Jump to content
270soft Forum
vcczar

New Historical President RP

Recommended Posts

Representative Henry Weaver dies on February 6th 1913 at the age of 79 in Des Moines, Iowa while visiting his daughter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MBDemSoc said:

Representative Henry Weaver dies on February 6th 1913 at the age of 79 in Des Moines, Iowa while visiting his daughter.

Will create a Socialist Labor candidate after the 1904 Alt Election is done in my thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Kingthero said:

Note that just like IRL, the President can still do stuff during elections, so feel free to do stuff.

 

 

State of the Union for Election of 1916
 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

National Strength: We rank 4th in the list of the top 10 countries: Russia, Great Britain, Germany,  United States, Japan, Italy, France, Austria, Mexico, Canada. Mexican coups, along with a growing economy, have led to our rise.

Military Strength: Our professional army is 60,000 men and 58 ships, with a reserve army of 120,000 men solely for defense. We have naval bases in Hawaii, Cuba, and Panama. We are currently building bases on French Polynesia and St Pierre and Miquelon.

Foreign Affairs: We are currently arming the Republican/Monarchist faction in the Mexican coup. The current stance of the Mexican Civil War is 45% R/M 40% RCT/F and 15% C.

Military: Our military is semi-active. Our navy is blockading the Gulf of Mexico, and our army is helping secure goods across the US-Mexican border.

Economy: The economy has stagnated, and the U.S. has joined the rest of the world in a minor decline.

Trade: We trade 20% with non-European powers, 25% with Britain, 25% with Germany, and 30% with other non-radical European powers. Trade is still growing regardless of the economic condition.

Budget: Our budget is currently balanced, with a only 5% of our spending going to paying off our debt, aimed to be paid off by 1940. Our budget consists of the income of 23% taxes 37% tariff 28% overseas territories/canals and 12% nationalized industries, and the expenditure of 60% military 10% gov. upkeep 15% infrastructure 10% disaster aid and 5% debt repayment.

Social Harmony: The country is basically united, however there are grumbles in the Asian minority and wage workers groups.

Immigration: Immigration is still 1# and the world, and has stayed consistent in the past four years.

Mood of the people: The mood of the people is below average. People are growing disillusioned with the Government and are angry about the economy.

Party Power: Conservatives took a sharp loss in midterms, and is projected to gain few seats. Liberals are projected to win a plurality in Congress.

Popularity of the Incumbent: The president is unpopular, ending with a 35% approval rating and 57% disapproval rating.

**************

Name and office:

Age:

Party:

Resident state: 

VP nominee: 

Platform (see State of the Union):

6

Name and office: Laurence Kirkpatrick, Socialist Writer and Political Activist (Essentially George Ross Kirkpatrick).

Race and gender, if other than white male: White Male.

Party: Socialist Labor Party.

Resident state: New Jersey (Born in Ohio).

Platform (see State of the Union): 

National Strength: Aim to move up one or two ranks in the top 10 country rankings.

Military Strength: Maintain the military and navy at the troop and ship levels they are currently at if the budget allows for it. Maintain naval bases in Hawaii, Cuba and Panama if those nations consent to them being maintained, withdraw from them if consent is not given. Halt the construction of military bases in French Polynesia & St Pierre and Miquelon invest in civillian infrastructure there instead. 

Foreign Affairs: Enact a policy of strict neutrality only engage in warfare if we are attacked or for humanitarian reasons (Or in exceptional circumstances). Withdraw support from the monarchists in the Mexican Civil War, continue support for the republicans but stop arms sales to them but send military advisors to train their armies instead. Establish friendly diplomatic relations with Socialist Italy.

Military: Have the military and navy perform training exercises to be prepared for possible attacks or potential humanitarian intervention, stop the blockade in the Gulf of Mexico.

Economy: Try and institute a progressive tax system, attempt to have at least one state-owned company in each industry and encourage the creation of workers co-operatives, institute a national 8-hour working day and give all workers two days off at the end of the week (Saturday and Sunday), Long-term aims are to establish a universal health care system and a social security system, institute heavy regulations on businesses whether they be publicly or privately owned, allow for trade unions to be formed if they are not already, institute a national minimum wage, continue the policy of bimetallism for small denominations of currency (under one dollar) and switch to using the civil war currency of greenbacks for denominations larger than a dollar, maintain the national bank as it is if one exists create one if there isn't one, maintain the independent treasury if there is one and create one if there isn't one, create an income tax if there isn't one already, repeal alcohol prohibition laws, tax and regulate alcohol instead, create a federal reserve if there is not one, enact legislation which makes it illegal for businesseses public or private to discriminate on the basis of age, colour, convictions for which a pardon has been granted or a record suspended, disability, ethnicity, family status, gender identity, genetic characteristics, marital status, nationality, race, religion, sex, and sexual orientation.

Trade: Create free trade deals with nations if they agree to strict protections for workers and the natural resources of the nations involved 

Budget: A deficit is fine. Focus on how the government can make people's lives better.

Social Harmony: The creation of a National Minimum Wage and Income Tax should address the concerns of wage workers. The creation of anti-discrimination legislation should address the concerns of our Asian minority communities and any other communities which are also being discriminated against.

Immigration: All immigrants are welcome as long as they have not committed serious crimes, repeal the Immigration Values and Assimilation Act of 1914. 

Mood of the people: Measures covered in the economy section of the platform should improve the mood of the population. 

Popularity of the Incumbent: The Socialist Labor Party agrees with the American People that the current President is an indoctrinator and a racist and aside from breaking up of monopolies and the ecouraging of businesseses to pay their workers higher wages when they make more profits this President has done little to help the American people and deserves his abysmally low approval ratings. 

Party Power: The party is willing to work with the Liberal Party on issues of common interest.

Extra: Establish a tri-partisan Education Board.

VP nominee: Egbert Seidel (WI).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kingthero said:

Note that just like IRL, the President can still do stuff during elections, so feel free to do stuff.

 

 

State of the Union for Election of 1916
 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

National Strength: We rank 4th in the list of the top 10 countries: Russia, Great Britain, Germany,  United States, Japan, Italy, France, Austria, Mexico, Canada. Mexican coups, along with a growing economy, have led to our rise.

Military Strength: Our professional army is 60,000 men and 58 ships, with a reserve army of 120,000 men solely for defense. We have naval bases in Hawaii, Cuba, and Panama. We are currently building bases on French Polynesia and St Pierre and Miquelon.

Foreign Affairs: We are currently arming the Republican/Monarchist faction in the Mexican coup. The current stance of the Mexican Civil War is 45% R/M 40% RCT/F and 15% C.

Military: Our military is semi-active. Our navy is blockading the Gulf of Mexico, and our army is helping secure goods across the US-Mexican border.

Economy: The economy has stagnated, and the U.S. has joined the rest of the world in a minor decline.

Trade: We trade 20% with non-European powers, 25% with Britain, 25% with Germany, and 30% with other non-radical European powers. Trade is still growing regardless of the economic condition.

Budget: Our budget is currently balanced, with a only 5% of our spending going to paying off our debt, aimed to be paid off by 1940. Our budget consists of the income of 23% taxes 37% tariff 28% overseas territories/canals and 12% nationalized industries, and the expenditure of 60% military 10% gov. upkeep 15% infrastructure 10% disaster aid and 5% debt repayment.

Social Harmony: The country is basically united, however there are grumbles in the Asian minority and wage workers groups.

Immigration: Immigration is still 1# and the world, and has stayed consistent in the past four years.

Mood of the people: The mood of the people is below average. People are growing disillusioned with the Government and are angry about the economy.

Party Power: Conservatives took a sharp loss in midterms, and is projected to gain few seats. Liberals are projected to win a plurality in Congress.

Popularity of the Incumbent: The president is unpopular, ending with a 35% approval rating and 57% disapproval rating.

**************

Name and office:

Age:

Party:

Resident state: 

VP nominee: 

Platform (see State of the Union):

**************

Name and office: Sen. Keller Ryburn

Age: 55

Party: Liberal

Resident state: Nebraska 

VP nominee: Gov. Rosaline Vickers (L-GA)

Platform (see State of the Union):

National Strength: Liberal administration would see our rise continue rather than decrease. We have plateaued under Conservative leadership. It's time for a fresh face and a new promise for America. 

Military Strength: Beside the point, perhaps we should rename French Polynesia either to American Polynesia or just Polynesia. We should just pretty much maintain here, there isn't a point to increase or decrease. Invest in civilian infrastructure as well as military, because we don't want to be simply seen as imperialists taking over land as we will it without giving them anything in return. 

Foreign Affairs: Make sure that the Mexicans know that we support democracy to return in Mexico, but keep supplying them. We need to make sure that these two factions won't split eventually and fall to communists or fascists right on our doorstep. We want both Monarchists and Republicans in New York or Philadelphia to hammer out a deal that if they win what will happen, such as a constitutional monarchy, which is the American platform supports (if Liberals win). Make it clear we want democracy in Mexico, but Monarchists can be placated with a constitutional monarchy where the monarchs are allowed to keep power but in a limited way. 

Military: (Is the blockade for anything in particular, or is it just to watch out for Italian ships?), if it isn't for anything really specific, we should just be patrolling the Gulf not necessarily blockading. If it's for pirates or something like that, yes complete blockade is preferable. We need to keep Americans safe at the border from any Mexican violence that would threaten to spill over by keeping our military out there. Propose on creating the National Guard as a way to keep these reserves trained in state-controlled militias. 

Economy: Propose a massive help to the American economy by enacting an income tax. This would be a stair-step income tax that would affect the wealthy more than the middle class and there wouldn't be much, if any tax on the poorest classes in America. We should also work on making a potential free trade deal with some small non-radical European countries which will be a stepping stone to see if a free trade agreement with some European countries would actually work. (I don't know which ones are radical and which ones aren't, so I'll just say a few to see if they're radical or not), specifically if one could be formed with Sweden, Serbia, or the Greeks, or perhaps the Canadians. Domestically, we need to work on increasing American workers here by offering incentives to companies that hire American by offering tax credit if they would accept to open more in America. 

Trade: Use the details in the economy to increase trade with the non-radical European countries, perhaps leading to an eventual deal with Germany to knock down tariffs between our two countries. Britain seems to be less friendly at the moment, but if relations would thaw, maybe a deal would be possible. 

Budget: To increase our budget, we want to knock down some tariffs in favor of free trade agreements with a few small countries as an experiment to see if it were possible. To increase money, we would raise tariffs slightly on countries like Italy/Russia/Turkey/France, but not too much as to not antagonize them. Basically, raise tariffs slightly on those countries that are lukewarm to us. 

Social Harmony: We will be encouraging local and state authorities out in the West to treat Asians kindly and with the respect they deserve. It's a dangerous precedent to set and we pledge to be the party of everyone, not just wealthy whites like Conservatives or just the select few who can afford to be Socialists. 

Immigration: We are glad that immigration has largely stilled to an amount that we can continuously deal with. We encourage immigration and we are proud that everyone can become an American, regardless of background. We stand strongly behind our Educational board idea that is to be made up of 3 from each of the largest three parties in Congress to advise our states and schools on how to educate our young people.

Mood of the people: We hope our revamp of ideas will inspire Liberals to lead America into a new age of the world. We don't portray them as drastic, but necessary, and we will act with the most careful precision we could. 

Party Power: We cannot grow complacent, we must continue our winnings in Congress. We pledge to work across the aisle if elected, even if it seems unlikely to work. 

Popularity of the Incumbent: We will largely stay above the fray of the President, only commenting on issues like Education, the Economy, and Discrimination, and we will target it as "the Administration" rather than the President. Since he isn't running, there isn't a need to target him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CalebsParadox said:

Eric V. Dobs reluctantly accepts the VP nomination, citing his continuing presidency of his own organization as more vital than campaigning own his own accord. 

If you don't want to be the running mate you can just say, I can just create a dummy one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MBDemSoc said:

If you don't want to be the running mate you can just say, I can just create a dummy one.

Then disregard the acceptance, I just didn't want to keep an old character in 😛 Sorry mate! Just edit in a new nominee and I'll delete my acceptance! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, CalebsParadox said:

Then disregard the acceptance, I just didn't want to keep an old character in 😛 Sorry mate! Just edit in a new nominee and I'll delete my acceptance! 

Done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1916 Election

Welcome to the election of 1916! The second term of the Conservatives has been a disaster, and only a small amount of recovery has occurred. With now only three parties in the running, it should be more common that the winner wins the first round from now on. President Rodgers declined to run, leading his former primary opponent Talbot to run for the office. The Liberals went back to their 1908 platform, but set it up much more modestly and open to a wider range of voters. The socialists platform had a lot of plans, some out of their time. However, new ideas are new ideas. 

 

Primaries

There were no significant primaries. 

 

General Election Round 1

Ryburn/Vickers (Lib) 386 EV 47% PV [All States but the ones below.]

Talbot/Hillsbury (Con) 145 EV 42% PV [CA, WA, ID, MT, IT, AZ, CO, NM, SD, OK, MN, WI, MO, KY, FL, WV, MD, DE, RI]

Kirkpatrick/Seidel (Soc) 0 EV 11% PV

 

RP Note: The Liberal's open-to-many platform softened the Conservative grip on their usual given States, while Talbot's banking focus from both the now and his past primaries led him to closely contest the industrial centers. The socialists would have taken a win in Illinois if the Liberals ran a weaker candidate.

 

We begin to see the battleground regions of the map: The industrial centers, the west, and the occasional pacific coast/NE. In this timeline, parties don't have as solid roots as they did in our timeline, so elections are much more based on candidates and their issues rather than party dominance, although party dominance tends to help the Liberals, especially in the South.

 

Congress

Liberal 24/48 Senate 51% US Rep

Conservatives 23/48 Senate 36% US Rep

Socialists 1/48 Senate 13% US Rep

RP Note: Conservatives make up some ground, but Liberals keep a grasp on Congress.

 

@Hestia11 events tonight or tomorrow morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pres.-Elect Ryburn thanks Pres. Rodgers for his years of service in the Oval Office. He promises to work with all parties, regardless of whether or not they may agree. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

536259659_Legend-1916.thumb.png.596e7bdb4e23932a41d07d6b1541f4d1.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kirkpatrick thanks all of the people who voted for him & Seidel and congratulates the new Liberal President-elect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CalebsParadox said:

@Kingthero

Did Benson win the Gubernational election in Illinois?

I think he only does results for the General Elections and Midterms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, MBDemSoc said:

I think he only does results for the General Elections and Midterms.

I just want to ensure that a winning result is not considered implausible to him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, CalebsParadox said:

I just want to ensure that a winning result is not considered implausible to him. 

Ah ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CalebsParadox said:

I just want to ensure that a winning result is not considered implausible to him. 

I'd say yes, but by small margins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

State of the Union after the Election of 1916

 

National Strength: We rank 4th in the list of the top 10 countries: Russia, Great Britain, Germany,  United States, Japan, Italy, France, Austria, Mexico, Canada. Mexican coups, along with a growing economy, have led to our rise.

Military Strength: Our professional army is 60,000 men and 58 ships, with a reserve army of 120,000 men solely for defense. We have naval bases in Hawaii, Cuba, and Panama. We are currently building bases on French Polynesia and St Pierre and Miquelon.

Foreign Affairs: We are currently arming the Republican/Monarchist faction in the Mexican coup. The current stance of the Mexican Civil War is 45% R/M 40% RCT/F and 15% C.

Military: Our military is semi-active. Our navy is blockading the Gulf of Mexico, and our army is helping secure goods across the US-Mexican border.

Economy: The economy has stagnated, and the U.S. has joined the rest of the world in a minor decline.

Trade: We trade 20% with non-European powers, 25% with Britain, 25% with Germany, and 30% with other non-radical European powers. Trade is still growing regardless of the economic condition.

Budget: Our budget is currently balanced, with a only 5% of our spending going to paying off our debt, aimed to be paid off by 1940. Our budget consists of the income of 23% taxes 37% tariff 28% overseas territories/canals and 12% nationalized industries, and the expenditure of 60% military 10% gov. upkeep 15% infrastructure 10% disaster aid and 5% debt repayment.

Social Harmony: The country is basically united, however there are grumbles in the Asian minority and wage workers groups.

Immigration: Immigration is still 1# and the world, and has stayed consistent in the past four years.

Mood of the people: The mood of the people is below average. People are growing disillusioned with the Government and are angry about the economy.

Party Power: Conservatives took a sharp loss in midterms, and is projected to gain few seats. Liberals are projected to win a plurality in Congress.

 

Events and Decisions for March 1917 - March 1921 for Pres. Ryburn @Hestia11

1) Danish Virgin Islands

The Danish, who have owned these islands for years without profit, have offered to sell them to the United States for $20 million. (In our timeline, a stronger Germany has weakened Danish influence abroad). We would have to adjust our budget to buy this. However, it wouldn't be that big of a change.

2) Governments Abroad

The administration of Rodgers did not formalize how the new territories of French Polynesia and St. Pierre and Miquelon would be run. While there are military bases being built, the people on the lands are only governed by the military as of right now. 

3) Citizenship Question

In our territories of Cuba, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, the citizens of these lands have just been noted as legal residents of the United States, and not citizens. Do you wish to change this?

4) French Trade

The monarchist nation of France has formally organized itself. As a side note, the current composition of monarchies in Europe consists of France, Britain, Germany, Ottomans, and Russia, while the republics are Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, Belgium, all of Scandinavia, and a reformed Austria-Hungary. The radicals are Italy, Greece, and Poland. The rest are neutral, with mixed governments. France offers a no-tariff trade deal with the United States, since we helped them out in their war. This will significantly boost our economy, as American automobiles and arms are strong business to regrow French infrastructure.

5) Income Tax

There were protests about the Rodger's administration and how they did not implement an income tax. However, with our economy in a panic, many people are worried that implementing taxes will take away any chance of recovery, and the issue has lost steam. If you proposed an income tax, there is a chance even your own party wouldn't support it at this point, especially since this would lead to this party no longer having the support of the businesses, a group of people that is much stronger in our timeline all across the nation.

6) Discrimination Policy

The American People are absolutely upset over how discrimination legislation is deemed unconstitutional by the conservatives. People are requesting that you intervene in the discrimination going on in the West Coast cities.

7) Mexican Coup Progress

The current stance of the Mexican Civil War is 45% R/M 40% RCT/F and 15% C. Communists are falling in numbers, but a close contest exists between the Republican/Monarchist force and the Fascist/Reactionary force. Our supported group requests that we intervene further. (Note: The blockade was made to prevent supplies from reaching the communists, and has seemingly helped cut their numbers drastically.)

😎 Japanese Aggression

The Japanese have officially launched their invasion of Korea. Rumors have it their current leaders wish to annex more and more land abroad.

9) Extinction of Native Avian Species

Recently, both the Passenger Pigeon and the Carolina Parakeet have gone extinct. Conservationists call for the Government to install Federal laws making it illegal to hunt endangered species.

10) Free

Anything not included here you wish to implement?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kingthero said:

State of the Union after the Election of 1916

 

National Strength: We rank 4th in the list of the top 10 countries: Russia, Great Britain, Germany,  United States, Japan, Italy, France, Austria, Mexico, Canada. Mexican coups, along with a growing economy, have led to our rise.

Military Strength: Our professional army is 60,000 men and 58 ships, with a reserve army of 120,000 men solely for defense. We have naval bases in Hawaii, Cuba, and Panama. We are currently building bases on French Polynesia and St Pierre and Miquelon.

Foreign Affairs: We are currently arming the Republican/Monarchist faction in the Mexican coup. The current stance of the Mexican Civil War is 45% R/M 40% RCT/F and 15% C.

Military: Our military is semi-active. Our navy is blockading the Gulf of Mexico, and our army is helping secure goods across the US-Mexican border.

Economy: The economy has stagnated, and the U.S. has joined the rest of the world in a minor decline.

Trade: We trade 20% with non-European powers, 25% with Britain, 25% with Germany, and 30% with other non-radical European powers. Trade is still growing regardless of the economic condition.

Budget: Our budget is currently balanced, with a only 5% of our spending going to paying off our debt, aimed to be paid off by 1940. Our budget consists of the income of 23% taxes 37% tariff 28% overseas territories/canals and 12% nationalized industries, and the expenditure of 60% military 10% gov. upkeep 15% infrastructure 10% disaster aid and 5% debt repayment.

Social Harmony: The country is basically united, however there are grumbles in the Asian minority and wage workers groups.

Immigration: Immigration is still 1# and the world, and has stayed consistent in the past four years.

Mood of the people: The mood of the people is below average. People are growing disillusioned with the Government and are angry about the economy.

Party Power: Conservatives took a sharp loss in midterms, and is projected to gain few seats. Liberals are projected to win a plurality in Congress.

 

Events and Decisions for March 1917 - March 1921 for Pres. Ryburn @Hestia11

1) Danish Virgin Islands

The Danish, who have owned these islands for years without profit, have offered to sell them to the United States for $20 million. (In our timeline, a stronger Germany has weakened Danish influence abroad). We would have to adjust our budget to buy this. However, it wouldn't be that big of a change.

2) Governments Abroad

The administration of Rodgers did not formalize how the new territories of French Polynesia and St. Pierre and Miquelon would be run. While there are military bases being built, the people on the lands are only governed by the military as of right now. 

3) Citizenship Question

In our territories of Cuba, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, the citizens of these lands have just been noted as legal residents of the United States, and not citizens. Do you wish to change this?

4) French Trade

The monarchist nation of France has formally organized itself. As a side note, the current composition of monarchies in Europe consists of France, Britain, Germany, Ottomans, and Russia, while the republics are Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, Belgium, all of Scandinavia, and a reformed Austria-Hungary. The radicals are Italy, Greece, and Poland. The rest are neutral, with mixed governments. France offers a no-tariff trade deal with the United States, since we helped them out in their war. This will significantly boost our economy, as American automobiles and arms are strong business to regrow French infrastructure.

5) Income Tax

There were protests about the Rodger's administration and how they did not implement an income tax. However, with our economy in a panic, many people are worried that implementing taxes will take away any chance of recovery, and the issue has lost steam. If you proposed an income tax, there is a chance even your own party wouldn't support it at this point, especially since this would lead to this party no longer having the support of the businesses, a group of people that is much stronger in our timeline all across the nation.

6) Discrimination Policy

The American People are absolutely upset over how discrimination legislation is deemed unconstitutional by the conservatives. People are requesting that you intervene in the discrimination going on in the West Coast cities.

7) Mexican Coup Progress

The current stance of the Mexican Civil War is 45% R/M 40% RCT/F and 15% C. Communists are falling in numbers, but a close contest exists between the Republican/Monarchist force and the Fascist/Reactionary force. Our supported group requests that we intervene further. (Note: The blockade was made to prevent supplies from reaching the communists, and has seemingly helped cut their numbers drastically.)

😎 Japanese Aggression

The Japanese have officially launched their invasion of Korea. Rumors have it their current leaders wish to annex more and more land abroad.

9) Extinction of Native Avian Species

Recently, both the Passenger Pigeon and the Carolina Parakeet have gone extinct. Conservationists call for the Government to install Federal laws making it illegal to hunt endangered species.

10) Free

Anything not included here you wish to implement?

1) We should buy these islands from the Danish. There is no real reason not to, the price isn't altogether that high for a series of islands. Champion it as a tourist destination for the world, hopefully it can guarantee us a better income than what the Danish have been getting out of it.

2) We should start setting up local governments. The military can't run these islands forever. Change the name from French Polynesia to American Polynesia as soon as we can. St. Pierre and Miquelon is fairly close to Maine, so if Mainers would be willing to move to the island, an even more efficient government could be set up there. While bases on both of these islands are good, we cannot just have the military run the island, as that only encourages dust ups between the military and the citizens. Create town councils first and branch up to a territorial government. We propose a mostly symbolic overture in Congress to rename French Polynesia to American Polynesia and also propose to establish local councils in the territories. 

3) Hawaii should be set on the path of eventual statehood, as well as Puerto Rico. Cuba is larger, and our administration admits that should Cuba want independence, it would be costly to maintain it. It might be better to start establishing a friendly regime in Cuba with preferential trade policies with the United States instead, such as fleet basing rights, free trade, and preferential treatment for American business within Cuba. This is not to be enacted straight away, rather as a target for future generations.

4) We will celebrate this deal as great for American business and laud the French as our most important ally currently in the world. Encourage American business in France and hope the French reciprocate with us as well.

5) I didn't realize that the protests had died down. State publicly we will wait on this issue until the economy grows larger.

6) We will champion a bill in Congress called the West Coast Discrimination Act (WCDA), that outlaws discriminatory behavior in several fields towards Asian-Americans. They have risked a lot to come here, and we should be protecting them. Liberals will show that we are the ones who will protect them, even if Conservatives wouldn't.

7) (Alright, thanks). We publicly support the blockade and will be looking for increased support to the Republican/Monarchist side. Liberals float the idea of sending battleships on a lease towards this faction to help them build naval supremacy. This would be the same deal as the old one with Britain, either return them or pay for them if they're sunk or damaged so we can rebuild them. We propose a bill to Congress to arm the Republican/Monarchist faction with 6 battleships (I think we have 58 ships currently so that shouldn't be too drastic). 

😎 Privately, we are concerned about potential Japanese aggression towards our Pacific colonies. China, (I assume based on history) is a weak nation with a not very real capacity of beating the Japanese. We think an embargo on the Japanese should be entertained, if they decide to invade more beyond Korea.

9) Liberals are the Conservation party and we will prove it. We champion a bill called the Endangered Species Protection Act (ESPA) that outlaws the killing of endangered animals.

10) Liberals have proposed in the past an Educational Board that would guide American teachers and principals on what to teach in the classroom. These wouldn't be strict rules, and would serve as a guide. We would like a tri-partisan board, made up of 3, 3, and 3 of the largest 3 parties in Congress (right now the Liberals, Conservatives, and Socialists). If one of those were to be passed in number, they would be replaced by the third highest party. These people could serve from the House or Senate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

1) We should buy these islands from the Danish. There is no real reason not to, the price isn't altogether that high for a series of islands. Champion it as a tourist destination for the world, hopefully it can guarantee us a better income than what the Danish have been getting out of it.

We buy these islands, but then a hurricane hits. 

Of course!

This will only take a small portion of the disaster relief budget however, adding on to the buy cost.

 

Quote

2) We should start setting up local governments. The military can't run these islands forever. Change the name from French Polynesia to American Polynesia as soon as we can. St. Pierre and Miquelon is fairly close to Maine, so if Mainers would be willing to move to the island, an even more efficient government could be set up there. While bases on both of these islands are good, we cannot just have the military run the island, as that only encourages dust ups between the military and the citizens. Create town councils first and branch up to a territorial government. We propose a mostly symbolic overture in Congress to rename French Polynesia to American Polynesia and also propose to establish local councils in the territories. 

The Congressional effort passes almost unanimously, which secures the renaming and local council efforts regardless of the roll. However, local councils start off being wealthy bureaucrats, which may be good or bad in the future. The military will still need to occupy these lands, at least for another 2 years.

 

Quote

3) Hawaii should be set on the path of eventual statehood, as well as Puerto Rico. Cuba is larger, and our administration admits that should Cuba want independence, it would be costly to maintain it. It might be better to start establishing a friendly regime in Cuba with preferential trade policies with the United States instead, such as fleet basing rights, free trade, and preferential treatment for American business within Cuba. This is not to be enacted straight away, rather as a target for future generations.

While your efforts were recognized, your Secretary of State had an affair, which delegitimized these efforts for this term.

The rolls love you right now, totally.

 

Quote

4) We will celebrate this deal as great for American business and laud the French as our most important ally currently in the world. Encourage American business in France and hope the French reciprocate with us as well.

As the American People have grown from the French poor relations from over a century ago, the public is satisfied with our new alliance, and American industries bring in more income as the French market is now open.

 

Quote

5) I didn't realize that the protests had died down. State publicly we will wait on this issue until the economy grows larger.

The American People are glad you have waited on this issue.

 

Quote

6) We will champion a bill in Congress called the West Coast Discrimination Act (WCDA), that outlaws discriminatory behavior in several fields towards Asian-Americans. They have risked a lot to come here, and we should be protecting them. Liberals will show that we are the ones who will protect them, even if Conservatives wouldn't.

This bill doesn't even need a Congressional vote; the Liberal Party passes it unanimously, along with a majority of the Socialists, and even some moderate Conservatives. This will go down as your administration's best action.

 

Quote

7) (Alright, thanks). We publicly support the blockade and will be looking for increased support to the Republican/Monarchist side. Liberals float the idea of sending battleships on a lease towards this faction to help them build naval supremacy. This would be the same deal as the old one with Britain, either return them or pay for them if they're sunk or damaged so we can rebuild them. We propose a bill to Congress to arm the Republican/Monarchist faction with 6 battleships (I think we have 58 ships currently so that shouldn't be too drastic). 

The Pro-War supermajority supports this wholeheartedly in Congress, and six battleships are sent to the Republican/Monarchist side of the Mexican conflict. However, three of them are destroyed immediately, likely by Mexican espionage on the other side, while the other three are in transit through the Panama Canal to aid in the West Coast Conquest.

 

Quote

😎 Privately, we are concerned about potential Japanese aggression towards our Pacific colonies. China, (I assume based on history) is a weak nation with a not very real capacity of beating the Japanese. We think an embargo on the Japanese should be entertained, if they decide to invade more beyond Korea.

Your administration offers a public worldwide message that you are discrediting any further Japanese invasion in the pacific, and that actions will be done if deemed necessary.

 

Quote

9) Liberals are the Conservation party and we will prove it. We champion a bill called the Endangered Species Protection Act (ESPA) that outlaws the killing of endangered animals.

The Liberal/Socialist Party passes this bill in Congress.

 

Quote

10) Liberals have proposed in the past an Educational Board that would guide American teachers and principals on what to teach in the classroom. These wouldn't be strict rules, and would serve as a guide. We would like a tri-partisan board, made up of 3, 3, and 3 of the largest 3 parties in Congress (right now the Liberals, Conservatives, and Socialists). If one of those were to be passed in number, they would be replaced by the third highest party. These people could serve from the House or Senate. 

This board has been created, and initial findings conclude that our current education system (8-1 decision) does not focus on political ideology at all, and instead is much more focused on fundamental skills. Does the President wish to support a change of focus?

 

@Hestia11

 

Midterms

 

Congress

Liberal 24/48 Senate 58% US Rep

Conservatives 24/48 Senate 31% US Rep

Socialists 0/48 Senate 11% US Rep

 

Liberals secure a larger portion of the House, however Conservatives now tie their vote in the Senate. The Liberal VP, however, will tiebreak all split votes in the President's favor, unless some insanely bad roll happens. Socialists lose their Senate seat to the Conservatives. Illinois is always the three-way battleground State, with a second round system where the three parties fight to get to round 2.

 

Approval Rating

 

Approval: 60%

 

Disapproval: 33%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OOC: Had the RL Socialist Party also their stronghold in Illinois (around this time)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

OOC: Had the RL Socialist Party also their stronghold in Illinois (around this time)?

Socialist Party had relative strongholds in New York and Illinois, and smaller ones is various other industrial States. In this RP, Illinois became the main stronghold due to the State being the focus of labor movements and things attributed to radicalism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note: I may have accidentally cut the socialist senator’s term early; if so there was a special election (note I don’t actually keep track of each individual senate term, even though in this case I should have. I apologize in advance, though it does not change anything really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kingthero said:

We buy these islands, but then a hurricane hits. 

Of course!

This will only take a small portion of the disaster relief budget however, adding on to the buy cost.

 

The Congressional effort passes almost unanimously, which secures the renaming and local council efforts regardless of the roll. However, local councils start off being wealthy bureaucrats, which may be good or bad in the future. The military will still need to occupy these lands, at least for another 2 years.

 

While your efforts were recognized, your Secretary of State had an affair, which delegitimized these efforts for this term.

The rolls love you right now, totally.

 

As the American People have grown from the French poor relations from over a century ago, the public is satisfied with our new alliance, and American industries bring in more income as the French market is now open.

 

The American People are glad you have waited on this issue.

 

This bill doesn't even need a Congressional vote; the Liberal Party passes it unanimously, along with a majority of the Socialists, and even some moderate Conservatives. This will go down as your administration's best action.

 

The Pro-War supermajority supports this wholeheartedly in Congress, and six battleships are sent to the Republican/Monarchist side of the Mexican conflict. However, three of them are destroyed immediately, likely by Mexican espionage on the other side, while the other three are in transit through the Panama Canal to aid in the West Coast Conquest.

 

Your administration offers a public worldwide message that you are discrediting any further Japanese invasion in the pacific, and that actions will be done if deemed necessary.

 

The Liberal/Socialist Party passes this bill in Congress.

 

This board has been created, and initial findings conclude that our current education system (8-1 decision) does not focus on political ideology at all, and instead is much more focused on fundamental skills. Does the President wish to support a change of focus?

 

@Hestia11

 

Midterms

 

Congress

Liberal 24/48 Senate 58% US Rep

Conservatives 24/48 Senate 31% US Rep

Socialists 0/48 Senate 11% US Rep

 

Liberals secure a larger portion of the House, however Conservatives now tie their vote in the Senate. The Liberal VP, however, will tiebreak all split votes in the President's favor, unless some insanely bad roll happens. Socialists lose their Senate seat to the Conservatives. Illinois is always the three-way battleground State, with a second round system where the three parties fight to get to round 2.

 

Approval Rating

 

Approval: 60%

 

Disapproval: 33%

1) Great. Begin clean up on the islands to restore them as soon as possible.

2) An eventual timeline was always preferred, the military will be allowed to govern these for the next two years until the local governments can begin governing effectively.

3) Sack the Secretary of State. There are plenty of other well-seasoned diplomats in the Liberal Party that we can use rather than a scandal-ridden one. Hopefully this can help clear the air on this issue.

4) Vive la France!

5) We are proud to have stood up for people in our society that couldn't stand up for themselves. Liberals will champion this issue as one that was necessary to act on, that the previous administration didn't. With the power of Congress, we can hold people accountable that would break this law.

6) We are a bit worried at the immediate sinking of three ships, but we were promised either compensation or them in working order at the end of the war. Regardless, this should be a necessary step that can lead our chosen faction to victory in Mexico. 

10) We want this to be a bipartisan issue. Students can't be fed blatant propaganda from either side of the aisle. We want every party to craft a paragraph detailing what their party believes in. This is to be put in books to learn. It cannot contain anything against any party, or even mention a rival party. It is entirely based upon beliefs, not on factional bickering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

10) We want this to be a bipartisan issue. Students can't be fed blatant propaganda from either side of the aisle. We want every party to craft a paragraph detailing what their party believes in. This is to be put in books to learn. It cannot contain anything against any party, or even mention a rival party. It is entirely based upon beliefs, not on factional bickering.

Parties submit their platforms, and schools are encouraged to teach all platforms fairly.

 

State of the Union for Election of 1920
 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

National Strength: We rank 4th in the list of the top 10 countries: Russia, Great Britain, Germany,  United States, Japan, France, Italy, Austria, Mexico, Canada.

Military Strength: Our professional army is 60,000 men and 52 ships, with a reserve army of 120,000 men solely for defense. We have naval bases in Hawaii, Cuba, Panama, St. Pierre and Miquelon, and American Polynesia.

Foreign Affairs: We are currently arming the Republican/Monarchist faction in the Mexican coup, as well as providing 6 battleships as a loan. The current stance of the Mexican Civil War is 55% R/M 35% RCT/F and 10% C.

Military: Our military is semi-active. Our navy is blockading the Gulf of Mexico, and our army is helping secure goods across the US-Mexican border.

Economy: The economy has stagnated, but the U.S. is no longer declining.

Trade: We trade 20% with non-European powers, 20% with Britain, 20% with Germany, 20% with France, and 20% with other non-radical European powers. Trade is growing, especially with the open French market.

Budget: Our budget is currently balanced, with only 5% of our spending going to paying off our debt, aimed to be paid off by 1940. Our budget consists of the income of 28% taxes 35% tariff 26% overseas territories/canals and 11% nationalized industries, and the expenditure of 55% military 10% gov. upkeep 20% infrastructure 10% disaster aid and 5% debt repayment.

Social Harmony: The country is basically united.

Immigration: Immigration has seen a small decline, but nothing major.

Mood of the people: The mood of the people is content. Nobody is mad about anything, but nobody is really excited about anything either.

Party Power: Conservatives are on a Senate rebound, but Liberals have a grip of House seats.

Popularity of the Incumbent: The president is popular, ending with a 61% approval rating and 26% disapproval rating.

**************

Name and office:

Age:

Party:

Resident state: 

VP nominee: 

Platform (see State of the Union):

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×