270soft Forum
vcczar

New Historical President RP

52 minutes ago, vcczar said:
Jefferson Bunt's Second Term Results 1793-1797:
The second term of Jefferson Bunt saw the addition of TN as a new state. Economically, Bunt supported a tax on whiskey to raise revenue in an effort to pay of the war debt; however, this led to a brief, minimally violent tax rebellion. Bunt called the Pennsylvania state militia, which was able to intimidate the rebellion into fizzling out. Additionally, Bunt stoop up to pressure to rescind Hamiltonian economic policies during the Panic of 1796-1797, and the economic panic eventually died out. In foreign affairs, Bunt made three peaceful, but controversial decisions. One was his decision to pay tribute to the Barbary Pirates to prevent their attacks on merchant vessels, but he had little alternative without much of a navy. Secondly, Bunt opted not to aid our former allies in the French Revolutionary War, declaring neutrality unilaterally. More controversial was the Jay Treaty, which reestablished trade with our former enemy Great Britain, but also cleared British troops from Western lands, opening the West to use without future conflict from the British. More openly supported was the Pinckney Treaty, establishing good relations with Spain, establishing the border between us and Spanish Florida, opening trade in the Mississippi, and acquiring a bit of territory (future Southern MS and Southern AL). Bunt also supported increasing the residency for citizenship for any migrants to our country. Bunt continued the Northwest Indian War, which ended successfully midway through his second term, opening future Ohio and Indiana to settlement. Bunt leaves the next president at least two decision, 1) Will the Whiskey Rebellion leaders be pardoned? and 2) Will Bunt's desire for a professional army be reciprocated by Congress?

State of the Union Following Bunt's Decisions

National Strength: 3rd-tier country. The US now includes KY, VT, TN, with land cleared for settlement in future OH and IN. 

Military Strength: Weak, with no professional army and no navy. 

Foreign Affairs: Our ally France is now occasionally attacking our shipping in response to the Jay Treaty. Britain is strengthened in Europe, but they have removed their troops in our Territory in the West. They still impress our sailors into their navy however. We give tribute to the Barbary Pirates to protect our ships from pirate attacks. Relations with Spain are positive. 

Military engagements: Our mostly-militia based force is currently only defending against potential Indian attacks in the frontier. 

Economy: Weak-to-medium, but growing. We are still in debt, but we are on the pathway to paying it off. The outlook is hopeful, as revenue is coming in through tariff and taxation. Not much manufacturing and industrial production outside New England, which finally has at least one European-quality facility. Outlook for production growth is hopeful with Hamiltonian economic policies in place. The South is very agrarian, but profitable for the people. The agrarian sectors are critical of our current economic policies.

Trade: Protective Tariff allows for industrial growth in New England as well as revenue. The South opposes this tariff as it somewhat restricts their profits. International trade is growing because of the Jay Treaty with Britain. However, occasional attacks by the our so-called ally France on our shipping is putting slight dents in this trade. 

Budget: Small, and any revenue we gather is going to paying off the national debt. However, we were able to use the 80% of our budget that we were using on the late Indian War to help in paying off this debt. 

Social Harmony: Slight tension between Northern and Southern economies and world view. The South and West opposes the government's economic policies, but there is no threat of disunion at the moment. Some Northerners are upset about the Fugitive Slave Act as contradicts their Free State status. The Jay Treaty, which is wildly supported in New England, has increased tensions since the last election, most prominently in the South and West. . 

Immigration: Limited. Congress slightly increased the time to become a citizen. We have a lenient policy.  Mostly Protestant Scots-Irish, Protestant French, and a few Protestant Germans arrive, but they do not yet pose a danger to our more English-descent Protestant Culture. Most of these immigrants are moving to settle the West. If they move to a city, it is to NYC or Philadelphia.

Mood of the people: Positive and proud with mild grumblings in the South. and lands West of the Appalachians. 

Popularity of the Incumbent: Mostly high, with a 55% chance of reelection. There is some fatigue for the Bunt, as well as a fear of a lifetime president, but more Americans favor his presidency than do not. Bunt would more likely than not get reelected if he chooses to run for a 3rd term.  

Party Power: Federalists lead in the Senate, but they are no longer dominant. The US House and governorships are split between Federalists and Republicans. 

@WVProgressive @Reagan04 @Sami @Kingthero @vcczar @Rodja @Conservative Elector 2 @LokiLoki22 @Lyly @TheMiddlePolitical

Will Federalist Jefferson Bunt run for the presidency for a 3rd term? Who will aim to run for the president/vice presidency? [Please create a first and last name for your character, a home state, their office, their party (Fed or Rep), and some sort of response to Bunt's presidency that will allow us to see your potential platform. You have 24 hours to make a candidate. Please quote this entire message when responding to this or your nomination will not count.]

President Bunt announces he won't be running for a third term citing health reasons. Endorses his Vice President Samuel Lewis.

@vcczar,@Sami .

Associate Justice Blount sends his Get Well Soon wishes to President Bunt! @WVProgressive

Name: Frederick "Fred" Williams

State:Massachusets

Political Party:Federalist

Current Profession:Revolutionary War Hero 

Platform: 

Military Strenght:It is well passed the time to have our own army and navy fully operating!

Foreign Affairs:Balance between France and Britain.

Military engagments:Only defend if attacked but dont attack first!Indian War was illegal genocide!

Economy:Raise taxes on richest citizens!

Trade:Free trade all the way

Immigration:Decrease time needed to become citizen. 

1 hour ago, vcczar said:
Jefferson Bunt's Second Term Results 1793-1797:
The second term of Jefferson Bunt saw the addition of TN as a new state. Economically, Bunt supported a tax on whiskey to raise revenue in an effort to pay of the war debt; however, this led to a brief, minimally violent tax rebellion. Bunt called the Pennsylvania state militia, which was able to intimidate the rebellion into fizzling out. Additionally, Bunt stoop up to pressure to rescind Hamiltonian economic policies during the Panic of 1796-1797, and the economic panic eventually died out. In foreign affairs, Bunt made three peaceful, but controversial decisions. One was his decision to pay tribute to the Barbary Pirates to prevent their attacks on merchant vessels, but he had little alternative without much of a navy. Secondly, Bunt opted not to aid our former allies in the French Revolutionary War, declaring neutrality unilaterally. More controversial was the Jay Treaty, which reestablished trade with our former enemy Great Britain, but also cleared British troops from Western lands, opening the West to use without future conflict from the British. More openly supported was the Pinckney Treaty, establishing good relations with Spain, establishing the border between us and Spanish Florida, opening trade in the Mississippi, and acquiring a bit of territory (future Southern MS and Southern AL). Bunt also supported increasing the residency for citizenship for any migrants to our country. Bunt continued the Northwest Indian War, which ended successfully midway through his second term, opening future Ohio and Indiana to settlement. Bunt leaves the next president at least two decision, 1) Will the Whiskey Rebellion leaders be pardoned? and 2) Will Bunt's desire for a professional army be reciprocated by Congress?

State of the Union Following Bunt's Decisions

National Strength: 3rd-tier country. The US now includes KY, VT, TN, with land cleared for settlement in future OH and IN. 

Military Strength: Weak, with no professional army and no navy. 

Foreign Affairs: Our ally France is now occasionally attacking our shipping in response to the Jay Treaty. Britain is strengthened in Europe, but they have removed their troops in our Territory in the West. They still impress our sailors into their navy however. We give tribute to the Barbary Pirates to protect our ships from pirate attacks. Relations with Spain are positive. 

Military engagements: Our mostly-militia based force is currently only defending against potential Indian attacks in the frontier. 

Economy: Weak-to-medium, but growing. We are still in debt, but we are on the pathway to paying it off. The outlook is hopeful, as revenue is coming in through tariff and taxation. Not much manufacturing and industrial production outside New England, which finally has at least one European-quality facility. Outlook for production growth is hopeful with Hamiltonian economic policies in place. The South is very agrarian, but profitable for the people. The agrarian sectors are critical of our current economic policies.

Trade: Protective Tariff allows for industrial growth in New England as well as revenue. The South opposes this tariff as it somewhat restricts their profits. International trade is growing because of the Jay Treaty with Britain. However, occasional attacks by the our so-called ally France on our shipping is putting slight dents in this trade. 

Budget: Small, and any revenue we gather is going to paying off the national debt. However, we were able to use the 80% of our budget that we were using on the late Indian War to help in paying off this debt. 

Social Harmony: Slight tension between Northern and Southern economies and world view. The South and West opposes the government's economic policies, but there is no threat of disunion at the moment. Some Northerners are upset about the Fugitive Slave Act as contradicts their Free State status. The Jay Treaty, which is wildly supported in New England, has increased tensions since the last election, most prominently in the South and West. . 

Immigration: Limited. Congress slightly increased the time to become a citizen. We have a lenient policy.  Mostly Protestant Scots-Irish, Protestant French, and a few Protestant Germans arrive, but they do not yet pose a danger to our more English-descent Protestant Culture. Most of these immigrants are moving to settle the West. If they move to a city, it is to NYC or Philadelphia.

Mood of the people: Positive and proud with mild grumblings in the South. and lands West of the Appalachians. 

Popularity of the Incumbent: Mostly high, with a 55% chance of reelection. There is some fatigue for the Bunt, as well as a fear of a lifetime president, but more Americans favor his presidency than do not. Bunt would more likely than not get reelected if he chooses to run for a 3rd term.  

Party Power: Federalists lead in the Senate, but they are no longer dominant. The US House and governorships are split between Federalists and Republicans. 

@WVProgressive @Reagan04 @Sami @Kingthero @vcczar @Rodja @Conservative Elector 2 @LokiLoki22 @Lyly @TheMiddlePolitical

Will Federalist Jefferson Bunt run for the presidency for a 3rd term? Who will aim to run for the president/vice presidency? [Please create a first and last name for your character, a home state, their office, their party (Fed or Rep), and some sort of response to Bunt's presidency that will allow us to see your potential platform. You have 24 hours to make a candidate. Please quote this entire message when responding to this or your nomination will not count.]

Presidential Office in Alexandria, Virginia

Sam Lewis: Thank you mister President, be confident I will defend your legacy, you can also count on my support!

However you know that I was close of the Confederalists, I can use it.

The Republican candidate seems more Federalist in his states' stances than the average of his party, but the election could be closer.

I am quite close of the Republican but I have a big difference in one thing.

Samuel Lewis enters in campain:

Name: Samuel Lewis Junior

State: NY

Political Party: Federakust

Current Profession: Vice President of the United States

Platform -

EconomyPromote and continue to devellop Hamilton's policies, invest a huge amount of money in the railroad research as some steel mills are quickly advancing right in Britain for 1796-1800.

=> Make industrial research and devellopment the first stake of the country.

On Jay Treaty: We want to maintain it but we can try to renegotiate some terms to accomodate the South.

States => Same than Republican: States should decide certain issues through referendums, no oppression from Washington

Defence: Establish a strong army first, then a navy according to the years and budget, devellop international cooperation for fighting piracy to reduce our costs.

Diplomacy: Continuation of the "US neutrality" with Europe, trade relationships are fine but we have to pay attention to the current war in Europe, the Directory in France is still fighting with half of Europe.

Immigration => Push West untill the Spanish borders without crossing it and offer free lands for investors and European manufacturors who want to bring their industries and create jobs that will increase our number of immigrants.

Grant national pardon for the actors of the Whiskey Rebellion in return of peacefull agreements rather than violence in future.

Samuel Lewis speech as Federalist candidate for the presidency:

My fellow americans

I want to thank President Bunt for his confidence! He won't be betrayed! President Bunt has been a great ruler and I have been honoured to learn so many years at his side.

I present him my best wishes for his health...as our country, he can have moment of sufferances, but the President is strong, and I'm sure he will recover.

I served him during years and I always got one goal at stake, along these past years,  economy.

It's time to win the American economic war of independence!

We can't have a great army if we can't have a great economic growth

We can't have enough immigrants if we can't have enough jobs for them

We can't have a great navy if it costs too much to us.

It's by research, economic devellopment and transportation innovation as news industries that the USA can only become A REAL INDEPENDENT state!

My speech is hence the following, President Bunt built our institutionnal independence.

President Lewis will build the economic independence this country now needs!

Vice Pres Samuel Lewis Jr takes as motto: "An industrial revolution for an independent state."

51 minutes ago, Sami said:

Presidential Office in Alexandria, Virginia

Sam Lewis: Thank you mister President, be confident I will defend your legacy, you can also count on my support!

However you know that I was close of the Confederalists, I can use it.

The Republican candidate seems more Federalist in his states' stances than the average of his party, but the election could be closer.

I am quite close of the Republican but I have a big difference in one thing.

Samuel Lewis enters in campain:

Name: Samuel Lewis Junior

State: NY

Political Party: Federakust

Current Profession: Vice President of the United States

Platform -

EconomyPromote and continue to devellop Hamilton's policies, invest a huge amount of money in the railroad research as some steel mills are quickly advancing right in Britain for 1796-1800.

=> Make industrial research and devellopment the first stake of the country.

On Jay Treaty: We want to maintain it but we can try to renegotiate some terms to accomodate the South.

States => Same than Republican: States should decide certain issues through referendums, no oppression from Washington

Defence: Establish a strong army first, then a navy according to the years and budget, devellop international cooperation for fighting piracy to reduce our costs.

Diplomacy: Continuation of the "US neutrality" with Europe, trade relationships are fine but we have to pay attention to the current war in Europe, the Directory in France is still fighting with half of Europe.

Immigration => Push West untill the Spanish borders without crossing it and offer free lands for investors and European manufacturors who want to bring their industries and create jobs that will increase our number of immigrants.

Grant national pardon for the actors of the Whiskey Rebellion in return of peacefull agreements rather than violence in future.

Samuel Lewis speech as Federalist candidate for the presidency:

My fellow americans

I want to thank President Bunt for his confidence! He won't be betrayed! President Bunt has been a great ruler and I have been honoured to learn so many years at his side.

I present him my best wishes for his health...as our country, he can have moment of sufferances, but the President is strong, and I'm sure he will recover.

I served him during years and I always got one goal at stake, along these past years,  economy.

It's time to win the American economic war of independence!

We can't have a great army if we can't have a great economic growth

We can't have enough immigrants if we can't have enough jobs for them

We can't have a great navy if it costs too much to us.

It's by research, economic devellopment and transportation innovation as news industries that the USA can only become A REAL INDEPENDENT state!

My speech is hence the following, President Bunt built our institutionnal independence.

President Lewis will build the economic independence this country now needs!

Vice Pres Samuel Lewis Jr takes as motto: "An industrial revolution for an independent state."

OOC: Wait a minute. How is there an industrial revolution being "proclaimed" when the spinning jenny, the foundation invention (along with the seed drill agricultural innovation) that was the foundation and cornerstone the RW Industrial Revolution was built along, won't be invented in ENGLAND for almost two years after the date of the meeting here?

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

OOC: Wait a minute. How is there an industrial revolution being "proclaimed" when the spinning jenny, the foundation invention (along with the seed drill agricultural innovation) that was the foundation and cornerstone the RW Industrial Revolution was built along, won't be invented in ENGLAND for almost two years after the date of the meeting here?

OOC: I can change the words if you want :P 

But indeed it's in the era of this term

I was mostly inspired by this: "In 1781 Scottish engineer James Watt patented a steam engine that produced continuous rotary motion.[5] Watt's ten-horsepower engines enabled a wide range of manufacturing machinery to be powered. The engines could be sited anywhere that water and coal or wood fuel could be obtained"

And this:

• Thomas Newcomen, in 1712, developed the first commercially successful piston steam engine of 5 horsepower (3,700 W). Its principle was to condense steam in a cylinder, thus causing atmospheric pressure to drive a piston and produce mechanical work.
  • James Watt, in 1781, patented a steam engine that produced continued rotary motion with a power of about 10 horsepower (7,500 W). It was the first type of steam engine to make use of steam at a pressure just above atmospheric to drive the piston helped by a partial vacuum. It was an improvement of Newcomen's engine.
  • After Richard Trevithick invented the lightweight, high-pressure steam engine in 1797-1799, steam engines became small enough to be used in smaller businesses and for use in steam locomotives.

31 minutes ago, Patine said:

OCC: It exists in Europe, and Samuel Slater was a fore-runner or a Father of the American Industrial Revolution beginning with his mill, which opened in 1790. I assume what VP Lewis means is that he wants to bring it to the US. The UK did what it could to hide their technical innovations, so much so that Francis Cabot Lowell, went to the UK in hiding, and memorized how to create some of the innovations and factory systems by memory, bringing it back with him and accurately reconstructing it. 

(We need at least one more Republican to run)

Jacob William Henderson
Scottsville, Virginia

US Representative, Republican party

Henderson, though aging and thinking of retirement before long himself, has given his assent to be nominated again. In previous years, Henderson proved himself a hard-liner anti-Federalist, but his views on the constitutionality of the federal government's abilities have softened somewhat. Henderson has come to echo the Bunt position in seeking a professional army separate from the state militias and supports a federal capital outside the bounds of any state as well. He also calls for the establishment of a navy, in order to stave off harassment of American sailors and trade routes, as well as strengthening foreign policy credentials. Henderson wants to encourage migration westward.

OOC: @vcczar I have edited a Wikistyle table, which I plan to include all upcoming presidents.

lp.png

6 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

OOC: @vcczar I have edited a Wikistyle table, which I plan to include all upcoming presidents.

lp.png

(Greeeaaaatt :D good work!

You could also create "wikistory" of the alternative US with the messages of vcczar as RP master at the end of each mandate but it's already a lot what you're doing)

6 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

lp.png

OCC: Excellent! @WVProgressive what would you give for Bunt's birthdate, and potential death date? For comparison, George Washington was born in 1732, making him abut 57 when he took office, and 65 when he left. He died in 1799, when he was about 67. 

1796 Election

This election is under the old rules in which each elector gets two votes: one for president and one for VP

Candidates: 

• Incumbent VP Samuel Lewis, Jr (Fed) of NY ( @Sami ) is hoping to follow his superior into office. Lewis is the leading national figure for an industrialized nation, so that we can compete with Europe commercially. He desired a professional army and expects to pardon the Whiskey Rebellion participants. He is willing to negotiate the Jay Treaty to appeal to Southerners; however, Britain is expected to rebuff any changes. Lewis is the favorite to carry most of the North. His appeals to the West may help him there. The Southerners want little to do with him and his nationalistic modernization plans.
  • Mr. Frederick Williams (Fed) of MA ( @Rodja ) similar to Timothy Stockton in the 1792 election, is a highly conflicted Federalist. In fact, his announced platform is about 50% Republican, as he hopes to raise taxes only on the rich, encourage immigrant friendly laws, opposes a protective tariff, and he wants to slow down the seeming trend toward Britain to something of a balance (which might be impossible). He does want a professional army and navy, and as an expert in military affairs, he is a leading spokesman. He has a shot at winning in MA, and possibly in the West. 
  • SC Justice Alexander William Blount (REP) of NC ( @Conservative Elector 2) is a popular judge. He wishes that the states decide some issues through referendum, and odd belief considering the office he holds. Unlike some in his party, he calls for a strong professional army and navy. While we don't yet have a navy, he still believes that we should stop paying tribute to the Barbary Pirates on principle. Blount opposes the protective tariff, and the Jay Treaty. He favors a relationship with France, despite the French Revolution and recent landgrabs. Blount is very pro-immigrant. Blount is likely to carry his state, and probably SC. He has a shot in GA and in the West. 
  • Rep. Jacob William Henderson (Rep) of VA ( @Lyly ) is a hardline anti-Federalist, popular to Westerners for his activism for settlement. He does differ from many in his party in that he supports Bunt's call for a professional army and navy. He has a shot in Virginia, in the West, and possibly in the South. 

Results:

Dice are rolled to determine:

• Connecticut: Wiliams 9; Lewis 9
  • Delaware: Lewis 3; Williams 3
  • Georgia: Blount 4; Henderson 4
  • Kentucky: Blount 4; Henderson 4
  • Maryland: Lewis 10; Henderson 10
  • Massachusetts: Williams 16; Lewis 16
  • New Hampshire: Lewis 6; Williams 6
  • New Jersey: Williams 7; Lewis 7
  • New York: Blount 12; Lewis 12
  • North Carolina: Henderson 12; Blount 12
  • Pennsylvania: Henderson 15; Lewis 15
  • Rhode Island: Williams 4; Lewis 4
  • South Carolina: Blount 8; Williams 8
  • Tennessee: Williams 3; Blount 3
  • Vermont: Williams 4; Lewis 4
  • Virginia: Blount 21; Henderson 21

VP Samuel Lewis (F-NY), 86 EVs *Lewis is elected President of the United States*

Rep. Henderson (R-VA), 66 EVs *Henderson is elected Vice President of the United States*

Assoc. Justice Blount (R-NC), 64 EVs 

Mr. Williams (F-MA), 62 EVs

Up next: Events/Decisions for Lewis's first term. 

Vice Presidential Office:

My congratulations Mister President!

The face of Lewis is hence more doubtfull than expected

Did you see the raise of the Republicans? They're increasing their supports. It will take a high and hard job to continue to defeat them in future.

However it's time to put modernity through the US! I do not support that we're continually dependent of the goodwill of the Great Britain for our trade exchanges.

Intronisation office:

Repeat after me:

I Samuel Lewis Junior

Do solemnly swear

That I will faithfully execute

The office of President of the United States

And will, to the best of my Ability,

Preserve, protect and defend,

The Constitution of the United States.

Then comes the question...does it need the presence of God? The South will surely prefer.

So Help me God!

Then it will be time to meet the Vice President...

The USA have to start the path of modernity in these next years or we will stay submitted.

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

OOC: @Sami "Submitted?" Don't you mean "committed?" Or are you proposing declaring vassalage to someone? :P

OOC: Submitted in the economic way :P

At this point of the history Great Britain still too much dominates the USA

"Yeah, you're cute but don't disturb us too much with your tariffs or your alliances" with for example the war of 1812 ^^

Fred Williams congratulates President Lewis and announces possibility of running again in 1800! 

Associate Justice Blount congratulates President Lewis and Vice President Henderson on their election. The decision to run for a fourth time will be made when the election is upcoming, perhaps he will endorse a very good friend (OOC: maybe I will create a new character. We will see)

5 hours ago, vcczar said:

OCC: Excellent! @WVProgressive what would you give for Bunt's birthdate, and potential death date? For comparison, George Washington was born in 1732, making him abut 57 when he took office, and 65 when he left. He died in 1799, when he was about 67. 

OOC: Yes please feed me with information for this hahah.

I have so much Korean language homework and three tests upcoming, I hope I can produce the map until tomorrow evening. I will try to do it immediately

I created it quickly. I hope you like it and i hope it doesnt include any flaws. @WVProgressive @Sami @vcczar @Rodja @Lyly 

5ade3743815dd_Legend(1).thumb.png.2836d35eaebfde9258fa6e6de76a5a34.png

lp2.thumb.png.bea297b56c7b77f46e7c8edf1b3668d8.png

30 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Associate Justice Blount congratulates President Lewis and Vice President Henderson on their election. The decision to run for a fourth time will be made when the election is upcoming, perhaps he will endorse a very good friend (OOC: maybe I will create a new character. We will see)

I have so much Korean language homework and three tests upcoming, I hope I can produce the map until tomorrow evening. I will try to do it immediately

You better be careful you don't excel too much in you Korean classes - lest the Chancellor of Austria think you'd make an awesome Ambassador to Pyongyang that won't be misunderstood... :P 

Just now, Patine said:

You better be careful you don't excel too much in you Korean classes - lest the Chancellor of Austria think you'd make an awesome Ambassador to Pyongyang that won't be misunderstood... :P 

Hahahaha I really appreaciate such jokes after a very long day at university :D 

6 hours ago, vcczar said:

1 hour ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

President Jefferson Bunt was born 1731 and died in 1801.  @vcczar,@Conservative Elector 2.

(I think I'll begin to run in the 1800 or 1804 cycles.)