TheMiddlePolitical

Won my cities Democrat Party council seat

I'm only 18 so it's a start eh? 

*city's

How many people are on the council?

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

*city's

I was going to make a much more professional *and spellchecked* Post but the excitement barred me,and that's something I may ask you, So in the city itself there are 9 wards, but then we have a North Union and South Union for example,and they have 4 each,Does it go by the counties seats or your cities? 

We have an abundance of boroughs in our county I live in Fayette county PA (Southwest PA)

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

*city's

As far as I've gathered, a "city" in the U.S. is any settlement granted a city charter by it's State government, usually, in modern times, requiring at least 2500 inhabitants when the charter is granted, with no accounting for drop in population later (Forsythe, in Montana, is a good example here, having been a prosperous boom town when granted a city charter, but now a sleepy hamlet of less than 2000 people, but keeping it's charter). In Alberta, where I live, as an alternative example, a settlement isn't considered a city until their population hits 10 000, and could be reconsidered for that status, if it dropped below 10 000.

Just now, Patine said:

As far as I've gathered, a "city" in the U.S. is any settlement granted a city charter by it's State government, usually, in modern times, requiring at least 2500 inhabitants when the charter is granted, with no accounting for drop in population later (Forsythe, in Montana, is a good example here, having been a prosperous boom town when granted a city charter, but now a sleepy hamlet of less than 2000 people, but keeping it's charter). In Alberta, where I live, as an alternative example, a settlement isn't considered a city until their population hits 10 000, and could be reconsidered for that status, if it dropped below 10 000.

In my City (not including its outer boroughs) has 36000 residents 

5 minutes ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

In my City (not including its outer boroughs) has 36000 residents 

Does Pennsylvania use the word "borough" like the Greater London Area in the U.K. does - that is, urban communities in tight-knit suburban relationship with a larger urban area?

Just now, Patine said:

Does Pennsylvania use the word "borough" like the Greater London Area in the U.K. does - that is, urban communities in tight-knit suburban relationship with a larger urban area?

That sounds correct yes

Let me tell you like that.

When you're invested in a party and that you reach confidence, you grow up.

I quickly evolved in a local association by beeing regularly invested (2h by week).

From a simple member to a VP in the Administrative Council the following year elected by the members then to President pro tempore during the period of 6 months of absence from the President ^^.

Same for parties, more you seem smart and in it, more it will come by itself.

What city do you live in and is there any way for those of us who are curious to check results of this election online? 

5 hours ago, Sami said:

Let me tell you like that.

When you're invested in a party and that you reach confidence, you grow up.

I quickly evolved in a local association by beeing regularly invested (2h by week).

From a simple member to a VP in the Administrative Council the following year elected by the members then to President pro tempore during the period of 6 months of absence from the President ^^.

Same for parties, more you seem smart and in it, more it will come by itself.

Exactly,It is to get the basis for my future in politics 

3 hours ago, CalebsParadox said:

What city do you live in and is there any way for those of us who are curious to check results of this election online? 

I live in the city of Uniontown,I was appointed,since no one was running in my Ward,my term doesn't officially start till May 15 however 

3 hours ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

I live in the city of Uniontown,I was appointed,since no one was running in my Ward,my term doesn't officially start till May 15 however 

When you have no opponents in an election for a given seat or office and win by default, we call that winning by acclamation here in Canada, a term I've also seen used in the same light in the U.K. (probably the direct source we get it from).

1 minute ago, Patine said:

When you have no opponents in an election for a given seat or office and win by default, we call that winning by acclamation here in Canada, a term I've also seen used in the same light in the U.K. (probably the direct source we get it from).

I was going to have a write in challenger,But i met the council head for coffee and she said since I made a great effort and am so young and to get my future started that she would appoint me immediately since there were no official challengers on the ballot 

I'd like to see some sort of news article with you being named to this position.

I'm a little surprised that you wouldn't have a challenger, considering they would be facing a teenager with no prior political office experience.

I hope you can take some constructive criticism---while I'm glad to see that you're politically active, there are some things that I think you should work on, should you seek a higher office. All of this is based on what I've noticed in this forum. While your enthusiasm is great, you are sometimes more whimsical than committed to your enthusiasm. You like to begin or join things, but you rarely stay committed to these things. You also have, what I call, a hair-trigger impulse. For instance, you often comment on things without thinking them through. You also don't pay attention to your own writing errors, some of which are very basic errors that can be avoided through a simple proofread. These are all attributes that would make me hesitant to vote for anyone, whether I agree with their views or not. I'm hoping these areas are improved as you age. 

3 hours ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

I was going to have a write in challenger,But i met the council head for coffee and she said since I made a great effort and am so young and to get my future started that she would appoint me immediately since there were no official challengers on the ballot 

8 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I'd like to see some sort of news article with you being named to this position.

I'm a little surprised that you wouldn't have a challenger, considering they would be facing a teenager with no prior political office experience.

I hope you can take some constructive criticism---while I'm glad to see that you're politically active, there are some things that I think you should work on, should you seek a higher office. All of this is based on what I've noticed in this forum. While your enthusiasm is great, you are sometimes more whimsical than committed to your enthusiasm. You like to begin or join things, but you rarely stay committed to these things. You also have, what I call, a hair-trigger impulse. For instance, you often comment on things without thinking them through. You also don't pay attention to your own writing errors, some of which are very basic errors that can be avoided through a simple proofread. These are all attributes that would make me hesitant to vote for anyone, whether I agree with their views or not. I'm hoping these areas are improved as you age. 

This may sound cynical and jaded, but I've been around awhile and have to point this out - this council head being eager to appoint you before a write-in campaign can get started on commenting on your "youth and great future" as selling qualities sounds like she might just believe you very pliable and easily taken and manipulated, and wants to groom you into a, how do you say, loyal follower of her and her local political camp, an opportunity the average entry age and amount of life experience of someone beginning a political career, even at the local level, rarely allows. I'm not necessarily saying you are uniformed or gullible, but someone seasoned enough to be a council head and with enough sway to dismiss an election contest, even with only a write-in opponent, might view you differently. Just a word of warning. Politics is not a game of friendly, sportsmanlike comradery...

12 hours ago, vcczar said:

Thank you for the criticism,yes I understand I have been improving on these things (the spelling errors are me just not proofreading,which everywhere else I do thorughly,except platforms like steam obiviously),and I will defidently share it when it becomes official May 15

12 hours ago, Patine said:

This may sound cynical and jaded, but I've been around awhile and have to point this out - this council head being eager to appoint you before a write-in campaign can get started on commenting on your "youth and great future" as selling qualities sounds like she might just believe you very pliable and easily taken and manipulated, and wants to groom you into a, how do you say, loyal follower of her and her local political camp, an opportunity the average entry age and amount of life experience of someone beginning a political career, even at the local level, rarely allows. I'm not necessarily saying you are uniformed or gullible, but someone seasoned enough to be a council head and with enough sway to dismiss an election contest, even with only a write-in opponent, might view you differently. Just a word of warning. Politics is not a game of friendly, sportsmanlike comradery...

Trust me I know,and I am defidently somebody that is a “trust no one,until they become trusting” kind of person. I know this is what she is trying to do,I knew it right away,That’s why I am going to be playing one move ahead of her. My father who was in politics for years told me to never be corrupted,do them a favor before they do you one,so then you are even. When she told me this we met for coffee,I bought her the coffee without saying anything,then she told me everything and I said “I suppose we are even now?” ,I like oweing no one anything,and I’ve always been like this,thank you for the advice.

14 hours ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

Trust me I know,and I am defidently somebody that is a “trust no one,until they become trusting” kind of person. I know this is what she is trying to do,I knew it right away,That’s why I am going to be playing one move ahead of her. My father who was in politics for years told me to never be corrupted,do them a favor before they do you one,so then you are even. When she told me this we met for coffee,I bought her the coffee without saying anything,then she told me everything and I said “I suppose we are even now?” ,I like oweing no one anything,and I’ve always been like this,thank you for the advice.

That's actually really great advice. Congratulations on your appointment.

These are fair and mature critiques, good thread!

Congratulations on the appointment. I hope you get as much out of it as you can and put in even more.

Congrats! :)