270soft Forum
vcczar

New Historical President RP

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Thanks. We now need a Federalist challenger to try and take on Aldridge's 3rd term bid. Please look at the State of the Union I recently posted to build a platform  that might appeal to voters. 

Would you like me to further build a platform or is that targeted at the Federalists?

Secretary of War Yates Announces he will be Endorsing Aldridge for his Third Term

"Aldridge has been good for the west, the people I represent, and therefore there is no reason for me to stand in his way. He is a good man, and will continue to serve our country strong!"

1 hour ago, vcczar said:
State of the Union 1808/1809 (End of Aldridge's 2nd term)

National Strength: 3rd-tier country, but on the rise! The US now includes KY, VT, TN, and OH with land mostly cleared for settlement up to the Mississippi River. An expedition was sent west to estimate the value of the land as far as the eye can see, but government funding only got them as far as the Rockies. What lies beyond the Rockies is unknown. The expedition came back with reports proving that the explored territory, technically under European control, is immensely valuable. 

Military Strength: Weak, a professional army of 5,000 men and a professional navy of 3 ships. Aldridge has allowed some funding, and we should have 3 more warships at the end of this coming term. 

Foreign Affairs: Issues over trade favoritism, as well as conditions with the Napoleonic War have led to both British and French navies harrassing our ships and occasionally impressing our sailors for service in their navies. We still give tribute to the Barbary Pirates to protect our ships from pirate attacks. Relations with Spain have improved, but the country is expected to fall to France. 

Military: A few militia men guard against potential Indian attacks in the frontier. The professional army is being used for Indian Removal

Economy: Medium size, and growing. New England is now moderately industrialized and generating revenue through the tariff system. The outlook is hopeful, as revenue is coming in through tariff and and some remaining taxation. We are still in debt, but debt has resumed, with an expected 1828 payoff date. The South is very agrarian, but profitable for the people and now the country as recent inventions allow greater production of cotton. Britain is buying it up in large numbers. The agrarian sectors are critical of our current economic policies.

Trade: Protective Tariff allows for industrial growth in New England as well as revenue. The South opposes this tariff as it somewhat restricts their profits. About 80% of our international trade is via Britain, 10% is via France, and 10% via the rest of Europe. The Pirates are being paid tribute, so we are free from attacks. 

Budget: Medium-sized and growing, mostly through tariff revenue. 80% of revenue comes from Tariffs, 10% through tax, 10% through other. About 60% of our budget is going to military upkeep and creation and to protect the boarders, and toward the creation of 3 more warships. 20% is going to paying off the national debt.  20% is going to government upkeep. Taxes has been reduced but increased industrial production in the north, with the aid of the protective tariff, makes up for the loss of tax money. 

Social Harmony: Slight tension between Northern and Southern economies and world view. Some Northerners are upset about the Fugitive Slave Act as contradicts their Free State status. The Slave Trade has been banned, which is mostly accepted everywhere except for South Carolina. 

Immigration: Limited. Mostly Protestant Scots-Irish, Protestant French, and a few Protestant Germans arrive, but they do not yet pose a danger to our more English-descent Protestant Culture. More dangerous to our culture are the French and Spanish people we inherited through the Louisiana Purchase. New Orleans is practically a foreign city in our boarders.

Mood of the people: Mostly positive and proud with mild grumblings in the North and in some of the Midatlantic. 

Popularity of the Incumbent: Aldridge has proved to be very popular in the South and West, despite occasionally holding to policies more popular with the Mid-Atlantic and New England, where he is respected as well.  

Party Power: The Senate is majority Republican. The US House has a Republican majority. Governorships are overwhelmingly Republican, except in New England. 

Will Aldridge ( @Reagan04) run for a 3rd term? If not, who will be the Republican nominee? Who will be the Federalist nominee? 

Thank you, I proudly accept the nomination to become Vice President again. 

OOC. I was sick the last days and I have an exam tomorrow so I could not post as much as I wanted.

We need someone to run as the Federalist candidate to oppose Alridge's 3rd term. Aldridge is popular, but there will be a fatigue die roll in each state, which could help a Federalist that runs on a good platform (see the latest State of the Union post): 

@WVProgressive @Reagan04 @Kingthero @vcczar @Rodja @Conservative Elector 2 @LokiLoki22 @Lyly @TheMiddlePolitical

@Illinois Moderate

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

National Strength: 3rd-tier country, but on the rise! The US now includes KY, VT, TN, and OH with land mostly cleared for settlement up to the Mississippi River. An expedition was sent west to estimate the value of the land as far as the eye can see, but government funding only got them as far as the Rockies. What lies beyond the Rockies is unknown. The expedition came back with reports proving that the explored territory, technically under European control, is immensely valuable. 

Military Strength: Weak, a professional army of 5,000 men and a professional navy of 3 ships. Aldridge has allowed some funding, and we should have 3 more warships at the end of this coming term. 

Foreign Affairs: Issues over trade favoritism, as well as conditions with the Napoleonic War have led to both British and French navies harrassing our ships and occasionally impressing our sailors for service in their navies. We still give tribute to the Barbary Pirates to protect our ships from pirate attacks. Relations with Spain have improved, but the country is expected to fall to France. 

Military: A few militia men guard against potential Indian attacks in the frontier. The professional army is being used for Indian Removal

Economy: Medium size, and growing. New England is now moderately industrialized and generating revenue through the tariff system. The outlook is hopeful, as revenue is coming in through tariff and and some remaining taxation. We are still in debt, but debt has resumed, with an expected 1828 payoff date. The South is very agrarian, but profitable for the people and now the country as recent inventions allow greater production of cotton. Britain is buying it up in large numbers. The agrarian sectors are critical of our current economic policies.

Trade: Protective Tariff allows for industrial growth in New England as well as revenue. The South opposes this tariff as it somewhat restricts their profits. About 80% of our international trade is via Britain, 10% is via France, and 10% via the rest of Europe. The Pirates are being paid tribute, so we are free from attacks. 

Budget: Medium-sized and growing, mostly through tariff revenue. 80% of revenue comes from Tariffs, 10% through tax, 10% through other. About 60% of our budget is going to military upkeep and creation and to protect the boarders, and toward the creation of 3 more warships. 20% is going to paying off the national debt.  20% is going to government upkeep. Taxes has been reduced but increased industrial production in the north, with the aid of the protective tariff, makes up for the loss of tax money. 

Social Harmony: Slight tension between Northern and Southern economies and world view. Some Northerners are upset about the Fugitive Slave Act as contradicts their Free State status. The Slave Trade has been banned, which is mostly accepted everywhere except for South Carolina. 

Immigration: Limited. Mostly Protestant Scots-Irish, Protestant French, and a few Protestant Germans arrive, but they do not yet pose a danger to our more English-descent Protestant Culture. More dangerous to our culture are the French and Spanish people we inherited through the Louisiana Purchase. New Orleans is practically a foreign city in our boarders.

Mood of the people: Mostly positive and proud with mild grumblings in the North and in some of the Midatlantic. 

Popularity of the Incumbent: Aldridge has proved to be very popular in the South and West, despite occasionally holding to policies more popular with the Mid-Atlantic and New England, where he is respected as well.  

Party Power: The Senate is majority Republican. The US House has a Republican majority. Governorships are overwhelmingly Republican, except in New England. 

Will Aldridge ( @Reagan04) run for a 3rd term? If not, who will be the Republican nominee? Who will be the Federalist nominee? 

Sen. Alexander Bunt Jr. announces presidential run

Party: Federalist

Platform

Expansion: We should take every advantage to expand our growing country, for this is our destiny. Give more funds to the Lewis and Clark expedition to help them over the mountains.  

Tariffs:  Try to make the tariff more fair to the south but still able to help grow and protect our industry

Europe: Negotiate to end impressment. The Napoleonic Wars are a European war and as such we should remain neutral, and as a neutral power we have certain rights that must be respected.  

Indians: Civilized tribes, those willing to adopt a European way of life, should be treated just like we treat any other non-voting citizen

Suffrage:  All white men over the age of 21 should be allowed to vote regardless of property holding.

Internal Improvements: This will help all regions of America, it increases our export capacity, decreases travel danger, and accentuate our natural advantages. Funding for this should be the responsibility of both the government and private citizens 

Barbary Pirates: Use our new navy, and army, as well as regional rivalries, to take the fight to the pirates and punish them.

@vcczar

39 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

Indians: Civilized tribes, those willing to adopt a European way of life, should be treated just like we treat any other non-voting citizen

OOC: The poor Native Americans. Screwed over so badly and treated so cavalierly and poorly in their own homeland for over 500 years since Christopher Columbus, whom many Native rights advocates are labelling "the First Illegal Immigrant," landed in the Western Hemisphere...

@WVProgressive @Reagan04 @Kingthero @vcczar @Rodja @Conservative Elector 2 @LokiLoki22 @Lyly @TheMiddlePolitical

@Illinois Moderate

We are now looking for a Federalist VP nominee for Alexander Bunt Jr. 

@Patine I agree with what you say regarding the Native Americans. One wonders how they would have faired if both John Adams and JQ Adams had won a second terms. 

4 hours ago, vcczar said:

Silas Baldwin
Governor, State of Delaware
Federalist

Governor Baldwin seeks to be a unifying force between sectional interests and runs for President on a platform of sovereignty, prosperity, and liberty. In financing the young federal government, Baldwin would approve of new tariffs only if economic conditions worsened and has made a point to praise the fiscal dexterity of the Aldrige administration. The Governor has put forward the possibility that if new tariffs are to be enacted on behalf of northern interests, that certain Southern ports be exempted from such additional taxes. Additionally, new tariffs would be approved only for case-by-case imports and would be limited in time and scope to accommodate a single specified purpose. Internationally, free trade must be guaranteed and over-reliance on British trade would be curtailed, where appropriate, to avoid dependency in the future. France and Britain are viewed as equally important trading partners, but neither are to be trusted to guarantee access to the international economy or to impress upon the rights of our merchants. New negotiations should be opened with the British court to ensure American access to fishing waters and to begin to clear up the messy borders in the frontier. Privately, Baldwin would like to investigate the possibility of acquiring Canada as a whole, eliminating the border problem altogether. The pirates of the Barbary Coast should be quelled once and for all as soon as our navy is built and trained.

Baldwin advocates western expansionism and has called for a system of forts across the frontier to pacify the territorial regions. The US Army should secure what territory has been cleared already with these forts and by constructing roads into the new Western region. If, and as, funding for the military and related expenses decreases, future funding should focus on building infrastructure - ports, canals, and roads, in order of importance. Public lands in the territories should be allotted favorably to any military veterans and their families and sold cheaply to all others. Baldwin would seek to establish a national land sales agency to handle the payments received. Additional funds from these sales would offset debt payments and could be used to support immigration to Louisiana by English-speakers. Governor Baldwin also favors re-opening immigration restrictions and possibly pushing for a return to shorter residency requirements to become a naturalized American citizen.

((Sorry for the late reply. I've had this guy drawn up for a while and was waiting for the right election, but I don't care if its used for Pres or Veep.))

18 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@Illinois Moderate

We are now looking for a Federalist VP nominee for Alexander Bunt Jr. 

@Patine I agree with what you say regarding the Native Americans. One wonders how they would have faired if both John Adams and JQ Adams had won a second terms. 

Would you like me to make a formal platform or is that short blurb, my experience, and what I have done in office a platform enough for you?

24 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Would you like me to make a formal platform or is that short blurb, my experience, and what I have done in office a platform enough for you?

That's up to you. For the most part, I figure you are running on your record, which would be popular at the time. I wouldn't announce too much unless you wish to depart from your usual platform or if you wish to address something very urgent. 

8 minutes ago, vcczar said:

That's up to you. For the most part, I figure you are running on your record, which would be popular at the time. I wouldn't announce too much unless you wish to depart from your usual platform or if you wish to address something very urgent. 

Yeah, I figured, I'm running on my record, the American people know where I stand on the major issues.

Federalist Party Adapts and Evolves

Since both Bunt and Baldwin depart from the historical Federalist Party in many ways, taking on a more Whig-like/National Republican platform, I am going to say that the Federalist Party has adapted and evolved, and won't just dwindle out, as was the case in real life. This is not too unlike how the major parties today have evolved. 

Therefore, the Federalists will remain a competitive party for some time. 

@Illinois Moderate

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

Federalist Party Adapts and Evolves

Since both Bunt and Baldwin depart from the historical Federalist Party in many ways, taking on a more Whig-like/National Republican platform, I am going to say that the Federalist Party has adapted and evolved, and won't just dwindle out, as was the case in real life. This is not too unlike how the major parties today have evolved. 

Therefore, the Federalists will remain a competitive party for some time. 

@Illinois Moderate

Interesting. I am a very Jeffersonian/Reaganite/Coolidgian person with my IRL politics, so having my term overlap with Jefferson's would mean that the Republicans would stay the historical course.

The 1808 Presidential Election

Aldridge-PA/Bigelow-VA (Republicans): Aldridge is running on his record, which has proven popular in the South and West. Although, SC is mildly disgruntled. He is well respected even in the North; although, New England opposes most of his policies. While popular, there is some mild fatigue with an Aldridge presidency, and some fears, since he is only 45, that he may run indefinitely. Aldridge is the favorite to win the election, nonetheless. 

Bunt-VA/Baldwin-DE (Federalists): The Federalist Caucus selects Bunt over Baldwin, and Bunt immediately tabs Baldwin as his VP nominee, which is accepted. The Federalist Party has adapted and evolved under Bunt's (son of our first president) leadership. The Federalist maintain their adherence to nationalism and modernization, but have now accepted expansionism, tariff adjustments, and have now moved left of the Republicans on the suffrage issue. Additionally, they are more militant than the Republicans, hoping to exert military muscle in any area where American rights are disrespected. Unlike Republicans, they aim to civilize Indians, rather than remove them. Federalists, therefore, are making huge efforts to gain support in the South and West. Will it work? Can the Federalists convince the voters that expanding the military, funding federal improvements, while lowering the tariffs and paying off the debt is economically possible? Federalists are likely to take New England (although, they aren't happy with the party's moderation). They will be competitive in the Mid-Atlantic states and Virginia. There is an off-chance of South Carolina going Federalist, but it is unlikely. The West is also unlikely. The rest of the South is still adamantly opposed to Federalists. 

1808 Election Results:

MA: Bunt 19

NH: Bunt 7

VT: Bunt 6

RI: Bunt 4

CT: Bunt 9

NY: Bunt 19

NJ: Bunt 8

DE: Bunt 3

PA: Bunt 20

MD: Aldridge 11

VA: Aldridge 24

NC: Aldridge 13

SC: Aldridge 10

GA: Aldridge 6

OH: Aldridge 3

KY: Aldridge 7

TN: Aldridge 5

Bunt/Baldwin 95 EVs *Bunt is the new president of the United States!* @WVProgressive @Lyly

Aldridge/Bigelow 79 EVs

[Note: This was an odd election. Based off the die rolls, it's possible that Aldridge won the popular vote, but not the EC. Aldridge won the states that he won in landslides, except for Virginia, which probably rolled what was a 55% of the vote. For Federalists, they had easy victories in every state except for PA and NY, both of which they barely won. NY was an expected easy victory, which was barely won, and PA was a tossup, which it proved to be. I would estimate that Aldridge won 53 to 55% of the PV and lost the election. Perhaps election reform becomes an issue.]

Congrats to President Bunt and VP Baldwin! All the best to Pres. Aldridge and VP Bigelow. Despite the electoral defeat, their presidency is likely to be considered one of great success for their party. Aldridge or Bigelow could easily return without having the label of being a loser. Alternatively, they could pull a Jackson and say that the "Will of the People" has been deprived, as had happened in real life in 1824, and 1876, and 1888, and 2000, and 2016.

Up next: Events and Decisions 1809-1813 for A. Bunt's 1st term. 

President Aldridge congratulates President-Elect Bunt and concedes humbly. He stressed that he lost fair and square and that the electoral college is one of the most beautiful systems of representing the people ever contrived and he will always rush to its defense. On that note, he also urges the Republicans and Federalists to expand Suffrage to all white males regardless of property as he had supported and as the Federalists support. He also announces he will probably not run for President again, but could seek another term in the Senate hoping to regain a Leadership position in the nation or perhaps he would accept a nomination to the Supreme Court.

30 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

President Aldridge congratulates President-Elect Bunt and concedes humbly. He stressed that he lost fair and square and that the electoral college is one of the most beautiful systems of representing the people ever contrived and he will always rush to its defense. On that note, he also urges the Republicans and Federalists to expand Suffrage to all white males regardless of property as he had supported and as the Federalists support. He also announces he will not run for President again, but could seek another term in the Senate hoping to regain a Leadership position in the nation or perhaps he would accept a nomination to the Supreme Court.

[OCC: You'll probably be strongly urged to run again, if Bunt II can't keep the country afloat. So don't feel bad if you have to contradict this stance. I see some tough decisions arising.]

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

[OCC: You'll probably be strongly urged to run again, if Bunt II can't keep the country afloat. So don't feel bad if you have to contradict this stance. I see some tough decisions arising.]

OOC: Fixed;)

40 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

President Aldridge congratulates President-Elect Bunt and concedes humbly. He stressed that he lost fair and square and that the electoral college is one of the most beautiful systems of representing the people ever contrived and he will always rush to its defense. On that note, he also urges the Republicans and Federalists to expand Suffrage to all white males regardless of property as he had supported and as the Federalists support. He also announces he will not run for President again, but could seek another term in the Senate hoping to regain a Leadership position in the nation or perhaps he would accept a nomination to the Supreme Court.

Vice President Bigelow congratulates the new President as well. ''Sadly the people were not as happy with our work, as we were. The Democratic-Republican Party will respect this although many of my friends and I thought that it would be very necessary to keep a strong executive in office to provide America a more prosperous future. It was a great honour to serve as your Vice President for four years and I hope that we will meet again soon. If President Aldridge will run again, I will not challenge him and would serve as Vice President again if he wants me to serve again. If not I will certainly challenge President Bunt Jr. in four years. In the mean time I will seek Virginia's Senate seat in order to be a vocal opposition politician to President Bunt Jr. Nevertheless I wish him all the best to guide our nation through a time of great challenges. Thank you and God bless you all. ''

((Wow! That was a close one indeed. Federalists are pretty interesting in this timeline, especially because they've just elected another President out of Virginia from their own party. Neither Pres nor Veep are even from New England, also. All in all, this seems like kind of a last-ditch effort for the Federalists. Things could get pretty nasty if our administration can't pull it off.))

2 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

Interesting. I am a very Jeffersonian/Reaganite/Coolidgian person with my IRL politics, so having my term overlap with Jefferson's would mean that the Republicans would stay the historical course.

((Yeah, it seems the Presidents have been historically on-track so far. Electing another Federalist is probably the biggest single divergence we'll have taken so far. The political implications in this timeline are pretty interesting.))

OOC: Do we already know birth dates and places and election dates for the former offices of our newly elected leader? @WVProgressive  @vcczar  @Conservative Elector 2 @Lyly 

((Baldwin was born 1770. 1807 was the most recent gubernatorial in Delaware, so he won't be finishing that term.))

@WVProgressive  @vcczar  @Conservative Elector 2 @Lyly  @Reagan04 Players should probably give a death date too. This time we don't have to ask for it again, and if they become president, we know if they die in office or not. Please put location of birth and death

16 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@WVProgressive  @vcczar  @Conservative Elector 2 @Lyly  @Reagan04 Players should probably give a death date too. This time we don't have to ask for it again, and if they become president, we know if they die in office or not. Please put location of birth and death

Born, February 21, 1762 Allentown, Pennsylvania

Died, July 19, 1841 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania