Jump to content
270soft Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LokiLoki22

Cohen Raid

Recommended Posts

This is big news. I know that nearly everyone here has seen it. What are your thoughts in terms of A. What it signifies in terms of the President. B. What it is likely to do electorally in 2018, 2020. C. What (if anything), it will change on the various scandals currently engulfing the president. 

I will be keeping an eye on things to make sure this stays in hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LokiLoki22 said:

This is big news. I know that nearly everyone here has seen it. What are your thoughts in terms of A. What it signifies in terms of the President. B. What it is likely to do electorally in 2018, 2020. C. What (if anything), it will change on the various scandals currently engulfing the president. 

I will be keeping an eye on things to make sure this stays in hand.

A: Raiding an attorneys office is huge; this is an obvious sign of Michael Cohen not cooperating with the Southern District of New York. There would be no other for Justice department officials appointed by Trump to approve of such as Rod Rosenstein, to approve such a raid if Cohen was cooperating to the fullest. 

B: What does it mean for the president? Unsure. It is difficult to figure out if this is Cohen's inability to handle a case this large, or Cohen taking actions to deceive the investigators. A legitimate concern among the legal community (according to Preet Bahria's podcast) is that: since the Mueller/Southern District team are well armed with high quality lawyers, and the Trump team isn't, it will create an unfair trial in the favor of the investigators. The news of Cohen's office being raided obviously rattled Trump enough to go on twitter and rant about it for hours. But will it hurt Trump/GoP electorally?

I'm unsure. Right now, I want to say no, since majority of the nation is focused on the impending trade war with China, and what it will mean for their local economies. But if Trump does fire Mueller, I could see it tanking GoP numbers evenmore, and make the odds of a Democratic Congress much stronger. 
 

C: I don't see it changing anything right now. It just adds to the argument that Mueller's days are numbered, despite this being an FBI raid for the Southern District of New York- not the special counsel. .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

A: Raiding an attorneys office is huge; this is an obvious sign of Michael Cohen not cooperating with the Southern District of New York. There would be no other for Justice department officials appointed by Trump to approve of such as Rod Rosenstein, to approve such a raid if Cohen was cooperating to the fullest. 

B: What does it mean for the president? Unsure. It is difficult to figure out if this is Cohen's inability to handle a case this large, or Cohen taking actions to deceive the investigators. A legitimate concern among the legal community (according to Preet Bahria's podcast) is that: since the Mueller/Southern District team are well armed with high quality lawyers, and the Trump team isn't, it will create an unfair trial in the favor of the investigators. The news of Cohen's office being raided obviously rattled Trump enough to go on twitter and rant about it for hours. But will it hurt Trump/GoP electorally?

I'm unsure. Right now, I want to say no, since majority of the nation is focused on the impending trade war with China, and what it will mean for their local economies. But if Trump does fire Mueller, I could see it tanking GoP numbers evenmore, and make the odds of a Democratic Congress much stronger. 
 

C: I don't see it changing anything right now. It just adds to the argument that Mueller's days are numbered, despite this being an FBI raid for the Southern District of New York- not the special counsel. .

I find it interesting the spin that's been put on this story by SOMEONE in journalism or PR, that even affected your typically sober and well-thought out responses. So many people right now are focused on this raid on Trump's lawyer's office and an alleged affair with a porn actress at the moment as the biggest source of speculation right now by far on effects on his polling and re-electability that the fact that Trump is starting a trade war with China, something even you mentioned in your above statement as though it were another issue entirely and not something to stake polling or re-electability speculations on, but like forecast bad weather coming, almost. A trade war with China is a lose-lose situation economically, almost certainly, for everyone involved by the end, be they business owners, consumers, employees, and even the two national economies (and a bunch of collateral national economies) and, could, and will likely, linger as a bad economy quite potentially till 2020, leaving Trump running for re-election with one of those bad economies that have sunk so many U.S. Presidents running for re-election, but, unlike most of them, it won't be the fault of "him and one or more previous Presidents," the blame will be squarely on his head and shoulders alone. Given Trump's base seems not to care about his integrity, with even his Evangelical supporters hypocritically and without seeming care embracing him in a Devil's bargain, and worrying about what scrap of virtue and righteousness they had left that they had sold for their Orange Devil President of Sin - I believe the economic fallout of what is nothing more beneficial to the U.S. or China than a pissing contest between Trump and Xi, may MUCH more likely be Trump's undoing in 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Patine said:

I find it interesting the spin that's been put on this story by SOMEONE in journalism or PR, that even affected your typically sober and well-thought out responses. So many people right now are focused on this raid on Trump's lawyer's office and an alleged affair with a porn actress at the moment as the biggest source of speculation right now by far on effects on his polling and re-electability that the fact that Trump is starting a trade war with China, something even you mentioned in your above statement as though it were another issue entirely and not something to stake polling or re-electability speculations on, but like forecast bad weather coming, almost. A trade war with China is a lose-lose situation economically, almost certainly, for everyone involved by the end, be they business owners, consumers, employees, and even the two national economies (and a bunch of collateral national economies) and, could, and will likely, linger as a bad economy quite potentially till 2020, leaving Trump running for re-election with one of those bad economies that have sunk so many U.S. Presidents running for re-election, but, unlike most of them, it won't be the fault of "him and one or more previous Presidents," the blame will be squarely on his head and shoulders alone. Given Trump's base seems not to care about his integrity, with even his Evangelical supporters hypocritically and without seeming care embracing him in a Devil's bargain, and worrying about what scrap of virtue and righteousness they had left that they had sold for their Orange Devil President of Sin - I believe the economic fallout of what is nothing more beneficial to the U.S. or China than a pissing contest between Trump and Xi, may MUCH more likely be Trump's undoing in 2020.

My local media is to blame for the bias towards the Chinese tariffs and lack of reporting on the Stormy Daniels affair and possible campaign finance violations; since I live near a busy Atlantic Ocean port that handles 3millions containers a year. And there is tractor nearby, along with pork farms in the rural areas outside of Savannah. So the tariffs will affect this city negatively, unlike campaign finance violations. I hate that is the reality we live in. Where we are willing to turn a blind eye to violation of laws because "it doesn't play well with voters". 

But the tariffs, the mood in Savannah/suburban SC, is relatively mixed. People trying to trick themselves into thinking they will not hurt the city, while being careful on not spending too much money right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PEOPLE, a raid DOES NOT indicate guilt AND it is no proof of such as much as a warrant is indicative of guilt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

PEOPLE, a raid DOES NOT indicate guilt AND it is no proof of such as much as a warrant is indicative of guilt.

I know this. You know this. BUT, do you have any such bold statements to deflect much greater worries ALL AROUND, for people of all demographics and political affiliations, including for Trump's potential re-election bid, and all that's in between about this disastrous trade war Trump is starting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Patine said:

I know this. You know this. BUT, do you have any such bold statements to deflect much greater worries ALL AROUND, for people of all demographics and political affiliations, including for Trump's potential re-election bid, and all that's in between about this disastrous trade war Trump is starting.

China's satying a free rtader which is good it's lowering tariffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NYrepublican said:

China's satying a free rtader which is good it's lowering tariffs.

 

1 hour ago, Wiw said:

Oh God, there's going to be a war with China on top of everything?!

Off topic.

 

14 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

A: Raiding an attorneys office is huge; this is an obvious sign of Michael Cohen not cooperating with the Southern District of New York. There would be no other for Justice department officials appointed by Trump to approve of such as Rod Rosenstein, to approve such a raid if Cohen was cooperating to the fullest. 

B: What does it mean for the president? Unsure. It is difficult to figure out if this is Cohen's inability to handle a case this large, or Cohen taking actions to deceive the investigators. A legitimate concern among the legal community (according to Preet Bahria's podcast) is that: since the Mueller/Southern District team are well armed with high quality lawyers, and the Trump team isn't, it will create an unfair trial in the favor of the investigators. The news of Cohen's office being raided obviously rattled Trump enough to go on twitter and rant about it for hours. But will it hurt Trump/GoP electorally?

I'm unsure. Right now, I want to say no, since majority of the nation is focused on the impending trade war with China, and what it will mean for their local economies. But if Trump does fire Mueller, I could see it tanking GoP numbers evenmore, and make the odds of a Democratic Congress much stronger. 
 

C: I don't see it changing anything right now. It just adds to the argument that Mueller's days are numbered, despite this being an FBI raid for the Southern District of New York- not the special counsel. .

On B. I find it difficult to believe that the Trump team isn't well armed with lawyers. Look at some of what he's gotten away with over the years. If needed, he'll ditch Cohen for someone who can actually handle his cases. Again, a raid indicates nothing more than probable cause.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LokiLoki22 said:

On B. I find it difficult to believe that the Trump team isn't well armed with lawyers. Look at some of what he's gotten away with over the years. If needed, he'll ditch Cohen for someone who can actually handle his cases. Again, a raid indicates nothing more than probable cause.

I think it is one thing to have a lawyer skilled in business(such as Cohen), and another lawyer skilled in Federal Election laws( the Mueller team). I can assume Cohen is an excellent lawyer for Trump, when Trump was a private businessman in Manhattan. But I wonder- if the FBI have to raid his office- if he was capable of a case this large. I have to assume Trump would ditch Cohen, since I doubt any judge would allow a lawyer whose office was raided into the courtroom. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the FBI raided Cohens office, doesn't this mean that the FBI has access to all of Trumps Files?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Paul Hontz said:

Since the FBI raided Cohens office, doesn't this mean that the FBI has access to all of Trumps Files?

If the FBI doesn't already have access by warrant to all relevant files of Trump's to said investigation as it is, the United States government is several places down on the Government Transparency Index than Human Rights Watch, Freedom House, and Amnesty International currently place them at in official releases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Paul Hontz said:

Since the FBI raided Cohens office, doesn't this mean that the FBI has access to all of Trumps Files?

Sorta yes. The FBI will have an independent sector of the agency review the documents for the Southern District of NY to see what pertains to the investigation the Southern District is conducting. Then they will pass the files to the US Attorney's office, and they will build a case on if Cohen violated federal election laws or not.


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-04-11 at 2:15 PM, Paul Hontz said:

Since the FBI raided Cohens office, doesn't this mean that the FBI has access to all of Trumps Files?

Of course, it would take a considerable amount of time to sift through said files and flag any (if any) of note.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×