Jump to content
270soft Forum
vcczar

New Historical President RP

Recommended Posts

Godfrey Henry catches Typhoid after Visit to Florida, Health on Decline

"...I was ready to lead a war, but it looks like Florida ended up finishing me.

 

I severely worry of a House Divided..."

 

Two term NY Senator John Wesley Takes over Party, Gives an Address days after Morris takes the Oath of Office

I regret to inform you all that due to our former President's typhoid fever, and the fact that he is no longer until doctoral care due to losing the office of the Presidency, Godfrey Henry has passed away in the year 1849.

 

@Conservative Elector 2 official death date

 

The American Progress Party stands for Unity and Growth, and under Henry the economy was growing, territory was gained, and sadly unity was at peril; however, we shall progress into the future maintaining the values of Growth and pushing for a unity that may be achieved one day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Kingthero said:

Godfrey Henry catches Typhoid after Visit to Florida, Health on Decline

"...I was ready to lead a war, but it looks like Florida ended up finishing me.

 

I severely worry of a House Divided..."

 

Two term NY Senator John Wesley Takes over Party, Gives an Address days after Morris takes the Oath of Office

I regret to inform you all that due to our former President's typhoid fever, and the fact that he is no longer until doctoral care due to losing the office of the Presidency, Godfrey Henry has passed away in the year 1849.

 

@Conservative Elector 2 official death date

 

The American Progress Party stands for Unity and Growth, and under Henry the economy was growing, territory was gained, and sadly unity was at peril; however, we shall progress into the future maintaining the values of Growth and pushing for a unity that may be achieved one day.

OCC: Pres. Henry was a strange mix of James K. Polk, Stephen A. Douglas, and Franklin Pierce. Very interesting for this RP for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
State of the Union for Mar 1849. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

National Strength: We are a 2nd-tier country as our industrial production is relatively great. Internal improvements are aiding in expanding this production. We are currently ranked a distant 3rd in industrial production behind Great Britain (now in first) and France. 

Military Strength: We have 80,000 troops and 24 warships. Mexico has a larger army, and we have a larger navy. 

Foreign Affairs: We currently have a trade deal with Spain, after having acquired Florida. Relations are bad with France. We are likely to go to war with Mexico, and we have a secret gold-military treaty with Great Britain. We have a trade deal with China. 

Military: Our forces are heading to California, and also exist in Oregon Territory and in Florida. 

Economy: The economy has recovered, and is now expanding. 

Trade: Tariff is high a protective. We have trade deals with Spain and China. 

Budget: Our budget is increasing because of major production, a very high tariff, and increased taxes. Our debt is expected to be paid off by 1850 (in two years!). 

Social Harmony: Harmony is not good. Free and Slave States are completely at odds, and the country is getting more divided with each year. "Bleeding Florida" is roundly considered to be a mess, with violence common. The state entered tentatively as a Free State, and was confirmed as much by the native population. This has greatly enraged the South to the point of considering secession. 

Immigration: We are not seeing significant numbers of immigrants or emigrants. 

Mood of the people: The mood is exceptionally volatile with fears of war, bloodshed, secession, etc. 

Popularity of the Incumbent: Pres. Morris is popular in New England, and extremely unpopular in the South. Elsewhere, people are uncertain and slightly scared about how he will run the country. 

Party Power: No single party has an advantage, since the country is split between three parties. The Federalists have slightly larger representation in the US House, and now as well in the US Senate. 

Events and Decisions for March 1849-March 1853 for @WVProgressive Pres. Morris

1) War with Mexico

Following the discovery of gold in California, Pres. Henry declared war on Mexico first, seconded by Congress, and then issued an ultimatum on Mexico to cede territory or risk invasion. Pres. Morris also learns of a secret treaty with the British that Pres. Henry and expansionist leaders conducted, giving Britain rights to some gold mines in exchange for Britain paying for a year's worth of the war effort. As President, you have the option of continuing the War or attempting to diffuse or end it. 

2) Bleeding Florida

The military is still cracking down on fights between pro-abolitionist and pro-slavery settlers in Florida. The state is a free state, but Southern settlers are coming in droves in an attempt to win the legislature in 4 years to overturn the state constitution. The South has been threatening to secede over this issue, especially with Morris as president. . 

3) Expansionist want Louisiana

Expansionists meet with you in the White House, demanding that we reacquire French Louisiana at all costs. Napoleon II is now dead, and Napoleon III (a cousin) is now the new monarch. We know little of him. 

4) Iowa statehood

Iowa wished to be admitted as a Free State. Do you support Iowa entering the Union?

5) Bank Charter

The National Bank charter, opposed by Southerners, has expired. Will you renew the charter for another 10 years?

6) Tariff and taxes

Now that our National Debt has been paid off under your term, Southerners demand that the tariff be lowered drastically, and that taxes be greatly lowered. 

7) Irish immigration

A famine in Ireland has prompted thousands of Irish people to flock to our cities. Many US citizens are demanding stricter immigration laws and protections for US citizens working in factories, as industrialists begin to employ this cheap labor. 

😎 A Compromise on Slavery?

Moderates in Congress and in the US House have cobbled together a compromise amid the South threatening to secede over Florida. The terms have been submitted as followed, and they include: 1) That we will wage war on Mexico and French Louisiana to acquire Louisiana and Texas as Slave States. 2) We will pass a stricter Fugitive Slave Act. 3) When we annex California, it will be a Free State. 4) DC will be a Free Territory. 5) Florida will be reverted back to a Slave State 6) Popular sovereignty will decide the fate of all future territories. 7) No Free State will be admitted without a Slave State and vice versa. 😎 Abolition will be outlawed in the Constitution. 

9) Proposal by Great Britain

Great Britain wished to share in the construction of a canal in Central America. Would you agree to a treaty in which both countries share in this effort to make maritime trade more efficient?

10) Trade in Japan

Your Sec of State suggests that we force Japan to open trade with us. We had opened trade with China a few terms ago, but the British are getting the upper hand. Japan has been closed to the west, but if we force them open, we would have a huge leap on trade in Japan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, vcczar said:

😎 A Compromise on Slavery?

Moderates in Congress and in the US House have cobbled together a compromise amid the South threatening to secede over Florida. The terms have been submitted as followed, and they include: 1) That we will wage war on Mexico and French Louisiana to acquire Louisiana and Texas as Slave States. 2) We will pass a stricter Fugitive Slave Act. 3) When we annex California, it will be a Free State. 4) DC will be a Free Territory. 5) Florida will be reverted back to a Slave State 6) Popular sovereignty will decide the fate of all future territories. 7) No Free State will be admitted without a Slave State and vice versa. 😎 Abolition will be outlawed in the Constitution. 

No, this is no compromise, this is a give away to the slave-power that have I fought against my entire public life!

27 minutes ago, vcczar said:

10) Trade in Japan

Your Sec of State suggests that we force Japan to open trade with us. We had opened trade with China a few terms ago, but the British are getting the upper hand. Japan has been closed to the west, but if we force them open, we would have a huge leap on trade in Japan. 

Yes, this is beneficial to both parties as it improves our economy, and also helps spread ideas of democracy and will give the Japanese access to some of the wonderful modernization the rest of world has experienced in the past decades.

33 minutes ago, vcczar said:

5) Bank Charter

The National Bank charter, opposed by Southerners, has expired. Will you renew the charter for another 10 years?

I shall renew the charter as that is the only sane move in an economics sence

32 minutes ago, vcczar said:

9) Proposal by Great Britain

Great Britain wished to share in the construction of a canal in Central America. Would you agree to a treaty in which both countries share in this effort to make maritime trade more efficient?

Yes, though I'd think whoever aids the construction more should be given some privileges in relation to the canal.

41 minutes ago, vcczar said:

3) Expansionist want Louisiana

Expansionists meet with you in the White House, demanding that we reacquire French Louisiana at all costs. Napoleon II is now dead, and Napoleon III (a cousin) is now the new monarch. We know little of him. 

Make an offer to purchase Louisiana from France.

43 minutes ago, vcczar said:

6) Tariff and taxes

Now that our National Debt has been paid off under your term, Southerners demand that the tariff be lowered drastically, and that taxes be greatly lowered. 

We'll lower Tariffs by a rate recommended by our nations economists.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OCC: @WVProgressive I'll respond to your actions after you respond to every event/decision

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vcczar said:

7) Irish immigration

A famine in Ireland has prompted thousands of Irish people to flock to

our cities. Many US citizens are demanding stricter immigration laws and protections for US citizens working in factories, as industrialists begin to employ this cheap labor. 

I'd sign a stricter immigration law as well as worker protection laws if congress passes them. 

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

1) War with Mexico

Following the discovery of gold in California, Pres. Henry declared war on Mexico first, seconded by Congress, and then issued an ultimatum on Mexico to cede territory or risk invasion. Pres. Morris also learns of a secret treaty with the British that Pres. Henry and expansionist leaders conducted, giving Britain rights to some gold mines in exchange for Britain paying for a year's worth of the war effort. As President, you have the option of continuing the War or attempting to diffuse or end it. 

In a bid to appease some of my opponents, I choose to continue this war.

 

I support Iowa statehood.

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

4) Iowa statehood

Iowa wished to be admitted as a Free State. Do you support Iowa entering the Union?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vcczar said:

2) Bleeding Florida

The military is still cracking down on fights between pro-abolitionist and pro-slavery settlers in Florida. The state is a free state, but Southern settlers are coming in droves in an attempt to win the legislature in 4 years to overturn the state constitution. The South has been threatening to secede over this issue, especially with Morris as president. . 

Have the military ensure that violence does not break out, condemn the pro-slavery emigration as pure political gamesmanship but do not stop it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WVProgressive said:

No, this is no compromise, this is a give away to the slave-power that have I fought against my entire public life!

Upon news of Pres. Morris refusing to sign the Compromise, South Carolina and Georgia call for a secession convention. They send diplomats to other states to encourage the same. The Sec of War wonders if we can handle a War on Mexico and a Civil War simultaneously, should the latter occur. The General in Florida, requests reinforcements now, since he believes he will be cut off, should  the South secede. He promised to hold Florida. 

1 hour ago, WVProgressive said:

Make an offer to purchase Louisiana from France.

Napoleon III received your diplomat. He states that he will consider the offer, but having read of a potential secession convention, he wonders if it is in the US's best interest to take on a state that might join the South. He says he will hold on to it, and requests that you ask again when the crisis has been resolved. He states that he has also received offers from Mexico, which has the gold (from California) to purchase it. 

34 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

I'd sign a stricter immigration law as well as worker protection laws if congress passes them. 

Congress overwhelming passes an Immigration Act, which bans Irish immigrants from the country, and extends the period to attain citizenship to a residency of 12 years. The pass a Workers Protection Bill that requires the industrial and textile industries to hire immigrants only if no American citizen is applying for the job. The latter probably cannot be enforced, however, but it makes the people happy. Both Acts are placed on your desk for your signature. 

37 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

In a bid to appease some of my opponents, I choose to continue this war.

Mexico refuses the ultimatum sent by the Henry administration. The Mexican Army calls for volunteers, and sends its military to California and to Texas. We have heard that they are seeking aid from France. The Sec of War has sent our military to the US Mexican border in California and in Texas, but has not crossed the boundaries yet, as the Sec of War awaits your decisions regarding the crisis in the South. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Upon news of Pres. Morris refusing to sign the Compromise, South Carolina and Georgia call for a secession convention. They send diplomats to other states to encourage the same. The Sec of War wonders if we can handle a War on Mexico and a Civil War simultaneously, should the latter occur. The General in Florida, requests reinforcements now, since he believes he will be cut off, should  the South secede. He promised to hold Florida. 

Offer to compromise with SC and GA and sign the compromise on the caveat that abolition is not made illegal in the constitution.

30 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Congress overwhelming passes an Immigration Act, which bans Irish immigrants from the country, and extends the period to attain citizenship to a residency of 12 years. The pass a Workers Protection Bill that requires the industrial and textile industries to hire immigrants only if no American citizen is applying for the job. The latter probably cannot be enforced, however, but it makes the people happy. Both Acts are placed on your desk for your signature. 

I sign both bills.

30 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Mexico refuses the ultimatum sent by the Henry administration. The Mexican Army calls for volunteers, and sends its military to California and to Texas. We have heard that they are seeking aid from France. The Sec of War has sent our military to the US Mexican border in California and in Texas, but has not crossed the boundaries yet, as the Sec of War awaits your decisions regarding the crisis in the South. 

30 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Napoleon III received your diplomat. He states that he will consider the offer, but having read of a potential secession convention, he wonders if it is in the US's best interest to take on a state that might join the South. He says he will hold on to it, and requests that you ask again when the crisis has been resolved. He states that he has also received offers from Mexico, which has the gold (from California) to purchase it. 

I await the south's reaction to my action on secession for a full decision, but I tell the troops to entrench and await further developments on the home front.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

Offer to compromise with SC and GA and sign the compromise on the caveat that abolition is not made illegal in the constitution.

As time has passed Congress rushes to recreated the act with the caveat. Georgia and South Carolina do not sent representatives or senators. New England opposes the compromise, but the MidAtlantic and Midwest accept it. It barely passes. The bill is rushed to the president's desk. 

27 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

I await the south's reaction to my action on secession for a full decision, but I tell the troops to entrench and await further developments on the home front.

Meanwhile, Mexican troops are within 20 miles of US troops at the California and Texas borders. We have received word that the Mexicans threaten to blow up the gold mines, rather than allow US forces to take a spec of Gold. Napoleon III has issues a declaration to both the US and Mexico stating that 1) As the French are the only country with gold rights in Mexico, that they will aid the Mexicans in California, and use their Navy in both the Pacific and Atlantic to defend France's interests. 2) Any future offer to purchase Louisiana by the US, in the future, will be ignored. 

Expansionists and War Hawks believe that we should take the gold, regardless of threats. Doves and isolationists believe that the war would be reckless, and greed seems to be the only motive. Expansionists and war hawks counter that Mexico will become too powerful with so much gold, and we will never be able to expand or dominate the hemisphere. The doves and isolationists believe that they have a splendid country as it is, and domination shouldn't be a goal. Besides, the South could leave at any moment, and we'd face two wars at once. Expansionists and war hawks argues that military might will cower the South into staying in the Union if we show brutal force in the West. The arguments continue to go back and forth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

As time has passed Congress rushes to recreated the act with the caveat. Georgia and South Carolina do not sent representatives or senators. New England opposes the compromise, but the MidAtlantic and Midwest accept it. It barely passes. The bill is rushed to the president's desk

I sign it, and pray the south sees reason.

5 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Meanwhile, Mexican troops are within 20 miles of US troops at the California and Texas borders. We have received word that the Mexicans threaten to blow up the gold mines, rather than allow US forces to take a spec of Gold. Napoleon III has issues a declaration to both the US and Mexico stating that 1) As the French are the only country with gold rights in Mexico, that they will aid the Mexicans in California, and use their Navy in both the Pacific and Atlantic to defend France's interests. 2) Any future offer to purchase Louisiana by the US, in the future, will be ignored. 

Expansionists and War Hawks believe that we should take the gold, regardless of threats. Doves and isolationists believe that the war would be reckless, and greed seems to be the only motive. Expansionists and war hawks counter that Mexico will become too powerful with so much gold, and we will never be able to expand or dominate the hemisphere. The doves and isolationists believe that they have a splendid country as it is, and domination shouldn't be a goal. Besides, the South could leave at any moment, and we'd face two wars at once. Expansionists and war hawks argues that military might will cower the South into staying in the Union if we show brutal force in the West. The arguments continue to go back and forth. 

Reach out across the world and promise Gold Rights should we win to anyone who offers to help us France can't stop a united, league of nations. Our offensive strategy should be to take the gold mines and Louisiana as soon as a possible, our defensive strategy, should be to entrench and drain the enemy of moral and man power while razing any ground lost so as to not allow the enemy any use of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, WVProgressive said:

I sign it, and pray the south sees reason.

Reach out across the world and promise Gold Rights should we win to anyone who offers to help us France can't stop a united, league of nations. Our offensive strategy should be to take the gold mines and Louisiana as soon as a possible, our defensive strategy, should be to entrench and drain the enemy of moral and man power while razing any ground lost so as to not allow the enemy any use of it. 

OCC: Will Iowa be a state in the next election? Is the balance of free/slave states tipping towards the free ones?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, WVProgressive said:

I sign it, and pray the south sees reason.

The Southern leaders of SC and GA, nearing a vote of secession, have opted to wait for the results of the Mexican War. They wish to know the terms of the treaty that will be imposed on Mexico (territorial grabs, etc) before the war ends. This is so they can secede while US and Mexico is engaged in War, so they can do so without threat of Northern invasion. They expect to know the preliminary terms as soon as possible. Additionally, AL, MS, NC, TN, and AR, are also considering secession. VA, KY, MO, MD, DE are currently opposed to secession. 

11 hours ago, WVProgressive said:

Reach out across the world and promise Gold Rights should we win to anyone who offers to help us France can't stop a united, league of nations. Our offensive strategy should be to take the gold mines and Louisiana as soon as a possible, our defensive strategy, should be to entrench and drain the enemy of moral and man power while razing any ground lost so as to not allow the enemy any use of it. 

Europe is more or less locked out against waging war on France because of the Treaty which broke up France's empire. As you know, UK is offering financial aid to the US secretly, and illegally. The generals send the armies into both California and Texas. The delay on the invasion, interrupted by the election as well, has allowed Mexican forced to build defensive works near their borders.

Within three weeks of the War, France declares War on the United States. The Louisiana militia defends Louisiana. The French navy enters the Atlantic and the Pacific. French professionals are expected to land in New Orleans, Galveston, and San Francisco. 

A secret dispatch from the UK offers an extension of aid beyond the previously agreed year, if the war is going well. They cannot join said war until the effect of the old French Treaty expire in four years. 

Military situation, occurring during the election year:

California - Our forces cross into northern California. Despite great defensive works by Mexico, General Taylor Zachary breaks though the defensive lines rather quickly. They will attempt to head South before turning towards to the mines. The French professionals will join the Mexicans in a month. 

Raid from the South West - Mexican cavalry has sprung out of the Southwest territory (AZ and NM) and is raiding settlers on both sides of the Rocky Mountains. They aim to cut off our supply and communication lines, but they have run into trouble with local Indian tribes. 

Texas -- Our troops, under General Scott Winfield, precede from Arkansas into Mexican Texas. After several failed attempts to breach the initial defensive works at the border, we have broken through. Our aim here is to cut down the middle of Texas, to the Rio Grande. 

Pacific Ocean - The French Navy has arrived and obliterated the few ships in the make-shift harbors in Oregon Territory. 

Gulf of Mexico - Our 20 Warships are in the Gulf (4 are defending the Atlantic coast). The French have sent 20 ships to combine with Mexico's 10 ships. We need to clear the Gulf for an amphibious landing at Vera Cruz. They need to clear the Gulf for an amphibious landing in Galveston and New Orleans. The initial naval battles are inconclusive. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@vcczar I'd like to throw in that Tennessee was usually apart of the middle U.S until the last 2 or 3 terms. What happened?

 

Also daily reminder that my deal with the British is literally one of the most amazing deals of all time, especially since they are even offering to extend it after I did the massive pre-pay thing.

 

I had to brag I miss Henry lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Kingthero said:

@vcczar I'd like to throw in that Tennessee was usually apart of the middle U.S until the last 2 or 3 terms. What happened?

 

Also daily reminder that my deal with the British is literally one of the most amazing deals of all time, especially since they are even offering to extend it after I did the massive pre-pay thing.

 

I had to brag I miss Henry lol

OCC: They're a Slave State. Some of the states belong to two regions. Tennessee and Arkansas are both Western and Both Southern at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

OCC: They're a Slave State. Some of the states belong to two regions. Tennessee and Arkansas are both Western and Both Southern at this point. 

Yea I was just curious, because irl Tennessee was the last state to secede, and it was a close vote, so I was wondering how inner politics were working.

 

It is interesting to see that in our timeline we kinda pushed the south more south.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kingthero said:

Yea I was just curious, because irl Tennessee was the last state to secede, and it was a close vote, so I was wondering how inner politics were working.

 

It is interesting to see that in our timeline we kinda pushed the south more south.

Occ: There hasn't been a real effort to contain slavery, really. Had Morris run as his more radical self, he would have probably forced the civil war with as many, if not more states against him than there were in real life. However, he said he would allow it to exist and signed a compromise. Additionally, his VP swore to protect slavery. So it's a different scenario. I have no clue how it's going to play out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OCC: Unless @WVProgressive wants to make any responses to the latest action report, I'll type of the state of the union for Pres. Morris's term. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vcczar said:

OCC: Unless @WVProgressive wants to make any responses to the latest action report, I'll type of the state of the union for Pres. Morris's term. 

Since there's been a bit of a lull haha, here's something.

Lobbyist and former lawyer Benjamin Brown of Iowa has returned from DC back to his native Des Moines, and has been using his many funds to canvass the state. With the statehood of Iowa not yet certain, Mr. Brown is preparing for an upcoming Senate run. At age 49, he is fairly young and can wait before having presidential aspirations. His political party is largely unknown, because his sole lobbying point of view was for Iowan statehood. It is suspected he is a part of the Federalist party. Dream aspiration is either Secretary of State or even a run at the presidency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, vcczar said:

The Southern leaders of SC and GA, nearing a vote of secession, have opted to wait for the results of the Mexican War. They wish to know the terms of the treaty that will be imposed on Mexico (territorial grabs, etc) before the war ends. This is so they can secede while US and Mexico is engaged in War, so they can do so without threat of Northern invasion. They expect to know the preliminary terms as soon as possible. Additionally, AL, MS, NC, TN, and AR, are also considering secession. VA, KY, MO, MD, DE are currently opposed to secession.

I will make a last ditch effort to convince the south not to succeed and go on a speaking tour of all states considering secession.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

I will make a last ditch effort to convince the south not to succeed and go on a speaking tour of all states considering secession.

Former Vice Presidents Bigelow and Carlyle, as well as Arkansas Senator Richardson (And all the characters I created and who are still living) support the President's call for unity of our nation. They believe that giving up the Union would be a very very bad idea. Those men are also travelling to the South to speak to their brothers in order to convince them to remain within the Union.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Former Vice Presidents Bigelow and Carlyle, as well as Arkansas Senator Richardson (And all the characters I created and who are still living) support the President's call for unity of our nation. They believe that giving up the Union would be a very very bad idea. Those men are also travelling to the South to speak to their brothers in order to convince them to remain within the Union.

 

Senator Aaron Banks of West Virginia, a Republican, echoes the former VPs calls for unity and advocates that all Senators agree to preserve the Union over all else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Senator Aaron Banks of West Virginia, a Republican, echoes the former VPs calls for unity and advocates that all Senators agree to preserve the Union over all else.

OOC: Sadly my state is still a part of Virginia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WVProgressive said:

OOC: Sadly my state is still a part of Virginia.

OOC:(Poop, the map I saw earlier just had them divided, must've been just the website used), changed to Maryland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
State of the Union for Election Day 1852

----------------------------------------------------------------------

National Strength: We are a 2nd-tier country as our industrial production is relatively great. Internal improvements are aiding in expanding this production. We are currently ranked a distant 3rd in industrial production behind Great Britain (now in first) and France. 

Military Strength: We have 80,000 troops and 24 warships. Mexico has a larger army, and we have a larger navy. 

Foreign Affairs: We have a secret treaty with Great Britain. We are at war with Mexico and France. 

Military: We are at war with Mexico and France. Our army is doing well in California and Texas. The Naval battles in the Gulf have been inconclusive. We are winning the war, so far, but it is early. 

Economy: The economy is sliding since trade is hampered by the war. Stocks are dropping because of fears of an expanded war and of secession. 

Trade: The tariff is now moderate. Trade is restrict because of the war. 

Budget: We have paid off the debt. Tariff and taxes are moderate. Our budget is at a good level, especially since Great Britain is paying for the war...for now. 

Social Harmony: Harmony is not good. The South threatens to secede while we are at War with Mexico. The primary cause of the secession threat is Florida's status as a Free State. 

Immigration: We had a massive influx of Irish, but we have now banned Irish immigrants. 

Mood of the people: Not good; except for the expansionists, who are happy. 

Popularity of the Incumbent: Pres. Morris maintains some popularity in New England, but they are upset on how much he's compromised. Much of the country has more respect for him than they had when he was a more puritan abolitionist. Expansionists have a conflicted feeling on Morris. 

Party Power: No single party has an advantage, since the country is split between three parties. The Federalists have slightly larger representation in the US House, and now as well in the US Senate. 

Will Pres. Morris run for reelection? @WVProgressive  If not, who will be the Federalist candidate? Who will run as the Republican? Who will run as the American Progressive candidate? Will the Deep South even participate in the election? Fill out the following, if your character is running for president:

Name and position:

Residential state:

Party:

Platform (have a position on the bold sections of this State of the Union):

Create a VP for a different party: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×