270soft Forum
Rodja

Roll Call Conventions

A thought occured to me when i was playing @vcczar's 2020 as Bernie Sanders and lost on convention that it would be much more exciting and realistic if we have had roll call conventions with delegates from all states voting if no candidate clinches the nomination rather tha candidates handing delegates to other candidates.

@admin_270

58 minutes ago, Rodja said:

A thought occured to me when i was playing @vcczar's 2020 as Bernie Sanders and lost on convention that it would be much more exciting and realistic if we have had roll call conventions with delegates from all states voting if no candidate clinches the nomination rather tha candidates handing delegates to other candidates.

@admin_270

Actually, I think it should be more like, "Joe Biden releases his delegates and endorses Bernie Sanders" and then a certain % of his endorsers go to Bernie Sanders based on their relations. The roll call would be fun, but it would get tedious after Round 1. 

One thing that I've noticed every time I've gotten to a convention is that the eliminated candidates' delegates always seem to shift en masse to some other candidate. It seems more likely that they would divide up between the candidates still in the race - even if the defeated candidate endorses somebody, I don't think that's binding upon the delegates. If, for example, Biden had gotten into the primary and finished third with something like Clinton 45%, Sanders 30%, Biden 25%, my guess is that Biden probably would have endorsed Hillary, but some of his delegates would have still voted for Bernie in the next round.

On 5/4/2018 at 1:37 PM, RI Democrat said:

One thing that I've noticed every time I've gotten to a convention is that the eliminated candidates' delegates always seem to shift en masse to some other candidate. It seems more likely that they would divide up between the candidates still in the race - even if the defeated candidate endorses somebody, I don't think that's binding upon the delegates. If, for example, Biden had gotten into the primary and finished third with something like Clinton 45%, Sanders 30%, Biden 25%, my guess is that Biden probably would have endorsed Hillary, but some of his delegates would have still voted for Bernie in the next round.

Yeah, this is a problem. I wish the delegates would shift more towards the most ideologically similar candidate, whether the frontrunner or not. This would make shifting a platform more of a potential positive, since you want to solidify your vote before the convention. 

On 5/4/2018 at 1:37 PM, RI Democrat said:

This seems like something that would be tied into the favorability update that Anthony has in the pipeline. Just as X% of candidate A's voters would go to candidate B after A drops out, I'm sure some percent of delegates would do the same (though at the convention, everybody has to cast a vote in the end I believe so they'd be switching, while in elections many of those defecting just won't show up in the general.

Though, a lot of delegates are pretty hardcore supporters (and some underdog candidates choose delegates based on how willing they are to engage in a floor fight), so maybe it's more likely more defect to a non-favorite out of spite? Not sure.

This is how it used to work in the 2008 version of the game and I really enjoyed that aspect. Sometimes a candidate would endorse another and 100% of their delegates would move towards that candidate. However, sometimes a candidate would withdraw and their delegates would be split based on a variety of factors. I wish Anthony introduced this back into the game.