270soft Forum
vcczar

New Historical President RP

An idea Democratic officials developed as well: If we are not able to reach full compromise, there is a chance for a mini-compromise existing. Dems and APP run together in the West and South, while the Reps are drop out in those states. We drop out in the North and they run there as single opposition party. Ideally we are able to push LP back to third-place.

We are unsure of an alliance like this because of the amount of states we might be forsaking. States like Iowa, Minnesota, Virginia, Indiana are possible for Reps to win and we don’t want to pull out of states we have a chance at winning

I do not know about the APP but we do not have many chances in Minnesota.

OOC: Here is where the party strength is at the moment. 

Liberty Party is on the ballot in every state, with the South (minus LA, TX, FL, KY, MO, MD, DE) as a lock in every election. They have a 50% chance of winning in the Midwest, Great Lakes, Mid-Atlantic, and New England. They have an outside chance in those other Southern states listed in the parenthesis. They have little support in the West. 

The New Republican Party has a 50% chance of winning in the Midwest, Great Lakes, Mid-Atlantic, and New England. Now that they made it to the second round, they will be on every ballot now, but chances on winning the new states are low for now. They are the only opposition party with a chance of winning an election at the moment. 

The American Progress Party has a very high chance of winning every state west of the Mississippi river (except MN and TX, which are more 50%). They aren't on the ballot on the states where the Liberty Party has a lock. They have almost no chance of winning the Midwest, Mid-Atlantic, and New England. Although WI, MN, and MI, might be possible. For the most part, their strength is in the West, which won't be viable until 1950. They seem to be playing a long game. Their range is great geographically, but the party is more of a spoiler. The population centers in the east are firmly Liberty Party or New Republican Party. I think they could join the Democrats in forming a Conservative Party or joining the New Republicans to moderate that party. Alternative, they can just keep holding the West for the future. But it's hard to be the party of Western interests (which they do a good job of) and appeal to the East. It's strange, since this party seems like both a has-been and a party of the future, as the west populates. Westerners will probably be saddened if the party folded, however.  

The Democrats are only on the ballot in about 5 states, since they formed as a somewhat antiquated party that appeals mainly to disenfranchised voters (doesn't help in an election), and these disenfranchised voters have been leaving the country for 10 years. They seem too closely tied to the former Confederacy. They are, therefore, only a spoiler party. This alternate history will unlikely see any sort of social conservative Jim Crow South, since African-American politicians became a thing soon after the war, and they are the major demographic. Better yet would be to form a new Conservative Party that is strictly fiscally conservative and pro-business but avoids social issues or too much talk of limited government (except economically and in business). This would appeal to the business interests in the population centers. They should also avoid directing energies to the South (except FL, LA, TX, KY, MO, MD, DE) and focus on the other regions. 

Ethnic demographic are as followed:

Immigrant heavy: NY, PA, OH, NJ, MA, IL, but they don't dominate, since our alternate history has seen less immigration

White voters: Dominate everywhere but the former Confederacy, TX, FL, LA, KY, MD, DE. 

Black voters: Dominate MS, AL, AR, TN, GA, SC, NC, VA

Spanish-descent voters: Dominate in TX and heavy in LA, and FL

French-descent voters: Dominate in LA and FL and heavy in TX

Industrial, big-business, but also pro-labor: New England, Mid-West, Mid-Atlantic, but also LA, FL, CA

Rural: The South and the West, but also Great Lakes (WI and MN)

Our alternative US is far less rural than the historic US at this time. The Liberty Party has pretty much industrialized the entire country with internal improvement projects and electricity subsidizing in the former Confederacy and in the West. Labor and business are major issues.  

Just now, Conservative Elector 2 said:

I do not know about the APP but we do not have many chances in Minnesota.

@Kingthero @Conservative Elector 2

Republicans might be able to agree to a scaled down version where we pull out of states that are unreasonable to even try for. We will make a list

OCC: @Conservative Elector 2 @Kingthero @Hestia11 @Reagan04 just to give you some help, I don't think the collaborate and pull-out strategy is helpful to anyone but the New Republican Party. It's basically just going to help him get to round 2. The focus should be on building a national party, which probably means convincing other opposition parties to merge. I know for me, it isn't fun seeing one party win every election. It's been 3 regional parties with 1 national party for too long. The New Republicans are the closest to being a national party. 

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

OCC: @Conservative Elector 2 @Kingthero @Hestia11 @Reagan04 just to give you some help, I don't think the collaborate and pull-out strategy is helpful to anyone but the New Republican Party. It's basically just going to help him get to round 2. The focus should be on building a national party, which probably means convincing other opposition parties to merge. I know for me, it isn't fun seeing one party win every election. It's been 3 regional parties with 1 national party for too long. The New Republicans are the closest to being a national party. 

OCC: I get that too. I think 3 credible parties might be the way to go, unless the APP and Dems don’t want to merge

I understand all the concerns and I know that we are very unlikely to win any elections soon. The effect of children from former confederates might not be as heavy as I hoped for. I will wait on @Reagan04 to discuss what we are doing next. Currently I do not see any chance for a national opposition party unless we rotate our candidates in every election cycle. The 3 parties are too different in my opinion. Nevertheless I made a map of states we are willing to pull out, but since we proofed to be able to win MD, DE, WV and FL we would want those states as well. Additionally I think the APP will make some demands as well. It is just a proposal nothing is sure yet.eca740e5-e5b9-465c-b92d-808a0d34b8ba.thumb.png.77b153930cba3bd981155b4629de185d.png

I’d say wait on any concrete proposals until the SotU is posted for the next cycle.

We aren't going to do any ballot dropping west of the Mississippi, but possibly in the northeast.

OOC: I tried actually with Lawson (who was a NH native) to create a conservative who is electable from outside the south. It is not that I do not want to appeal to other conservatives as well

20 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

OOC: I tried actually with Lawson (who was a NH native) to create a conservative who is electable from outside the south. It is not that I do not want to appeal to other conservatives as well

OOC: You definitely tried. I saw that. It's just hard to compete when there are two parties that are more attractive to a region. 

OOC: Is there a way to make sure what state your VP is from if there isn't another person entering a candidate? Sometimes that can help a candidate's outreach too.

OOC: That's true. People stopped making VPs, so I just sort of invented them, unless there was a competitor for nomination. 

OOC: Is it possible on the form there could be a line like Possible VP (if no one makes one):

Or something like that

12 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

OOC: Is it possible on the form there could be a line like Possible VP (if no one makes one):

Or something like that

I can do that. I had a line where people were supposed to make a VP for another party, but only some were doing that it seemed. 

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I can do that. I had a line where people were supposed to make a VP for another party, but only some were doing that it seemed. 

I tried to do that, but then it stopped appearing on the form so I stopped as well.

Senator Jacque Toulemont (D-LA) assassinated! 

Democratic Party in turmoil!

From the ashes, New York Democratic Representative Frederick J. Carpenter  founds the "Conservative Party" to help organize a dying Democratic party into something more stomachable for a greater population.

This party must now stand for strong Conservative values. We are a Pro-Business and Fiscally Conservative Party! We must support the economic prosperity and freedoms with which this nation was endowed! Our President has long stood against these goals and no longer can this be the case! Today's launch signals a new Era in American Politics and a new Dawn in American History. We will take our nation along the path that great men like President Aldridge had once hoped, a Conservative future for all! God Bless you and God Bless America!

Most Democratic party officials join Conservative Party; all except Sen. Yedver who announces he will remain a Democrat, even if he is the last one standing and the party must die with him.

OOC: Franklin Pierce came to my mind. A Northern Democrat, who was elected in the South as well. 

49 minutes ago, vcczar said:

OOC: You definitely tried. I saw that. It's just hard to compete when there are two parties that are more attractive to a region. 

9 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Senator Jacque Toulemont (D-LA) assassinated! 

Democratic Party in turmoil!

From the ashes, New York Democratic Representative Frederick J. Carpenter  founds the "Conservative Party" to help organize a dying Democratic party into something more stomachable for a greater population.

OOC: Would it be ok to continue dark blue as our party colour? Most common colours are/were used by some party already... If someone is unhappy with my coloring please say it. I just used historical ones (Fed/Dem-Rep) and my own inventions unless someone requested a specific colour (New Rep). If you want changes please say so. 

4 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

OOC: Would it be ok to continue dark blue as our party colour? Most common colours are/were used by some party already... If someone is unhappy with my coloring please say it. I just used historical ones (Fed/Dem-Rep) and my own inventions unless someone requested a specific colour (New Rep). If you want changes please say so. 

OOC: Yeah, if you are cool with staying Dark Blue, so am I! I assume you'll be joining up with the Conservatives my friend?

Republicans scoff at the idea of a Conservative Party in America at the moment. They can't win in the North, which is a non-starter for any party at this point. There is no way they'll be able to win anything beyond what the Democrats are winning now. Republicans seem more confident than maybe they ought to be.

The Conservatives believe that there is a sizable minority of Americans that yearn for a return to a more Conservative path, only this election can tell.

OOC: Is there any definitive thing on what's happened to Progress at this point @Kingthero?