270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sami

2010: The True Cleggmania

I think I had enough to work

It's probably my best 2010 ever result xD

Capture.PNG.991c03025eefebfd97fc81f52aeecadf.PNG

Without any cheat or cash in more.

I just took all medias, launched an attack against Cameron along the campain then added Brown at -19.

And then a pro Clegg at D-4.

I also took fundraisings everyday.

All main rulers are defeated excepted Brown who is among the 38 red survivors ^^.

wow what an outcome

Something like 75% of the parliamentary seats on just over two-fifths of the popular vote, and around one-quarter of those on the electoral register. Somehow I think the Lib Dems would drop their support for electoral reform after a result like that. 

12 minutes ago, RFK/JFKfan said:

Something like 75% of the parliamentary seats on just over two-fifths of the popular vote, and around one-quarter of those on the electoral register. Somehow I think the Lib Dems would drop their support for electoral reform after a result like that. 

I don't think a Canadian Federal government with an absolute majority of seats in one party has had over 50% of the popular vote since Mulroney in 1984, MAYBE even Diefenbaker 1958. That's FPTP for you...

Indeed!

The FPTP can be surprising for clegg in my scenario but not so.

Look at Cameron 2015, 37% of votes and 50,5% of the parliament.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:30 PM, Sami said:

I think I had enough to work

It's probably my best 2010 ever result xD

Capture.PNG.991c03025eefebfd97fc81f52aeecadf.PNG

Without any cheat or cash in more.

I just took all medias, launched an attack against Cameron along the campain then added Brown at -19.

And then a pro Clegg at D-4.

I also took fundraisings everyday.

All main rulers are defeated excepted Brown who is among the 38 red survivors ^^.

If there's ever an excuse for electoral reform, this is the election. Also, what riding was your worst turnout?

1 hour ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

If there's ever an excuse for electoral reform, this is the election. Also, what riding was your worst turnout?

On one hand, PR is definetly a fairer way to conduct elections. On the other hand, in the UK we don't generally have coalitions (before the Coalition Government in 2010, the last we had was during the Second World War) and it feels more comfortable to have a majority government. Also, under First Past the Post, there is more of a say for voters on who they want as their MP, instead of voting for a party.

3 hours ago, LegolasRedbard said:

On one hand, PR is definetly a fairer way to conduct elections. On the other hand, in the UK we don't generally have coalitions (before the Coalition Government in 2010, the last we had was during the Second World War) and it feels more comfortable to have a majority government. Also, under First Past the Post, there is more of a say for voters on who they want as their MP, instead of voting for a party.

It's the same in Canada. In fact, coalition governments are so much aberrant to the Canadian political mindset that Paul Martin's minority government of 2004-2006 and Stephen Harper's two minority governments of 2006-2011 decided to, in lieu of formal coalitions, to try to curry the vote of at least one of the three opposition parties in a Commons at those times to support each bill on an individual basis - a tactic going back, in Canadian political legacy, to Lester B. Pearson's two minority governments of 1963-1968 and Pierre Eliot Trudeau single minority government of 1972-1974 (all his other governments were majorities), and that was also the plan that Joe Clark was intending to run on in his minority government of 1979-1980, but P.E. Trudeau brought him down in a vote of no confidence pretty early on. In this case, I'm stating objective facts and not inserting my personal opinion on the issue (which is very complex) here.

5 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

I do not remember but I know that there were some little CON GAINS other Labour because of the split of the votes in seats where the lib were far beyong both ^^

My worst scores should be around 25% in some eurosceptic countrysides

My best probably around 70 to 80%.

I think Clegg had 71% in Sheffield Hallam.

16 hours ago, LegolasRedbard said:

I think a fair compromise is the German model. MMP. You get a local representative and a member that represent the ideological make up of the state. No reason to strategically vote one party(you sort of agree with) to insure the opposing party(which you hate) doesn't  get the seat. 

1 hour ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

I think a fair compromise is the German model. MMP. You get a local representative and a member that represent the ideological make up of the state. No reason to strategically vote one party(you sort of agree with) to insure the opposing party(which you hate) doesn't  get the seat. 

That's what we have in the elections for the devolved parliament in Scotland and the Welsh Assembly

1 hour ago, LegolasRedbard said:

That's what we have in the elections for the devolved parliament in Scotland and the Welsh Assembly

The Canadian Province of British Columbia had a plan to adopt the STV system used in the Republic of Ireland's Dail Eireann for it's Legislative Assembly a number of years ago, but those plans seem to have largely fizzled out...

8 hours ago, Patine said:

The Canadian Province of British Columbia had a plan to adopt the STV system used in the Republic of Ireland's Dail Eireann for it's Legislative Assembly a number of years ago, but those plans seem to have largely fizzled out...

Didn't Trudeau promise to reform the Canadian electorial system, yet said system gave him a majority with only 1/3 of the vote? 

11 minutes ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

Didn't Trudeau promise to reform the Canadian electorial system, yet said system gave him a majority with only 1/3 of the vote? 

Indeed. Suspiciously, he fell silent on the election reform issue after taking power... :S

29 minutes ago, Patine said:

Indeed. Suspiciously, he fell silent on the election reform issue after taking power... :S

The answer is:

1280px-Opinion_polling_during_the_pre-campaign_period_of_43rd_Canadian_federal_election.svg.png

33 minutes ago, Sami said:

The answer is:

1280px-Opinion_polling_during_the_pre-campaign_period_of_43rd_Canadian_federal_election.svg.png

@Patine, what caused the NDP to fall dramatically in the polls last minute?