the Sconlair a fair chance to work long enough. We also plan to expand both the Upper and Lower House in order to increase its importance. Our Sconlairs ignored the people's voice for too long. In addition we propose establishing a Supreme Court who's justices are appointed by the Sconlair for Life time in order to make that our rules are obeyed by anyone even the Sconlair. In order to help the poor economy we want settler on our islands who will be provided with free jungle wood, so they can build their own homes. We encourage them to move to the recently cut down jungle. We will continue to build ships and we would like to see the first men enlisting to our navy and army which will be soon established. It would be a good idea for our healthy society, if every man could a basic knowledge of military actions, so we have a lot of militia potential if we are attacked one day. Currently I do not see much that folks and I am really afraid about Gott-Stein's future. If you are worried as well, please consider voting for the Conservative Party, we will not let you down. Thank you very much.''

Jack Johnson, the new Market Party leader, announces, "For a party that previously campaigned on the status quo, I am shocked to see the Conservatives campaigning for a change in the system. I am also outraged that it is so clearly designed to give them an advantage that would carry for decades. His seeking to create a Supreme Court which likely would only be appointed by him and serve for life is a vain attempt to extend his influence much further than his term limits, while not giving the same opportunity to the future Sconlairs! If I were elected, my Supreme Court would be voted by the people, and have the same term limits as those of the Sconlairs and members of the houses. In addition, I would know best how to solve this recession, being the only candidate with a knowledge of economics! I would also continue the exploration that had been so successful under our previous Sconlair, while solving the problems that have so outraged you."

Elijah Blackman Announces Candidacy Under the Traditional Party

"Gott-Stein has, from it's very inception, been a small and disorganized community ruled over by inefficient and unintelligent leaders. We have introduced ideas that are simply unfeasible for a community of our scale, and revolutionaries have attempted to drive the community into the ground. I would propose that we return closer to the roots of our budding village and organize a small scale local government before we begin the empire building that all other candidates are attempting to do. 

We do not need an elaborate bicameral legislature to be instituted in our village, all that is required is a council of 12 members that are voted into the office concurrently with the Sconclair. These twelve members are to be responsible for matters of taxation, legislation, and required community participation of small village sponsored events. 

These changes would require the drafting of an official Gott-Stein constitution, which I would invite all former Scoclairs and the current council members to begin drafting so that we may for the first time have an actual binding legislative and government. 

We do not need to invest heavily into gold rocks or fancy trinkets. Looking towards our Creek trading partners and many of those in the area surrounding ourselves, we must instead focus our economy on natural resources that have actual value to the peoples around us for trade. We are to focus on fruits, pelts, meats, and agricultural products. These are not only far more valuable in trade than any of our previous expeditions, but they shall also serve to grow the size of our community. 

I would propose that we do away completely with any notion of a standing army or navy as we are not even close to the level that would deem it necessary. All members of our community are strong and healthy, and capable of bringing down an animal or the like. We do not have to fear invasion by land or by sea. 

Gott-Stein has moved past the ideas of revolutionaries, and it is time that we return to a sense of community and normalcy. By bringing ourselves back to the basics of village building, we shall thrive and provide a better and more prosperous life for our people."

Blackman Responds to Conservative Member Sinclair's Policy Proposals

Sinclair, despite being a member of the Conservative Party, is perhaps the largest revolutionary of them all. He proposes not only an unnecessary term limit and a change in the term length, but further expansion of the already ignored bicameral Congress. Additionally, while we have need for trials, that is all that we need. There is no need for a Supreme Court of any sort, and that notion is ridiculous. We are a community of under 600 inhabitants, and all that we need is for a central building for trials to be set within behind a council of his peers. 

Additionally, he proposes that we create a standing army that would be unnecessary for a nation such as ours. We are strong, able bodied men, and any threat of invasion can be handled by our population. We hunt, we work, and we train to survive, a caste of warriors would be no good and be pointless expenditure. 

We also have no need to provide lumber and other materials to potential settlers. Our economy is struggling as it is. We just do not have the money to support such an expenditure, and under my rulership I will see that there is no frivolous spending until my population is taken care of. You have all struggled in desperate conditions for over a decade, and it is imperative that we improve our economy before we throw money into the wind again as Sinclair proposes. 

Sinclair responds to the people: “To be conservative does not mean to hold onto a system which failed for years already. Being conservative has a future. To maintain a status quo we need to build a working society first. In regards to the Supreme Court, we could agree on the justices being voted into office and to impose the same term limits as for our Sconlair. The Bicameral parliament was ignored for too long and therefore it became unnecessary. With the Conservatives in power this will stop immediately. In response to Mr. Blackman’s statement I have to say that we could not even take care of just two men who were able to dumb all Jonescoin into the ocean. We desperately need a military training for our citizens. Do we have a police? Who is prepared to guard us from an uprising? If the economy will remain so bad I would not be surprised when we wake up in the midst of a rebellion one day, without anyone here to take care of that. Vote Conservative if you believe in our future and if you want to have certain rules which will guarentee us a safer and more just society. Thank you!”

Mr Sinclair supports the creation of a Constitution and his Conservative Party will vote for one to be created in the Assembly. 

William Scott announces run for Upper House and Endorses Jack Johnson for Sconlair.

Election of June 1404 AD Results

Scott Sinclair (Conservative): 24%

Jack Johnson (Market & Growth): 16%

Elijah Blackman (Traditional): 60%

With a plurality, Elijah Blackman becomes Sconlair!

Note: I am truly amazed at how this election went... I was originally going into today thinking the Conservatives had it easy, but with the grassroots uprising of Blackman, he truly captured the will of the People.

---------------------------------------------------------

Decisions for the 4th Sconlair, Elijah Blackman @CalebsParadox

Decision 1#: Your campaign was based a great deal on common sense, realistic practices and outlooks for a small population. Your strongest point among the people was proposing a Constitution. How will you write it out, and how will the new electoral system go along with it, especially dealing with the incumbents in the current assembly.

Decision 2#: The economy is in obvious turmoil. The open question is how will you immediately address the economy so that any future changes can actually be made?

Decision 3#: The recent rebellion of a meager two people has put worry into your population about having absolutely no police forces. Will you institute any sort of policing to make sure your Governmental affairs do not get trampled on in the future?

---------------------------------------------------------

Electoral Makeup

Population Values

Independent: 79%

Market: 4%

Conservative: 8%

Traditional: 9%

The Grassroots support of the Traditional Party attracted a reasonable portion of the Independents, while the other three parties stagnated.

Note I will be doing electoral makeup alongside the election results now as that makes sense unless the system changes that.

Upper House

3 members; all Independents. (As the upper house has been dominated by unhappy Independents along with supporters of those people, both party candidates lost the election.)

Lower House

5 members; 0 market, 2 conservative, 1 growth, 2 traditional.

Gott-Stein 1404.png

OOC: This is unexpected to swing this way so quickly! I apologize for the delay in my first terms actions, I fully intend to have it all posted tonight. 

On 5/3/2018 at 6:27 PM, Kingthero said:

Decision 1#: Your campaign was based a great deal on common sense, realistic practices and outlooks for a small population. Your strongest point among the people was proposing a Constitution. How will you write it out, and how will the new electoral system go along with it, especially dealing with the incumbents in the current assembly.

The new Constitution will be drafted by current Congressional members, former Sconclairs, and myself. As we don't really have the time nor motivation to really collaborate on this together, this is a skeleton version of the Constitution. 

Article I: The Sconclair
The Sconclair is to be elected head of Gott-Stein, and he shall be the most powerful force in the government. He is elected to 10 year terms with no term limits, and he has the power to introduce legislation into the Council for debate and voting. Not only may he vote on all legislation with three votes, but in the case of a Council vote tie, he shall be the decider with an additional vote. Additionally, the Sconclair is to have a small band of armed warriors to protect him if the need arises, and they shall serve as the first warriors of Gott-Stein. The Sconclair is unable to be booted out of office in any way before the end of his term, and upon his resignation the Senior Councilor will take rulership. 

The Sconclair is to be in charge of foreign affairs, and he has complete control over any warrior bands that are raised. He is to have complete control over trade, and has the power to raise a personal tax.

The Sconclair also has the power to strike down legislation that is passed within the Council, forcing a recast of votes that must equal or surpass 3/4 to take effect. 

Article II: The Council

The Council is a thirteen member body of legislators that has the power to enact city wide legislation changes regarding domestic economy, taxation, and security. The Council is led by the Senior Councilor, who is the representative of the dominant voice in the Council. The Council may not pass any law that limits the reach of authority of the Sconclair. Councilmen are elected to 5 year, renewable terms. The number of councilmen shall increase as seen fit, but shall not increase for a period of (20) years. 

All current Congressional members shall be immediately be declared councilmen, and the remaining five councilmen will be appointed by the Sconclair until the end of his term. 

Article III: Elections

The Sconclair is to be elected every 10 years beginning from the end of the current Sconclair's term, which will prompt a new election. Any landed male may declare candidacy for office, and upon garnering sufficient support will officially enter the ballot. The incumbent Sconclair cannot be barred from the ballot for any reason with the exception of a declination to serve. Upon receiving a plurality of votes, a candidate will be declared Sconclair and take office one month after the date of the election. 

Councilmen are to declare candidacy for a council seat, seats one through thirteen. Upon garnering sufficient support, they may have their name added to one seats election only and upon receiving a plurality of votes will be declared councilman. 

Article IV: Governmental Obligations

The government of Gott-Stein is to provide a foundation for its members to live and thrive. 

Decision 2#: The economy is in obvious turmoil. The open question is how will you immediately address the economy so that any future changes can actually be made?

With the new constitution, the Sconclair has the immediate power to handle all trade and to propose and enforce domestic law. We shall remove all incentives for the productions of past administrations, and instead provide limited use of caravans and ships to those wishing to trade to neighboring communities meats, furs, agricultural products, wool, and lumber from the jungle. 

Our aim is to build up the economy from the ground up, and for our village to thrive on a local scale while producing resources that are useful not only for trade but also for our own livelihood and expansion.  

Decision 3#: The recent rebellion of a meager two people has put worry into your population about having absolutely no police forces. Will you institute any sort of policing to make sure your Governmental affairs do not get trampled on in the future?

With the establishment of the Sconclair's Guard, we can expect somewhere around 15 members of on alert members to be able to respond to calls of distress and rebellion if need be. These members shall be paid for their service, but as it is not their primary occupation it will not be a draining expenditure. With a small community, there is no need for a strong police buildup. 

Decision 1: Providing incentives for those selling lumber may quicken the pace of the jungle settlement, but that is not a concern of our administration. We will send an expedition to search for further natural resources and points of settlement but will not make any move for stronger settlement with governmental assistance during this term. We hope for the people to make that move on their own. 

Decision 2: We will be establishing a volunteer force of around 15 men, who are not full time and will respond to the Sconclair's orders and requests for assistance only. They will be paid for their service but it will be a small amount in relation to their limited use at this time. 

Decision 3: All former Sconclairs are invited to the Constitution crafting conference and are able to make one change each, as long as it does not impact the ultimate power of the Sconclair. (To RP members, this means that you can change one part of the constitution if you want to, but you do not have to. Just try to get your response in by the end of the day)

I will be delaying the results until the next day.

I also suggest working out the contradiction between the 8 year terms and the ten year elections.

13 minutes ago, Kingthero said:

I will be delaying the results until the next day.

I also suggest working out the contradiction between the 8 year terms and the ten year elections.

My apologies, it was meant to be 10 year terms. Fixed.

I'm going to assume that the other RPers have no complaints over the proposed constitution. 

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 11:35 AM, Kingthero said:

The Status of Gott-Stein (1404)

3rd Sconlair: William Scott of the Growth Party

Popularity: 42%; Scott has done a seemingly equivalent policy direction as Jones Sr., which comes to the dismay of many Scott supporters. 

Cities: Scottsville (545)

Island Exploration: 8.9%

-Additional Info: It comes as a shock to many how efficient Scott's explorers have explored. This also means the map will be published a bit late, perhaps when results are given.

Population: 545 people. There are rumors that some families may soon prepare to move into the recently cut down jungle.

Economy: Crippling Poor; Two new ships have been built, however due to the actions of the Jones Sr. administration they will be sold to a group of North Americans called the Creek. This may or may not return economic growth. Also, Scott's inflation measures have ultimately failed, resulting in both the abandonment of the Jonescoin and the creation of a rebellion of two people. Due to the lack of any military forces, these two people successfully dumped all produced Jonescoin into the ocean, resulting in the downgrade of the economy and the forced removal of the Jonescoin currency. However, the research expedition has successfully begun, with reports to soon arrive.

Electoral Makeup

Population Values

Independent: 87%

Market: 5%

Conservative: 7%

The crash of the economy leads to the Conservative Party gaining hesitant members from all over. It seems that the population has little chance to re-election a Growth, or even a Market candidate. Also, the electorate is beginning to feel enraged at the complete irrelevancy of the assembly, and has hope that the Conservative Party can keep a status quo and secure the loose ends of the previous administrations.

Upper House

Lower House

5 members; 1 market, 3 conservative, 1 growth.

----------------------------------

Original Post

So I had this idea last night after seeing that all the roleplayers here are not involved in a huge RP, and that only one or two people are in @vcczar's at a time. I've been a part and even hosted RPs on here before, and the main thing that seems to both turn the rp master and the players away from the RP is when things get incoherently complex. Basically, if it starts out complicated, it lacks interest.

Now, my idea: a growing campaign. What would happen is that I create a country, but only the very basic outline of a country, and flop it right in the middle of the atlantic ocean. Don't ask me how it happened, but it happened. The goal of the RP would be players creating their own parties, possibly working together later in the campaign to build a party, and then me simulating elections based on both probability and the current appeal of the country. 

What makes this different? The country is literally a barren wasteland in the beginning, only consisting of the people running for the Presidency. Every term of the Presidency, the President gets to introduce or change 3 new ideas to the country. For example, the first president can introduce taxes, a military, and housing ideas, while the next President can add more ideas like healthcare, etc.

The goal is that after a few terms, this roleplay will turn into a fully functioning country where players take sides on key issues to form this country. The limitations?

1. It must stay a democracy; removing elections would end the point of the roleplay.

2. Don't be unreasonably hostile to others or to the status of the RP.

Now, joining is simple: just give a name, maybe a background, run as an independent or create a party. Since there is no policy or people in this barren country, the way you will be elected is by pure luck. 

As soon as four people join I will start the first election, and you guys will get the first taste of how the RP will go. The goal is to be simple, and grow to a complexity that everyone can understand.

Hmm sounds interesting.