270soft Forum
vcczar

New Historical President RP

25 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

This is America, we do not negotiate with terrorists. This is what I will tell the Public of course. On the side, we will pass a tax cut through the Republican-controlled House as it was a signature of my platform. This should act as a marker of good faith for the rebels. If even after this tax cut, they refuse to disperse, we will have no choice but to move in our professional forces.

We will keep the Army at exactly this size, not a man more and not one less. The Warships are to be maintained. I will refuse to sign any piece of legislation that increases or decreases the size of the military until our debt is under control. I am a Fiscal Hawk before a Defense Hawk and I count on my Republican House to uphold these ideas in the budget.

I ran a signature campaign against the acts and repealing them will be a major issue this term. I will wholeheartedly support a bill that repeals these two insidious and unconstitutional actions. I also would like Congress to pass a more restrictive Immigration policy which I can sign as I believe President Lewis was all too lax on the subject.

I will support these payments until the budget is balanced. At that time I will support increasing the size of our Navy in order to defend our shipping routes from these Pirates of Barbary.

I stand firmly against Federal funded internal improvements. The construction of these projects should be a state issue. That being said, I do believe that whatever money we can afford to spare to grants to the states would be appropriate, however, that would be secondary to a stronger national defense and balancing the budget. The Federal Government is tasked with what the individual and State Governments cannot do themselves, I will stick to that sole cause.

Vice President Lewis has been an interesting Vice President, to say the least, and I enthusiastically support the 12th Amendment to ensure a saner form of American Government. I am sure the States, run overwhelmingly by my party will understand this. Congress should pass it seeing this national dysfunction. And if the Governors do seem hesitant, remind them that this means that they could possibly secure the Vice Presidency on a Republican ticket now.

Absolutely. It is our destiny to expand, that is one of the primary functions of the American Government. Westerners and Southerners need a voice! Here we can provide one to thousands of Westerners.

I completely support this measure. While it may be pricey it holds riches untold and this opportunity shan't be squandered. I believe that this new bounty of land will be a great boon for our nation! If the power of Slave States is increased, so be it.

These are both incredibly important measures. The Clark expedition will be given minimal funding, it is to be what we can spare, and if it is not in the budget, then it is not necessary. However, the removal the Indian tribes is important and I support a "Whatever Means Necessary" approach towards removing them from our land.

We've got a real president now folks. Excited to see how your first term plays out.

30 minutes ago, CalebsParadox said:

We've got a real president now folks. Excited to see how your first term plays out.

As am I! I like that, a real President lol.

Former Vice President Henderson sends congratulations to President-Elect Aldridge.

(As my game's choices have been decided for a huge part and that it is not possible for me to continue to play a character which has been piloted in another direction of choices than those I would have made on the final, and because I can not accept to deal with such an attempt to my RP liberty as owner of my char

I announce that I permanently step down of this RP, I won't explain why the VP suddently became inexisting because if I make him resign It would mean I accept what has been made, and this I can’t. 

However I will continue to play on the 1988 RP with Reagan04! Because I love to RP since years, but I also have strong proper rules

I wish an excellent game to the others as also to Vcczar who is truly dedicated in)

@Conservative Elector 2 Since Sami has left the RP, he's effectively killed off his character. Put his birthday as 1751 (Sami had mentioned him being 45 for the 1796 election). His birthday place is probably NYC. Let's say he died a month into (April) Aldridge's presidency, since he left the RP as soon as the results were made. The VP would be "None" for the rest of Aldridge's first term. 

@Lyly What is the birthyear, place, and future deathyear for Henderson?

@Reagan04 I've already calculated the results of your term. I hope to have them up tomorrow when I can organize it all. 

@Conservative Elector 2 Not meaning to nitpick, but the Start of my Senate term would be March 4th, 1795. Either way great job!

3 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

@Conservative Elector 2 Not meaning to nitpick, but the Start of my Senate term would be March 4th, 1795. Either way great job!

Since you said you were elected in 1794 I thought you would "play" his role :D https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Ross_(Pennsylvania_politician)

But I will change it asap. However, I will not spam the thread so I will just post the updates after each election.

Okaz @vcczar

5 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Since you said you were elected in 1794 I thought you would "play" his role:D https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Ross_(Pennsylvania_politician)

Interesting find! I did not know of him! I just meant I was elected in the midterms of 1794 and inaugurated with the 4th Senate. Very cool find!

President Aldridge's first term results, 1801-1805:
Aldridge presided during the Louisiana Purchase and during the entrance of the new state of Ohio. Economically, Aldridge cut taxes, a luxury he was afforded as industry in the North is now generating revenue through the tariffs. The Fries Rebellion, which took up most of former President Lewis's term, dissipated as they were happy with the lowering of Taxes as well as happy with a president that was more in line with their views, since Aldridge was from both their state and from the party they favored. The only failures for Aldridge's agenda is that 1) Congress denied his request for a restrictive immigration bill, and 2) the paying off of the debt was put on hold for the rest of his term to pay for the Louisiana Purchase. Some of the lingering questions from this term include: 1) Will the president or next president punish the Fries Rebellion leaders? 2) Will debt payment continue 3) Will we still continue to pay tribute to the pirates 4) Will we increase the size of our navy so that we can eventually protect our own ships. 

State of the Union 

National Strength: 3rd-tier country, but on the rise! The US now includes KY, VT, TN, and OH with land cleared for settlement in future IN, and land currently being cleared in future IL, MO, MS, AL. Aldridge purchased the Louisiana Territory from Napoleon, which should make us prosperous as it includes the port city of New Orleans! An expedition is being sent west to estimate the value of the land as far as the eye can see. Aldridge’s small investment will likely only see them get up to future CO, but not over the mountains. 

Military Strength: Weak, a professional army of 5,000 mean and a professional navy of 3 ships. 

Foreign Affairs: The British are still unofficially impressing our sailors into their navy, and tensions have increased now that we have given France, "Most Favored Trading Partner," a title which Britain now must share with France. To the credit of Britain, they have refrained from retaliating against us for now, allowing profitable trade to sail to both shores. We still give tribute to the Barbary Pirates to protect our ships from pirate attacks. Relations with Spain, a decaying empire, are positive. 

Military: The Fries Rebellion ended with the president’s decision to lower taxes. A few militia men guard against potential Indian attacks in the frontier. 

Economy: Low medium, but growing. New England is now moderately industrialized and generating revenue through the tariff system. We are still in debt, and have put a hold on paying back the debt, so that we could purchase Louisiana. Debt payment should resume next term. The outlook is hopeful, as revenue is coming in through tariff and and some remaining taxation. The South is very agrarian, but profitable for the people and now the country as recent inventions allow greater production of cotton. Britain is buying it up in large numbers.  The agrarian sectors are critical of our current economic policies.

Trade: Protective Tariff allows for industrial growth in New England as well as revenue. The South opposes this tariff as it somewhat restricts their profits. About 80% of our international trade is via Britain, 10% is via France, and 10% via the rest of Europe. The Pirates are being paid tribute, so we are free from attacks. 

Budget: Small, but growing. 80% of revenue comes from Tariffs, 10% through tax, 10% through other. About 40% of our budget is going to military upkeep and creation and to protect the boarders and depend against the tax rebels. 20% was going to paying off the national debt, but was used to purchase Louisiana.  20% is going to government upkeep. 20% is now surplus as of this year. Taxes has been reduced but increased industrial production in the north, with the aid of the protective tariff, makes up for the loss of tax money. 

Social Harmony: Tension has been somewhat alleviated with the end of the Fries Rebellion. Slight tension between Northern and Southern economies and world view. Some Northerners are upset about the Fugitive Slave Act as contradicts their Free State status. The Jay Treaty, which is wildly supported in New England, has increased tensions, most prominently in the South and West. The Sedition Acts signed by Lewis have been repealed by Aldridge. 

Immigration: Limited. Mostly Protestant Scots-Irish, Protestant French, and a few Protestant Germans arrive, but they do not yet pose a danger to our more English-descent Protestant Culture. More dangerous to our culture are the French and Spanish people we inherited through the Louisiana Purchase. New Orleans is practically a foreign city in our boarders. Aldridge called for a restrictive immigration act, despite his party’s pro-immigrant stance. While roundly supportive of his policies, Congress refused to pass such a bill, leaving immigration lenient. 

Mood of the people: Mostly positive and proud with mild grumblings in the North and in some of the Midatlantic. 

Popularity of the Incumbent: Republican supporters are enthusiastic that they have finally taken power. Even most Federalists respect Aldridge’s ability to lead and balance his ideas with sound monetary knowledge. 

Party Power: The Senate is now majority Republican. The US House has a Republican majority. Governorships are overwhelmingly Republican, except in New England. 

@WVProgressive @Reagan04  @Kingthero @vcczar @Rodja @Conservative Elector 2 @LokiLoki22 @Lyly @TheMiddlePolitical

@Illinois Moderate

Will Repubican President Aldridge run for the presidency for a 2nd term? Who else will run for president? Remember, the 12th Amendment has passes, so we now operate with Pres/VP tickets, unless someone wants to challenge the incumbent at the Convention. [Please create a first and last name for your character, a home state, their office, their party (Fed or Rep), and some sort of response to Aldridge's presidency that will allow us to see your potential platform. You have 24 hours to make a candidate. Please quote this entire message when responding to this or your nomination will not count.]

6 minutes ago, vcczar said:
Aldridge presided during the Louisiana Purchase and during the entrance of the new state of Ohio. Economically, Aldridge cut taxes, a luxury he was afforded as industry in the North is now generating revenue through the tariffs. The Fries Rebellion, which took up most of former President Lewis's term, dissipated as they were happy with the lowering of Taxes as well as happy with a president that was more in line with their views, since Aldridge was from both their state and from the party they favored. The only failures for Aldridge's agenda is that 1) Congress denied his request for a restrictive immigration bill, and 2) the paying off of the debt was put on hold for the rest of his term to pay for the Louisiana Purchase. Some of the lingering questions from this term include: 1) Will the president or next president punish the Fries Rebellion leaders? 2) Will debt payment continue 3) Will we still continue to pay tribute to the pirates 4) Will we increase the size of our navy so that we can eventually protect our own ships. 

State of the Union 

National Strength: 3rd-tier country, but on the rise! The US now includes KY, VT, TN, and OH with land cleared for settlement in future IN, and land currently being cleared in future IL, MO, MS, AL. Aldridge purchased the Louisiana Territory from Napoleon, which should make us prosperous as it includes the port city of New Orleans! An expedition is being sent west to estimate the value of the land as far as the eye can see. Aldridge’s small investment will likely only see them get up to future CO, but not over the mountains. 

Military Strength: Weak, a professional army of 5,000 mean and a professional navy of 3 ships. 

Foreign Affairs: The British are still unofficially impressing our sailors into their navy, and tensions have increased now that we have given France, "Most Favored Trading Partner," a title which Britain now must share with France. To the credit of Britain, they have refrained from retaliating against us for now, allowing profitable trade to sail to both shores. We still give tribute to the Barbary Pirates to protect our ships from pirate attacks. Relations with Spain, a decaying empire, are positive. 

Military: The Fries Rebellion ended with the president’s decision to lower taxes. A few militia men guard against potential Indian attacks in the frontier. 

Economy: Low medium, but growing. New England is now moderately industrialized and generating revenue through the tariff system. We are still in debt, and have put a hold on paying back the debt, so that we could purchase Louisiana. Debt payment should resume next term. The outlook is hopeful, as revenue is coming in through tariff and and some remaining taxation. The South is very agrarian, but profitable for the people and now the country as recent inventions allow greater production of cotton. Britain is buying it up in large numbers.  The agrarian sectors are critical of our current economic policies.

Trade: Protective Tariff allows for industrial growth in New England as well as revenue. The South opposes this tariff as it somewhat restricts their profits. About 80% of our international trade is via Britain, 10% is via France, and 10% via the rest of Europe. The Pirates are being paid tribute, so we are free from attacks. 

Budget: Small, but growing. 80% of revenue comes from Tariffs, 10% through tax, 10% through other. About 40% of our budget is going to military upkeep and creation and to protect the boarders and depend against the tax rebels. 20% was going to paying off the national debt, but was used to purchase Louisiana.  20% is going to government upkeep. 20% is now surplus as of this year. Taxes has been reduced but increased industrial production in the north, with the aid of the protective tariff, makes up for the loss of tax money. 

Social Harmony: Tension has been somewhat alleviated with the end of the Fries Rebellion. Slight tension between Northern and Southern economies and world view. Some Northerners are upset about the Fugitive Slave Act as contradicts their Free State status. The Jay Treaty, which is wildly supported in New England, has increased tensions, most prominently in the South and West. The Sedition Acts signed by Lewis have been repealed by Aldridge. 

Immigration: Limited. Mostly Protestant Scots-Irish, Protestant French, and a few Protestant Germans arrive, but they do not yet pose a danger to our more English-descent Protestant Culture. More dangerous to our culture are the French and Spanish people we inherited through the Louisiana Purchase. New Orleans is practically a foreign city in our boarders. Aldridge called for a restrictive immigration act, despite his party’s pro-immigrant stance. While roundly supportive of his policies, Congress refused to pass such a bill, leaving immigration lenient. 

Mood of the people: Mostly positive and proud with mild grumblings in the North and in some of the Midatlantic. 

Popularity of the Incumbent: Republican supporters are enthusiastic that they have finally taken power. Even most Federalists respect Aldridge’s ability to lead and balance his ideas with sound monetary knowledge. 

Party Power: The Senate is now majority Republican. The US House has a Republican majority. Governorships are overwhelmingly Republican, except in New England. 

@WVProgressive @Reagan04  @Kingthero @vcczar @Rodja @Conservative Elector 2 @LokiLoki22 @Lyly @TheMiddlePolitical

@Illinois Moderate

Will Repubican President Aldridge run for the presidency for a 2nd term? Who else will run for president? Remember, the 12th Amendment has passes, so we now operate with Pres/VP tickets, unless someone wants to challenge the incumbent at the Convention. [Please create a first and last name for your character, a home state, their office, their party (Fed or Rep), and some sort of response to Aldridge's presidency that will allow us to see your potential platform. You have 24 hours to make a candidate. Please quote this entire message when responding to this or your nomination will not count.]

Governor Bigelow of Virginia will not challenge President Aldridge @Reagan04 for the Republican nomination and endorses him to remain President. However, he would not decline the offer to become Vice President.

Will post the platform later if needed for VP.

1 hour ago, Reagan04 said:

Interesting find! I did not know of him! I just meant I was elected in the midterms of 1794 and inaugurated with the 4th Senate. Very cool find!

OOC: Thanks, ok. I can change the date of course.

((Jacob William Henderson, born: 1736 died: 1802))

1 minute ago, Lyly said:

((Jacob William Henderson, born: 1736 died: 1802))

Thanks I will update it.

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

State of the Union 

@Illinois Moderate

President Aldridge announces he will run for a second term! He will run on continuing to pay down the debt and dealing with the organization of the new Louisiana territory. He promises to give the same guiding, Republican hand that has stewarded the nation effectively for the last term.

Frederick "Fred" Wiliams announces running for President again!

State:Massachusets

Political Party:Federalist

Current Proffesion:Revolutionary War hero and freshman Senator from Massachusets

Issues:

Military Strenght:Make our army stronger by expanding it to 15.000 from current 5.000 and navy to 5 ships.

Foreign:Take France away Most Favored Nation status and get closer to Britain.

Military:Harshly prosecute Fries rebels!

Economy:Make moves to spread industralization to South.

If I cannot get a VP for @Rodja then I will play his VP on the ticket (but I will remain silent and never run for president). 

@Reagan04 if in the morning you could selected your preferred VP for your potential second term, then that would be great. 

@vcczar Should i make a fictional VP or should it be other player from the RP

26 minutes ago, Rodja said:

@vcczar Should i make a fictional VP or should it be other player from the RP

Ideally another RP; however, you can make a fictional one (one not from Massachusetts) if no one volunteers by tomorrow morning. 

7 hours ago, vcczar said:

State of the Union 

@Illinois Moderate

3 hours ago, Rodja said:

Frederick "Fred" Wiliams announces running for President again!

State:Massachusets

Political Party:Federalist

Current Proffesion:Revolutionary War hero and freshman Senator from Massachusets

Issues:

Military Strenght:Make our army stronger by expanding it to 15.000 from current 5.000 and navy to 5 ships.

Foreign:Take France away Most Favored Nation status and get closer to Britain.

Military:Harshly prosecute Fries rebels!

Economy:Make moves to spread industralization to South.

Alexander Bunt Jr. Senior Senator from Virginia and son of Fmr. President Bunt volunteers for the number two spot.

Bunt, heir apparent to his fathers legacy, is a peculiar Federalist politician. He favors expanded suffrage for all white men, federal funding for Internal Improvement, expansionism, a more balanced tariff, and more money for the Lewis & Clark expedition as the main cornerstones of his platform. 

@Rodja @vcczar

9 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

Alexander Bunt Jr. Senior Senator from Virginia and son of Fmr. President Bunt volunteers for the number two spot.

Bunt, heir apparent to his fathers legacy, is a peculiar Federalist politician. He favors expanded suffrage for all white men, federal funding for Internal Improvement, expansionism, a more balanced tariff, and more money for the Lewis & Clark expedition as the main cornerstones of his platform. 

@Rodja @vcczar

Excellent, so it seems like it will be Williams/Bunt for the Federalist ticket. And then Aldridge, possibly Bigelow, for the VP position, if @Reagan04 excepts Bigelow's willingness to be VP. 

On ‎2018‎-‎04‎-‎30 at 8:27 PM, Reagan04 said:

This is America, we do not negotiate with terrorists. This is what I will tell the Public of course. On the side, we will pass a tax cut through the Republican-controlled House as it was a signature of my platform. This should act as a marker of good faith for the rebels. If even after this tax cut, they refuse to disperse, we will have no choice but to move in our professional forces.

The word "terrorist" was not in the parlance of usage in the late 18th/early 19th Century at all. The word didn't exist and hadn't been coined, especially to be quoted in the manner of reference to a long-standing and frequently, even casually, used and understood term as it's used above. I don't believe the term was first coined, in fact, until it was used for the Fennians or the Anarchists, both of whom got started in the LATE 18th Century. Pedantic and technical note courtesy of Patine. :P

37 minutes ago, Patine said:

The word "terrorist" was not in the parlance of usage in the late 18th/early 19th Century at all. The word didn't exist and hadn't been coined, especially to be quoted in the manner of reference to a long-standing and frequently, even casually, used and understood term as it's used above. I don't believe the term was first coined, in fact, until it was used for the Fennians or the Anarchists, both of whom got started in the LATE 18th Century. Pedantic and technical note courtesy of Patine. :P

I think the term was based on the Reign of Terror in France, but maybe after the fact. I'm generally not going to correct the RPers in their language, since no one is speaking/writing in a 18th or 19th century style. I allow modernization for the sake of clarity and for the benefit of a 21st century cyber audience on this board. I think only you and I would probably understand anything written legitimately in a 19th century tongue without misinterpretation or the need for rereading.