270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
elljawa

How do I get good? (President Infinity)

I've played this game a bit and really like it. However, I am still struggling to get good enough to play on medium or hard difficulties, or playing as non front runners really at all. My current strategy is to barnstorm 3 times in one day in a state, do some issue knowledge/debate prep as well, then the next day in the same state to hold 3 rallies on separate issues, or 2 and a issue speech. Sometimes, also using this time to blast the state's front runner. I try to build up a good base of nationwide radio ads, start running in states where I have good momentum, and then doing TV ads closer to the election/primaries/etc.  In addition, I try to target/org strength/footsoldiers in close and large states. 

However, I am having issues understanding why I do some of these things, and what their specific effects are. I would love to know what other's strategies are, what balance they strike in various activities with their candidates. 

6 hours ago, elljawa said:

I've played this game a bit and really like it. However, I am still struggling to get good enough to play on medium or hard difficulties, or playing as non front runners really at all. My current strategy is to barnstorm 3 times in one day in a state, do some issue knowledge/debate prep as well, then the next day in the same state to hold 3 rallies on separate issues, or 2 and a issue speech. Sometimes, also using this time to blast the state's front runner. I try to build up a good base of nationwide radio ads, start running in states where I have good momentum, and then doing TV ads closer to the election/primaries/etc.  In addition, I try to target/org strength/footsoldiers in close and large states. 

However, I am having issues understanding why I do some of these things, and what their specific effects are. I would love to know what other's strategies are, what balance they strike in various activities with their candidates. 

One thing that I didn't realize at first was that rally's power in a state is largely based on your momentum in a state. So in states that I have neutral or positive momentum I usually barnstorm once or twice and rally twice, while in states with negative momentum I try to use ads, barnstorming, and speeches to try to swing momentum back. At the select leader screen you can hover over the attribute icons for info on what each one impacts, and, although they are mostly the same for each leader, also see the campaign attributes which can be upgraded especially during the primaries. One thing I always try to do is when, prepping for the debates, look at my opponent's debate and info familiarity scores. If they aren't doing much prep and their scores have decayed below mine I'll switch my debate focus from me to them and go on the offensive, possibly giving them the "X Debate Gaffe/Disaster" headline. Another thing to pay attention to with ads and speeches is individual states' policy stances so that you don't end up accidentally promoting your pro choice stance in Georgia, or free trade in California. I'd also say that one of the most important things that docent really stand out at first is your theme. It will not only give bonuses to your ads and other campaign activities with those topics but also help generate headlines with those topics.