270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tjones324

Scaling Money

I'm working on a campaign for a local city council race and I was wondering if someone could explain the best way to go about scaling the money down to make it into realistic amounts. Any help is much, much appreciated.

26 minutes ago, tjones324 said:

I'm working on a campaign for a local city council race and I was wondering if someone could explain the best way to go about scaling the money down to make it into realistic amounts. Any help is much, much appreciated.

I'm afraid to say here. there's no clear, universal formula. The year, polity, specific currency, amount of money that typically goes through the given races, and advertising and fundraising laws and opportunities in the polity in question combine to create a huge web of variables it would take a calculus professor to make a formula for. I hate to say it, but you'll have to estimate, and then fine tune it through trial and error. :(

Oh I have a good idea from pulling up the campaign finance filings about how much money I want. I'm asking about what I need to edit in the game to reduce the amount of money earned from fundraising and the cost of activities and ads, that sort of thing. Basically I'm asking how to take the research I've done for this scenario and put it into the campaign I'm creating so I don't have million dollar local races.

7 hours ago, tjones324 said:

Oh I have a good idea from pulling up the campaign finance filings about how much money I want. I'm asking about what I need to edit in the game to reduce the amount of money earned from fundraising and the cost of activities and ads, that sort of thing. Basically I'm asking how to take the research I've done for this scenario and put it into the campaign I'm creating so I don't have million dollar local races.

There is a fundraising value that's separate from the value of the money itself, which is in the scenario.xml file, if I recall. There's also a separate ad.xml file, where the costs of the ad types  can be edited. I believe those still require you to open up and edit the .xml files manually, as they, and a few other knick-knacks (like the currency symbol itself, or who appoints the leader in case of a lack of majority of the seats - the last one strictly for PMI, but as another good example) that still require manual editing in the .xml files and can't be edited in the in-game editor.

2 minutes ago, tjones324 said:

So I would just edit those values in the xml and then test it until I get something that seems right?

Exactly.