270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NYrepublican

Syria

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Are you willing to vote against every politician who has supported, ordered, or been affiliated with such "cowboy military actions," and encourage everyone you speak to to also vote against said politicians? There's a starting measure for you.

I don't have the right to vote as of the time of this writing anyway so that's somehwat irrelevant.

Just now, NYrepublican said:

I don't have the right to vote as of the time of this writing anyway so that's somehwat irrelevant.

Do you think all such politicians will be out of office by the time you can vote? Or that new ones won't have revealed themselves by their actions?

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Do you think all such politicians will be out of office by the time you can vote? Or that new ones won't have revealed themselves by their actions?

Well hopefully there'll be world peace within the next 4 years.

Well hopefully there'll be world peace within the next 4 years.

It would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath or making any big bets on it in Las Vegas...

Assad is a tyrant that kills his people with gas,he needs to go away but Trump needs to have some strategy not just one strike at a time!

6 hours ago, Rodja said:

Assad is a tyrant that kills his people with gas,he needs to go away but Trump needs to have some strategy not just one strike at a time!

Agreed.

7 hours ago, Rodja said:

14 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

Agreed.

But this is not new and shocking information. Bashir Assad has been a tyrant and been killing many of his people in horrible ways since the turn of the 21st Century. And his father, Hafez Assad, who taught Bashir everything he knows, had been a tyrant killing of his people horribly since he came to power in a coup in the late '70's or early '80's. But nobody cared or thought to do anything or regarded this as an issue for decades until modern sensationalism said, suddenly, out of the blue, "Assad is a murderous tyrant and must be stopped," as though this were news. The question is, can nations like the U.S., U.K., France, etc. say they are honestly and sincerely going in NOW to do justice to a situation they willingly and knowingly ignored and didn't view as a serious issue at all for decades. THAT part seems disingenuous and playing upon sensationalist news coverage and government press releases and lack of knowledge by many Westerners of the full situation for self-promotion by said governments - quite possibly with said self-promotion being a much higher priority than any claimed 'justice' being pursued. And a lot of innocent people may die unnecessarily for that self-promotion.

26 minutes ago, Patine said:

But this is not new and shocking information. Bashir Assad has been a tyrant and been killing many of his people in horrible ways since the turn of the 21st Century. And his father, Hafez Assad, who taught Bashir everything he knows, had been a tyrant killing of his people horribly since he came to power in a coup in the late '70's or early '80's. But nobody cared or thought to do anything or regarded this as an issue for decades until modern sensationalism said, suddenly, out of the blue, "Assad is a murderous tyrant and must be stopped," as though this were news. The question is, can nations like the U.S., U.K., France, etc. say they are honestly and sincerely going in NOW to do justice to a situation they willingly and knowingly ignored and didn't view as a serious issue at all for decades. THAT part seems disingenuous and playing upon sensationalist news coverage and government press releases and lack of knowledge by many Westerners of the full situation for self-promotion by said governments - quite possibly with said self-promotion being a much higher priority than any claimed 'justice' being pursued. And a lot of innocent people may die unnecessarily for that self-promotion.

I consider it a good sign that they're beginning to care even if only for self-promotion.

12 minutes ago, Rodja said:

Better late than never.

Yes, I'm sure the people of Iraq agree with that one... :S

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:32 PM, NYrepublican said:

1.The WPA is basically ignored to such an extent nowadays that it's basically irrelevant

2.He might be testing trump after his statement that the  US would withdraw.

3.Make a point.

1. The WPA is an excuse used by some in favor of the attack.  However, it doesn't apply to this situation.  I am specifically referring to Congress's exclusive ability to authorize force in instances such as this.  Also, just because something is ignored doesn't mean it's right to ignore it.

2. What would the purpose in testing Trump be?

3. I don't need a point to go along with the question of what the airstrikes actually do.

8 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Also, just because something is ignored doesn't mean it's right to ignore it.

Exactly as I just said above. Thank-you for that common sense concurrence, @jvikings1

22 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

1. The WPA is an excuse used by some in favor of the attack.  However, it doesn't apply to this situation.  I am specifically referring to Congress's exclusive ability to authorize force in instances such as this.  Also, just because something is ignored doesn't mean it's right to ignore it.

2. What would the purpose in testing Trump be?

3. I don't need a point to go along with the question of what the airstrikes actually do.

1.True but people only actually follow de facto law and not neccessarily de jure law

2.To test how committed he is to isolationism after his statement on withdrawing from Syria.

3.To knock out Assads chemical weapons capabilities.

1.True but people only actually follow de facto law and not neccessarily de jure law

2.To test how committed he is to isolationism after his statement on withdrawing from Syria.

3.To knock out Assads chemical weapons capabilities.

I'm REALLY glad you're not a diplomat or general right now!

I am shared

From one point, Trump has the honesty Obama had not with his red line

And from another, I tried to do something strange

Put myself at the place of Dick Cheney

Dick Cheney is not the worst ever man, I think he's passioned by principles and way too extremist for a former Vice President, but I see some reasons why he thought the war in Irak wasn't a bad thing

I see a lot of "liberals" (we do not call them liberals in Europe but Left seeing extreme left, and liberal is a centrist term, I am a Social Liberal of Center Left for example), who, to come back on these "liberals" talk a lot about the war in Irak.

They less talk about the atrocities of Sadam Hussein.

I do not think the war in Irak was a good thing at all, because a sovereign state has been violated, but the Kurds have gained rights thanks to both wars, a poor people, which has been mistreated by the Irakian state which is only limited by the 2 american wars.

Because currently, the Irakian government has not stopped its claims, just reduced it.

That's why it's always important to cross the mainstream view and also to try to see what are the opposed points.

In the Syrian case, all depends of if the current dictator used chimical weapons or not.

1 hour ago, Sami said:

I am shared

From one point, Trump has the honesty Obama had not with his red line

And from another, I tried to do something strange

Put myself at the place of Dick Cheney

Dick Cheney is not the worst ever man, I think he's passioned by principles and way too extremist for a former Vice President, but I see some reasons why he thought the war in Irak wasn't a bad thing

I see a lot of "liberals" (we do not call them liberals in Europe but Left seeing extreme left, and liberal is a centrist term, I am a Social Liberal of Center Left for example), who, to come back on these "liberals" talk a lot about the war in Irak.

They less talk about the atrocities of Sadam Hussein.

I do not think the war in Irak was a good thing at all, because a sovereign state has been violated, but the Kurds have gained rights thanks to both wars, a poor people, which has been mistreated by the Irakian state which is only limited by the 2 american wars.

Because currently, the Irakian government has not stopped its claims, just reduced it.

That's why it's always important to cross the mainstream view and also to try to see what are the opposed points.

In the Syrian case, all depends of if the current dictator used chimical weapons or not.

A question for you in this light. Do you think the U.S. government committed atrocities and war crimes by using chemical weapons against civilian targets in Vietnam, or your own French government committed atrocities and war crimes by supporting, aiding, abetting, funding, equipping, and protecting the escape of, at the end, the instigators of the Rwandan genocide? Please answer honestly.

44 minutes ago, Patine said:

A question for you in this light. Do you think the U.S. government committed atrocities and war crimes by using chemical weapons against civilian targets in Vietnam, or your own French government committed atrocities and war crimes by supporting, aiding, abetting, funding, equipping, and protecting the escape of, at the end, the instigators of the Rwandan genocide? Please answer honestly.

Of course sir!

And it's common to my family, I will give you an example with the "independence war" in Algeria for which France has been called of "colonialist" by the young Dem Senator John F Kennedy in 1956 as the USSR.

You know, my family is strangely shared, my mom is a french teacher and my father is the same but from Algeria and came in France to stude

This kind of Northern African families who could go in France to stude and not to work were rares, hence the family of my father has a small history in Algeria, and all of that is due to my great uncle who has been Major in the French then Algerian army and who fought with the resistance

First he joined the famous FLN (Front de Libération Nationale) which was just a military group which used terrorist technics (by killing the original MLN of Messali Hadj which was for the independence aswell but in an islamic way).

Even if his collaboration was just to manage a network of spies.

After the liberation, he became the first prefet of Constantine by the same way.

And he believed to the fake argument of the FLN that the independence with the content of the army was freedom (for all civil groups unlike the MLN).

He served well the President Ahmed Ben Bella, 1st president of the Algerian Républic

Which has been highly received with all honors (Ben Bella) by the US President John F Kennedy who was happy of this independence

Then, in 1965, the minister of defence, Boumedienne, made a military putsh and became the first president.

At this moment, my great uncle said in his french "L'Algérie des généraux et des putschs c'est une Algérie perdue" "Algeria of generals and "coups" is a loosed Algeria"

He renounced to all honors of the regime, and refused pensions and others honors.

He also refused the french pension of former warrior.

The future gave him right, in 1992 the FLN tried to liberalize the regime, 10 years of war followed it, and thousands of deads...

Today this same army is still leading the country.

And I am also sad to tell it but, maybe that, it's better for Algeria indeed.

There is a civilisation problem according to me, between the Middle East, the Northern Africa and the Occidental culture, there is a clash.

That's on your both questions, yes, for me our countries aren't doing great things too.

Canada mistreated the autochtones during decades, France and UK killed as many as people than Hitler by their colonial Empire.

The USA brought chaos in the Middle East, the current president is the first to have said it during the campain (even if he's continuing it).

But if we have to recognize all of that, we have to comparate, to see where are the problems.

I do not deny the problems of the Occidentals, I just see that the path for freedom is more open in our culture than in the Middle East or in Northern Africa, and I'm sad for those who have to suffer of it, just like those who suffer of the "majority tyranny" here in our modern liberal democraties.