270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Patine

Robert F. Kennedy

I had been reading some biographical articles, speeches, and quotes by Robert F. Kennedy starting at the Wikipedia article about the 50th Anniversary of speech against violence in the aftermath of Martin Luther King's assassination. Maybe @vcczar or others can correct me if I'm seeing things inaccurately, but I can't help from these things, especially his speeches and quotes, to think he seemed to have less emotional composure and control than his brothers John and Ted. He often seemed to act and respond to events in very emotional and visceral ways, and lash out at people quite emotionally in his speeches, but not in the inspired channeling of passion of a truly great speaker (or incendiary demagogue, for that matter). This was how it seemed to me, at least.

15 hours ago, Patine said:

I had been reading some biographical articles, speeches, and quotes by Robert F. Kennedy starting at the Wikipedia article about the 50th Anniversary of speech against violence in the aftermath of Martin Luther King's assassination. Maybe @vcczar or others can correct me if I'm seeing things inaccurately, but I can't help from these things, especially his speeches and quotes, to think he seemed to have less emotional composure and control than his brothers John and Ted. He often seemed to act and respond to events in very emotional and visceral ways, and lash out at people quite emotionally in his speeches, but not in the inspired channeling of passion of a truly great speaker (or incendiary demagogue, for that matter). This was how it seemed to me, at least.

Interesting observations on RFK. He was a rather complex person, more so than his brothers. As president, he would have been an excellent policy-maker, but he would have probably been nearly as bad as Jimmy Carter was in dealing with other politicians.

There was the behind the doors RFK (the one at work), and the outdoors RFK (the one that speaks to the people).

The one at work worked harder and with more determination than anyone, and he wasn't afraid to let other people know if they weren't keeping up and being as determined. He was also rather puritanical in his views of right and wrong, so much so that it rubbed politicians the wrong way. He wasn't chummy or fun to be around. Gore Vidal, a friend of JFK, couldn't stand RFK. He saw him as someone that would show up and ruin all the fun by getting straight to business. 

The RFK on campaign was patient, tolerant, lovable and loving. He was unsmiling in the political world and smiling when out with the people.This isn't to say that he was being two-faced. I think he would have sincerely aimed to do what he campaigned to do. I also think he saw his supporters (and potential supporters) as a father sees a child, which is the alteration in his behavior. As someone that had about 12 kids or more, this doesn't seem too strange. I think he saw the other politicians, including those of his own party, as employees and co-workers that are supposed to be working for the betterment of the people at all times. 

I think JFK was a more tradition speaker. He had to give speeches for over a decade before becoming president. They are organized. RFK wasn't expected to hold any office that would have required speechmaking. You'll notice RFK operates more in a townhall mode, which he does well in.