Jump to content
270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vcczar

Updated 2020 Election is Here

2020 Election  

9 members have voted

  1. 1. Will you play this update 2020 election, or at least go through the endorsers for each state, to see who I am missing? Will you offer feedback and suggestions?



Recommended Posts

Here is the updated 2020 Election: 

Please note the numerous endorsers. Who and what am I missing? 

United States - 2020-Apr14-2018.zip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Here is the updated 2020 Election: 

Please note the numerous endorsers. Who and what am I missing? 

United States - 2020-Apr14-2018.zip

I just downloaded it, but I'll be perfectly honest - I'm not sure when I'll play a full game or how helpful I'd be on State level endorsers. Also, to be completely honest, though your work as a scenario designer is exceptional, the 2020 U.S. Presidential Election is not an election scenario topic I have tremendous interest in if done any scenario designers - it's an upcoming scenario I'm finding depressing, probably an inevitable disappointment, likely reinforcing, exacerbating, and solidifying the recent (at least from my perspective) aspects of American culture and politics I've pointing out for a while are the growing weakness, internal cancer, and Achilles' heel of an otherwise great nation, and a worse threat to the U.S. than any foreign nation, ideology, or terrorist group, and a state of affairs that such planks as "Making America Great Again," will not and cannot happen while it infects and rots American society, culture, and politics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've noticed that when @Patine describes something he uses 3 adjectives or words 90% of the time.

(Nothing wrong with that, just a pattern I noticed, lol)

27 minutes ago, Patine said:

reinforcing, exacerbating, and solidifying

28 minutes ago, Patine said:

weakness, internal cancer, and Achilles' heel 

 

 

28 minutes ago, Patine said:

foreign nation, ideology, or terrorist group, 

 

29 minutes ago, Patine said:

 American society, culture, and politics.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I've noticed that when @Patine describes something he uses 3 adjectives or words 90% of the time.

(Nothing wrong with that, just a pattern I noticed, lol)

 

 

 

It's called the Rule of Three in oratory. It isn't common in common speech, however. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vcczar said:

It's called the Rule of Three in oratory. It isn't common in common speech, however. 

No, there has to be some conspiracy to it... PATINE DOES THE NUMBER THREE MEAN ANYTHING TO YOU?!

It's like he wants a third party or something :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

No, there has to be some conspiracy to it... PATINE DOES THE NUMBER THREE MEAN ANYTHING TO YOU?!

It's like he wants a third party or something :P

Going from two to only THREE parties? You haven't been paying attention to my rants... :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Also, "exacerbating". I had to look that one up lol, and I take Honors English courses.

My mother described me as exacerbating when I was a kid, so I learned that word pretty early on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Patine said:

Going from two to only THREE parties? You haven't been paying attention to my rants... :P

Four is getting a little out of hand bro, it's almost like you're saying that it's impossible for two parties to represent the interests of the majority of the people or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Four is getting a little out of hand bro, it's almost like you're saying that it's impossible for two parties to represent the interests of the majority of the people or something.

You don't understand. I say, get rid of the Electoral College and FPTP and let the floodgates of political ideology flow like in a Continental European country. How can two parties - which have both become complacent, entrenched, too comfortable, corrupt, and have constantly both screwed over the American people time and again, and are now both tightening their ideological platforms - REALLY represent 300 million people without endless elections where the majority of voters are asked to pick their poison and strategically vote rather than vote for someone they're TRULY enthusiastic about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone had a chance to look at my endorsers to see who I left out? Many states have more than just the Governor and Senators. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll do my best to contribute. Here are some thoughts:

For Texas, add the Lieutenant Governor, Dan Patrick. Lieutenant Governors in Texas have a lot of power (nominally more power than the Governor), and Dan Patrick has been a very public and outspoken one anyway. He's been present in state and national political news, so I feel it's a good argument to include him.
You could have his issue be either LGBTQ rights or Education, those are his two big issues in the State since being elected. I'm not sure that anyone else should be added in Texas.

For Oklahoma, if you're looking for a Democrat, I'd say John Sparks. He is the State Senate minority leader, but is very cooperative and influential with state Republicans, while also voicing plenty of criticisms. Because of his position, he appears in the news often, if briefly. His issue could be Government Spending or Education.

For Louisiana, Steve Scalise (US Representative, Republican), is the Majority Whip in the House of Representatives. He was shot at the baseball game attack and later returned to office. His issue could be Gun Control, as that's what he seems to be focused on right now IRL.
Another for Louisiana is Cedric Richmond (US Representative, Democratic), represents New Orleans and was chairman of the Congressional Black Caucus. He also happens to be " best player to ever participate" in the Congressional Baseball Game. Not sure about issues for him - he was on the Committee on Homeland Security?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looked at the scenario and have quite a few suggestions.

For candidates, I would suggest adding Jason Kander for the Democrats. He may have only served as Missouri Secretary of State but his Let America Vote group has feet on the ground in several early primary states (Iowa, New Hampshire, and Nevada) and it he seems to be hiring some people you would hire if you're thinking of running for president so he should be a potential candidate.

As for endorsers there's plenty of suggestions I'd make for changes if the scenario is supposed to be plausible based on how things are currently shaping up. There don't seem to be many missing but here's who I think would more likely be the endorsers for each state:

Governors:

Steve Sisolak (D-NV) or Chris Giunchigliani (D-NV) - depends on who you'd rather have but Sisolak would probably be the better choice, find it hard to see Laxalt ending up as governor right now despite polling because of NV being a swing state and the pro-Dem environment

Rich Cordray (D-OH) or Mike DeWine (R-OH) - depends on how you want it to go

Cary Kennedy (D-CO)

Tim Walz (D-MN)

Tony Evers (D-WI)

Gwen Graham (D-FL) or Philip Levine (D-FL) - depends on who you'd prefer but both would likely be victorious Dems if that's what you're going for

Michelle Lujan Grisham (D-NM)

Jonathan Harris (D-CT) or Susan Bysiewcz (D-CT) - not an expert on CT politics so just picked two of the candidates based on hunches but should likely be one of the current candidates at very least, also chance of this being a Republican

Mike Parson (R-MO) - hard to see Greitens surviving until 2019 so likely will end up leaving office one way or another to be replaced with his Lt. Gov.

Senate:

Jacky Rosen (D-NV) - hard for me to see Heller being re-elected considering the national environment and the fact that Hillary won the state I'd say Rosen is likely to win

Heidi Heitkamp (D-ND) or Kevin Cramer (R-ND) - if you want it to be Republican then pick Cramer but the backstory (if it's still the Dems narrowly retaking the Senate) won't work if you have her lose

Phil Bredesen (D-TN) - If you want to have the back story be that Dems narrowly take back the Senate then Bredesen winning in TN is a must, he also has had good polls showing him way ahead and cross-over support so this would be plausible

Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) - she's pretty much a shoo-in for re-election at this point I'd say and Becerra isn't in the race at all

For additional endorsers I'd suggest adding Fmr. Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI). Other than that if you want to put members of party leadership in the House then I'd add Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA), Rep. Steny Hoyer (D-MD), and Rep. Jim Clyburn (D-SC) although the Dem leadership could end up changing between now and August 2019. I'd also suggest having Cynthia Nixon (D-NY) be a potential endorser from NY de to her high-profile gubernatorial run this year and existing celebrity status.

Also you have Cathy McMorris-Rodgers as an Oregon endorser when she should be a Washington one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe add Jon Bon Jovi as an endorser for NJ? He campaigned with Hillary in 2016 and speaks out on political issues often. I wish I could be more of a help on endorsers. 

 

On a different note, have you considered adding Chris Murphy as a candidate? Though he hasn't said he is interested, he did dodge the question a bit when asked last year: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/democratic-sen-chris-murphy-deflects-questions-2020-presidential/story?id=50422720). He's definitely become more known than before with the whole gun control debate and stuff. And just yesterday he announced his own healthcare plan with Jeff Merkley. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Somberg said:

Governors:

Steve Sisolak (D-NV) or Chris Giunchigliani (D-NV) - depends on who you'd rather have but Sisolak would probably be the better choice, find it hard to see Laxalt ending up as governor right now despite polling because of NV being a swing state and the pro-Dem environment

Personally I have a much more optimistic outlook on State level politics for the Republicans, but that's just me, and really doesn't matter for the point I'm making relative to just Nevada. I personally don't see a blue wave, more of a Blue Ripple. I think the Democrats are likely to come close to the House, not take it, and it highly unlikely they take the Senate. Republicans stay in command at the State level. In Nevada, I see this, because of how great a candidate Laxalt is and how lackluster the other two are, as a pure toss-up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Somberg said:

 I'd also suggest having Cynthia Nixon (D-NY) be a potential endorser from NY de to her high-profile gubernatorial run this year and existing celebrity status.

I just don't see Cynthia Nixon winning or even being significant after the primary judging by the latest poll numbers.

Poll source Date(s)
administered
Sample
size
Margin
of error
Andrew
Cuomo
Cynthia
Nixon
Other Undecided
Siena College April 8–12, 2018 58% 27% 5% 11%
Marist College April 3–9, 2018 364 6.0% 68% 21% 11%
Remington Research Group (R-Big Dog Strategies) April 7–8, 2018 2,038 2.2% 60% 20% 19%
Siena College March 11–16, 2018 363 4.0% 66% 19% 1% 9%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Reagan04 said:

Personally I have a much more optimistic outlook on State level politics for the Republicans, but that's just me, and really doesn't matter for the point I'm making relative to just Nevada. I personally don't see a blue wave, more of a Blue Ripple. I think the Democrats are likely to come close to the House, not take it, and it highly unlikely they take the Senate. Republicans stay in command at the State level. In Nevada, I see this, because of how great a candidate Laxalt is and how lackluster the other two are, as a pure toss-up.

Optimistic outlook or wishful thinking, @Reagan04? :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NYrepublican said:

I just don't see Cynthia Nixon winning or even being significant after the primary judging by the latest poll numbers.

Poll source Date(s)
administered
Sample
size
Margin
of error
Andrew
Cuomo
Cynthia
Nixon
Other Undecided
Siena College April 8–12, 2018 58% 27% 5% 11%
Marist College April 3–9, 2018 364 6.0% 68% 21% 11%
Remington Research Group (R-Big Dog Strategies) April 7–8, 2018 2,038 2.2% 60% 20% 19%
Siena College March 11–16, 2018 363 4.0% 66% 19% 1% 9%

The major polls said that Dewey would win in 1948, or, for that matter, that Clinton would win in 2016. I wouldn't quote them as absolute - likely perhaps - but not the seeming certainty you like to quote them as on these forums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Patine said:

The major polls said that Dewey would win in 1948, or, for that matter, that Clinton would win in 2016. I wouldn't quote them as absolute - likely perhaps - but not the seeming certainty you like to quote them as on these forums.

Yes and not many polls were taken before the election and he was ahead by 5 points nationally not 40.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

Personally I have a much more optimistic outlook on State level politics for the Republicans, but that's just me, and really doesn't matter for the point I'm making relative to just Nevada. I personally don't see a blue wave, more of a Blue Ripple. I think the Democrats are likely to come close to the House, not take it, and it highly unlikely they take the Senate. Republicans stay in command at the State level. In Nevada, I see this, because of how great a candidate Laxalt is and how lackluster the other two are, as a pure toss-up.

I must respectfully disagree with you as there's just way too many indicators that Dems are in for a very good year to ignore in my opinion. Almost a record number of Republican retirements in the House, consistent Dem over performance in special elections, strong fundraising by Dem candidates that is eclipsing even GOP incumbents, record number of Dems running for office, and poll after poll showing a wide enthusiasm gap between Dems and GOP. Republicans tax message is not resonating and the only thing they have going for them is the economy. They still have a chance of holding on to the House but I would say that Dems are more likely to take the House than not.

The Senate is an entirely different story and I would say that GOP is likely to hold the majority after November but it could be an incredibly slim one (50-50 split is very much possible). Likely that 1-2 Dems in red states are going to lose re-election at the most but further gains are likely to be limited for the GOP by the poor national environment for them.

Nevada is a toss-up, yeah, but this is a swing state that voted for Hillary and the left is very energized so I'd give them the benefit of the doubt in my opinion. 

Also the scenario says that the Dems take back the House and Senate so what I said was who would plausibly win if that were the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2018 at 1:11 AM, Somberg said:

Looked at the scenario and have quite a few suggestions.

For candidates, I would suggest adding Jason Kander for the Democrats. He may have only served as Missouri Secretary of State but his Let America Vote group has feet on the ground in several early primary states (Iowa, New Hampshire, and Nevada) and it he seems to be hiring some people you would hire if you're thinking of running for president so he should be a potential candidate.

As for endorsers there's plenty of suggestions I'd make for changes if the scenario is supposed to be plausible based on how things are currently shaping up. There don't seem to be many missing but here's who I think would more likely be the endorsers for each state:

Governors:

Steve Sisolak (D-NV) or Chris Giunchigliani (D-NV) - depends on who you'd rather have but Sisolak would probably be the better choice, find it hard to see Laxalt ending up as governor right now despite polling because of NV being a swing state and the pro-Dem environment

Rich Cordray (D-OH) or Mike DeWine (R-OH) - depends on how you want it to go

Cary Kennedy (D-CO)

Tim Walz (D-MN)

Tony Evers (D-WI)

Gwen Graham (D-FL) or Philip Levine (D-FL) - depends on who you'd prefer but both would likely be victorious Dems if that's what you're going for

Michelle Lujan Grisham (D-NM)

Jonathan Harris (D-CT) or Susan Bysiewcz (D-CT) - not an expert on CT politics so just picked two of the candidates based on hunches but should likely be one of the current candidates at very least, also chance of this being a Republican

Mike Parson (R-MO) - hard to see Greitens surviving until 2019 so likely will end up leaving office one way or another to be replaced with his Lt. Gov.

Senate:

Jacky Rosen (D-NV) - hard for me to see Heller being re-elected considering the national environment and the fact that Hillary won the state I'd say Rosen is likely to win

Heidi Heitkamp (D-ND) or Kevin Cramer (R-ND) - if you want it to be Republican then pick Cramer but the backstory (if it's still the Dems narrowly retaking the Senate) won't work if you have her lose

Phil Bredesen (D-TN) - If you want to have the back story be that Dems narrowly take back the Senate then Bredesen winning in TN is a must, he also has had good polls showing him way ahead and cross-over support so this would be plausible

Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) - she's pretty much a shoo-in for re-election at this point I'd say and Becerra isn't in the race at all

For additional endorsers I'd suggest adding Fmr. Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI). Other than that if you want to put members of party leadership in the House then I'd add Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA), Rep. Steny Hoyer (D-MD), and Rep. Jim Clyburn (D-SC) although the Dem leadership could end up changing between now and August 2019. I'd also suggest having Cynthia Nixon (D-NY) be a potential endorser from NY de to her high-profile gubernatorial run this year and existing celebrity status.

Also you have Cathy McMorris-Rodgers as an Oregon endorser when she should be a Washington one.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×